CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Weekend Project: CLK55 Brake System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 02:54 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Originally Posted by FFXF1
Spent about 7 hours stripping & sanding. Another five painting, decals and clear
Coat.

Just waiting for the new rotors, Porterfield pads and Goodridge Phantoms to show up, then it's back to the shop to put it back together.

I'm happy with the final product. Son-in-law just graduated from Virginia Tech with an engineering degree. He interned with Bobby Gordon Racing over the summers. Just got hired by Ford Motors to be a test engineer. Good to have an experienced hand close by.

Looks freaking amazing. So I know this is an older thread but wanted to ask a couple questions.

How exactly did you strip the old paint off the calipers? Mine have chips/missing paint and overall look like ***. What's the best way of stripping it? I read that people use sand paper but that can't get into the nooks and crannies. Plus I would think it would take forever. Did you use chemicals?

How are they holding up years later?

I was thinking of getting them powder coated but honestly would rather not spend $600. I keep reading that the DIY paints eventually just don't last to cleaning products. But the VHT burnt copper looks awesome! I really want this done. Note that I have no problems disassembling the calipers/pulling pistons/seals to strip them and do it properly.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 01-12-2017, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
He no longer has the car.

Use a chemical stripper, but remove the calipers from the car and mask off anything you do not want to be damaged.

It is ALL about the prep work before painting. Use a HIGH temp paint and work slowly adding layers.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
Looks freaking amazing. So I know this is an older thread but wanted to ask a couple questions.

How exactly did you strip the old paint off the calipers? Mine have chips/missing paint and overall look like ***. What's the best way of stripping it? I read that people use sand paper but that can't get into the nooks and crannies. Plus I would think it would take forever. Did you use chemicals?

How are they holding up years later?

I was thinking of getting them powder coated but honestly would rather not spend $600. I keep reading that the DIY paints eventually just don't last to cleaning products. But the VHT burnt copper looks awesome! I really want this done. Note that I have no problems disassembling the calipers/pulling pistons/seals to strip them and do it properly.

Thanks,
-Nigel
you can sandblast them. thats what the professional caliper refurbishing places doing. they sandblasting them if they are in a really bad condition powdercoating them and putting everything back.
i wa going to do this kind of refurbish but decided to get it powdercoated.