CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Yet Another Thread on W209 Jack Points

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2014 | 11:20 AM

2003 Chevy Tahoe
Yet Another Thread on W209 Jack Points

Spent the weekend detailing the 55. Used a set of Reverse Logic jack stands and jack pad. Worked like magic!

No problems using a floor jack on the centerline jack point to get the jack stands under the forward jack points.

The rears were a different story. Using a floor jack in the front spare tire jack point, getting the car high enough off the ground to get the blocks into the rear support cups put a lot of torsion on the car - more than I'm comfortable with.

I've done a lot of research across MBWorld on the subject - with no definitive answer on how best to jack up the rear of a 209. Some say you can use a floor jack on the rear diff, some say you can't.

So - is it safe to lift the car from the front spare tire jack point high enough to get a jack stand in the rear cups, and second, what's the best (safest) method for jacking up the rear of the 209?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2014 | 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
The safest way for most cars (rusted out 914s don't fall under "most") is to use the factory jack points. If I don't have to remove the wheels, I use wooden stands under the tires. The wood cost about $25 for all four corners, it won't collapse like concrete bricks (and concrete brick will collapse, they're just waiting for you to get under the car before they do), and you don't have to worry about someone (or an earthquake) knocking the car off the stands. The table saw cost a little extra, but a guy can never have enough tools.

Old 08-19-2014 | 12:08 AM

09 CLK550
I've always used the rear diff on the w209 and w203 coupes.