CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

///AMG Won't Start - Doctor I Think The Beast Is In A Coma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
///AMG Won't Start - Doctor I Think The Beast Is In A Coma

Woke Up today - 19 degrees outside - But the garage is heated and the BEAST won't turn over ! check engine light is on and the Tranny is acting up and not in a good way - So I called my MB service department -" Oh I'm Sorry to hear that Mr... Marrero, I Am Also Sorry to inform you that we have no loaner cars available also, How bad is your CLK55" - "Well It won't start, So I would say Pretty Bad" ! - How's Next Week for you sir" - Well Considering The Car is not operational, I would say NOT GOOD ! - HELLO - OK, Sir Can I have a number where I could reach you" = 1-800-your dear ship sucks" In All may years of driving high end cars - I never experienced such a sad *** excuse of customer service - I am pretty dam sure this will be my last MB - Can you say hello PORSCHE AGAIN - I can and Will - 14 more months and I go back home. The AMG has been a god car, but for the dollar the level of service is sorry, the technical staff are clueless and the dam annoying little quirks. Not to mention I often hear them ripping away when I drop off the beast - WHAT THE MOTHER ! Anyway just venting... Dead overpriced auto really **** me off.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55, 2002 CLK55, 2005 SLK350 also a 2009 BMW 335-IX
Looks like "Customer No-Service" to me...

Give 'em hell 5439cc!

The car is DOA for Pete's sake. Do they expect you to walk or something. What ever happened to that roadside service ML320 I used to see in my area. (I live about 1 mile from the dealer) Doesn't your dealer have one to dispatch to your place to at least look a the dead carcass?

Please post an update when appropriate.

Best to you.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi S4
very weird you brought that up....the past 3 - 4 days, the c280 has been acting up and hasnt started...the battery went completely dead.... it just like fell apart the past week, ive been stuck driving the land cruiser. the clk55 has also been somewhat falling apart, but its due for service anyways, both cars. the clk started beeping at me yesterday saying it was running low on brake fluid ahhhhhh yeah i think i wanna make a change sometime soon too...
Old 01-09-2004, 08:09 AM

2002 C32 AMG
If I can get a good number for my CLK55 I am gone - I am currently looking for an 02/03 996 again - the hunt is on.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Unhappy Please reconsider trading in the "Beast"...

I've gotten the impression from your previous posts that you're happy with your CLK55. It sounds like this is a customer service issue, and not any issue with the car itself. Having worked as a service adviser before, I know that loaner cars are a real issue, and that there were never enough of them for as many customers that needed them, so that's why the dealership needs some notice to have a loaner available. It's just not realistic to have as many loaners that would be needed to meet the demand as they would require dozens of them. Bigger dealerships bring in about 75+ cars for service each day. About a third to half of those car owners request a loaner. What they should have done however, is gotten a rental car for you that Mercedes Benz warranty would have paid for. No excuse there. Anyway, I'd just hate to see you get out of a car that you really like over a dealer service issue. What about another dealership? I'd suggest that you just wait until the beast is running again before you make any final decisions. You would know much better than me being that you've owned one, but I've hear that Porsches reliability and dealer service can be a nightmare , and you may leap from the proverbial frying pan into the fire...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 01-09-2004, 08:24 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Merc - Thanks for taking time out to educate me - Really - I understand, But my issues with the CLK55 are more of a personal preference than a problem with the actual car itself - I guess I just missed the Handling and Style of the 996. The AMG is a great car, I guess it's not just a Great Car for me. Once I can get a responsible dollar on my Trade in, I will move back to the Porsche Platform. Again I say It's Only My Preference nothing more.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Audi S4
how about keeping the clk55 for a beater and getting the porsche?? at least consider keeping it, it may be a hot item in the future, you never know
Old 01-11-2004, 03:05 AM

'05 C55
Having recently gone through a similar situation (there's a post here somewhere.....*smile*) I know your pain. The three times my car was in I ended up with a C Class loaner. One of the three times they were out of cars and drove my wife home and came and got her when a car became avaialabe later that day. I can understand the limited # of loaners....but I think considering the "prestige factor" of Mercedes service they need to make the extra effort (ie offer to get a rental car).

I also looked at a Porsche while my car was down. An '03 996 cab to be specific. The one thing that kept me out of it was the lack of that "press your neck into the seatrest" feeling of v8 torque that I get in the CLK. The Porsche is a fine car, I've just enjoyed the whole displacement thing. I lust for a supercharger.

Anyone driven an Audi S4? I'm curious how that little car feels with the V8 crammed under the hood......

So, short version: Porsche nice car, I like the CLK55 better personally and will keep it until I find something I like as much.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 55 AMG March 2000
So, short version: Porsche nice car, I like the CLK55 better personally and will keep it until I find something I like as much.
Me too,
I drove the Porsche and came to the same conclusion.

But the new Corvette is a nice looking car...

Stefan
Old 01-11-2004, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
That's bad news especially since I'm considering getting a W208 55 as a graduation present.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:46 PM

'05 C55
Originally posted by V8 forever
Me too,
I drove the Porsche and came to the same conclusion.

But the new Corvette is a nice looking car...

Stefan
The photos certainly look good. I'm waiting to sit in a production model to see how much they've improved the interior. I always hated that the console of the "high end model" from Chevy had the same radio as the Cavalier. Not to mention that service is handled by the same mechanic working on that same Cavalier. *shrug*
Old 01-12-2004, 09:31 AM

2002 C32 AMG
I have no idea what you guys are talking about ?

I just came back from a test drive of a 03 - 996 TARGA and dam she was quick, 320hp and 315trq at 2980lbs she is plenty fast and yes "SHE PULLS ON MY NECK" maybe not as much as the CLK55 but at least I have traction I can work it, Not spinning tires - I also Test Drove a 02 996 C2S with 19" 11" rears - DAM ! I love these cars - I plan on moving to this platform any day now - After the test drive, my friend indulged me and I went against him with the CLK55 - Needless to say he slapped my ***, not once but twice -

P.S. If the size of the 996 becomes a problem for the family, then I will seek out a M5.. See ya on the Road...

Remember Gents, it's nothing more than personal opinion and preference, they all are fine cars - REALLY !
Old 01-12-2004, 10:45 AM

'05 C55
Re: I have no idea what you guys are talking about ?

Originally posted by 5439cc
Remember Gents, it's nothing more than personal opinion and preference, they all are fine cars - REALLY !
On I wholeheartedly agree. Sorry if I came across as argumentative. I used to drive a Supra turbo and with those guys it was a religion.....I'm more open-minded than that. Honest.

That said, you mentioned the M5....and thoughts on the E55? What the hell, why not try and track down an SLR?
Old 01-12-2004, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Audi S4
perhaps the RS6? oooh those things look nice on the road, very rare too... im not so sure about the new looks of the new M5... the photos havent really excited me about it in terms of looks
Old 01-12-2004, 07:27 PM

2002 C32 AMG
E55 or M5

I test drove a new E55 - straight line performance was fast as a Tax collector - handling and braking was another weak point, for overall performance and fun factor M5 hands down - unless you really drove a M5, I mean really drive one (like you stole it) your never know the car is simply a delight. Now I know what my brother has been talking about all these years. What A Car.