CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Major 2001 Clk55 Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 02:56 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 KLEEMANN K55S6
Angry Major 2001 Clk55 Problems

I am currently experiencing MAJOR problems with my 2001 CLK55.
The vehicle's engine has stuttered, almost stalled,powered down and shook for the last several months. The gas gausge has also malfunctioned a lot.

It has been in the dealer's shop constantly for the past few months and for the last three weeks or so it has remained at the dealer. Apparently, they cannot figure out WHY the check engine light remians on and the car is still runnung rough. They "think that theris a problem in cylinder 1 becasue of the default codes thatthe MBZ computer has produced. Moreover, they have put a ton of new parts in the car including a new ECU, 02 sensor, exhaust seal, etc.etc.---still theproblem persisits!

The car is cosmetically immaculate.--especially for a black car. It only has 27,000 pampered miles on it and has always been garaged. I have also added alot of extras such as KLEEMAN wheels, a custom audio system, CLEAR ARMOR bra, etc. Ben from EVOSPORT has seen the car and can attest to the quality of the detailing. Yet, the dealer STILL cannot even diagnose the problem, let alone fix it. What a rip off!

I have started the buy-back process with MBZ. I am certain that they will try to hassle me about giving me all of what I have already spent onthe car(downpayment, loan payments, insurance, accessories, etc.) I am totally disappointed with the service and the lack of quality of the vehicle. It has been in the shop almost more than I have driven it!

Hey...anyone in her have any experience with dealing with MBZ on a buy-back. Can you help me out with some advice?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03 AM

CLS550
i had a stumbling / want to stall problem coupled with a check engine light ... for me all i needed was a new MAS - which i dont think is too uncommon for it to go bad.

as for the buyback ... i believe i read somewhere that buybacks are usually for lemons or new new cars that never worked ... it doesnt hurt to try and maybe they'll at least work with you for a good trade.

good luck.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:09 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Each states lemon laws are different, so check your's carefully. In most states as long as the problem(s) were within the lemon law period you're covered.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:59 PM

SL500
California has very strict Lemon Laws to protect the consumer. Aim to have them roll you into a new car at no additional charge. I'm serious. As for the aftermarket parts, take them off and put the originals back on, if you don't it will probably be your loss. MB won't be sympathetic. Keep in mind the dealer has tremendous pull when it comes to dealing with MBUSA. If possible deal with the dealer you purchased the car from as well as the salesman. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Boz

2001 CLK55
who's your dealer? i used to use Autobahn; now i go to Smythe in cupertino - infinitely better quality of service.

i also have an 01 CLK55; i bought the car used (10,000 miles) early on in my ownership i had an issue with a malfunctioning crank sensor, which caused the car to idle roughly, sometimes not start etc.. worth taking a look into. cheap to fix.

my current issue is that the warning lights on the ABS/ESP/EBA has come on twice now; goes off when the car is restarted.

Smythe said that this was a minor issue (again, sensor) on one of the wheels and very fixable (and not unsafe).

they'll be fixing next week.

the improvements i've made to mine are 18" monoblocks (off of an E55), and number 1 pads all around. Custom alignment did the alignment and balance.

peace

Boz.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:21 PM

CLS550
Originally posted by Boz
my current issue is that the warning lights on the ABS/ESP/EBA has come on twice now; goes off when the car is restarted.

Smythe said that this was a minor issue (again, sensor) on one of the wheels and very fixable (and not unsafe).
Boz. [/B]
my ABS/ESP came on once during high speed braking, showed 1 malfunction ... went away after restart (no malfuntions) ... my dealer was not able to figure that out ...

how did they diagnosie it ... was an error code saved? what was the soltion? some sunsor in the wheels?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:37 PM

01 clk55 cpe
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in...

My information center indicates that I have 1 malfunction
because my fog lamps do not light up.

When I restart the car, the message goes away.

This has happened twice

Plus

I do have a slightly rough idle too.

These issues are sure to get Xpensive when the warranty
runs out. What a price to pay to have the hand built AMG
engine!!

I have 6 months left on my 01 clk55 and I am not the
original owner, so I have no Starmark warranty purchase option.

Anyone have any good leads on the xtended warranty companies?

-01 Clk55 Coupe
K&N air filter
Invisi Bra
28,000 miles
Old 02-14-2004, 02:33 PM

2005 CLK 500 coupe
Re: Major 2001 Clk55 Problems

Originally posted by clky1
I am currently experiencing MAJOR problems with my 2001 CLK55.
The vehicle's engine has stuttered, almost stalled,powered down and shook for the last several months. The gas gausge has also malfunctioned a lot.

It has been in the dealer's shop constantly for the past few months and for the last three weeks or so it has remained at the dealer. Apparently, they cannot figure out WHY the check engine light remians on and the car is still runnung rough. They "think that theris a problem in cylinder 1 becasue of the default codes thatthe MBZ computer has produced. Moreover, they have put a ton of new parts in the car including a new ECU, 02 sensor, exhaust seal, etc.etc.---still theproblem persisits!

The car is cosmetically immaculate.--especially for a black car. It only has 27,000 pampered miles on it and has always been garaged. I have also added alot of extras such as KLEEMAN wheels, a custom audio system, CLEAR ARMOR bra, etc. Ben from EVOSPORT has seen the car and can attest to the quality of the detailing. Yet, the dealer STILL cannot even diagnose the problem, let alone fix it. What a rip off!

I have started the buy-back process with MBZ. I am certain that they will try to hassle me about giving me all of what I have already spent onthe car(downpayment, loan payments, insurance, accessories, etc.) I am totally disappointed with the service and the lack of quality of the vehicle. It has been in the shop almost more than I have driven it!

Hey...anyone in her have any experience with dealing with MBZ on a buy-back. Can you help me out with some advice?

Thanks.

Buy-back with 27,000 miles, not a shot...Sorry.
At best they will tell you to trade it in, and offer you some sort of VERY small rebate for your troubles.....i doubt they will even do that since the car is 3 years old.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 KLEEMANN K55S6
rjw0501:

Thanks for your comments.

You may not be familiar with CA law (I am ) but under what is commonly referred to as the "lemon law" if a vehicle cannot be repaired under certain circumstances (i.e. number of attempts, severity of the problem,etc.) the manufacturer MUST repurchase it and label the title as a lemon.

MBZ had contacted me and discussed the buy back option if the car cannot be fixed (it remains in the dealer's garage) The real issue here is, if I decide to do this, will they just apply the balance of what is owed on my car and apply it to a 209 bodystye CLK55. Perhaps not. My recourse then would be to recoup all I have invested in the vehicle, less wear and tear(whatever MBZ negotiates that to be) and remove all of my aftermarket parts.

The point here ladies and gentlemen is that although I realize that it is just a car and a machine, you would expect higher quality from such a preimenent marque such as Mercedes Benz and most certainly AMG.

But that seems to be the price you pay if you wanna play!

Wish me luck! I'll keep you all posted.

Old 02-14-2004, 03:28 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Hold your ground with MB. Once MB realizes they stand to lose at a lemon law arbitration they will concede but only in pieces, so don't ever accept their first couple of offers. If you want a 209/55 great, but if not ask for the monetary option. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by clky1
rjw0501:

But that seems to be the price you pay if you wanna play!

It's one thing to pay for upkeep on a great car, but this is not.

Stand your ground with them.

Shame on MB...where's the quality?
Old 02-14-2004, 04:55 PM

'05 C55
My '01 CLK55 recently went through a major failure as well. I was driving home from work and she started to lose power. The check engine light lit up & I eventually ended up on the side of the road.

After 3 seperate failures (one visit from roadside assistance and 2 trips in on a flatbed) in ~3 weeks she's good as new.

They never told me what the failure was. Bascially the entire fuel system was replaced including the tank, all lines, pumps, & sensors. In the few months since she's been good as new but I'm VERY wary and come December (when my warrenty is up) I am going to think long and hard about keeping her.

For the record both dealers I dealt with during this were great. Other than trying to pawn a Kia on me as a loaner once.

Speaking of which, what is the most economic way to extend the warrenty on a MB?