CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Mercedes Benz is really starting to frustrate me!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Ted's analogy summed up part of it pretty well...

I'm just not thrilled about it. Unless my dealer was being a little dishonest, the 209 CLK55 wasn't available to late spring in 2003. I bought mine in late May of last year. So actually I've had my car about 9 months. It just sucks that they are making so many changes so quickly. A few months ago, I had heard rumors that the 04 CLK55 was going to get the 7-Gtronic transmission, and since it was only that, a rumor, I didn't flip my lid, but if they had done that I would have had a cranial Mt. Vesuvious. Could you imagine if that had happened? The 03 CLK55 owners like myself would have been hosed!! Well, anyway, no point in talking about hypothetical situations that never happened.

Like I alluded to, but really didn't get into, was the real distress of the new SLK55. I don't blame Mercedes Benz for that one bit, as the SLK has been around for a very reasonable model cycle, and it was certainly due for a renovation. I just wish that I knew it was coming. No one to blame, I just wish I knew. That's the ideal car for me. Same engine in smaller, lighter car, 7 G-tronic transmission (Although I suspect it will actually get the current 5 speed), awesome 6 piston brakes with composite rotors. Mini-SLR McLaren styling (To a degree), and best of all, the metal folding roof! That is the car that I want!!

My whole concern with the C55 is that it will hurt the CLK55 resale, especially if it comes in close to the current C32 pricing. I know that in my original post I stated that when I had initially purchased my CLK55, I was of the opinion that it was a class above the "C-class" (Again, in terms of mechanical structure, equipment, performance, etc...), but I'm in the camp that believes that the CLK really is just a two door C class. With the new C55 appearing to be closer than ever to the CLK55, which if you really look at the two, they really are just about identical , with the obvious exception of door count. Assuming that once again, IF the C55 comes out in the low to mid $50,000 price range, that will murder the CLK55 resale.

If a salesman put two identically equipped cars, the same color and everything, one being a brand-new C55, versus a used CLK55, do you think that he's going to be able to ask the same price for both cars? Unlikely. This is just my opinion, but if my worst-case-scenario occurs, and this damned C55 comes out in the low to mid $50's, don't be surprised if our two year old, low mileage, pristine CLK55's drop down into the high $30,000 to low $40,000 (At best) price range. I truly hope that I'm wrong.

You know who else is going to be seriously concerned, are the boys at Cadillac. That new CTS-v is supposedly going to be in the mid $50,000 price range. Price being equal, which car do you think most people would choose? The C55 is far better looking, better equipped, has more power and more than likely better over-all performance, AND last but not least, it's a Mercedes Benz...

This all kind of reminds me of that Chinese curse... "May you live in interesting times..."

Sorry for yet another rant,
Matt
Old 02-24-2004, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ted's analogy summed up part of it pretty well...

Originally posted by AMG///Merc
I'm just not thrilled about it. Unless my dealer was being a little dishonest, the 209 CLK55 wasn't available to late spring in 2003. I bought mine in late May of last year. So actually I've had my car about 9 months. It just sucks that they are making so many changes so quickly. A few months ago, I had heard rumors that the 04 CLK55 was going to get the 7-Gtronic transmission, and since it was only that, a rumor, I didn't flip my lid, but if they had done that I would have had a cranial Mt. Vesuvious. Could you imagine if that had happened? The 03 CLK55 owners like myself would have been hosed!! Well, anyway, no point in talking about hypothetical situations that never happened.

Like I alluded to, but really didn't get into, was the real distress of the new SLK55. I don't blame Mercedes Benz for that one bit, as the SLK has been around for a very reasonable model cycle, and it was certainly due for a renovation. I just wish that I knew it was coming. No one to blame, I just wish I knew. That's the ideal car for me. Same engine in smaller, lighter car, 7 G-tronic transmission (Although I suspect it will actually get the current 5 speed), awesome 6 piston brakes with composite rotors. Mini-SLR McLaren styling (To a degree), and best of all, the metal folding roof! That is the car that I want!!

My whole concern with the C55 is that it will hurt the CLK55 resale, especially if it comes in close to the current C32 pricing. I know that in my original post I stated that when I had initially purchased my CLK55, I was of the opinion that it was a class above the "C-class" (Again, in terms of mechanical structure, equipment, performance, etc...), but I'm in the camp that believes that the CLK really is just a two door C class. With the new C55 appearing to be closer than ever to the CLK55, which if you really look at the two, they really are just about identical , with the obvious exception of door count. Assuming that once again, IF the C55 comes out in the low to mid $50,000 price range, that will murder the CLK55 resale.

If a salesman put two identically equipped cars, the same color and everything, one being a brand-new C55, versus a used CLK55, do you think that he's going to be able to ask the same price for both cars? Unlikely. This is just my opinion, but if my worst-case-scenario occurs, and this damned C55 comes out in the low to mid $50's, don't be surprised if our two year old, low mileage, pristine CLK55's drop down into the high $30,000 to low $40,000 (At best) price range. I truly hope that I'm wrong.

You know who else is going to be seriously concerned, are the boys at Cadillac. That new CTS-v is supposedly going to be in the mid $50,000 price range. Price being equal, which car do you think most people would choose? The C55 is far better looking, better equipped, has more power and more than likely better over-all performance, AND last but not least, it's a Mercedes Benz...

This all kind of reminds me of that Chinese curse... "May you live in interesting times..."

Sorry for yet another rant,
Matt

Sorry to say but you think way too much. Shoot I wish I had your car. It seems like you are the type to never be happy. Dont be so concerned about the future.
Again I want to say one class is not going to effect the other. I mean how could you even compare the C class to CLK class. Two very different classes. Before I got my clk500 I didnt even consider the C32 even though the C32 is faster and slightly less expensive. I prefered the styling and look as well as power of the CLK.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Hey matt, you forgot your post script on that last post!! You know what that means....a better CLK is coming out for sure now!!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:42 AM
LOH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CLK is very definitely based on the C-class chassis/platform. I've heard it referred to as chassis hard-points including wheelbase, track, suspension mounting points, crash structure like frame rails. These things between the cars are identical or nearly identical. The unit-body which they obviously don't share is the next build-up point on the chassis. One of the reasons the 208CLK lifespan was so short was because it was based on the 202C-class which as a volume model C-class was replaced with the 2002 203C-class. It is purely a business decision for MB. The CLK which although a new model, was basically aimed at the market satisfied by the 124E-class coupe/cabriolet, a much more expensive (and better built) car. It is much cheaper to produce the CLK from the C-class platform instead of the much more expensive E-class platform. Anyway, enough of my version of MB history that many of you know.

In my opinion I am disappointed the the marketing-driven direction that MB has taken in general. I think that there are too many options within the MB brand that definitely dilutes it's value. MB is now trying to be too many things for too many people and as much as it pains me to say it, MB is becoming the German GM. What ends up happening is you have so many vehicles that some models can't help but cannibalize other models within the same showroom. I suppose their reasoning is that there is always a combination that somebody wants so why not offer it. My father wants a diesel E-class 4-matic which although I tell him probably won't happen in the US, who knows with this thinking that MB has now. But unfortunately, times change and the thinking at MB is starting to differ from my own and my needs. My wish list is becoming increasingly hard to satisfy at MB and they don't offer custom specification like small-volume manufacturers can. Other technology-driven, performance-oriented companies that value quality and exclusivity appeal to me now. Can anyone say Aston Martin?

Having said that, I do love my car for what it is. The extra performance and relative exclusivity provided by AMG was worth the price of admission to me. For some, the grass will always be greener on the other side. When my baby no longer makes me smile, I'll get something else.