CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Mercedes Benz is really starting to frustrate me!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Angry Mercedes Benz is really starting to frustrate me!!

I wish that they would have some consistency in their line-up. It seems like they are coming out with something new every time I go to their web-site. The new SLK55 and C55 for example. Owning a 2003 CLK55, I'm not too thrilled that the new C55 looks exactly like a 4 door CLK55. Now the "CLK is just a two door C-class" comments are even MORE valid. To make things all the more worse, the C55 gets a new double wish-bone front suspension and a new three spoke steering wheel! Oh, and not to mention that the C55 gets dual exhaust as well. I haven't even owned my car for a year yet, and it's already being upstaged by a C class! It would be somewhat more understandable if the 209 CLK had been around for a few years, but it just came out last year! How about a little continuity in the line-up? You think CLK resale is low now?!? Just wait until the C55 comes out. If the C55 comes out in the current low $50k price range, our CLK's will be in the high $30k neighborhood. I guarantee you. I paid $79,075 for my CLK, and if that car's only worth 30-something thousand dollars after only two years, or less than HALF of what I paid for it, I'm going to be furious. At this point, I think I'd rather have the C55!! Why exactly, is the CLK so much more expensive if there are so many similarities with the C class? For that matter, it seems that the new C55 is going to be a BETTER car than the CLK class. In my opinion, CLK owners are getting the shaft big-time!! We're going to be the ******* children of Mercedes Benz. The cars that no one wants. When you bought your CLK, (Especially the 209 owners here) weren't you under the impression that the CLK's were somewhat exclusive and in a definite category "above" the base C-class? I know I certainly was, and Merceds Benz is doing nothing to protect that exclusivity. If anything, they're underrmining it. I guess the new line-up from entry level to top of the range goes like this now: C-class coupe, CLK, C-class, E-class, etc, etc...

At the very least, we should have gotten the same suspension, steering wheel, and various other improvements that the new C55 is going to get...

What about the new SLK55? Don't even get me started...

And to think I traded in my 2002 BMW M3 for this...

Sorry for the rant,
Matt

Last edited by AMG///Merc; 02-23-2004 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.................Interesting. your comments about resale value is valid upto a point. I wonder if you knew that as low a resale value as you believe the CLK to have, that it actually has the highes resale value in the entire luxury car line up, not just mercedes, but even when compared to BMW, Lexus etc.

..............secondly, the remainder of your comments explains why one should never buy a car because of a perceived air of class superiority. You will be disappointed every time. The general public thinks that a used a used 2000 S430 costs 5 times the cost of your CLK55 because it is an S-class while your is based on a lowly C-class. While I agree with your general comment about the need for Mb to stop changing models quite so often, I think that you may have bought your CLK55 for the wrong reason and it is showing. Buy a car you truly like and enjoy, period! Otherwise you while driving your CLK55 and thinking that people are bowing as you drive by, the kid next door that didn't even know how to wash his hands when you were in high school together is going to roll past you in a Ferrari.

Ted

Ted
Old 02-23-2004, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In case you still didnt know by now, CLK IS a C-class. The two cars share the same chassis and at least 90% of their components are the same. I agree with Ted totally, you're buying a car for what it is, not for its superiority. I used to drive a CLK430, then I traded it for a C32. Based on your theory, am I upgrading or downgrading? I am buying a C-class but I am driving an AMG.

The C55 will have very similar center console as the W211, if you were a E-class owner, will you think MB is "stealing" the idea and make the C-class a E look-a-like?

Who knows whether the CLK will have a facelift in 2006, maybe they will taken some parts/ideas from the W211??? Shall the W211 owners be complaining then???

I think its kind of naive for you to have such a mind set. Enjoy your lovely MB.....

Regrettably, I read your post and have the same impression as Ted. Maybe you didnt mean it that way but I guess thats how we perceive.

Last edited by Harris; 02-23-2004 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:31 AM

03 CLK55
Talking Yikes...

I think you read wwaaayyy too much from my comments Ted. You have NO idea as to why I bought my CLK55. I will say that "perceived air of class superiority" had little to nothing to do with it. My comment in regard to the CLK being more exclusive and a "class" above the CLK has much more to do with material content and performance then "people bowing" as I drive by. I didn't mean to sound pretentious, and when I re-read my post after I read your comments, I feel as if I didn't come out sound that way. That was all your assumption and your comments and insinuations were a little out of line. If anything, I'm embarassed at times by the attention and "Ooooohh and Ahhhh" factor of owning a Mercedes Benz. My most recent cars have been a 97 Miata, a 00 Integra Type R, an S2000, and my 2002 M3*. I bought all of these mainly for their performance, braking, and handling capabilities (As well as some other elements like styling, top-down use, etc...). I bought the CLK because the M3 is extremely limited as far as power gains are concerned, and the CLK55 has much more aftermarket potential (as well as having a much nicer interior and being a better looking car in my opinion). I do enjoy having a unique car that you don't see everywhere else, and that was what I meant by my defintion of "exclusivity".

I did read that the CLK was written as having the highest residual, and hence, resale value, but the actual market is not bearing that out. According to Manheim.com, my CLK has a high retail of $51350. I checked that after I had looked into purchasing a used 03 E55, (the car that I originally had wanted but was unavailable) and the dealership wanted my car and $35000!! Maybe things are a little different on the west coast or wherever you're from, but here in my area, CLK's are suffering horrific depreceiation (Note all the threads about said subject). Now imagine how it will be when a car that is essentially a four door version of our car comes out retailing in the low to mid $50,000 range (If it indeed does come out in that price range). I expect that the CLK resale will plunge even farther. Bear in mind residual values are realy nothing more than educated guesses based on certain market studies and economic projections. I suspect that if you were faced with the potential prospect of having your car depreciate over 50% in a little over a year, you would be a bit frustrated as well...

Best regards,
Matt

"*" : With all of my previously owned cars, I made out quite well when I traded them in. I lost just a little over $4000 when I traded my M3 (Which I owned for a little over a year)!!
Old 02-23-2004, 02:58 AM

03 CLK55
Question Harris...

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was under the impression that the CLK being a "C" class was a popular misconception and that it's actually something of a mix between the "C" and "E" platforms. I read that the CLK has the C front suspension and the E rear suspension. I have read that the chasis dimensions in regards to wheelbase and front and rear track were the same, but I still wasn't sure if they were indeed the one and same platform.

As far as the possability of a facelifted CLK in 2006 sharing components from the 211, there's a little bit of a difference there. Sharing a few components between two models, and being essentialy the same car are two totally different things. I do think that if within two years of the E55 coming out, a nearly identical two door version costing tens of thousands of dollars less coming out would upset the current E55 owners. Now imagine if you were in my circumstances. I've owned my new-for-2003 CLK55 for less than a year, and I'm already reading about superior models that are costing far less. Granted the "superior" aspect is up for debate, but the new C55 does have an improved double wish-bone front suspension, and is otherwise nearly identical to my car. Part of the reason why I bought my CLK was because it had the M113 AMG V8, and that both the C32 and SLK32 did not. Had I known that the same motor and chasis were soon going to be available for many thousands of dollars less, I might have waited. Actually, truth be told, I definitely would have waited for the SLK55 had I had any inkling about it. Surely that's not too hard to understand?

I thought that when I bought my new for 2003 CLK55 only 10 months ago, I wasn't going to have to worry about something equal or even superior coming out within a reasonable time frame. It's like what someone had posted in the C32/C55 message board: Mercedes Benz cars are becoming like personal computers. i.e., Your 6 month old top-of-the-line computer is already outdated! It's one thing when you spend a couple thousand dollars, and something else entirey when you spend nearly eighty thousand. I'll be pretty upset if MB decides to change or upgrade the 2005 CLK as well. Let's say that they give the 05 CLK55 both the kompressor and the 7-Gtronic transmission. I'd be seriously bent. Now if that happened in 2007, that would be a differenty story. I expect change and competeion within a manufacturer with several years. I just think that Merceds Benz is doing it too often...

Also, you've also either mis-read or made certain assumptions about me also Harris, and to be quite frank, I expected better from you. I do appreciate you editing "stupid" with "naive", but you're also mistaken if you think I bought my CLK55 for its "superiority". Please read my last post. Also, it's unnecessary to place "stealing" in quotes, as I never used the term. I apologize for being a bit defensive, but you were both wrong in your assumptions, and I was a bit offended by them...

Best regards,
Matt

p.s.) Please note that in my original post I wrote that "at this point I would rather have a C55". If your theory about my desire for an "air of superiority" were true, why would I want the C class then?

Last edited by AMG///Merc; 02-23-2004 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The CLK is based 100% on the C-class chassis. I dont know where you read the info about a mix of C and E platforms. And the suspension between the W203 and W209 is completely interchangeable. If you dont believe in me, put a W211 rear suspension on a W209 and see if it will work.

Have you received any OFFICIAL pricing of the C55 yet? Before you know how much the C55 is selling for, I guess you shouldnt make comment like "the C55 will cost far less". I have a feeling that a C55 would cost VERY close to a CLK55. And I still think you need to get out of this wierd theory of yours...you were complaining that a C55 with more superior features is going to cost less than a CLK55 and you're not happy about it. Imagine if you own a CLK55 cabriolet, would you be more upset because for $2000 less, you can get a whopping 469hp E55 that is MUCH more refined than a CLK55 in all aspects?

Yes, Mercedes is coming out with a C55 with better suspension and features 10 months after your purchase, and you have a problem with that? Lets get real, Mercedes has already pocketed your 70K, they couldnt care less whether you like it or not. If you dont like it, dont buy a MB again. I guess you just have to realize that it is a very cruel world that we are living in, money talks. Chrysler division has just lost 200+ million in 2003. Mercedes probably have to use its profits to make up the loss for Chrysler. They have to offer better cars with better equipment hopefully to pocket another guy's 70K. Audi is coming out with the new V8 S4, BMW is coming out with V8 M4 in a couple of years, Mercedes simply cannot compete with them if they're going to stick with the V6 Kompressor. So many people are complaining about the C32's handling (incl. me), MB HAVE to do something about it. It is a marketing strategy more than anything else. They NEED to keep the strong sales going, can you get it? The C-class has been out since 2001, and they have to do a face lift this year, would you just change everything and leave the C32 behind? It will be too costly to develop a whole new engine for the C32, so recycling the 55 V8 engine is THE only way to go. Put yourself into their shoes, you would do the exact same thing. Someone has to keep the books look good, as simple as that.

I appreciate that you have "expectation" on me. But I think I have to disappoint you one more time. I really think you are kind of stupid to have such mind set. I always speak my mind. If you're offended, sorry, you can choose not to read anything I comment on the board. I am not using the quotes as your quotes, I am asking you a question whether you think Mercedes is stealing the idea of putting some E features on a C. Dont jump into a quick conclusion and think people are picking on you, it has never been my intention and never will. It is just an open discussion.

Different people have different perceptions. When I buy a car, I never consider resale value as an issue. No matter how good of a resale value you THINK you will get x year later, there are so many factors that can change the outcome.

Comparing between models is pointless, my whole point remains: enjoy your car for what it is.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
..........SL55 came out shortly before the E55 and was touted to be the fasted production mercedes. People dished out $120,0000 to buy the car. Some bought it because the car is truly a beautiful thing, others bought it for bragging rights. Those in the second category were very dissappointed when a year later MB released the W211 E55 that costs $78,000 and is faster than the SL55. It is human nature, bought buying a car for bragging rights usually will end in dissappointment. Consider the SLR which is close to $200,000. Car and Driver test for the upcoming SL600 shows the SL600 to be as fast as the SLR. Imagine if you dished out $200,000 for the SLR for the purpose of having the Fastes mercedes?

.........Having said all this, I appologise if this is not a correct interpretation of your comments on my part.

Ted
Old 02-23-2004, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
AMG///MERC,

I feel your pain....just realize you are not alone in the depreciation department.

How about those *pour souls* who had the 2002 CL55, just before the '03 came out with far superior performance?

Or the CL600 a year prior to the twin-turbo introduction?

Ted summed it up best "Buy a car you truly like and enjoy, period!" I hope you continue to enjoy your AMG as I do mine

Last edited by Chappy; 02-23-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i drive an ///M6
actually, even though the clk is based on a c-class platform, i always thought i was basically a 2dr e-class. the interior is nearly identical and much of the exterior looks similar. then again, i haven't seen a w209 interior up close yet, i'm comparing a w208. isn't it kinda like the class a 6-series bmw is now in?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:33 PM

I am getting sick of C-class owners saying that the CLK is in the same class as the C-class. If CLK was the same as C-class they would have put it into the C-class. Look at the two classes, they are totally different vehicles. Yes I agree that the clk is based off the C-class chasis but thats where the similarities stop. I have driven both C-class and CLK-class and they are two different looking(CLK is longer and wider), driving, and feeling cars. The C-class interior is a lot cheaper and the suspension on the clk is far superior to C.
I realize the C-class people would like to associate their cars with a higher class but they need to realize the C and CLk are not in the same class period. I would love to associate the CLK with the CL class, since CL class is superior to CLK but that would be a ridiculous comparison.
The automotive companies use similar chasis and parts for a lot of their automotive lines. Take for example the Toyota Avalon and Lexus LS430. The LS430 is based on the Avalon but are they in the same class? I think not. I can go on and on.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally posted by Predator
I would love to associate the CLK with the CL class, since CL class is superior to CLK but that would be a ridiculous comparison.
Not entirely.

The S/C/E/CL/SL/SLK/M/G "Class" categories came into existence in 1994 with the introduction of the C-Class. At the same time, Mercedes-Benz moved the star from the grille several inches back onto the hood.

Mercedes-Benz also changed their badging that year as well. For example, the W140 500 SEL was now called the S500. The S-Class coupe (now known as the CL) used to be known as the SEC.

Now to my point. The letter "K" (kurz = short) in Mercedes-Benz badging sometimes applies to a shortened wheelbase, not just kompressor.

The SLK is a 'shortened' SL
The CLK is a 'shortened' CL

So, really, a CLK (while not in technically in the same class as a CL), does take part of it's name from the big coupe Same with the SLK and the SL.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:00 PM

The abbrevations represents its type/body style, but obviously as similar as the abbrevations might sound or spell out; the classes and vehicles dont reflect that outcome. They are totally different cars.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
The abbrevations represents its type/body style, but obviously as similar as the abbrevations might sound or spell out; the classes and vehicles dont reflect that outcome. They are totally different cars.
Agreed. Maybe we're splitting hairs
Old 02-23-2004, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
I'm a little unhappy that the C55 has the new dual exhaust. I was really hoping that the CLK would get that before the C class...but sadly no. I really like my CLK 55, but I know sooner or later a better version of it will come on down the road....dual exhaust and maybe a facelift (thinking around 2006...just a guess).
When that new, future CLK 55 comes out I will want one bad.....but here's the nasty part...what will the value be on my "outdated" AMG car?
remember...no-one said cars were good investments. Luckily I bought the CLK 55 for a fun car, and thats what I got. This car is fun!! So AMG//Merc...I hear ya loud and clear....I'm scared right there with ya! But who cares.....we both know we have a super car and people on the street know it too!!!

P.S. I really am mad as Hell that my CLK doesn't have the dual exhaust. that burns me the most about the new C 55!!!!
Old 02-23-2004, 03:06 PM

2003 C32 AMG
I bet the 2004 CLK will get the dual exhaust

I also think the C55 will not cost that much more than the current c32. with that said, who is gonna pay 20k more for a CLK 55 with the NA V8? I somehow believe the CLK55 in the near future will get the V8 kompressor or more hp in the current motor. if you go on jesmb.de they have a little paragraph stating the CLK 209 will get the same interior upgrades as the new refreshed c class.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:00 PM

Take for example the Toyota Avalon and Lexus LS430. The LS430 is based on the Avalon but are they in the same class? I think not. I can go on and on. [/B][/QUOTE]
LS is based on Avalon?? Where did u get that info? U realize that avalon is FWD and LS is RWD? Avalon and LS have NOTHING in common
Old 02-23-2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by thuged_out
Take for example the Toyota Avalon and Lexus LS430. The LS430 is based on the Avalon but are they in the same class? I think not. I can go on and on.
LS is based on Avalon?? Where did u get that info? U realize that avalon is FWD and LS is RWD? Avalon and LS have NOTHING in common [/B][/QUOTE]

Correct me if a I am wrong but they do share the same chasis.
I was trying to make a point. Another example GX470 and Toyota Highlander.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:36 PM

LS is based on Avalon?? Where did u get that info? U realize that avalon is FWD and LS is RWD? Avalon and LS have NOTHING in common
I was trying to make a point. Another example GX470 and Toyota Highlander. [/B][/QUOTE]
actually they dont share the same chassis. i think u meant camry and es300. the same is tru with GX. The Gx is based on the 4runner, not the highlander which is based on camry.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by thuged_out
I was trying to make a point. Another example GX470 and Toyota Highlander.
actually they dont share the same chassis. i think u meant camry and es300. the same is tru with GX. The Gx is based on the 4runner, not the highlander which is based on camry. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry I am not a toyota expert but I think you get the point I am trying to make.

I think the dilemna that faces current clkamg owners as far as the C55amg making clkAMG cars depreciate is a little presumptious. I mean when MB came out with the CLK500, the CL500 owners didn't face depreciation in their cars, even though another coupe came out in similar bodytype that was actually faster and 40Gs cheaper. I think the same applies here. The CLk and C class are different classes and changes in one class shouldn't affect market value in one another.
Only the real performance oriented people are going to argue that the C55 is a better choice over the CLK55. But lets face it , most people who buy MB, buy based on many other factors(prestige,design,quality(?)). If performance was the only factor, we'll all be driving in porshce or WRX STis.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:12 PM

I think that comparisons between two different classes of cars are a moot point. There are so many pluses and minuses that you can just go on and on. Then there is personal feel.

Everyone should get the car they like and suits their needs. If the new clk55 was out when I got my c32 that would have been my first choice but I am totally happy with my c32 purchase even after test driving the new clk55.

However I do agree with the original poster on some levels. Take BMW for instance their M3 models have a longer running time and when they will upgrade it they are going to introduce a new model altogether (though it will probably be butt ugly). I don't understand why Benz is doing these huge mid-model updates. It is kind of a half-assed job - don't tell me the new m3, m4 whatever won't beat the c55. The c32 right now is a more than fair competitor to the m3 in terms of engine.

Also what they are doing is diluting the amg brand. For example an m3 is know by any car person (and most non-car persons). The reason nobody knows an AMG is because there are so many damn numbers and changes. Seriously there is a c36,c43,c32,c55 and that is just the c-class.

My thoughts are that they should wait use the Direct Fuel Injection technology on the V8 and release a c55 with 400+ hp. Now that would be something.

My .02

Prasith
Old 02-23-2004, 05:26 PM

actually they dont share the same chassis. i think u meant camry and es300. the same is tru with GX. The Gx is based on the 4runner, not the highlander which is based on camry.

Sorry I am not a toyota expert but I think you get the point I am trying to make.

I think the dilemna that faces current clkamg owners as far as the C55amg making clkAMG cars depreciate is a little presumptious. I mean when MB came out with the CLK500, the CL500 owners didn't face depreciation in their cars, even though another coupe came out in similar bodytype that was actually faster and 40Gs cheaper. I think the same applies here. The CLk and C class are different classes and changes in one class shouldn't affect market value in one another.
Only the real performance oriented people are going to argue that the C55 is a better choice over the CLK55. But lets face it , most people who buy MB, buy based on many other factors(prestige,design,quality(?)). If performance was the only factor, we'll all be driving in porshce or WRX STis. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with u. I dont see how the introduction of the C55 will have any affect on CLK55.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:29 AM

03 CLK55
Smile Ted, I truly appreciate your apology for the misunderstanding...

And I also appreciate Harris for writing that his intention was not to pick on me, but I do have to take exception for your remark about my "stupid mindset". Maybe you ought to read my posts again, and a little more carefully this time. In my first post, in regards to the C55 being essentialy the same car for less money, please note that I included several "If" qualifiers. I'll quote; " If the C55 comes out in the current low $50k price range, our CLK's will be in the high $30k neighborhood", and another; " Now imagine how it will be when a car that is essentially a four door version of our car comes out retailing in the low to mid $50,000 range (If it indeed does come out in that price range). ". I never said that the C55 will definitely be in that price range. I do suspect that there is a very good chance that it will, as I cannot imagine that Meredes Benz can succesfully justify a $20,000+ price increase.

As far as this comment is concerned, " Imagine if you own a CLK55 cabriolet, would you be more upset because for $2000 less, you can get a whopping 469hp E55 that is MUCH more refined than a CLK55 in all aspects?", I'm not quite sure I understand your point. These are two entirely different cars. One is sports coupe/cabriolet, and the other is a high performance four door sedan. I most certainly would buy an E55 over a CLK55 Cabriolet, anyday. Especiallly since they are both available now. If I had purchased said C209 CLK55 Cab, and then the previously unheard of E55 popped out of nowhere, I would be VERY disapointed! But that's comparing apples to oranges. Two totally different cars, and both were available at about the same time. This question, or objection does not relate to what I'm trying to say.

Another quote; "Yes, Mercedes is coming out with a C55 with better suspension and features 10 months after your purchase, and you have a problem with that? Lets get real, Mercedes has already pocketed your 70K, they couldnt care less whether you like it or not." Uhhhh... What exactly does that have to do with the price of eggs in China? I agree with that statement entirely! I'm quite sure that Mercedes Benz couldn't care, but does that mean I shouldn't?

Let's try and reverse the situation. Let's say that you bought your C32 the first year that it was completely redesigned and upgraded. Now imagine that less than a year later, you find out that Merceds Benz has brought an essentially identical car, and one that even has a few improvements for less money... Or what if in the very next year after you bought yours, the C32 was restyled and improved? That wouldn't bother you any? I think it would bother most people. When most people buy the first year of a totally redesigned and improved car, they expect that it will stay that way for a few years at least. The certainly wouldn't expect what is largely regarded as a lower entry model car to be redesigned as an even better car than theirs within one short year of their purchase. Granted, if the C209 CLK55 had been out for several years already, and I bought the fourth or fith model year of that car, it would be a totally different story. I could understand that, and in fact I would expect it.

As far as Ted's comparison about SL55 owners being upset about the E55 being a faster car, I think that's also something entirely different. Again, that's comparing apples to oranges. The SL is a completely different animal then the E. One is a GT convertible with a medal folding roof, a completely different body design and interior. In my, and I suspect most peoples opinions, the SL is a far nicer car than the E, so the E55 just being MARGINALLY faster than the SL55 still doesn't make it a comparable car. They're two totally different cars. The newe C55 and current CLK55 are much more similar, and almost identical in fact.

I don't think that my point was all that hard to understand, and based on all of the other responses, I think others understood exactly what I meant.

Obviously Mercedes Benz knew well before the C209 CLK55 was released that the C55 was going to be released shortly thereafter. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that they were redesigned and developed side by side. I think that since they knew that, they should have done a little something extra to the CLK55 to differentiate between the two cars. At the very least, they should have given us the same front suspension as the C55. As of now, the only difference between the two, aside from minor interior details, is that one is a two door, and the other a four. I do have to say that at the time that I wrote my original post, I was unaware the the C55 was the only C class that is going to receive the same front end as the CLK and SL. That made me a bit happier, as the C55 is in itself a very fine and exclusive car, and that my car won't ever be mistaken for a C230. When I first bought my CLK, I remarked to my salesman that I would be ticked if I were an SL owner sincer the CLK received the same front end as the SL. I imagine that they'll be even more bothered by the C55 sharing the same front end (Albeit that both the C55 and CLK55 are more narrow cars).

Harris, you made a comment about "Comparing between models is pointless, my whole point remains: enjoy your car for what it is". I do enjoy my car an awful lot. It's far and away the very best car I've ever owned. At no point did I ever imply that I was unhappy with the car itself. It's quite the oppositte in fact. Granted, I'd like more power, but that's another subject for another day. I'm just not all that thrilled with Mercedes Benz's lack of continuity in their line-up. I really do not want to turn this into any sort of personal argument Harris, and if you recall I had made a post about how thankful and appreciative I was about all of the help and advice that you have offered to everyone at the MBworld community.

I just really think that my point is not very hard to understand., and that it most certainly is not "stupid". I'm just not thrilled that a nearly identical car, one that actually may be superior, is being released and will more than likely cost quite a bit less. Especially since my car is a brand new bodystyle!! I understand that it makes business sense for Mercedes Benz, but does that mean that I have to be happy about it?

Finally , and I do apologize for such a lengthy post, I am still a bit confused about the C203 and C209 being the same platform. Both cars are unit-body constructiuon, and it you look at the unit-body of the 209, you'll see that the B-pillarless roof and two door construction are incorporated as part of the unit-body. How can they be the same then? It appears to me, and certainly correct me if I am wrong, but it appears to me that each unit-body is one solid piece. If that is true, they certainly couldn't be the same platform. I'm not arguing the point, rather I would like to be educated as to whether or not I am correct in my assumption. As far as the C209 utilizing the E rear suspension, I only told you what I had read and I certainly wasn't attempting to pass it off as gospel. I hope this rather lengthy post will help you to better understand my viewpoint...

Best regards,
Matt

p.s.) (Don't I always include a post script?) If Merceds Benz does continue with their lack of continuity, I doubt that I will buy a Mercedes Benz again. I'd love to buy the 2004/5 SLK55 (Whatever the first year will be) but not if they are going to introduce an improved version within a year or two...
Old 02-24-2004, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Matt,

As I've mentioned before, this is just an open discussion. I have nothing against you, I am only opposing to some of your viewpoints. And its perfectly normal that we will not agree with each other totally. I thank you for thanking me for helping out on the board. I have reached to a point where someone is calling me "Mr. Know it all" and he thinks I am a jerk. Well...I cant force every people to like me or agree with what I said.

I bought my '02 C32 in Sept '01, well, exactly 10 months later, the '03 C32 has bi-xenons lights, slightly redesigned A/C module, upgraded ECU module, upgraded automatic transmission module, and the '03 car even comes with a spare tire. To be very honest with you, I didnt feel upset about it. I just went and bought the bi-xenon lights.

You are not hard to understand, its just we have different point of view, I dont think there's anything wrong with it but you do. This exchange can go on and on and on....I am glad that you like your CLK55, I've test driven one and I think its a very nice car. Only the suspension really needs a massive improvement. I enjoy my C32 a lot too, with my little mods, I can outperform/outhandle a C55 anytime, I have absolutely no interest to trade in for a C55. A side note: CLK and SL does not share the same front end.

Are you ready for some more news? Its been rumored that the '05 CLK will have the new C-class interior and the '05 CLK500 will have 7-G. Yes, it is like computers, 6 months later, everything will become outdated.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:22 AM

03 CLK55
Smile Thanks Harris...

I really do appreciate the clarification, and I apologize if I have come across as being a little defensive. I completely agree that the CLK55 needs some help in the suspension department. I feel that it's pretty damned god for its intended purpose, but being a bit more performance inclined, I wouldn't mind something of a little more agressive calibration. I feel as if the stock suspension has just a bit too much "slack" for lack of a better description. It becomes very obvious if you are traveling in a straight line and you "wiggle" the steering wheel left and right very quickly. It seems like rebound damping is lost almost immediately. I recently purchaded Brabus Style V one piece wheels (18"), and as soon as some money recuperates, suspension will be next.

What is a bigger gripe for me is the steering, which unfortunately will be a much harder problem to rectify. It's just not sharp enough for me. I'd prefer a numerically higher steering ratio. Let's say, I'm traveling at 40 mph and I want to make a 45 degree left turn. I feel as if I have to turn the wheel too far for my tastes, It's just not responsive enough. Too slow, and a little too much slop. Of course, this is a completely diffeent animal, but with my Honda S2000, turning the wheel just slightly in any direction brought about an immediate response that would turn the car quite a bit. It feels like if I turn the wheel on my CLK 45 degrees, I'll get a 20 degree directional change. The same 45 degree turn of the wheel in my S2000 would make almost a 90 egree directional change. I wish my CLK was somewhere in the middle.

Of course, I'd like more power, to be precise another 100 wheel horsepower would be perfect in my book, but there really seems to be little to nothing available short of submitting to the grossly expensive big tuners (Renntech being an exception imho). Once again, the ol' money factor comes to play...

Speaking of Renntech, are you familiar with, or have you heard anything about their airbox and ECU combination? I noticed that there's only a 24 lb/ft peak torque gain (to a total of 402 lb/ft), but I noticed that the torque peak is lowered to 3000 rpm versus 4000 rpm with the stock engine. While I haven't seen any real accurate dyno charts of a stock 209 CLK55, from those that I have seen, it appears that there is a bit less torque at 3000 rpm versus the peak torque of 4000 rpm. The point I'm trying to make is, that let's say that at 3000 rpm, the CLK55 is making 10 lb/ft less, at 366 lb/ft ( A total guesstimate), then the actual difference at 3000 rpm would be 36 lb/ft, which could be a noticeable difference at that rpm. Coincidentaly, or not, 80 mph on the road equates to about 2800 rpm, right near the torque peak, so I would imagine that 80 mph roll-ons might improve somewhat.

That of course, is assuming that it all works as advertised, but since Renntech's run by Helmut Fehyl, who was AMG's Director of Technology for some years, I've got to think he knows what he's doing, and I've always heard high praises about Renntech.

It's one of, if not THE least expensive engine mod at $3495, but I do have a concern that if I eventually upgrade to other engine mods, i.e.) a Kleeman kompressor or what-not, the Renntech mods won't be compatable. I'd be pleased as punch to make the 450 hp that is claimed with Renntechs, low-boost supercharger, but I am concerned about reliability. The 55 runs pretty high compression, and to add boost on top of that? I don't want a situation where I have to worry anout hot days goimg up hills with a car load of passengers, sweating out the possability of detonation. I'll need an awful lot of convincing to be assured that it would be perfectly reliable...

Well, anyway, that's enough rantin' and ramblin' for one night. Thanks for listening and going the extra effort to keep things cool. I appreciate it. I'm not sweating the CLK500 getting the 7-Gtroic. If it were the 55 on the other hand, I wouldn't have been overly thrilled! I prefer the current CLK55 interior over the C55 guts, except for maybe the steering wheel, but I'll have to see more of it. Also I was aware that the SL55 and the CLK55 didn't share the exact same front ends, as of course the SL's so much wider, it was just that the styling is almost identical...

Best regards,
Matt

p.s.) I can't break tradition by not adding a post script! I'd be very interested to hear any suggestions in regards to any reasonably cost effective engine mods. I think it's going to be quite awhile before I can afford a kompressor or the like. Anyway, let me know. Thanks in advance :p
Old 02-24-2004, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
..............I think everyone can tell from the content of this thread that whatever car you buy will be bested by another perharps, less expensive car very very quickly. Car makers cannot decide not to improve their product line just so that they do not upset customers who's money thay have already pocketed. To me it is like a marriage. You marry a girl (or a dude) because you truly dig him/her period! Yes, soon after your marriage you will definitely meet someone more attractive, richer, etc. Sorry, your wife or husband is not going to be the hottest thing on the block for a long time. God/nature is not going to refuse to produce finer looking men and women just so that those that are already married don't get pissed off.

Ted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz is really starting to frustrate me!!