CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Rear main seal leak...really or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Rear main seal leak...really or not?

May seem like a dumb topic and post and no I aint looking for information before members chow my head off here.
I always thought I had a rear main seal leak and knew what all the job entails to repair. People mention to buy the seal housing as well with new bolts and alot of other things one can do while you at it. Like a propshaft service and tranny service as well as the mounting and the electrical connector.
Well I took a closer look the other day and although my oil aint leaking on the floor like others have experienced, it is leaking. So I looked closer and followed the trail of oil and see that from the tranny hole where the torque converter drain is accessible as well as the inspection hole little up front between the box and engine, I had no leak evident but oil on other places especially the engine pan and under other parts of the transmission as well as below the engine sump on the oil level sender unit. The culprit of my engine is a roughly $5 grommet or seal for the dipstick tube. I haven't replaced it as yet as I will tackle the job when I conduct my 8000km oil change as its almost half way to next service but just over a year since the last oil service for me.

I did check the net for information and only found one topic where someone replaced an o-ring as their dip stick tube design differs from mine. guess that wasn't an M113 engine.

So have other members experiencing oil leaks on this forum thinking its the rear main seal, have actually checked it up closer and maybe found its the same issue?

Last edited by Khan 55; 03-27-2017 at 04:55 AM.