CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Steering play

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 AMG
Steering play

I have a 2011 CLK55 AMG. I always had a little shake in the front end but somewhat suddenly the shaking got real bad. I took both front wheels off and could not find any significant play in the wheels when the wheels were pointed straight ahead. However there was significant steering play when the wheels were turned in either direction. I replaced the drag link assembly and still had the same problem. I then read that the three bolts that attach the steering gear to the chassis need to be periodically torqued. I torqued the bolts and noticed that all three of them took maybe an eighth turn to make the specified 70 nm of torque. This seemed to tighten things up in general but there is still significant steering wheel play when the wheels are not pointing straight forward. Is this normal?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Have you inspected ball joints, motor mounts, and driveline couplings?

Steering play likely ball joints or steering rag joint.

Last edited by GatorMB; 10-01-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by GatorMB
Have you inspected ball joints, motor mounts, and driveline couplings?

Steering play likely ball joints or steering rag joint.
Hey Gator,

I have not inspected the motor mounts and the driveline couplings. I can see how those parts could cause vibration while driving but I don't think they would contribute to steering play that is evident with the wheels off the ground. The only test I have done on the ball joints is to look for play when twisting the tire at 12:00 and 6:00. I do not get any play at 12:00 and 6:00.

I think it is something funky with either the steering gear box or the steering coupler that connects the steering wheel to the gear box. With the gear box disconnected from the drag link I can wiggle the pitman arm. In certain positions of the steering wheel there is definitely a certain amount of play that is not present with the wheels pointing straight forward.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Correct, Steering coupler Hence (rag joint).

Never inspected the gearbox for play on any of my Benz. I have in the past adjusted the worm to sector shaft end play on domestic.
Never heard of a steering gearbox going bad on these cars.

To inspect ball joints jack the car up and place a stand under the spring area. have a buddy pry up on the bottom of tire thus showing ball joint play. I know mine are shot out.

Cheers