CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Spring pads and bump steer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Spring pads and bump steer

Hi Folks,
The Cab project is coming along slow but sure. been restoring while driving our 02 coupe.
Most recently replacing steering drag link and lower control arms.
I was struggling to keep the car in a nice straight line while commuting and while carving twisties and round a bouts the car was a blast to drive. As the control arm bushing continued to fall apart the car was getting hard to hold straight on a hard launch.
All is fixed now only drawback is the car does not handle as well through the twisties at low speed.
The car gained ride height and ride quality is much smoother.

I am thinking a smaller spring pad in the front might give me the best of both worlds again.
Anyone experiment with W208 AMG spring pads? hmmm
Soon to follow is camber arms for the rear hopefully reducing tire wear and getting off the line safer and faster.

Merry Christmas, All the Best
Gator
Old 12-22-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
C43 AMG with a tune up
Euro AMG comes with the thinnest #1 spring pads.
That's approx a 2 finger fender gap with AMG euro spings.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
When I pulled a bunch of weight out of my CLK the ride height went up substantially, so I cut the coils to bring it back down to where I want it. It's a pretty easy job and I've been very happy with the results.

https://stumptownbenz.com/lowering-the-clk/
Old 12-23-2019, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Originally Posted by JoeJErnst
When I pulled a bunch of weight out of my CLK the ride height went up substantially, so I cut the coils to bring it back down to where I want it. It's a pretty easy job and I've been very happy with the results.

https://stumptownbenz.com/lowering-the-clk/
Thanks for the input.
I have taken a coil out before but not on Benz.
I may source a set of number one pads after the holidays to keep the car riding good.
I remember when the spring gets shorter it gets stiffer.
Cheers
Old 12-23-2019, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
That is true; they do get stiffer when you remove coils, but I'd be surprised if you could feel a difference if it was only 1/4-1/2 coil, but who knows.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2001 clk 55 amg
+1 on this as I've seen both sides as well. People with cut springs saying they're great as well as the smaller pad/euro spring argument.

my initial thoughts were to do smaller pad and euro spring to keep my "stockish" theme going, but then it seemed to much trouble to even try and get either now (more so than Euro cats for e46 M3 difference was there was a guy who stocked em in Jersey)

so my questions are... where can I get the #1 pad and euro springs? Cause that would be my first choice.

next would be...how exactly do you cut springs? Cause that's a hooptie style thing I'm not familiar with and finally

since I believe KW no longer carries a coil over suspension kit for coupe and BC/ no one else I know of makes coils for the 55 coupe

does adding airbag suspension eliminate the springs?

I messed up one of my spring perched a little and have been afraid to drive it. I created a thread but no one really commented. Tax season is coming up and looking to figure out rear poly full suspension bushing/wrap front bumper and finally shocks and struts and car will be complete.

thanks!