CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Joe P's W208 CLK55 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 09:31 AM

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG: 2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by insame1
i didn't think they sold them.
lol well then look it up.

I don't understand what you're talking about. This Stud kit is specifically manufactured for Mercedes with the option to run different length studs along with Conical or Ball seat lug nuts.

The studs I installed are their 90mm race studs with ball seat lug nuts as I've explained above. What is your issue exactly?
Old 06-22-2022, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ahmed
I just picked up on that statement now. WOW
How did that happen? So you currently have 2 sets of Monoblock 2 wheels (17's and 18's)??

What made you go for that kind of a setup? I'm curious.

That is correct. I wanted a larger wheel in the rear just for personal preference. Ive had no problems with the set up i am currently running with rubbing, they work perfect. Ive seen a guy with a convertible run 19" mono's and he did have to roll the fenders to get them to fit. However with the 18's just in the rear i didn't have to modify the quarters even with the 15mm spacers. The stance of the car looks killer in person. I may have an issue once I lower it a bit more however I'm going to buy a different set of 18'' wheels anyway, so if i have to modify the fenders/quarters i'll do so then and report back.

Otherwise this set up has been working flawless

Also, check out the company I mentioned above "Motorsporthardware.com" I would strongly suggest buying their stud kit rather then running longer lug bolts especially with your set up.. The only reason Mercedes used 1 piece lug bolts rather then a stud and a nut was to save money. They are pretty much pointless IMO, and dangerous once you start running different wheel/spacer setups.

Last edited by PHILLYCLSJOE; 06-22-2022 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ahmed (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 09:57 AM

Not much of a driver lol but this is with the stock 17' monoblocks and the 15mm spacers in the rear.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Originally Posted by PHILLYCLSJOE
lol well then look it up.

I don't understand what you're talking about. This Stud kit is specifically manufactured for Mercedes with the option to run different length studs along with Conical or Ball seat lug nuts.

The studs I installed are their 90mm race studs with ball seat lug nuts as I've explained above. What is your issue exactly?
I did and they only sell those tiny ones you have I Have the longer style but i also have aftermarket wheel on most of my cars. i have stud converted 5 cars with their studs.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:54 AM

I did and they only sell those tiny ones you have I Have the longer style but i also have aftermarket wheel on most of my cars. i have stud converted 5 cars with their studs.

Ok i still don't understand your point? What are "Tiny ones"? I don't even know what that means. Are you referring to the ball seat lug nuts? You asked if i have conical wheel nuts on my car, i explained to you i do not, then you said they don't sell ball seat, but they do sell ball seat because i'm running them. lol

If you're going to make smart comments you should take your own advice in your signature there and do some homework first, or just "log off"

Old 06-22-2022, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok i still don't understand your point? What are "Tiny ones"? I don't even know what that means. Are you referring to the ball seat lug nuts? You asked if i have conical wheel nuts on my car, i explained to you i do not, then you said they don't sell ball seat, but they do sell ball seat because i'm running them. lol

If you're going to make smart comments you should take your own advice in your signature there and do some homework first, or just "log off"

Well if you READ my post it says I didn't know they sold them you are awful defensive for no reason. Take a breath and read what i wrote not read into what i wrote.

yea i mean the small lug nuts you have no point of longer studs if you don't have longer nuts . https://motorsporthardware.com/produ...eel-race-nuts/

Last edited by insame1; 06-22-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:00 PM

no point of longer studs if you don't have longer nuts
do you realize what you just said is completely wrong and makes no sense?

the length of the stud is what is important, it’s what’s holding the entire wheel/spacer onto the hub. the lug nut length has absolutely no bearing. You actually can’t even run lug nuts on extended studs that aren’t open because the stud depth would prevent you from torquing down the lug nut. It wouldn’t work. You need open ended lug nuts, such as the ones I’ve installed, in order to work properly.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

do you realize what you just said is completely wrong and makes no sense?

the length of the stud is what is important, it’s what’s holding the entire wheel/spacer onto the hub. the lug nut length has absolutely no bearing. You actually can’t even run lug nuts on extended studs that aren’t open because the stud depth would prevent you from torquing down the lug nut. It wouldn’t work. You need open ended lug nuts, such as the ones I’ve installed, in order to work properly.
man, you are talking to me like i dont know what i am taking abut.
1 for performance application i would run the correct offset not a spacer.
2 more threads on a lug nut contacting the stud = more mechanical grip
3. the nut i linked are open ended.
I have been a part of a number of racing associations and have to pass tech many many times. I get safety and reliability. If you would like to be respectful and have cogent conversations I am fine with that. At this point you seem to be a noob that knows everything so ill just bow out.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:31 PM

man, you are talking to me like i dont know what i am taking abut.
1 for performance application i would run the correct offset not a spacer.
2 more threads on a lug nut contacting the stud = more mechanical grip
3. the nut i linked are open ended.
I have been a part of a number of racing associations and have to pass tech many many times. I get safety and reliability. If you would like to be respectful and have cogent conversations I am fine with that. At this point you seem to be a noob that knows everything so ill just bow out.

The nuts I have work 1000% perfectly fine. I also can't run a different offset considering these are stock wheels, so yes I wanted spacers. Im not racing the car around a track every day, the reason I bought what i bought is for the set-up im currently running.

Im not trying to be a JO but don't come in my thread telling me what i should/shouldnt be doing with an attitude and get mad when someone calls you out and/or explains to you what you're not understanding.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The nuts I have work 1000% perfectly fine. I also can't run a different offset considering these are stock wheels, so yes I wanted spacers. Im not racing the car around a track every day, the reason I bought what i bought is for the set-up im currently running.

Im not trying to be a JO but don't come in my thread telling me what i should/shouldnt be doing with an attitude and get mad when someone calls you out and/or explains to you what you're not understanding.
I had no attitude. you took it that way. that is not my fault. I can say what ever i want on any thread. Please see below for details. I was not called out because i was not wrong. Good luck bud with the way you perceive help your going to need it.
(unsubed)
Old 06-25-2022, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 132 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one. Including me...
Wait... let me check.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 clk 55 amg
Originally Posted by Ahmed
Are you having any clearance issues with your extended bolts tapping against the parking brake on right rear?
I installed 12mm H&R spacers with the extended bolts accordingly and was having one bolt tap the parking brake. I found it strange that only one bolt was doing that.

My setup right now is front 8.5x18 (235/40/18) and rear 9.5x18 (265/35/18)

I get fender rubbing in the front with those tires, hence factory recommends 225/40's for those wheels on the W208, and 255/35's for the rears.

The 18" Monoblock 2's were never really meant for the W208.

https://youtu.be/HPCqZmGfvnY
what is your estimated ET of the front wheels? Spacer size etc. i have set of 18x8.5 in the front ET 44 I am considering 10mm spacer and same tire size as yours.

how bad was front rubbing? Was on inside or outside?

thanks!
Old 04-21-2023, 10:45 AM

I found a Renntech air box that popped up for sale so i jumped on it and bought it. I also ordered a brand new engine cover directly through my Mercedes Dealership which i was shocked they still had any left. The engine bay is slowly coming together but I still have lots to do, including so more cleaning/detailing.

On another note, The headers.(I Know) I need to get this exhaust system straightend out asap. I still need to order high flow cats for the set up, which I have decided i'm going with Kooks High Flow Green Cats. I keep changing my mind on the exhaust set-up because i'm not exactly sure which route i want to go.
The one side of the exhaust has broken free right before the resonator and i don't like the way it sounds at all, which now has me questioning if i want to install the electric cut outs i bought. When everything is said and done this entire exhaust system is going to cost more then i paid for the car, but here are the plans i'm trying to refine as i see it right now.

Plan 1: MSC headers down to the Kooks Cats, I'll run 2.5" to around the back of the doors and weld in the Electric cut outs. From the cut outs it will flow into a small 2-1 resonator and back to the stock AMG muffler.

Plan 2: MSC headers to the Kooks Cats, 2.5" back to a 2-1 Resonator. Install (1) electric cutout before the rear muffler. I have a feeling i may like this a little better now hearing the car the way it is right now.

Plan 3: MSC headers to the Kooks Cats, 2.5" straight back with no resonator but sent into a true dual W210 AMG Muffler. My only concern with this is i'm not sure if a W210 muffler will fit properly under the CLK without being modified, however i do like the fact that it is a true dual set up all the way back to the tips.

Let me know what you guys think, and what you think would sound the best from your experience. I don't want the car extremely loud, just a nice rumble when i open it up. But i'll have the option to make it louder with the electric cut out. I know I am way over thinking the whole process but i want
to do this set-up right. I also want a few V-Bands in the system so i can easily interchange set-ups. Say i want to add back in a factory resonator or an upgraded one, i can simply un-bolt and bolt in without having to cut and weld. Same thing for the back muffler, if i want to take the AMG muffler out for something else.

Thanks for the input Gents, I haven't been driving the car much due to winter but took it for a nice drive yesterday and man do i enjoy it.

Here are a few pics of the engine bay with the new goodies:

The following users liked this post:
TMJCLK55AMG (05-16-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Great work so far. Congrats! You might consider painting your windshield washer fluid reservoir black. I've done this to all of my CLKs and I think it just makes the engine compartment have just a better overall black look. I only have this one pic on my phone, but here so you can get an idea of what it looks like. I've since blacked out the bottom of the radiator coolant reservoir to the left as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by lowphat:
PHILLYCLSJOE (04-22-2023), TMJCLK55AMG (05-16-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 11:47 AM

That looks beautiful! How long have you had the Kleemann supercharger? I would love to do that to mine eventually. Theres one on Ebay right now for sale, its on a C55 in Jersey. I went down to look at it but it looks like its been sitting for quite a bit, and the car is hit on both sides with a salvage title. I was thinking of buying the whole car and doing a wide body. you would have to cut the quarters for repair anyway so at that point you might as well just buy a kit, but its a ton of work and another project i can't handle right now.

There was also a Kleemann CLK on FB Marketplace out in Cali for sale not too long ago, i believe it was an '02 with 40K and sold for around $30k

Beautiful car though, do you have a thread on it with any more info?
Old 10-27-2023, 11:47 AM

I found a set of 18" Forged Renntech wheels locally about 2 months ago and had to grab them. At first i wasn't sure if I liked how they looked, but once i pulled the car out into some light they turned out to fit the car very well. Tires are pretty much gone and will need a new set. I may go with a slightly different size depending on the suspension set-up i decide to go with.

I may try to run a smaller spacer in the rear with a larger width tire. If i can go with a 5mm spacer in the rear on a 265 wide tire i think that would be perfect.

The calipers look terrible however I'll be upgrading the entire braking system here shortly, so it will look much nicer once its complete.

Not much else has changed with the car recently due to being so busy with work.

I did also pick up a W220 S55 AMG which I have been very much enjoying. The M113 is a beast but the M113K is just on another level. The power to push a nearly 5000LB car so effortlessly really is impressive, and with loads of luxury at that. Mercedes made some of the best cars in this era IMO.

- Joe

Old 03-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Afa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk
Any update of what the feeling ? link where to buy them? thanks

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-06-2024, 05:12 PM

Unfortunately, they haven’t been installed just yet, but hoping to have them in before summer. Who knows. These headers are Moscow Supercharge first generation and they do not have the “clearance cutout” on the one side of the header like they sell now. I’m going to have to cut and weld in a smaller section towards the bottom of the header so it will clear properly.

I’m also debating pulling the engine for a freshen up with all new seals and gaskets etc. I may pull the heads and have them ported and polished and add some ARP Head studs.

I just picked up a very rare HPS Supercharger system from a guy here locally. The original owner had it installed on his E500 wagon. I think it’s going to be a great set-up, and I figure it’s probably a good time to freshen the motor up a bit before I go throwing boost at it.

I’ve been collecting a ton of parts for this thing that are just sitting waiting to be installed. Hopefully I can start making some progress in the spring.

lastly, also picked up a Renntech shift knob which looks and feels great.

This is what it looked like installed on the Wagon