CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Tightening up a W209 CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2021 | 04:09 AM

W209 CLK55 - 2003
Tightening up a W209 CLK55

I have a 2003 CLK55 with around 125k miles on the clock. Recent purchase of a 2016 E220 on 37k has highlighted how tight the newer car feels in comparison and I am wondering whether freshening up the chassis on the CLK is the answer.

Over the last 5 years / 15k miles I have done:
  • Rear shock absorbers and top mounts
  • Rear toe adjustment arms
  • Front lower front arms
  • Front lower rear arms
  • Front inner and outer tie rod ends
  • Front roll bar drop links
  • If it matters, engine and transmission mounts.

Everything done in pairs.

I’d describe the handling as heavy with a little bit of looseness that feels like it is coming from old bushings. We have an annual test here (UK) so anything visibly split/worn is replaced. Car is lifted and wheels shaken as part of that so I can assume there is minimal play in the wheels.

I’d imagine overall it is a good example for the year with nothing terrible wrong with it.

Before I put my questions forward, I should say that I am not interested in modifying the car. This is more about bushes more than it is about coil overs. I might consider polyurethane, but that is it.

Questions:
  • For similar cars that have gone through a refresh, which parts have had the greatest impact?
  • How much of this is just how the CLK55 was from the factory? I guess it was never meant to provide the last word in driver feel.
  • Do any of the following stand out as likely to make a big difference? Front top mounts, front struts, front and rear roll bar bushings, remaining rear arms? (three each side)
  • Flex disc is original. Although not part of the chassis, would a new one make the car feel ‘tighter’ overall?

I must admit that I am slightly reluctant to start looking at things like removing the subframe. I appreciate it will be part of the problem, assuming bushes are original, but that feels like a world of hurt. I’ve also seen people break the bolts for front roll bar bushes, so have held off those, although I suspect they would go a long way.

Grateful for input and experience from others.

Last edited by breeze247; 06-13-2021 at 04:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2021 | 10:11 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by breeze247
I have a 2003 CLK55 with around 125k miles on the clock. Recent purchase of a 2016 E220 on 37k has highlighted how tight the newer car feels in comparison and I am wondering whether freshening up the chassis on the CLK is the answer.

Over the last 5 years / 15k miles I have done:
  • Rear shock absorbers and top mounts
  • Rear toe adjustment arms
  • Front lower front arms
  • Front lower rear arms
  • Front inner and outer tie rod ends
  • Front roll bar drop links
  • If it matters, engine and transmission mounts.

Everything done in pairs.

I’d describe the handling as heavy with a little bit of looseness that feels like it is coming from old bushings. We have an annual test here (UK) so anything visibly split/worn is replaced. Car is lifted and wheels shaken as part of that so I can assume there is minimal play in the wheels.

I’d imagine overall it is a good example for the year with nothing terrible wrong with it.

Before I put my questions forward, I should say that I am not interested in modifying the car. This is more about bushes more than it is about coil overs. I might consider polyurethane, but that is it.

Questions:
  • For similar cars that have gone through a refresh, which parts have had the greatest impact?
  • How much of this is just how the CLK55 was from the factory? I guess it was never meant to provide the last word in driver feel.
  • Do any of the following stand out as likely to make a big difference? Front top mounts, front struts, front and rear roll bar bushings, remaining rear arms? (three each side)
  • Flex disc is original. Although not part of the chassis, would a new one make the car feel ‘tighter’ overall?

I must admit that I am slightly reluctant to start looking at things like removing the subframe. I appreciate it will be part of the problem, assuming bushes are original, but that feels like a world of hurt. I’ve also seen people break the bolts for front roll bar bushes, so have held off those, although I suspect they would go a long way.

Grateful for input and experience from others.
Cars have certainly advanced, and some of what you’re feeling is the faster steering ratio.

I would refresh bushings/arms, new Bilstein OE replacement dampers, and install a slightly bigger front sway bar (the one from the CLK63 Black), which will give you a quicker feeling front end.
The following users liked this post:
breeze247 (07-21-2021)
Old 08-12-2021 | 03:12 AM

W209 CLK55 - 2003
Slightly embarrassing update…

I’d had a bit of a clattery ride for a while which I had put down to front top mounts. In an effort to smooth things out until I got around to fixing, I had dropped the pressure in the tyres.

At inspection, the front lower control arms were found to be bad (rather than the top mounts) and were replaced. But I never increased the pressure in the tyres.

Tyres properly inflated and that has improved things massively.

I still think these cars lack the level of sharpness that I would like, but would say mine is now doing what I would expect it to do.

Very tempted to do all of the rear lower arms (those I haven’t yet touched) but aware that they won’t contribute to feel like the front end.

Last edited by breeze247; 08-12-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2021 | 07:20 PM

Firemist O5 CLK55 Cab Silver 05 CLK55 Coupe Tanzanite 06 CLK500 Coupe
Not to flame anybody but in my opinion the sway bar you want to change is the rear, not the front which is plenty fat enough for these rides.
The following users liked this post:
Spooky55 (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021 | 04:51 AM

W209 CLK55 - 2003
Originally Posted by waveterrorist
Not to flame anybody but in my opinion the sway bar you want to change is the rear, not the front which is plenty fat enough for these rides.
I’m thinking more bushes than replacing sway bars to be honest.

I’ve found the handling on circuit to be fine and reasonably neutral. Note that I’m not expecting it to drive like a track car (I have a dedicated track car).

Last edited by breeze247; 08-15-2021 at 05:07 AM.