CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

W208 CLK55 AMG M113 Supercharge Conversion HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 03:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
W208 CLK55 AMG M113 Supercharge Conversion HELP

As the title implies, I will be ordering and installing VRP's new M113 Supercharger conversion kit in an attempt to see what the M113 platform does with boost. I have run into a few questions before ordering, as all the parts will be ordered over the next 2 to 3 months. I will give a full price breakdown of all my cost after everything happens for better accuracy and no skepticism. I was originally going to procharge the car, but that is definitely out of budget while in college.

1. The ECU situation.
VRP says the current method of doing this conversion is to use an ECU out of an M113K. So, I am currently talking with Eurocharged about having a stock M113K ECU reflashed with my vehicles VIN.
2. The Boost Situation
I, as many may be, was concerned about the amount of boost this kit runs. I've been informed that it runs the stock 11 psi with stock headers, but depending on the year the motor was made and the exhaust setup, it could be as low as 8psi. Either way, it sounds safe to me.
3. The Fuel Situation
I have read through the forum and many have said that the fuel pump/injectors will need to be upgraded. I planned on upgrading to VRP's 550cc injectors. (I've also heard that the stock injectors and fuel pump run just fine up to 500hp, so I am confused)
What about the stock W208 CLK55 fuel pump though? Mine is actually bad and if I am going to order a replacement, I would rather upgrade it now rather than spend the extra money on a fuel pump I'll replace in a month.
I have heard about the fuel pressure regulator being in the filter, which only allows roughly 4 bar. So, if I run an upgraded pump with the same 4 bar FPR, would the 550cc injectors still spray the same amount of fuel? (should still be 55-58psi in the rail right?)

Solution to Fuel:

Adjustable DW FPR and Fuel Filter
Bosch -044 Pump
Will post pictures of the set-up with a diagram later.

Last edited by Kaleb Bailey; 12-21-2022 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alexis lehavre (11-26-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
You are on a slippery slope my friend. :-) Fuel system upgrades can get complicated and expensive real fast.

I would tackle the fuel pump/filter issue first - get the car running with your N/A motor on a fuel pump/filter that will support the eventual supercharger and bigger injectors. You will have to do some research to figure out how much fuel flow you will eventually need to support the horsepower you want, then find a pump, filter, and regulator that will work. A good place to start is the fuel flow calculator on the Injector Dynamics website: http://injectordynamics.com/injector-selector/

To keep things simple I would try to find a filter/regulator from another car that has the same pressure (80psi?) but can handle more flow than the stock NA m113 filter in the W208. Did any of the M113k cars come with external fuel pumps? You might be able to do an external adjustable regulator with a Bosch -044 pump and a generic aftermarket filter. You'll have to get creative.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:42 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Hello again! My original plan was to follow your advice from the last "procharge" thread I had made with the Bosch -044 pump, filter, and adjustable regulator.

I had seen on another thread that a 2010 VW GTI filter comes as a unit with the regulator like our cars, but allows 6 bar (which is roughly 86psi I believe?), which would make hook-up a lot easier, but far less adjustable. As far as I am aware, there were no M113K with external fuel pumps.

I was attempting to fix the car with the upgraded fuel pump, stock filter, stock injectors, so that when I begin doing the upgrades and supercharge kit, I would not need to order the fuel pump. I've chosen to replace it with a cheap OEM replacement for now (should only need to last a month or 2 before I finally park the car for the season and begin the build process).
Old 11-03-2022, 07:36 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Update: I received a supercharger unit and oil to change it out. Currently trying to source a couple of surge tank (or intake manifold?) bolts as it is missing 2. Also has a boost gauge fitting put in it from whoever previously owned the unit, so I can get a number for boost.

Currently have an M113K ECU, Engine wiring Harness, and STAR/Xentry Programmer on the way. I should be able to order and receive the rest of the parts over the next month and begin building within the first week of December.

This is just the beginning for this car, as I plan to do a 3.06 gear&pinion swap, Quaife LSD, TCU Tune, and a couple other things in the first half of next year. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the final drive ratio programmatically with the Xentry/STAR program? or does it require a different program?
Old 11-08-2022, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 55
Definitely following this thread! Looking forward to updates on cost and also dyno #s at that boost. Would love to do this with my w209 clk55 sometime in the future.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:33 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
I appreciate the support! I run with a great group of guys locally and we have some fun things planned next year during Summer. I'm talking drag days, track days, roll races, and some dyno pulls!

I have been documenting everything so far in terms of parts ordered and the exact cost I paid. When I begin the build, I plan to make videos with step-by-step!
Old 11-21-2022, 07:37 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Update for Today:
I have received the Xentry/STAR programmer, software, wiring harness, and ECU!
I have ordered the 635cc injectors from VRP.
I have also ordered the M113 Conversion Kit from VRP with the split-cooling kit they sell with it. (Includes bosch pump, reservoir, and heat exchanger)

The rest of the parts (pretty much just fuel pump, regulator, etc) will be ordered next Thursday.

Anyone know what the stock rear axles are rated for? I am aware it's probably the first thing to break on the car when pushing power but want to make sure they'll be ok at 500 to 550whp. The plan is to get quotes for carbon fiber axles (pricey) but should easily take 1000whp while reducing drive train loss.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:41 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Quick Thanksgiving update:

I have received the split cooling kit
I have also received the 630cc injectors with the harness adapter.
VRP is still working on shipping out the pulleys and other things from the actual conversion kit on their site, so I will keep y'all posted.

Next week on Monday I will be ordering Moscow Supercharge LTH, an OEM throttle body, the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and a boost gauge!

Additionally, I will be taking off the nitrous kit I currently have on the car and selling it. AND A BONUS: I just purchased an absolutely mint 2002 E320 4MATIC in silver with the Dish looking mercedes wheels to be my new daily driver.

Hope everyone has a good thanksgiving and I can't wait to start this build in a couple weeks!
Old 11-26-2022, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w208 M113K
CLK M113K no probleme is possible

Originally Posted by Kaleb Bailey
As the title implies, I will be ordering and installing VRP's new M113 Supercharger conversion kit in an attempt to see what the M113 platform does with boost. I have run into a few questions before ordering, as all the parts will be ordered over the next 2 to 3 months. I will give a full price breakdown of all my cost after everything happens for better accuracy and no skepticism. I was originally going to procharge the car, but that is definitely out of budget while in college.

1. The ECU situation.
VRP says the current method of doing this conversion is to use an ECU out of an M113K. So, I am currently talking with Eurocharged about having a stock M113K ECU reflashed with my vehicles VIN.
2. The Boost Situation
I, as many may be, was concerned about the amount of boost this kit runs. I've been informed that it runs the stock 11 psi with stock headers, but depending on the year the motor was made and the exhaust setup, it could be as low as 8psi. Either way, it sounds safe to me.
3. The Fuel Situation (This is where I need advice/help)
I have read through the forum and many have said that the fuel pump/injectors will need to be upgraded. I planned on upgrading to VRP's 550cc injectors. (I've also heard that the stock injectors and fuel pump run just fine up to 500hp, so I am confused)
What about the stock W208 CLK55 fuel pump though? Mine is actually bad and if I am going to order a replacement, I would rather upgrade it now rather than spend the extra money on a fuel pump I'll replace in a month.
I have heard about the fuel pressure regulator being in the filter, which only allows roughly 4 bar. So, if I run an upgraded pump with the same 4 bar FPR, would the 550cc injectors still spray the same amount of fuel? (should still be 55-58psi in the rail right?)
hello ! I've been driving a M113K 500 for t years in my 430 no engine management problem I use an AEMFIC8 and 2 MAF no missfire I can help to avoid worries I've currently done 70Kmiles noooo problems 1000 THANK
Old 11-27-2022, 02:22 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
I appreciate it! Maybe you can chime in on the following question:

What Fuel Pressure Regulator did you end up using? I am unsure if I should get on that allows for boost reference or not. Tuning and other, I am not worried about because of the programmer I have. Let me know if this is something you have some info on!
alexis lehavre (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 02:24 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Hey Joe,

Do you think I could get away with running the ~80 psi pressure with an adjustable FPR and not using a boost-reference FPR?
Old 12-06-2022, 06:24 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Another update (12/6/2022)

I am hoping to have all parts by this Friday (12/9/2022) and will begin the build regardless on Saturday (12/10/2022). I am currently waiting on VRP to send the custom machined pulley and some other stuff including block-off plates for the SAI. I am also waiting on the fuel tank to fuel pump line to come in.

However, I will begin the whole front end of the project, including having 99% of the fuel system hooked up and routed. Updates may slow down to allow myself more time to thoroughly write up a guide with pictures, videos, receipts, etc.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:08 PM

w208 M113K
clkm113k

I am hoping to have all parts by this Friday (12/9/2022) and will begin the build regardless on Saturday (12/10/2022). I am currently waiting on VRP to send the custom machined pulley and some other stuff including block-off plates for the SAI. I am also waiting on the fuel tank to fuel pump line to come in.

However, I will begin the whole front end of the project, including having 99% of the fuel system hooked up and routed. Updates may slow down to allow myself more time to thoroughly write up a guide with pictures, videos, receipts, etc.
HI! there's no reason it shouldn't work! it takes time and patience !!
Old 12-08-2022, 10:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 AMG, CLK 113K Swap. 2005 SL600
W209 CLK 113k

Maybe I could be some of help I did CLk 113K swap I took the engine fully built by myself out of my E55, I took the engine and transmission I took the ECU EIS TCM And put it in the CLK. I had to reprogram the TCM but I am putting the rear end from my E55 in the CLK. For the fuel system I used my high flow fuel pumps from the E55 and I just converted them and made them fit in the CLK. I ran the Pumps no basket and I built a holder for the pumps custom in the fuel tank. I have separate cooling I put the last DTK150 tune on it with clutchless pulley I didn't dino it yet cause I'm not fully finished with it I built the car for drifting. But with the numbers it has should have about 750 horsepower 830' pounds of torque. CLK-55k Swap
Old 12-08-2022, 10:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 AMG, CLK 113K Swap. 2005 SL600
W209 CLK 113k

Maybe I could be some of help I did CLk 113K swap I took the engine fully built by myself out of my E55, I took the engine and transmission I took the ECU EIS TCM And put it in the CLK. I had to reprogram the TCM but I am putting the rear end from my E55 in the CLK. For the fuel system I used my high flow fuel pumps from the E55 and I just converted them and made them fit in the CLK. I ran the Pumps no basket and I built a holder for the pumps custom in the fuel tank. I have separate cooling I put the last DTK150 tune on it with clutchless pulley I didn't dino it yet cause I'm not fully finished with it I built the car for drifting. But with the numbers it has should have about 750 horsepower 830' pounds of torque. CLK-55k Swap
Kaleb Bailey (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 02:18 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Very cool project! Honestly that is my end goal with the M113, but I will have to swap the rods out before continuing past 550whp. Also, I just responded to your pm!
Old 12-09-2022, 02:33 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Another update 12/9/2022

Currently waiting on receiving the fuel pump supply line from the tank (coming today) and the VRP SAI block-off plates (also arriving today). I reached out to VRP regarding the pulley and they are hoping to have it shipped out to me before Christmas, so it looks like I will not be able to have it running and driving this weekend. However, 99% of the work will already be done.

The project begins early tomorrow morning!
Old 12-21-2022, 01:15 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Update 12/21/2022

Project has begun. Current progress is:

Front bumper removed (needs prep for supercharger heat exchanger)
Wiring Harness removed
ECU removed
Stock Intake Manifold removed
Fuel rail removed
New 630cc Injectors installed on stock fuel rail
Fuel pump removed
Fuel filter removed
Need to finish running the fuel feed line (-8AN and E85 compatible)
Need to begin running the fuel return line + tap the tank (-8AN and E85 compatible)
Need to hook up new fuel pump, fuel filter, and FPR
Need to install Supercharger Pulley
Need to do Supercharger oil change + install supercharger
Need to install fuel rail

Overall, making some good progress but I am definitely going slower than I originally wanted to. However, shipping times being delayed have allowed me to slow down and be more patient. I will give a full write-up at the end of this project to explain any and all problems I ran into and how I diagnosed and solved them.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:19 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Here are a couple of pictures.
I am also doing a headlight intake!

Old 12-21-2022, 04:39 PM

w208 M113K
conversion

Here are a couple of pictures.
I am also doing a headlight intake!

hello your block you have not enough cut the nose of the compressor will touch you have to cut lower and I repeat it to all the 500 has an RV10 while 55amg RV11 you risk breaking the connecting rods or seizing at 90% prefer a 500 for the modification have you planned a water pipe on the side and the oil exchanger don't forget you have the nose of the compressor which passes . do you want pictures of what i did?
best regards Alex
Old 12-21-2022, 07:55 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Hey Alex,

I appreciate the info! From what I hear the rods and current set-up should allow for around 550whp without compromising reliability too much. However anything after is risky waters.

I am aware the bracket needs to be cut lower, but I am awaiting for the custom pulley to arrive as it removes the supercharger clutch anyways which significantly reduces the amount of room I need for clearance. I also have a kit to keep the supercharger on its own closed cooling loop with the heat exchanger.

My current issue I could use some help with is where to route the fuel lines. I am upgrading to -8AN braided line, but I am limited in head space as I have no lift. Removing the driveshaft, exhaust, etc is something I am heavily trying to avoid so I was trying to run line through the rocker. Unfortunately, the rocker will not allow me to run the line all the way to the rear unless I run between metal frame and the actual fiber-glass side skirt. I am tempted to use the side skirt as a place to tuck the new line, but I am also aware of the dangers that brings so I am seeing if I can find a better way. Any help is appreciated with that.

Also where you reference "RV10" vs RV11", are you talking about the compression ratio?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2022, 09:18 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
My current issue I could use some help with is where to route the fuel lines. I am upgrading to -8AN braided line, but I am limited in head space as I have no lift. Removing the driveshaft, exhaust, etc is something I am heavily trying to avoid so I was trying to run line through the rocker. Unfortunately, the rocker will not allow me to run the line all the way to the rear unless I run between metal frame and the actual fiber-glass side skirt. I am tempted to use the side skirt as a place to tuck the new line, but I am also aware of the dangers that brings so I am seeing if I can find a better way. Any help is appreciated with that.
Wanted to also say the thermostat clearance issue I am aware of but am waiting for the pulley as well. I believe there is a belt and new thermostat that changes the direction coming, but I could be wrong about that. I will order the thermostat if need be.

Additionally, I have found a solution to my fuel routing issue. Through extensive research, I learned it is in fact safe to run a solid SS braided PTFE line through the interior (no connections in the interior, just straight line) so I will be going up through the trunk and the interior out the front firewall by the fuse box. I will take pictures to show the routing when I begin work on it soon. It will also keep it out of the elements and allow it operate safely and efficiently, while keeping it hidden from under the car.
Old 12-22-2022, 01:01 AM

w208 M113K
modif

Hey Alex,

I appreciate the info! From what I hear the rods and current set-up should allow for around 550whp without compromising reliability too much. However anything after is risky waters.

I am aware the bracket needs to be cut lower, but I am awaiting for the custom pulley to arrive as it removes the supercharger clutch anyways which significantly reduces the amount of room I need for clearance. I also have a kit to keep the supercharger on its own closed cooling loop with the heat exchanger.

Also where you reference "RV10" vs RV11", are you talking about the compression ratio?

Thanks!
HI! my friend yes I am talking about volumetric ratio it is very important you will have to drive very very rich with ethanol for the knocks especially around 3000rpm the torque will be at the maximum I wish you to arrive but I do not understand why you don't keep your original line it has a very good flow finally make up your mind if you think it's good!! I would post some. photos to show you the changes!! good holiday !!!
A++++
Old 12-22-2022, 08:27 AM

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG: 2004 S55 AMG
Kaleb great work so far pal, keep it up. There is a performance auto shop located in West Virginia called "Modern Masters" who do a lot of Mercedes and AMG builds. They actually just did this exact same thing you are doing on an ML500 and used a lot of VRP parts. If you type in "Modern Masters Auto" on youtube you should be able to find the short video of it. I would give them a call and ask them about that ML500. Im sure they would be happy to help answer any technical questions you may have about your build.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas! looking forward to updates as you go

Old 12-22-2022, 09:35 AM

w208 M113K
swap

Originally Posted by PHILLYCLSJOE
Kaleb great work so far pal, keep it up. There is a performance auto shop located in West Virginia called "Modern Masters" who do a lot of Mercedes and AMG builds. They actually just did this exact same thing you are doing on an ML500 and used a lot of VRP parts. If you type in "Modern Masters Auto" on youtube you should be able to find the short video of it. I would give them a call and ask them about that ML500. Im sure they would be happy to help answer any technical questions you may have about your build.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas! looking forward to updates as you go

HELLO ! the M113 500 is excellent for mods only H beam rods and you will have the top. 55 AMG pure no K is **** and very very expensive don't sacrifice it I sent you the photos you can see it's simple and easy the key is in the timing cover!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W208 CLK55 AMG M113 Supercharge Conversion HELP