CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

02 CLK55 Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 CLK55, 23 M5 Competition, 94 540i, 23 Range Rover P525, 00 Corvette
02 CLK55 Limp Mode

I’ll apologize in advance for this long post. I’ve got an 02 CLK55 with 61k mi on it. Bought last year, and actually have not been having good luck! I’m doubting my usual mechanic, so figured I would give this a try. Runs perfectly fine, but goes into limp mode after about 30sec of driving. It started out that it would be ok after turning the car off and back on. Then before I could get it to the shop the check engine light stays on and it goes into limp mode every time. I brought it to my mechanic and it was there for literally 2mo, then a transmission shop for another 2mo, the shop saying the transmission needed to be rebuilt (the transmission shop checked it, and it doesn’t). I just got it back from the transmission shop last week (not fixed). I need to bring it back to my original to have them put it back together. But before I do, I’m consulting here, and I’ve ordered a diagnostic tool to pull codes myself. Here’s what I’ve had done: started with full conductor plate/trans service kit, had the TCM refurbished, ECM refurbished, ABS/ESP Module replaced (used), front speed sensors (MB Genuine). I bought a rebuilt shifter, but the shop said it didn’t need it. I can’t return it and am going to have them put it in anyway bc I don’t know what else is left. Does anyone have any ideas?! I’m going insane and just want to drive my damn car! Thank you in advance! My next post will be a long one about the top 😩
Old 02-28-2024, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by DR55
and I’ve ordered a diagnostic tool to pull codes myself.
This is where you need to start first.
Then come back and let us know what codes you get.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:49 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2004 e500
This is the NA 113 right? Might as well swap in a junkyard transmission for $300 if you consider a rebuild will probably be more expensive.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sandygear
This is the NA 113 right? Might as well swap in a junkyard transmission for $300 if you consider a rebuild will probably be more expensive.
You reminded me of the time I was prepared to replace my transmission until I realized... due to incorrect tire sizes, my wheel speed sensor was acting up and driving my transmission crazy.

A simple tire change and the transmission was smooth as butter.

It's electronic in my personal opinion. That's where I would point to before blaming anything mechanical.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 CLK55, 23 M5 Competition, 94 540i, 23 Range Rover P525, 00 Corvette
Scanner showed P2069. There are a million threads on this, none of which seem to show a solution...The transmission shop said that when the car was off the ground, it would shift through all gears. But when the front wheels were on the ground it would go into limp and give speed sensor code, which is when I replaced the front speed sensors with new Genuine MB. Still doing the same thing. Do I try the rear speed sensors? A few things coming up in threads mention possible incorrect signal at the gauges...anyone heard of that? I'm bringing it back to the shop and going to have them replace the shifter. It's all that's left regarding the transmission, and when I shift out of D into N or R, it doesn't engage at first, and I have to do it again. So I'm thinking maybe that could be it?
Old 02-29-2024, 06:09 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2004 e500
Originally Posted by DR55
Scanner showed P2069. There are a million threads on this, none of which seem to show a solution...The transmission shop said that when the car was off the ground, it would shift through all gears. But when the front wheels were on the ground it would go into limp and give speed sensor code, which is when I replaced the front speed sensors with new Genuine MB. Still doing the same thing. Do I try the rear speed sensors? A few things coming up in threads mention possible incorrect signal at the gauges...anyone heard of that? I'm bringing it back to the shop and going to have them replace the shifter. It's all that's left regarding the transmission, and when I shift out of D into N or R, it doesn't engage at first, and I have to do it again. So I'm thinking maybe that could be it?

There are speed sensors on the conductor plate for the transmission. Are you sure it wasn't for the conductor plate?

From what you mentioned this error started occurring after cp swap, maybe it was a bad part or install? If the solenoids don't get enough pressure from the tc, then the clutches slip and can't drive the wheels causing slippage causing speed sensor issues.

I'd say do the tc again with someone who has experience.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Please give details of your wheels and tire sizes.
Your problem may be there.