CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300, E350
Transmission Fluid

Wondering as an average home garage mechanic if I can change the transmission fluid and filter or if special tools are required ? Thanks, Michael
The following users liked this post:
Shark7000 (05-19-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 11:29 AM

2008 CLK-350 Convertible
Originally Posted by Michaelj
Wondering as an average home garage mechanic if I can change the transmission fluid and filter or if special tools are required ? Thanks, Michael

Yes. I watched several videos on how to do the job before doing it. I got a small hand fluid transfer pump from Harbor Frieght, with the orange body and tubes. I did order an adapter kit for the proper connection to fit into the filler hole from ebay. Now that it's time to change my fluid again, I hope I can find the adapter. The filter, fluid and oil pan seal was a kit on ebay for $149 with free shipping. It may be more today. It did come with new aluminum bolts, but those did not hold together for the proper torque spec. I had to drill one out and tap it to the next size up. I bought all new non-aluminum bolts, to properly torque them down. I do not know how often the transmission fluid and filter were changed before I got it, but when I drained it, it was pure black fluid coming out. Even on videos of people changing the fluid, they had black fluid coming out. The new stuff is not black. LOL
The following users liked this post:
Michaelj (04-27-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 12:08 PM

2008 CLK-350 Convertible
I couldn't find my adapter tool for the job, but I was able to do the job yesterday, with just the cheap fluid tranfer pump from Harbor Frieght. The hose is the right size to twist and thread into the threads on the pan. My car was on jackstands and I had a large drip pan under the oil catch drain pan. It was messy, but I got the job done.