CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Front hood rock dings - touch up or respray?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Front hood rock dings - touch up or respray?

OK ... first question (of many ... lol).

I want to get my new Beast ClearBra'ed ... but, alas, as I mentioned in my "Hello" thread, I've got about 6 or 7 small paint chip dings on the front hood (only wish the original owner had known about ClearBra!). Something needs to be done with those before it can be ClearBra'ed.

I took the car over to my body shop guy and he said the whole hood should be resprayed!

Besides the cost factor ... I think I'd rather have a car with a Mercedes paint job than a <insert body shop name here> paint job on the hood. (They do great work, don't get me wrong ... but whole-panel resprays are a whole 'nother smoke)

Can I just have a Mercedes dealer (or someone else?) put touch-up paint on all the chip spots or is that tacky, and I should just put aside my prejudices and let the body shop repaint the whole front hood?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I went to an MBCA Tech Session a several years ago and they were featuring paintless dent removal and rock chip repair.

The demonstration of the PDR was on a Mercedes 300E, but the rock chip repair was on an Acura that was a few years old. It was black too as your AMG is.

When he was finished with the Acura, you couldn't tell it from new! He used an airbrush gun and some other techiques to accomplish the repair.

I would say that if you can find a quality shop, you should get the results you desire. On the clear bra thing.....not sure if the paint has to cure for a certain time prior to application.

If all else fails, call Chip Foose
Old 01-28-2005, 07:32 AM

2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Thanks Chappy ... so I should look up shops that do "paintless dent removal" (and "rock chip repair", I suppose)? (These aren't really dents ... they're just little rock marks that chipped the paint ... they're actually pretty tiny, it's just that there's a handful of them)

Chip Foose ... he's a car designer, right? Not sure I understand ... unless you're kidding around with me :v

[Edit: What about the "AutoSharp Pen", anyone tried that? Looks interesting ... ]

Last edited by Riot Nrrrd; 01-28-2005 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd
Chip Foose ... he's a car designer, right? Not sure I understand ... unless you're kidding around with me :v
:p

Yeah, my feeble attempt at humor...sorry

There's a thread going on at the moment in the Detailing forum as well.

Good luck
Old 01-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK55 Cab
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd
OK ... first question (of many ... lol).

I want to get my new Beast ClearBra'ed
what is ClearBra and will the nips poke through when it is cold out j.k.
I would like to avoid those rock chips too
Old 01-29-2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by oracledba
what is ClearBra and will the nips poke through when it is cold out j.k.
http://www.clearbra.net/home2.html

They don't mention nipples
Old 01-31-2005, 09:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK55 Cabriolet, 2007 GL450
I've tried the paint pen. I can't say the results were any better than the standard touch up paint and brush that Mercedes sells. Of coarse it could be the applicator.