CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

KING of all CLK's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Not sure if it is true but I just got worf of a guy who just received his CLK DTM AMG car. Said he has been waiting over a year and just got it. I have known of him for a while through a business contact. I didn't think the car was sold in the US. The guy lives here in N. CA and is a huge car/bike fanatic. Pals around with jay leno and has the same passion for exspensive/fast car/bikes.

I didn't speak to him first hand but if I get the opportunity I will definitely verify.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Red face Oh, I knew they were fast, I didn't need you to tell me that, but...

Originally Posted by MBH
Matt,

I told you the CLK GTR was a fast one. Not many cars can touch it especially a street car. I was at Le Mans in '99 when Peter Dumbeck's #5 CLK GTR went airborn and into the woods. One of the most spectacular race accidents I have ever seen period. Peter was close to 200mph when his CLK GTR went airborn. I watched the CLK GTR's exccelerate out of Indianapolis corner and the raw power those things had was just awesome. I'll never forget it.

Here's some pics of the CLK GTR fipping in practice.

MBH
2005 E55
I honestly did not know, nor would I have ever guessed that it's 9.4 seconds in the quarter mile fast! As I mentioned before, the CLK GTR's that were raced at LeMans weren't the same as the production versions, but apparantely the production version isn't much slower, is it? Speaking of LeMans, I saw the CLK's flip at LeMans also, albeit on TV. I imagine that must have been nothing short of spectacular to see in person. Did you see both cars flip, or just the one? They were lucky that no one was hurt the second time, as heads would have rolled for sure... Having happened once is one thing, but twice is something else entirely... I still chuckle at all of the Luftwaffe references that were going around after that happened...

by the way, are you going back there? I've never been, but I intend to sooner or later. I feel that the 24 hour race is truly the "Worlds Greatest Auto Race", and it's nothing short of Mecca for a motorsports pilgrim like myself! I'll be sure to get in touch with you to get the skinny before I go!

Best regards,
Matt
Old 03-06-2005, 11:43 AM
MBH

2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Originally Posted by AMG///Merc
I honestly did not know, nor would I have ever guessed that it's 9.4 seconds in the quarter mile fast! As I mentioned before, the CLK GTR's that were raced at LeMans weren't the same as the production versions, but apparantely the production version isn't much slower, is it? Speaking of LeMans, I saw the CLK's flip at LeMans also, albeit on TV. I imagine that must have been nothing short of spectacular to see in person. Did you see both cars flip, or just the one? They were lucky that no one was hurt the second time, as heads would have rolled for sure... Having happened once is one thing, but twice is something else entirely... I still chuckle at all of the Luftwaffe references that were going around after that happened...

by the way, are you going back there? I've never been, but I intend to sooner or later. I feel that the 24 hour race is truly the "Worlds Greatest Auto Race", and it's nothing short of Mecca for a motorsports pilgrim like myself! I'll be sure to get in touch with you to get the skinny before I go!

Best regards,
Matt
Matt,

The 24 Hrs. is a real spectical for sure. I'm Glad I went in the hay days of the GT1 class, where you had the McLaren F1's, The CLK's , the Toyota Gt1's, Porsche GT 1's all on the same track at the same time. It was something I'll never forget. I didn't acturall see the accident in person, but watched it on the live feed they had all over the track. After the second flip Mercedes pulled all it's cars out of the race. First time they did that since 1955 when the 300SL's engine flew into the crowed killing 82 spectators. Motorsports worst ever accident.

I highly recommend going to LeMans at least once in a lifetime. I'm glad I did when I was a little younger and had the time to go.

MBH,
2005 E55
Old 03-06-2005, 11:49 AM
MBH

2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Originally Posted by baldmike73
Not sure if it is true but I just got worf of a guy who just received his CLK DTM AMG car. Said he has been waiting over a year and just got it. I have known of him for a while through a business contact. I didn't think the car was sold in the US. The guy lives here in N. CA and is a huge car/bike fanatic. Pals around with jay leno and has the same passion for exspensive/fast car/bikes.

I didn't speak to him first hand but if I get the opportunity I will definitely verify.
Not unless he plans on keeping it at one of his homes in Europe if he has such a place?. The CLK DTM AMG is not sold in the USA nor is it DOT,EPA approved for the US roads. Only 100 of them were ever built, 60 left hand drive and 40 right hand drive.

MBH,
2005 E55