CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Clk 63 Black At Msrp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Yes, I'm sure they will be rare....just like

the E55 was going to be rare, the SL 600 was going to be rare, and the Maybach was going to be years out if you wanted one. Yeah. This is why the classfieds of the NY Times, WSJ, and every buff magazine is full of them for sale, all at extreme discounts. In case you haven't noticed, one of the main problems at DC and MBUSA is that they don't have any car guys in charge. It just doesn't interest them.
Oh well, looks like I'm a sucker too on this one. Just get my car here!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
You kind of answered the issue yourself and agreed with me. Yes I know the power differences between the E55k and the 2004-2005 CLK55 and that is why they both FLOPPED in the market. A 2005 CLK55 was a great car just not as snazzy as a blown 500hp 4 door that drove like a pile of poop.

So they stopped production and felt that a 80-85k coupe in the us market was not going to fly very well. With that no CLK63 ever showed up either even though I think it would have sold very well.

So now AMG goes and offers the Black edition car in the usa and people get angry with the pricing and how its just a hard top CLK. It goes beyond that and is more a factor of ability to import a car like this. The SLK did not work for the US market due to side impact laws as the airbag is in the door and not in the seat. The SLK used those same carbon fiber doors and this means no side impact protection. On the flip side the CLK could use a bolstered up OEM frame with the same old side impact system as the normal car. So here is the Black Edition for the usa.

MB customers are different than BMW customers as AMG people like power and comfort instead of power and cornering ability. This AMG is for the people who have always wanted a race track worthy AMG not a big heavy sedan ready to go drag race with american muscle cars at the local Thursday night street races.

I am just happy to see AMG changing their focus towards sporting cars. AMG should be more than just a massive lump with a ho hum chassis. If people want to go 1/4 mile racing get a used SL600 and take it to RENNtech but if you want a car with equal abilities in acceleration, braking, and cornering I think the Black edition is a huge step forward. Slowly I think AMG will focus their cars towards being sports cars (other than with the large body S and CL cars) and let the tq monster crew go with 600's.

The debate with the Maybach and SLR comes back to the fact that they were too expensive for their level of exclusivity. Both had roots to normal MB cars and neither was all that exotic. The SLR and a gussied up 55k engine and the maybach was a over grown W220 with a recirculating ball steering system instead of a rack. People in that market want a purpose built car like a Phantom or a CGT. Had the SLR been harder edged and had a racing bread motor it would have done far better than it did.

Also the CLK suffers from the oh its just a c-class coupe syndrome and asking people to fork over 90k for a C-Class is really difficult. Look at the price of a used CLK55 and you see how quickly they fall to C320 pricing. US customers look for class and style with cars not really performance on the bigger scale. They would rather get a bigger E55k because it has more presence and is more justifiable as a 90k car.

I see the black edition car as worth 130k all day long.

You are so right. Only a person who has true passion for tracking the car can appreciate what MB-AMG has done with the CLK Black Series. Even with my limited track experience I can understand the difference of tracking an AMG Black series versus my E55 or SL55 with a ton torque…The more technical the track the more you would appreciate having a car like this. Most honest people will also tell you if they have a GT3 or even a TT these cars ride really rough and aren’t the best for everyday or long drives. There will some comprise in having a car that you can drive everyday as well as take to the track but for me it would be worth it. Especially since I have been considering a dedicate track car…..

I wish the price was cheaper and I think that may be the main reason why they have not 100% confirmed the $135K price. I was at the NY Auto show and spoke to the AMG team on hand and also heard Volker say final pricing has not been released even though the memo to the dealers with the $135K price had already been issued. So I am on a wait and see….

Last edited by ShelleE55; 04-24-2007 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
the E55 was going to be rare, the SL 600 was going to be rare, and the Maybach was going to be years out if you wanted one. Yeah. This is why the classfieds of the NY Times, WSJ, and every buff magazine is full of them for sale, all at extreme discounts. In case you haven't noticed, one of the main problems at DC and MBUSA is that they don't have any car guys in charge. It just doesn't interest them.
Oh well, looks like I'm a sucker too on this one. Just get my car here!

............I agree with you. I don't know why we have all come to buy into the idea that a company will refuse to sell you a product and take your cash from you. There are really no limited production Mercedes cars. The limit in the production is only based on the manufacturer's assesment of how many people will buy it. Even then, they are wrong. There are so called "limited production" SL65's, SLR's, Maybachs everywhere because nobody wants to buy them. MB's are nice cars, but they are not exotics. Anyone that wants one, can get one. There is no velvet rope to enter this club.........all you need is a check book, even for the black series.

Ted
Old 04-24-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT3
So where are the velvet ropes when buying a Lambo. All you need is a check book at the Lambo dealer also. Any color combo, etc can be had anywhere. I'm failing to see your logic on this one. As with anything all you need is money. Mclaren F1's can be bought, Enzo's, etc. Just takes $$$. Regardless, a count of 350 Worlwide does fall into the exclusive category whether you agree or not. Look at the DTM. As for the rest, C55's/E55's, they are definitely over produced and retain very little value.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
So where are the velvet ropes when buying a Lambo. All you need is a check book at the Lambo dealer also. Any color combo, etc can be had anywhere. I'm failing to see your logic on this one. As with anything all you need is money. Mclaren F1's can be bought, Enzo's, etc. Just takes $$$. Regardless, a count of 350 Worlwide does fall into the exclusive category whether you agree or not. Look at the DTM. As for the rest, C55's/E55's, they are definitely over produced and retain very little value.
........I do not think velvet ropes exist when buying a car of any type. If you have the money, yu can get whatever car you want. I just find it interesting that some luxury car owners have talked themselves into the belief that there is some worthiness test they have passed other can having the cash to pay. Separate from this there are a few cars that have become true exotics over time. They are rare simply because they are no longer made and few copies exist. In this category, cash alone may not get you one. One such example will be the Mercedes gullwing. None of the cars we are discussing fall into this category. Not the black series not the gallardo.

Ted