CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Future Value of CLK63 Black Edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2007 | 07:12 PM

05 E55
Future Value of CLK63 Black Edition

I've read the wide variety of opinions on this forum re: the value & merit of the car (or lack thereof). Oddly, both sides make sense to me at times:

1) The group that lists all of the unique features, adjustable suspension, brakes, track car, diff cooler, widebody, etc. They seem to think that $135k for the car is actually fair, considering a run of the mill SL55 is right there with it.

2) The other group insists its a marketing tool, we should have had the CLK63 instead, its an overpriced C class, and there are a slew of other cars more deserving of our money (GT3, R8, etc), among other things.

Regardless of what group you reside in, I'd like your thoughts about residual value, both short and long term. For example, with the new CLK model coming in and only 350 BE's made world side (150 in the USA, right?), do you see this as a future collector car regardless of the above arguments? Will it be a flop and drop like an anchor during resale like the 65 cars a year from now? Is it a long term only thing?

I wonder, in 30 years, where this car will sit in the collector market, with all our new hydrogen hover crafts, etc.... haha.

I also wonder how desirable it will be in just a couple years, if a friend of mine kept it that long, and which direction the price would go if he flipped it.

Anyway, please give me your thoughts.

Thanks,

Loren
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:42 PM
Banned

06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
It just gonna be another car. The AMG 65 engine models now a day, you can get it for dime and the SLR were about 1000 cars short of their sale goal !!! Not only that, Mercedes is having problem selling it at retail price. Some dealer are offering $30-$50 off the msrp !! So with all these facts, what make you think with "black series" edition will be a collectible car?
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:43 PM
Banned

06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
It just gonna be another car. The AMG 65 engine models now a day, you can get it for dime and the SLR were about 1000 cars short of their sale goal !!! Now only that, Mercedes is having problem selling it at retail price. Some dealer are offering $30k-$50k off the msrp !! So with all these facts, what make you think with "black series" edition will be a collectible car?
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
hmm

I don't believe this car will be appreciating in value. On the other hand, I certainly believe that it will depreciate slower than most AMG (that DROP like a rock).

I see it as being more like the 500E's.
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
If you read my posts on this subject you will see I fall in the first group BUT as the owner of multiple brands outside AMG, Here are my .02 regarding what the car will be worth....

First, the number for the US seems to be 350 not 150.

According to a couple of dealers that I have spoken to, the allocations have been released. Some will get cars right away and others may not get cars until next year. According to the Private Lounge, all of them will be delivered by next summer.

The first few cars that hit major dealers in CA and FL will go for big $$ over sticker. Speculators will get a hold of a few cars and try and flip them quickly as well over sticker. If they can not (as in the SL65's) the prices will drop back to MSRP or slightly below very quickly.

About the time the second wave of cars start coming in, many of the people that bought the first ones will have 1.5K miles on them and they will be moving on to whatever is next.

If the cars stay on the top of everyones minds from the press ect, they should hold their value throught the first 100 cars being sold. My guess is that would be by September or October. If the car really performs and the first people that get them really talk them up, they may hold their value fairly well. 115K - 120K range or so for the first year.

My key dealer has deposits for 8 cars and they claim they are getting three so they do seem to have some demand.

The real time for these cars and any Mercedes to tank is when the first cars start to come off of lease. At the two year mark when this happens and the new body style comes out I would expect them to take a pounding. Another big question is what will the next Black Series be from AMG????

If you don't have one of the first cars, I wouldn't plan on flipping it unless you have someone lined up as you may get stuck with the car.

This is why I only buy cars that I like even if I take an ocasional bath on one (like my SL65.) Unless you are buying truly iconic or classic cars or a truly limited production car (Enzo, CLK DTM, they will go down in value. Just part of the game.

Remeber that the price is determined by what the market (you and I) are willing to pay for car. If you get a discount off of MSRP then be ready for the hard hit to follow!

It cracks me up a bit when I hear the same people that want to "steal" a car for 15K or 20K under sticker then complain about the resale value.

I have a great question for others that may comment on this topic......

Do you consider 350 units in the US limited production? IF you do, then we may be OK on resale.

I don't care, as I will be getting one for sure!

Again just my .02.

Cheers,

Schiz

Last edited by Schiznick; 05-24-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2007 | 09:00 PM

It's a topic that will no doubt stir debate. Nobody knows for sure...

That said, limited production numbers don't necessarily guarantee high re-sale values. Anybody that has owned a new AMG car in recent years can attest to that, myself included.

But the Black Series has potential to be something a bit more special. It's not odd that both 'sides' make sense to you; I've made statements on this forum for both. Yes, it is a lot of car with some trick parts, and since they will sell every one that they import for $135k, it can't be argued that it's not worth the money. But it's also based on a C-class platform that is about to be replaced, it may be inferior to the upcoming ~$60k M3 on a spec sheet, it may be inferior to the next CLK AMG, and it makes the $106k GT3 look like a bargain. So it may take a steep hit in the short term.

In 30 years it may prove to be collectible based on the specialized factory-built performance parts and limited production numbers...but it depends a lot on what MB churns out in the mean time. If the environmentalists have it their way and we're coming to the end of a performance era, then it could be the next Hemi Cuda. If it's the first of many focused track cars from MB, with future vehicles even more so, then it may slide into obscurity.
Old 05-24-2007 | 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by SLK55R
I don't believe this car will be appreciating in value. On the other hand, I certainly believe that it will depreciate slower than most AMG (that DROP like a rock).

I see it as being more like the 500E's.
+1
Old 05-24-2007 | 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Watching Barrett-Jackson is a clue, buy horsepower and cars built in low numbers. 71 Hemi Cuda's, 65-66' Shelby 350 GTs. Dealers couldn't give those cars away. BTW, what are Gullwings fetching these days?
Old 05-25-2007 | 02:06 PM

08 clk63 amg black series
first of all i think this is a great post, and good points to all of you!

i have never owned an amg but many mercedes, so am not as first hand at the dropping resale value. all i know is that my dad bought a 1982 560sl the day i was born, and i just sold it for 20k(it had low miles) i think that is just about what he paid for it.... not quite sure.

but i think this car will be amazing, i am not going to even think about re-selling it ( unless fletcher jones is right.... they told me for every BS that they do not have pre-ordered they are setting the sticker at 190K, thats straight from the GM's mouth) so i will be buying this car just for me and only me.

i have the 2nd spot in socal, so i will hopefully be one of the first to give a good summary of how the car drives on the "real road". the dealer has given me a new delivery date of JULY 27th.

thanks for all the great insight into values, you guys really seem on top of the amg Game.
Old 05-26-2007 | 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
......mmmmm. I am currently in South FL where home prices are tanking. A home was the one sure thing that always appreciated. Even that cardinal rule is not holding true this year. Honestly, deep down from my soul I truly do not understand why otherwise intelligent people will think that a car will not drop in value. It is a freaking car. It will tank in value.......gospel! This is so crystal to me that I am actually having trouble understanding why anyone would think differently.

Ted
Old 05-29-2007 | 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
......mmmmm. I am currently in South FL where home prices are tanking. A home was the one sure thing that always appreciated. Even that cardinal rule is not holding true this year. Honestly, deep down from my soul I truly do not understand why otherwise intelligent people will think that a car will not drop in value. It is a freaking car. It will tank in value.......gospel! This is so crystal to me that I am actually having trouble understanding why anyone would think differently.

Ted
+1 even in cali houses are droppin. that never happens here. cars haha.
Old 05-29-2007 | 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
A home was the one sure thing that always appreciated. Even that cardinal rule is not holding true this year.
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
+1 even in cali houses are droppin. that never happens here.
Homes have never "always appreciated"; it isn't a "cardinal rule"...doesn't matter where on the planet you live. Long term, yes...but year over year every housing market has historically had downturns.

Has nothing to do with depreciation of automobiles, by the way.
Old 05-31-2007 | 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Homes have never "always appreciated"; it isn't a "cardinal rule"...doesn't matter where on the planet you live. Long term, yes...but year over year every housing market has historically had downturns.

Has nothing to do with depreciation of automobiles, by the way.
well here in cali we have only had one other time where houses were down and that was in the 80s i was a kid so i dont know to muck. i have only been into houses for 9 years and outta the last 9 years my house went up and up every year. this year its droped. so that is all i can speak on. i agree it has nuttin to do with cars i was just sayin cars like these shouldnt be investments. they are toys.
Old 05-31-2007 | 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
well here in cali we have only had one other time where houses were down and that was in the 80s i was a kid so i dont know to muck. i have only been into houses for 9 years and outta the last 9 years my house went up and up every year. this year its droped. so that is all i can speak on. i agree it has nuttin to do with cars i was just sayin cars like these shouldnt be investments. they are toys.
Word.

I was the proud owner of a gray M3 CSL when living in Europe. The M3 CSL can be had for very cheap now. It's price has aligned with the regular car on the second hand market. The CLK63BS will likely follow a similar path. Maybe it won't, but it's better to err on the side of caution if resale is important to you.
Old 05-31-2007 | 07:06 PM

well here in cali we have only had one other time where houses were down and that was in the 80s i was a kid so i dont know to muck. i have only been into houses for 9 years and outta the last 9 years my house went up and up every year. this year its droped. so that is all i can speak on.
FYI, California real estate dropped significantly through the early 1990s as well.
Old 07-01-2007 | 11:35 PM

2005 E55, 1959 220s Cabriolet, some other stuff too...
I predict a 68% residual in 36 months. If that figure is correct, buy one now and it could cost you $43k + (sales tax fees not included!) to own it for the next 3 years. That is almost $15k a year in losses.

Look at the SLR market as an indication. Some SLR retail prices reflect a 30% drop in one calender year. That is some massive depreciation! That is $130k in one year!

Car values are tough these days...meaning hard on the dealers and the owners.
Old 07-02-2007 | 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by abalto
I predict a 68% residual in 36 months. If that figure is correct, buy one now and it could cost you $43k + (sales tax fees not included!) to own it for the next 3 years. That is almost $15k a year in losses.
That's pretty much standard for any M-B nowadays. AMG do not seem to hold their value any better than the non-AMG models.
Old 07-02-2007 | 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by medici78
That's pretty much standard for any M-B nowadays. AMG do not seem to hold their value any better than the non-AMG models.
My experience is quite the opposite. The AMG's I've owned (eight in all) have beat the standard benz's in resale which are like Toyota's is Newport Beach.
I think market timing is the key. You don't want to be holding a model when the new body style comes out. I had an '04 E55 that I bought for $78k drove it 18k miles after 18 months and they gave me $72K when I got my CLS 55.
The worse experience on high dollar car is my former turbo Cayenne, $105K sold for $55K after 30,000 miles and 30 months. I"m done with porsche's.
Jimmy
Old 07-02-2007 | 09:59 PM

'11 997.2 Carrera GTS
If I were to buy one, I'd enjoy it and not worry about resale values. Then again when I buy a car like this I intend to keep it for awhile regardless of what else comes out. There will always be some new limited edition or hot car that people will jump all over so buy it for enjoyment, not profit.
Old 07-10-2007 | 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
MB has not released the lease residuals for the CLK BS. When having dinner with the some pretty high ranking people at MB and AMG a figure was thrown around as for the residual and it was not very good.

With that I doubt that its going to hold its value very well long run. But in 20 years it will hover in the 40's for a nice example instead of being worthless like most 20 year old cars. Like said before... Its the CLK 500E.

Also 4 CLK BE's have been put up on the status 4 list meaning dealerships are putting up their allocation slots to be taken over by other dealerships. If people think they cant sell the car and they want to get rid of them before they show up thats not a good sign at all.

I dont care I still love the car.
Old 07-10-2007 | 09:44 PM

GT3
I too love this car, but think the value will tank just like every other AMG. I just went to my dealer and picked up my deposit and gave back my allocation I say if money is no issue, buy it and enjoy it as it will be a spectacular car to drive and own.
Old 07-10-2007 | 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
I too love this car, but think the value will tank just like every other AMG. I just went to my dealer and picked up my deposit and gave back my allocation I say if money is no issue, buy it and enjoy it as it will be a spectacular car to drive and own.
Why were you going to buy the car in the first place? Sounds like you think the car will meet your expectations? If you are really scared about the resale value, leasing will be the way to go on any AMG.

This issue is not only common with Mercedes right now......
Old 07-11-2007 | 02:33 AM

GT3
Schiznick- Honestly, I've never leased a car before and don't know anything about leasing. I guess I should've researched it more, but leasing this car never even crossed my mind. That would probably be a good route for me in the future with AMG's. I love their cars and love my C55, just don't love losing all this money
Old 07-11-2007 | 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I dont care I still love the car.
AMEN brother!
Old 07-11-2007 | 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
Schiznick- Honestly, I've never leased a car before and don't know anything about leasing. I guess I should've researched it more, but leasing this car never even crossed my mind. That would probably be a good route for me in the future with AMG's. I love their cars and love my C55, just don't love losing all this money
Believe me, I don't like taking the hit either! My SL65 has been painfull but it is such a great car, I don't really feel that bad about it. The way I look at it is as long as I drive it I don't mind paying for it......

Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Future Value of CLK63 Black Edition