CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Tire problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by MACHC5
I drove the car to the detail shop today and while there I looked into the wheel wells. The CORSA tires are so soft they are picking up not just a little rubber... but also the little stones and debris from the roadways and sand blasting the wheel well areas.

Time to change to a more normal performance street tire.

MachC5
Well at least you got them up to temps on the street.
Jimmy
Old 10-16-2007, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by MACHC5
I drove the car to the detail shop today and while there I looked into the wheel wells. The CORSA tires are so soft they are picking up not just a little rubber... but also the little stones and debris from the roadways and sand blasting the wheel well areas.

Time to change to a more normal performance street tire.

MachC5
If you are not looking for the extra performance of a R compound tire, it sounds like you are making the right choice to move to a Max Performance street tire.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
Tires (part 2)

Didn't want to shell out the bucks for AMG wheels (didn't even want to ask price), so I asked the district rep if any of the wheel sets used at the track tests could be aquired. He was curious about that and got back to me by email saying "we don't sell used wheels", which I thought was understandable.

So, I called Tire Rack. When I'm there, they will put the car on a special lift and take CAD measurements to determine what wheels might fit. Apparantly, just knowing the offsets (which are in the manual) isn't sufficient, as the rear of the spoke design can interfere with the large callipers. It was kind of interesting when I called them today that the engineers were excited about seeing the car, as this will be their first.

By Friday, I expect to have more information. I will now also start investigating winter tires, as I would like to drive the car after the weather turns sour. AS
Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
Didn't want to shell out the bucks for AMG wheels (didn't even want to ask price), so I asked the district rep if any of the wheel sets used at the track tests could be aquired. He was curious about that and got back to me by email saying "we don't sell used wheels", which I thought was understandable.

So, I called Tire Rack. When I'm there, they will put the car on a special lift and take CAD measurements to determine what wheels might fit. Apparantly, just knowing the offsets (which are in the manual) isn't sufficient, as the rear of the spoke design can interfere with the large callipers. It was kind of interesting when I called them today that the engineers were excited about seeing the car, as this will be their first.

By Friday, I expect to have more information. I will now also start investigating winter tires, as I would like to drive the car after the weather turns sour. AS
Alex,
I love it when I'm not the first guinea pig. Keep us advised as to the findings as to offsets and comparable wheels. I'm looking for a second set for track days.
Jimmy
Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
I priced the MB rims the other day... they are $1400.+ each front and $1600.+ each rear wheel. Can't wait to see what Alex and the Tire Rack comes up with.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:52 AM

SR22
theyll come up with a fitment. then you can go to your favorite boutique and have them cut a set for you. HRE, Fikse, take your pick.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM

2003 E500
Since HRE, Fikse, and other 3-piece rims are custom made with various widths, diameters, and offsets wouldn't this mean that they can make a set for you?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Call HRE and get a custom set of wheels made with tire sizes that are actually reasonable. Running R compound tires as a daily driver... is nuts.

You can change the offsets and the widths so that you can run a standard 245 front 285/295 in the rear and only pay like $150-200 a tire which will last 15k miles.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:11 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Tires (part 3) long

I went to Tire Rack today, where the car caused a stir. It was the first they had seen.

Due to absence of data on alternate wheels, their engineer came down, placed the car on a special lift, and took CAD measurements of the front and rear. I will hear about choices in about 3 days. I had hoped to put 18's on for snows for a higher profile, but there is interference with the tie rod ends.

One of the principals (Mike) came down to see the car. He had one set of Bridgestones on hand, and thought they would be better than the Yoko's for rain, noise, and the ability to rotate right/left (Bridgestones aren't unidirectional).

After the new tires were mounted and balanced, they polished my wheels and asked to wash, then photograph the car. They actually have a studio set up behind a huge electric door. The photo is for the web site (try these virtual wheels on your CLK Black).

The Bridgestones are a bit less jittery at highway speeds, but subtract noticably from the sharp turn-in of the Corsas. They are quiet, wet road traction was better than expected, and no vibrations up to 100 (as fast as i went). They do squeal a little (unlike the corsas).

Vindication for those who suspected impact damage to my original left front tire. When the tire came off the rim, ther was a 3/4inch rent in the internal sidewall, apparantly classic for an impact injury. I can only suppose it happened during loading or the 12 miles on the odometer before I took possession. I hit nothing. The linear circumferential defect apparantly was a consequence. The bubble was air leaking past the cords of the body of the tire, into the sidewall.

I will post wheel options when Tire Rack tells me. I am specifically looking for winter wheels, which will be 8.5's ( I expect to have 245/35 fronts, and 245/35 rears). I suspect they will provide the rest of the options as well. AS
Old 10-19-2007, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
driving in snow in your CLK63 black?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by rlee02135
driving in snow in your CLK63 black?
LOL,
Please post up a pic in adverse condition. I destroyed My Audi Q Allroad last winter equipped with chains and we still lost. How much snow will the BS be able to dispel? You guys really use the BS as a daily? As a blizzard beater? I guess my tracking the 110k sedan is not as silly as everyone thinks. I will stay far far away from street tires, snow tires etc. Give me R comps, woooohooo

Are you attending this:

Experience an AMG Drivers training unlike any other on the planet at AMG Winter Sporting.

Mercedes-AMG is offering 16 exclusive spots for AMG Private Lounge members at the AMG Winter-Sporting from February 1-4, 2007 in Arjeplog, Sweden.

You will not find another opportunity to train your skills in an environment where you can safely push the limits of your AMG in this wintry environment.

With the intensive training program, the individual guidance from our experienced instructors and the various AMG models, rapid learning successes and plenty of driving fun are ensured.

Other program highlights are the opportunity to ride the AMG Ice Taxi and the eventful, exclusive social program - including a traditional evening in a tepee and much more.

The cost for the event is 3,440.00 ? incl. provision of AMG vehicles. This price also includes: theoretical and practical drivers training, accommodations for three nights, catering, direct flight from Munich, Stuttgart, Frankfurt-Hahn (Not Frankfurt International) or Hanover, provision of AMG vehicles manned in pairs.

Please note that the airfare from the US to Germany is not included!

The cost per non-driving companion is 1,550.00 ? in double/twin room, 1,940.00 in single room.

The flights from the German airports will leave for Sweden on February 1, 2008 in the morning, so an arrival in Germany on January 31, 2008 is recommended. The flights from Sweden back to Germany will leave on February 4th in the evening.

If you´re interested, we would kindly ask you respond by October 30, 2007 via email to: privatelounge@mercedes-amg.com. Attendance will be granted on a first come first served basis.

More information can be found at the AMG Private Lounge under Insider - AMG Events - AMG Winter Sporting 2008, which contains a short video of the experience. Additionally, you can find previous thoughts on the event in the Private Lounge under Lifestyle-Passion-AMG Winter Sporting.

If you have any further questions please don´t hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

AMG Private Lounge Team
Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 PM

Unfortunately, it is sandwiched between the Porsche (advanced) ice driving school in Finland (the best) and the Ferrari (new) ice driving school in Cortina.

I have a christening in Perth on Feb 3rd that we must attend, and I am trying to talk the parents into changing the date, and if I can do it, and there is still space available, I will go.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:46 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Re driving in snow:
My daily driver in bad snow conditions (and we get lots of snow) is my 2002 tt X50, on 4 snows.
But, from December thru March, it is possible to start the day clear and come home in snow. T drive the car, I need to be able to get home in the evening, including the ascent of the steep hill on which we live. I really don't want to park the car for 4 months, and I don't mind high hp rear drive cars in slick conditions, with adequate rubber.

From 1994 thru 2000, my daily winter (and summer) driver was a 1994 BMW 850 CSI, lowered and fully Dinanized. For those who don't recognize that. it was the "850 M", with full M badging on the sills and underhood, blue/red stitching, etc. It had less ground clearance than the CLK Black, and no skid control. I probably drove over 30,000 miles in real snow (on Blizzaks), as I wore out two sets, and sold the car with the third set still good.
That car listed for $102,000 in 1994.
As most have gathered, I view these cars as fun transportation, not as enshrined art works. Driving a little sideways is good. AS
Old 10-20-2007, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
Re driving in snow:
My daily driver in bad snow conditions (and we get lots of snow) is my 2002 tt X50, on 4 snows.
But, from December thru March, it is possible to start the day clear and come home in snow. T drive the car, I need to be able to get home in the evening, including the ascent of the steep hill on which we live. I really don't want to park the car for 4 months, and I don't mind high hp rear drive cars in slick conditions, with adequate rubber.

From 1994 thru 2000, my daily winter (and summer) driver was a 1994 BMW 850 CSI, lowered and fully Dinanized. For those who don't recognize that. it was the "850 M", with full M badging on the sills and underhood, blue/red stitching, etc. It had less ground clearance than the CLK Black, and no skid control. I probably drove over 30,000 miles in real snow (on Blizzaks), as I wore out two sets, and sold the car with the third set still good.
That car listed for $102,000 in 1994.
As most have gathered, I view these cars as fun transportation, not as enshrined art works. Driving a little sideways is good. AS

Thanks for the detailed response