CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Tire problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
Tire problem

At 1250 miles, I noted a one-half inch cut in the bead area of my left front tire, parallel to the rim, and very close to it. The tire has bubbled slightly at that point. There was no curb strike or pothole damage that occurred, and I have been the only driver, outside of the 20 or so miles on the car at delivery.

I am told our replacement tires are not even in production, and can't expect anything in October, and who knows when after that. Anyone have a single suggestion to keep my car on the road (and track)? Haven't been to the track yet, but have a tentative day scheduled on Oct 27.

All help appreciated. AS
Old 10-09-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The easiest solution:

Buy a second car for spares!

You might try putting some pressure on MB (Customer Service), they have expedite processes for cars that are "down", and will probally Fed-EX a tire for you from Europe, I'd expect nothing less.

At a minimum take to their service center (tow) and you'll start the clock running, they have to repair it within 30 days. It is unsafe to drive, afterall.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:31 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
can you post a picture ? Sounds like some road debris hit your tire and cut it. I seriously doubt MBZ will even consider a warranty claim for something like this. Especially considering the tires are R compounds.
I'd suggest replacing with a full set of MPSC's (that way at least you can drive it safely), hang onto the the Corsa's and wait until you can get a replacement left front Corsa. Wear should be pretty much the same and you could even have the new Corsa (when its available) heat cycled to match the other three.
Just a thought as I can see trying to get MBZ to step up on a tire prob as being very difficult. Sorry to hear about this...these Corsas are pretty fragile but man are they sticky. Goold luck.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:01 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by LZH
can you post a picture ? Sounds like some road debris hit your tire and cut it. I seriously doubt MBZ will even consider a warranty claim for something like this. Especially considering the tires are R compounds.
I'd suggest replacing with a full set of MPSC's (that way at least you can drive it safely), hang onto the the Corsa's and wait until you can get a replacement left front Corsa. Wear should be pretty much the same and you could even have the new Corsa (when its available) heat cycled to match the other three.
Just a thought as I can see trying to get MBZ to step up on a tire prob as being very difficult. Sorry to hear about this...these Corsas are pretty fragile but man are they sticky. Goold luck.
The good news is that MB will stand behind the tire (and I really think they should), but when that will occur is open to question. I intend to use my car as daily transportation, so I was curious about Corsa tire life. On Rennlist, I thought I recalled folks saying that MSPC's were 3,000 mile tires. That would be pretty sad, since it isn't unusual for me to put 100,000 miles on a car.

I will start pressuring the situation tomorrow. If the tire exists at all, I expect to get one. If it really hasn't been made yet, I will buy 4 of something else. I think leaving the car at the dealership for 30 days (I haven't yet done that) would trigger the lemon law in Indiana. But, I really don't want to give up the car.

I'm a techno-IT-idiot, so posting a picture is something I probably won't try. But the defect looks like someone took a scalpel and made a linear 1/2 inch slice, about 1/16 inch from the rim. I thought it might be from trauma induced at mounting, but I really don't have a clue. It is very suspicious for a defect rather than a road injury. AS
Old 10-09-2007, 11:29 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
The good news is that MB will stand behind the tire....(snip)
How do you know this ?

The MPSC's are similar to the Corsa's in regards to tread wear. Might be a better idea to just get the MPS PS2's which are very good too and will last much longer as they are not R compounds.

Whats the story with the Corsa'a limited availability ???? Is it just this particular size 268-285/30/19's ????
Old 10-10-2007, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by LZH
How do you know this ?

The MPSC's are similar to the Corsa's in regards to tread wear. Might be a better idea to just get the MPS PS2's which are very good too and will last much longer as they are not R compounds.

Whats the story with the Corsa'a limited availability ???? Is it just this particular size 268-285/30/19's ????
This is the latest from the Tire Rack:

Matched tire sets for 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 Black Series
Front: 265/30-19
Rear: 285/30-19

Performance Category: All
Brands: All
Speed Ratings: S,T,U,H,V,Z,W,Y
Run Flat: Included

Sort results by: Sort Order... BrandPricePerformance TypeSpeed RatingUTQG Warranty Rating

Yokohama ADVAN Sport
(Max Performance Summer)
Overview | Specs | Warranty | Reviews
Sidewall: Blackwall
Front: 265/30ZR19
Serv. Desc: (93Y) Load Index 93 = 1433lbs (650kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186+mph (300kph)

Load Rating: XL

UTQG: Treadwear: 180
Traction: AA
Temperature: A180 AA A
Price: $329.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: Low Stock
Front:

Rear: 285/30ZR19
Serv. Desc: (98Y) Load Index 98 = 1653lbs (750kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186+mph (300kph)

Load Rating: XL
UTQG: Treadwear: 180
Traction: AA
Temperature: A180 AA A
Price: $415.00 (each
Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
At 1250 miles, I noted a one-half inch cut in the bead area of my left front tire, parallel to the rim, and very close to it. The tire has bubbled slightly at that point. There was no curb strike or pothole damage that occurred, and I have been the only driver, outside of the 20 or so miles on the car at delivery.

I am told our replacement tires are not even in production, and can't expect anything in October, and who knows when after that. Anyone have a single suggestion to keep my car on the road (and track)? Haven't been to the track yet, but have a tentative day scheduled on Oct 27.

All help appreciated. AS
AS,
Prior to our track event, Pirelli repaced three tires on various cars due to a manufacturing defect. They were able to determine which tires based on computerized information and they knew exactly which cars had the tires.
I can't tell by your discription, if it was a road hazzard or mfg. defect. I would go to dealer and then Pirelli.
Jimmy
Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030

All help appreciated. AS
same problem, kinda on my car.. Tires , r comps in a 19" and sizing are difficult.

The corsas are not avail, the MPSC do not make a comparable size, 265/30 305/30, will the 305 fit? My solution seems a bit strange but here is what I did

1. Michelin Pilot Sport cup 265/30/19(front)
2. Toyo P 888 295/30/19(rear)

Both are R compound and comp tires. Likely get 5-7k as a daily maybe more?

The 265 tire is just very very rare. R comp for a 19" rim are even rarer
Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by fickleone
The easiest solution:

Buy a second car for spares!

You might try putting some pressure on MB (Customer Service), they have expedite processes for cars that are "down", and will probally Fed-EX a tire for you from Europe, I'd expect nothing less.

At a minimum take to their service center (tow) and you'll start the clock running, they have to repair it within 30 days. It is unsafe to drive, afterall.
MB might try to get you a tire but there is no law that you get 30 days to fix a car. Not where I live at least. I have had cars in the show for 60 days waiting for parts and MB never said anything. I had loaner car so what did I care.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
MB might try to get you a tire but there is no law that you get 30 days to fix a car. Not where I live at least. I have had cars in the show for 60 days waiting for parts and MB never said anything. I had loaner car so what did I care.
Lemon laws differ by state, and I think Indiana specifies 30 days of lost usage for a safety-related issue, or more than 3 trips for the same problem in year one of ownership.

I would almost rather go to Pilot Sport PS2's, if available in correct size, as I don't need that last 2 seconds of lap time, particularly when 99% of my driving is on open roads. I suspect that is what I will try when the first set of Corsa's wears out.

In the interim, I can't get a straight answer on the existence of a Corsa. MBNA service rep Theresa said they were available, 6 hours later dealer service writer said District rep said no availability. Working on offering financial reward for patience.

The loaner car is not the issue, as I have 4 other good road cars to pick from at home. The issue is an unusable $136,000 piece of equipment which has an attached interest cost of about $28.00 per day, and depreciation of about $80 a day (I am going to presume $30,000 in year one), and a window of opportunity for use which may be 45 days before snow flies.

The hundred a day isn't going to bust me, and I certainly could meander down the street to Tire Rack (about 60 miles from home), but I really want MBNA to step to the plate. AS
Old 10-11-2007, 10:40 PM

CLK63 BS
I am having a similar problem as very early on I got a flat in the left rear, so just bad luck (Nail) .

Spoke extensively with MBZ and Pirelli-not much help there. Then off to Tire Rack...they were pushing/recommending the Bridgestone Potenza's.

I am currently favoring the Pilot Sport PS2s at the moment, and I would then go back to the Corsas once availability gets sorted out. I "heard" Michelin will be making a tire for the BS but that could be, well

My current actual alternative is putting air in the left rear daily..it was repaired but is leaking very slowly, for now.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by juicee63
same problem, kinda on my car.. Tires , r comps in a 19" and sizing are difficult.

The corsas are not avail, the MPSC do not make a comparable size, 265/30 305/30, will the 305 fit? My solution seems a bit strange but here is what I did

1. Michelin Pilot Sport cup 265/30/19(front)
2. Toyo P 888 295/30/19(rear)

Both are R compound and comp tires. Likely get 5-7k as a daily maybe more?

The 265 tire is just very very rare. R comp for a 19" rim are even rarer
this tire set up destroys the corsas!! WOW, Toyo's are ridiculous
Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030

All help appreciated. AS
ok after much debate...

Go out and get a full set of MPSC

take off stocks and replace mpsc when your replacement corsa is avail. Make MBUSA pay for the tires

265/30/19 front
305/30/19 rear

My set goes on Tuesday!!,
Old 10-14-2007, 01:36 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I am told that tires will be available in this country on October 19, and at the dealership some days after. I'm still waiting to hear from my district rep on what their suggested recompense may be. AS
Old 10-14-2007, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Shouldn't you be barking at Pirelli for not supporting the tires? Seems like the issue lies with them when the dealer can't get a tire.

This is a great topic by the way. Seems like this is one of those situations where you really don't know where the fault is.

Could have been a tire defect but easily could have been something that hit the tire in the 1250 miles that you drove the car and you would have never known.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:11 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by Schiznick
Shouldn't you be barking at Pirelli for not supporting the tires? Seems like the issue lies with them when the dealer can't get a tire.

This is a great topic by the way. Seems like this is one of those situations where you really don't know where the fault is.

Could have been a tire defect but easily could have been something that hit the tire in the 1250 miles that you drove the car and you would have never known.
I'm not shy about accepting fault, but there is a very peculiar circumferential laceration (almost surgical incision) very near the rim. It is either an injury caused in mounting or a defect. I put all the miles on, and nothing hit the tire. The rim is totally unblemished.

I thought the car was getting a very fine vibration thru the wheel as speeds increased, but I was cautious with the break-in instructions and didn't exceed 85. I'm guessing the rent was there all along, and the bubble is a manifestation of use.

I put this on MBNA. They know what parts they are short on. Do you think they took all those demo CLK BS cars to the tracks with the automotive press and didn't have spare tires? I'm guessing they easily went thru a set a day. Can you imagine the reviews if the author's drive was extinguished by absence of a spare?

I'm think they used up supplies, but were pressed on introduction dates. To me, it seems like selling a car that needs a specific oil, but not having any available for the first guy who uses a quart. These are specific track cars that rip thru rubber, but there is no replacement available.
Word to others: Probably best not to go to track til tires available. AS
Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
I'm not shy about accepting fault, but there is a very peculiar circumferential laceration (almost surgical incision) very near the rim. It is either an injury caused in mounting or a defect. I put all the miles on, and nothing hit the tire. The rim is totally unblemished.

I thought the car was getting a very fine vibration thru the wheel as speeds increased, but I was cautious with the break-in instructions and didn't exceed 85. I'm guessing the rent was there all along, and the bubble is a manifestation of use.

I put this on MBNA. They know what parts they are short on. Do you think they took all those demo CLK BS cars to the tracks with the automotive press and didn't have spare tires? I'm guessing they easily went thru a set a day. Can you imagine the reviews if the author's drive was extinguished by absence of a spare?

I'm think they used up supplies, but were pressed on introduction dates. To me, it seems like selling a car that needs a specific oil, but not having any available for the first guy who uses a quart. These are specific track cars that rip thru rubber, but there is no replacement available.
Word to others: Probably best not to go to track til tires available. AS
While I certainly have no idea what happened to your tire, I do know that stuff is bouncing off our tires and rims all the time. It happens all the time to me. I have had slices, punctures and rim nicks all without ever feeling or seeing everything and I even check my tire pressures weekly and visually inspect my tires each time.

Your oil example is funny since this is exactly what happened to the first owners of SL65's. When they introduced the SL65 with a LSD that needed the differential fluid changed after break in....... no gear oil in the US. We had to wait for about three weeks for them to get it in the country.

The way I see it is that we are actually the problem here. At least I know I am part of the problem. I demand that MB gets me the car as early as possible then I complain about why I cant get new models even earlier.

My fear is this is exactly why we don't get all the really cool stuff from Germany. Can you imagine how pissed off we would be if that custom set of headers cracked and MB didn't have a set sitting in distribution ready to be shipped? Would we put up with a two month replacement time frame? I know I wouldn't.

I wouldn't be so sure that MB knows that Pirelli is short on tires for a specific model. That would imply that everyone communicates.......

I still think blame resides with the tire company. Should MB have held the Black Series deliveries until the were sure Pirelli had stocked all of its American dealers with replacement tires?

This car will be a dream for Pirelli
Old 10-14-2007, 06:35 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Don't want to sound like I have OCD, but the laceration is linear, parallel to the rim, and is actually inside (under) the metal lip of the rim where the rubber is protected by the metal. I know I haven't seen everything possible under the sun, but I have had all manner of tire failure in my 43 years of driving, including 40 years of racing. I'm pretty sure I am well over 1,000,000 road miles. This damage isn't from a road hazzard, in my humble opinion. Either a sharp tool pierced the rubber when the tire was being mounted (location compatible with that), or it's a manufacturing flaw.

Mercedes has tons of leeway on introduction dates. The magazines test actual production models three months before we see the cars. This is an instance where operations hasn't kept pace with marketing. That's their problem, not our fault. They could have waited 4 weeks before accepting our money, but would have lost $600 in interest. Pure business decision by MB. We assume our warranty can be honored, when sometimes it can't. That is a violation of the agreement.AS
Old 10-14-2007, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Just my opinion on the tires on these cars.... There Crap..!

And an embarrassment to the car..

MachC5

Last edited by MACHC5; 10-14-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:06 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
MB update:
My tire is being flown in October 19, and delivered some time after. In interim I have ordered a set of Yokahama Advan Sports from Tire Rack. MB district rep will pay for those to get me on the road sooner.
I thought that was fair. Comments? AS
Old 10-15-2007, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB update:
My tire is being flown in October 19, and delivered some time after. In interim I have ordered a set of Yokahama Advan Sports from Tire Rack. MB district rep will pay for those to get me on the road sooner.
I'll be real curious as to your thoughts on the ADVAN Sports.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
MB update:
IMO, pathetically slow response from MBUSA on a some $150K car w/lim window of use (b/c of weather in most of US) and steep deprec curve....yet marketed as supposedly a daily-useable car....

Suspect many cars today w/bespoke-spec tires/wheels have scant availability of replacement tires....key is how mfrs compensate customers for loss of use/hassle....and solve problem ASAP...

Recently had a false alarm re: one of my CL63 030 tires (TPMS glitch; car has more plebeian ContiSports)....was amused (but not surprised) to learn that, at time, entire state of CA only had two poss replacement tires (one in SF and one in LA).....

Colleague who got one of first 599s in US would daily-drive it to office in initial novelty period (he gets new Ferraris every 6mos; usually uses them as wkend mtn twisties cars, but 599 was latest fun toy, so drafted into daily commuting duty)....in any case, managed to blow out a tire and damage wheel in a pothole on freeway; got replacement tire (599's bespoke-spec ZeroHero) immed, but immed obtaining the scarce, back-ordered 20" Challenge wheel required major favors which he was able to easily accomplish as a well-known F customer at a major (and factory-owned F dealer)...(not sure if a one-off F customer would have had to mothball his 599 waiting for replacement wheel); but he was able to get his 599 back into daily commute duty in 48-72hrs....and unlike AMGs, 599s don't depreciate anyway.....and, in CA, one can drive any of these cars 365d/yr w/summer perf tires/wheels...

Era of just-in-time inventory/capital-efficient corporate car dealer networks; very few 20" perf tires/wheels sold in any critical mass; not clear how profitable many perf tire/wheel suppliers are these days, etc etc....

In your case, would expect at least additional $5Kish compensation in addition to stopgap tires for lack of use/hassle/lethargic and indecisive response of MBUSA to your issue....these are fast-depreciating, allegedly daily-useable AMGs, right????
Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And for the love of God... Why an "R rated tire" on a street car..
Old 10-15-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by MACHC5
I'll be real curious as to your thoughts on the ADVAN Sports.
I'm currently running Advan 048 on a porsche, grip isn't as good as Corsas, but hold up ok on the street with the steel belts and are plentyful. Oh, you might want ear plugs becasue they are LOUD. Did I mention that they are loud.
Jimmy
Old 10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I drove the car to the detail shop today and while there I looked into the wheel wells. The CORSA tires are so soft they are picking up not just a little rubber... but also the little stones and debris from the roadways and sand blasting the wheel well areas.

Time to change to a more normal performance street tire.

MachC5

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire problem