CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Possible Transmission Improvement from AMG for Black Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Possible Transmission Improvement from AMG

Just wanted to let you guys know I have posted the following letter to AMG in the private lounge.

"To Whom it May Concern:

As a new member and CLK 63 Black Series owner, I would like to say THANK YOU for providing us with this site.
The reason I am writing is to express my concern, and garner interest from other CLK 63 Black Series owners about the 7 Gtronic transmission in our vehicles. It has come to my attention that the new CLS 63 and upcoming C63 will have the 7 Gtronic PLUS transmission which, by all accounts, is mechanically identical to the transmission in the CLK Black Series. The major difference however is that when downshifting manually, the ECU will blip the throttle and rev match for the next lower gear. Taken from a recent publication regarding the CLS63:

"The AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC transmission now incorporates a function which blips the throttle automatically during downshifts. This does more than just intensify the emotive driving experience - the virtually load-free downshift procedure also leads to a reduction in load-alteration effects, which is of particular benefit when braking ahead of corners on the race track."

Since the CLK Black Series was designed for track use and spirited driving, I would like to formally submit a request to have this functionality made available for our vehicles. AMG has made a real winner with the CLK Black Series, and as a true enthusiast, I, and I am sure every other Black Series owner, would agree that this would be the icing on the cake.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions from other CLK 63 Black Series owners, and hopefully we can make a great car even better."

This is the response from the AMG private lounge team in Germany:

"We are currently reviewing this topic with our technical team and will post a response once we have an answer from them.

AMG Private Lounge Team"

Keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by LZH; 01-29-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: redundant title
Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Count me in if it happens. AS
Old 01-29-2008, 11:39 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
Count me in if it happens. AS
If you havent already, register on the AMG private lounge site.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatelounge/

All you need is your VIN to become a member. Then goto community, discussion boards and then the Feedback forum to respond to my letter. The more owners we have over there requesting this the better chance we have of making it happen. If they do not do it for us, I will have an aftermarket software program written and make it available to the public. Personally, I would rather this be a factory upgrade but I don't expect much. Hopefully I will be suprised as I see no reason at all why this cannot be done.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I tried, but my entry kept getting rejected. By recollection, they ask the VIN number, which I entered on each of 2 occasions without success. Is there a trick I'm missing? AS
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
I tried, but my entry kept getting rejected. By recollection, they ask the VIN number, which I entered on each of 2 occasions without success. Is there a trick I'm missing? AS
No trick, should be relatively simple. Just need to enter the last seven digits of the VIN (letter plus six digits) on an AMG vehicle.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
The first time I tried I typed in the entire VIN. I missed that it was only the last 7 digits.

Wish they would give me the blip on the E63
Old 01-30-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
'08 CLK Black, '08 SL65, '17 SL65, '07 SL55, '20 E63S Wagon, '14 GL450
My guess is that there is a fairly extensive QA process for automotive software – especially with respect to regulatory and safety concerns. Given the low number of Black Series vehicles, I’ll be surprised if they “upgrade” the software. But it will be great if they do.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
They only accept VIN# from USA cars. If you're not in the US, you're not welcome. I tried it myself and wasn't welcome (either).
Old 01-30-2008, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
They make sofware upgrades and downgrades all the time. Everytime you bring your car in for service they plug it in and upgrade one thing or another. A couple years ago I had one of the first M5's in the US, it came with "launch control", I brought it in for my 1000 mile service and drove it home. A few days later I attempted to use my launch control and it was gone. Fearing that I had broken something I called the service department at my dealer. They told me that they removed that feature from my vehicle. When I asked them why they told me that BMW shipped 7 M5's to the US with launch control but that it was only an option they were offering on the Europeopn versions. I begged and begged my dealer for the launch control back but they said they could not do it.

This one could go either way...it should be as easy as a click of a mouse for your service department to do the upgrade once AMG or MB authorizes it to be done.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by jrcart
They make sofware upgrades and downgrades all the time. Everytime you bring your car in for service they plug it in and upgrade one thing or another. A couple years ago I had one of the first M5's in the US, it came with "launch control", I brought it in for my 1000 mile service and drove it home. A few days later I attempted to use my launch control and it was gone. Fearing that I had broken something I called the service department at my dealer. They told me that they removed that feature from my vehicle. When I asked them why they told me that BMW shipped 7 M5's to the US with launch control but that it was only an option they were offering on the Europeopn versions. I begged and begged my dealer for the launch control back but they said they could not do it.

This one could go either way...it should be as easy as a click of a mouse for your service department to do the upgrade once AMG or MB authorizes it to be done.

Are you sure? My M6 had launch control (as did my M3 w/smg). They both were the hobbled versions (maxing out at ~1800 rpm versus the ~4000rpms of the European cars)

Last edited by chiphomme; 01-31-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:25 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

if I recieved the M5 with launch control and then it was removed I would have made them take the car back unless they put it back on PERIOD. That's complete BS!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Yes, I had one with full blown launch control. BMW North America confirmed that the first 7 M5's sent to the US had Europeon ECU programming. There exact reasoning (excuse)for re-programming was with concenrs to our fuel in North America vs. Fuel in Europe and the fuel mapping programs required being different. I know nothing about fuel in Europe, or fuel in general, so this sounded like a lame excuse to me, but whatever. As for your M3 with launch control..I was not aware that BMW ever offered any M3 (Euorope or US) with launch control. If they did its news to me. I have an 03 M3, it has no launch control...that I'm aware of.

Anyway, my point was not about BMW launch control, my point was that it would be very easy for M-B to re-program our cars with the upgraded software just as LZH stated early on in this thread. They can give us the upgraded transmission program just as fast as BMW took away my launch control program. It can't hurt to try.

Furthermore, I'm sure there are tuners out there that can program a similar transmission code in your vehicles. I'm sure this may have some warranty inplications, but would be an option if you really feel that it would be benificial to your driving style.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Yes, I had one with full blown launch control. BMW North America confirmed that the first 7 M5's sent to the US had Europeon ECU programming. There exact reasoning (excuse)for re-programming was with concenrs to our fuel in North America vs. Fuel in Europe and the fuel mapping programs required being different. I know nothing about fuel in Europe, or fuel in general, so this sounded like a lame excuse to me, but whatever. As for your M3 with launch control..I was not aware that BMW ever offered any M3 (Euorope or US) with launch control. If they did its news to me. I have an 03 M3, it has no launch control...that I'm aware of.

Anyway, my point was not about BMW launch control, my point was that it would be very easy for M-B to re-program our cars with the upgraded software just as LZH stated early on in this thread. They can give us the upgraded transmission program just as fast as BMW took away my launch control program. It can't hurt to try.

Furthermore, I'm sure there are tuners out there that can program a similar transmission code in your vehicles. I'm sure this may have some warranty inplications, but would be an option if you really feel that it would be benificial to your driving style.

My 2004 E46 M3 w/SMG had launch control. It was almost the same as my M6, a much tamer 1800 rpm limit than what the European cars had. Which always bothered me because magazines like C&D would always test the Euro models and get acceleration numbers US customers couldn't achieve (eg. An M6 at 4.1 to 60, 8.9 to 100, and a 12.4 @121 quarter).
Old 01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
LZH
Banned

And let’s hope they do as it will make the car much more fun to drive. Just as a data point and to clarify; the throttle blip in the new cars is a function of the ECU program, not the transmission.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:16 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree, I would be pretty pissed of not having this feature when the much cheaper c63 does- Now lets also lobby for them to make a simular one for the 5 spd for my c55 also!

BTW, who has that black clk63bs down here in SD??? I end up running into it constantly like we frequent the same places downtown and at the golf course-
Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 AM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Originally Posted by chiphomme
My 2004 E46 M3 w/SMG had launch control. It was almost the same as my M6, a much tamer 1800 rpm limit than what the European cars had. Which always bothered me because magazines like C&D would always test the Euro models and get acceleration numbers US customers couldn't achieve (eg. An M6 at 4.1 to 60, 8.9 to 100, and a 12.4 @121 quarter).
Actually, C&D has a habit of getting acceleration numbers nobody could achieve. They consistently seem to be a half second faster than any other published times.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM

1988 535i 5 speed

I heard the real reason was because of worrys about people suing because they wore out their tranny by using it too much.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:28 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Aside from sounding cool, and the THEORETICAL advantage of rev matching the downshifts, does it really matter?
Yes, I'd do it if it was readily available and didn't void warranty, but the torque converter dampens much of the downshift shock, and heavy braking mutes the rest, so I don't think it will have much practical value (like lap times).
It's a neat gizmo, but if it never happens, i won't lose any sleep. AS
Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
I Guess It's Not Happening

For all who are interested, AMG has just posted a reply regarding the rev-matching upgrade for the CLK 63 Black Series. Their reply is that the required software development and testing have turned out to be too difficult and / or costly. So, as of right now, there is not going to be any transmission upgrade for the CLK63 Black Series.

JDB
Old 06-21-2008, 01:48 PM

2011 C63
My tranny is already slipping, especially when the car is a little cold. It rpm's but doesnt move. Explain that one. I'm gonna fab up a T56 on the car.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by TTAMG
My tranny is already slipping, especially when the car is a little cold. It rpm's but doesnt move. Explain that one. I'm gonna fab up a T56 on the car.
tell us more..... do you drag race it? how many miles? warranty? don't mean to sound ignorant but what's a T56?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:52 PM

2011 C63
ive got about 5xxx miles on it. Ive had it since november. I mean i do drive it hard, but i totally respect it. Its happened a few times so far. Basicly if i were to leave work, or my house and i were to creep up on the throttle at low rpm (2500-4000) the tranny sometimes slips and the rpms jump above 4500rpm while the vehicle speeds stays near the same. Also if the car burns out in first gear, with no traction control on, it really hesitates, because the computer thinks the car is actually moving, yet its not so it up shifts to like 3rd and the car really boggs down, then it downshifts to the right gear. The second problem is common but just sad because the money spent should go towards more r&d with the tuning of these cars. Thats all it is, is tuning.

A T56 is the manual transmission made by tremec that is used in many cars such as the corvette, cobra, shelby, austin martin, etc, etc. I have a built one sitting in my garage that i had for one of my mustangs, and i also have a triple disc clutch for it. I was thinking of putting the bellhousing on a mill and milling it down, the drawing up the correct bolt pattern on solid works and making it fit. I think that would be the ultimate in a Black Series.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:53 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by TTAMG
ive got about 5xxx miles on it. Ive had it since november. I mean i do drive it hard, but i totally respect it. Its happened a few times so far. Basicly if i were to leave work, or my house and i were to creep up on the throttle at low rpm (2500-4000) the tranny sometimes slips and the rpms jump above 4500rpm while the vehicle speeds stays near the same. Also if the car burns out in first gear, with no traction control on, it really hesitates, because the computer thinks the car is actually moving, yet its not so it up shifts to like 3rd and the car really boggs down, then it downshifts to the right gear. The second problem is common but just sad because the money spent should go towards more r&d with the tuning of these cars. Thats all it is, is tuning.

A T56 is the manual transmission made by tremec that is used in many cars such as the corvette, cobra, shelby, austin martin, etc, etc. I have a built one sitting in my garage that i had for one of my mustangs, and i also have a triple disc clutch for it. I was thinking of putting the bellhousing on a mill and milling it down, the drawing up the correct bolt pattern on solid works and making it fit. I think that would be the ultimate in a Black Series.
While the thought is interesting, the value of your car will fall to zero, and half of the engineering features will vanish. This is probably a better project on another car. Personally, I find the shortfalls of the trans a minor issue. Sure, I'd like the dsg on the new SL class, but for 99% of my driving, it is irrelevant. AS
Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 PM

2011 C63
While the thought is interesting, the value of your car will fall to zero, and half of the engineering features will vanish. This is probably a better project on another car. Personally, I find the shortfalls of the trans a minor issue. Sure, I'd like the dsg on the new SL class, but for 99% of my driving, it is irrelevant. AS
Yea I'm all talk, although my sig does say clk "project car". The only hard part about putting a manual tranny in the car would be the clutch pedal assembly. I'm just worried the slipping with my tranny wont get worse.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:23 PM
LZH
Banned

The way these cars work nowdays and how all the onboard systems are integrated....it would be very costly to even TRY to make a T56 work. I used to have a TKO in my Superformance. Excellent unit with amazing shifts...but putting it in a Black Series would be silly IMO. Perhaps your dif is going bad/worn out already. Have the dealer open it up and take a look....a simple visual inspection will tell if it is the diff or the tanny or just simply software issues. Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible Transmission Improvement from AMG for Black Series