CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Can you get an extended warranty on a BS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH
So if that is true, then why would you be considering a car that is made for one thing - performance ?
Because I really want one but don't know if I want to spend more than $100K on car, this one or any one. High prices cars, all of them, and depreciating like crazy at the moment. It is not brand specific. Depreciation is the reason to buy or not buy but some me it is a factor into the decision.

I don't completely agree it was made for just performance. If it were, it would be more like the DTM car. It still has a lot of creature comfort and hence the weight. If it was purely for performance, it wouldn't have lumbar support or any power in the seats for instance.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:12 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by SteveL
Because I really want one but don't know if I want to spend more than $100K on car, this one or any one. High prices cars, all of them, and depreciating like crazy at the moment. It is not brand specific. Depreciation is the reason to buy or not buy but some me it is a factor into the decision.

I don't completely agree it was made for just performance. If it were, it would be more like the DTM car. It still has a lot of creature comfort and hence the weight. If it was purely for performance, it wouldn't have lumbar support or any power in the seats for instance.
It's PRIMARY purpose is performance. If you're worried about depreciation then lease it. There, just solved your problem....So, what were your driving impressions ?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:08 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH
It's PRIMARY purpose is performance. If you're worried about depreciation then lease it. There, just solved your problem....So, what were your driving impressions ?
Funny you should say that. I called LeaseCompare.com this morning. Unfortunately they don't list the car as an available model so I had to call to confirm the rates. I used a regular CLK63 to check the rates but the residual would be a lot different for the BS. I had to email them information on the car and they will get back to me. I assume others here have leased.

As I said, I could really not push it on a Saturday afternoon with the sales guy in the car on public streets. It was quick and the suspension felt very tight, not hard but very controlled. I have no doubts about the handling capabilities of the car. I didn't got over 90 mph on a crowded public highway but there is no question the car moves. I really liked the paddle shifters, steering and feedback was excellent. At this point, it is less about the car as I do love it and more about whether I want to spent $130K on a car.

It is a very unique car and the more I look at and sit in it, the more I understand its niche. A luxury track car that you can drive every day. It is a great car. I do wish it was lighter but I think every car should be lighter, especially track cars. And of course I wish it was a little less expensive. Every 5K or so less makes it easier to rationalize getting one. The GT3 is about as close a competitor as anything I think but not as good as a daily driver, definitely not the 996. I've heard the 997 is better but that was from an owner of one. People who already own something usually always say that support their decision to own one.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
The GT3 is about as close a competitor as anything I think but not as good as a daily driver, definitely not the 996. I've heard the 997 is better but that was from an owner of one. People who already own something usually always say that support their decision to own one.
PASM makes the 997 a far better street car than the 996 version. If your use would be primarily track, I'd suggest driving one as the transmission will give better control and the weight is significantly lower. BS makes a better DD though.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
PASM makes the 997 a far better street car than the 996 version. If your use would be primarily track, I'd suggest driving one as the transmission will give better control and the weight is significantly lower. BS makes a better DD though.
manual gearbox..... more involved, yes. Better...... good point for debate...
Old 03-04-2008, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Schiznick
manual gearbox..... more involved, yes. Better...... good point for debate...
I meant to say more involved. Good catch.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Funny you should say that. I called LeaseCompare.com this morning. Unfortunately they don't list the car as an available model so I had to call to confirm the rates. I used a regular CLK63 to check the rates but the residual would be a lot different for the BS. I had to email them information on the car and they will get back to me. I assume others here have leased.

As I said, I could really not push it on a Saturday afternoon with the sales guy in the car on public streets. It was quick and the suspension felt very tight, not hard but very controlled. I have no doubts about the handling capabilities of the car. I didn't got over 90 mph on a crowded public highway but there is no question the car moves. I really liked the paddle shifters, steering and feedback was excellent. At this point, it is less about the car as I do love it and more about whether I want to spent $130K on a car.

It is a very unique car and the more I look at and sit in it, the more I understand its niche. A luxury track car that you can drive every day. It is a great car. I do wish it was lighter but I think every car should be lighter, especially track cars. And of course I wish it was a little less expensive. Every 5K or so less makes it easier to rationalize getting one. The GT3 is about as close a competitor as anything I think but not as good as a daily driver, definitely not the 996. I've heard the 997 is better but that was from an owner of one. People who already own something usually always say that support their decision to own one.
I just finished two track days this weekend. I had tracked the car in Germany when I bought it, but this was my home track and the ritual was to be the more normal use. First, everyone including porsche owners thought the car was drop dead killer looking. I didn't change anything as I wanted to get a good feeling of how it was totally stock. Like all track cars, your always looking for something extra, like less weight, more power, more grip.
With that said, the car had no trouble against 996 trubos, M cars and held its own against a 993 trubo 3.8 on Hoosiers. I did get blasted by a ZO6 which was completly set up on race tires. I didn't expect to be the fastest but drivers are not use to seeing a MB grill in their rear view mirrors.

As the Corvette was being loaded on the trailer, I waived after I threw my track box into the trunk (can't do that in my porsche) and drove home.
Let's see, I only got three thumbs up on the way home. This car is the perfect duel purpose vehicle. I've had track cars, and I've had race cars,
every car is a compromise. For my lifestyle now this is the best. Hopes this helps you make up your mind.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Jim - Big Willow ?? If so, what lap times were you putting down ?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by LZH
Jim - Big Willow ?? If so, what lap times were you putting down ?
Yes, horrible conditions 50 deg. with 45-60 mph mph winds. Oh my times.1 37's. bone stock with only tire pressure change. BUT, fastest time of the day was a race Viper at 1:30s! Prolly get 5 seconds off with adjustments and good conditions. Wasn't really trying to get times just learn the strengths and weakness of the car. The event was sold out so lota traffic in my run group with limited passing zones.

Observations , traction control slowed car out of two and bottom of the omega. Need to lower car at least 1/2 inch, tighten front compression. Ran 36 ft and 33 rear hot. Never really got the tires up to temp (140 deg.) cold track. Surprisingly this car stuck in turn eight like you wouldn't believe and without a gigantic wing. I ran the car in S mode so it wasn't optimum upshifting on this track and I'll try manual next time.

Best part was seeing the look of M drivers looking in mirrors with a benz closing on them. Ran down both Elise's in the turns. Had great runs with a full race caged NASA M3 on slicks. Here's what so many are missing, I ran against full blown race cars and then drove it home and didn't need a kidney belt. Oh, and I drove it to dinner that night and no need for a valet ticket, they park it up front.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Yes, horrible conditions 50 deg. with 45-60 mph mph winds. Oh my times.1 37's. bone stock with only tire pressure change. BUT, fastest time of the day was a race Viper at 1:30s! Prolly get 5 seconds off with adjustments and good conditions. Wasn't really trying to get times just learn the strengths and weakness of the car. The event was sold out so lota traffic in my run group with limited passing zones.

Observations , traction control slowed car out of two and bottom of the omega. Need to lower car at least 1/2 inch, tighten front compression. Ran 36 ft and 33 rear hot. Never really got the tires up to temp (140 deg.) cold track. Surprisingly this car stuck in turn eight like you wouldn't believe and without a gigantic wing. I ran the car in S mode so it wasn't optimum upshifting on this track and I'll try manual next time.

Best part was seeing the look of M drivers looking in mirrors with a benz closing on them. Ran down both Elise's in the turns. Had great runs with a full race caged NASA M3 on slicks. Here's what so many are missing, I ran against full blown race cars and then drove it home and didn't need a kidney belt. Oh, and I drove it to dinner that night and no need for a valet ticket, they park it up front.
Jim, Great Track-day Story....: