CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Can you get an extended warranty on a BS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Can you get an extended warranty on a BS?

I looked at and drove one today and they told me that an Mercedes extended warranty cannot be offered on the BS. True? Has anyone purchased an extended warranty for their BS?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
what the hell for ??? The standard warranty is not enough for you ?? You plan on keeping the car that long/driving it that much ??? You seem really caught up in the minor details of the car dude. Either buy it or don't. I would have thought after driving it you would either want it or not and some stupid exteended warranty would be of no concern for anyone with that kind orf money.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Mercedes Extended Warranty

Yes, a Mercedes-Benz extended warranty is available.

JDB
Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I plan on keeping it that long (or hope to) and driving it that much. Seems that for an original owner, most of the stuff that will go bad does go bad within the earlier part of the warranty. Kind of like infant mortality for newborn components. I hadn't considered it, as I wouldn't buy it. AS
Old 03-02-2008, 01:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Extended warranty is available from MB and no need to buy it right away unless you know for a fact you are keeping it more than 4 years.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:11 AM

Why the animosity? It was a simple enough question. Yes, if I get one maybe I do plan on keeping beyond the 4 years standard warranty and then it is a very relevant question. Piece of mind maybe. I'm simply trying to confirm what the dealer told me. I'm looking at a very slightly used one and wanted it to be CPO'd and was told that it can't be CPO'd nor can you get an extended warranty. If you are not going to be helpful with a reply just don't bother to respond.

To the others that did reply with the info I was looking for, thank you. Odd that they told me it could not be CPO'd.

Originally Posted by LZH
what the hell for ??? The standard warranty is not enough for you ?? You plan on keeping the car that long/driving it that much ??? You seem really caught up in the minor details of the car dude. Either buy it or don't. I would have thought after driving it you would either want it or not and some stupid exteended warranty would be of no concern for anyone with that kind orf money.

Last edited by SteveL; 03-02-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by SteveL
I looked at and drove one today and they told me that an Mercedes extended warranty cannot be offered on the BS. True? Has anyone purchased an extended warranty for their BS?
MB extended warrantee offers you a full refund of its cost if you sell it before it becomes effective. I planed on keeping the car, and even if I don't it's transferable. I like have a warrantee on a 50k motor.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ET550
Extended warranty is available from MB and no need to buy it right away unless you know for a fact you are keeping it more than 4 years.
I checked again today and the CPO'd manager is saying that the SLR and CLK BS cannot have an extended warranty. Did anyone get one or know for 100% sure. I'll probably lease it and then if I am going to keep it after the lease, I'll extend the warranty.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I checked again today and the CPO'd manager is saying that the SLR and CLK BS cannot have an extended warranty. Did anyone get one or know for 100% sure. I'll probably lease it and then if I am going to keep it after the lease, I'll extend the warranty.
I have an extended warrantee on my Black. It does state California on the title page. It starts after the new vehicle warranty expires and is for 36 months or 100,000 miles.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
MB extended warrantee offers you a full refund of its cost if you sell it before it becomes effective. I planed on keeping the car, and even if I don't it's transferable. I like have a warrantee on a 50k motor.
Jim,

I'd love to know how to get the extended warranty refund.
Had the extended on the 2005 E55K I traded for the Black.

Jim
Old 03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MACHC5
Jim,

I'd love to know how to get the extended warranty refund.
Had the extended on the 2005 E55K I traded for the Black.

Jim
JIM
Quoting from my warranty page 4 "you may cancel this Agreement and receive a pro-rated refund, based on the elapsed time from the ELW start date.....yada yada yada.. pay twenty five dollars cancelation fee. But you can't get it back if you transfered it to another person or entity.
I sold my ML55 and forgot I had the warrantee.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I have an extended warrantee on my Black. It does state California on the title page. It starts after the new vehicle warranty expires and is for 36 months or 100,000 miles.
Thanks Jim. That helped a lot. I called the sales guy back and he is getting conflicting information which we'll clear up this week. Knowing that you did it means that it can be done and it helps me make him try harder. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
I plan on keeping it that long (or hope to) and driving it that much. Seems that for an original owner, most of the stuff that will go bad does go bad within the earlier part of the warranty. Kind of like infant mortality for newborn components. I hadn't considered it, as I wouldn't buy it. AS
Good on you, Alex. I drive my cars to the tire threads too. That's what they're for. My SUV will just gather dust while my #1 car gets all the drive time.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
My goal is somewhat complicated by the absence of 19" snow tires, and an inability to fit 18" rims on our cars (a steering knuckle fails to clear by about 1/4")
Took my car out on the Bridgestones when we caught a small break in the snow. The good news is they work well in cold weather, tolerable in cold with wet roads. I tmight just be the lay off, but the car felt noticibly stronger in the 28 degree temp of the day. The bad news is I almost got stuck in my drive when the car wouldn't climb a one inch snow berm. It took a running start, and a slightly sideways slide through the garage door. AS
Old 03-03-2008, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by LZH
..........whats wrong with the guy trying to get extended warranty on his ride? I don't get your point. Your comment about money makes even less sense. You should seriously re-think why you bought this car. While the CLK BS is somewhat expensive at $130K, it is not exactly a sign of great wealth since it is significantly less expensive than many other cars. Further, the truly wealthy tend to know how to protect their wealth and are probably more likely to appreciate the the usefulness of a an extended warranty on such a vehicle.

Ted
Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........whats wrong with the guy trying to get extended warranty on his ride? I don't get your point. Your comment about money makes even less sense. You should seriously re-think why you bought this car. While the CLK BS is somewhat expensive at $130K, it is not exactly a sign of great wealth since it is significantly less expensive than many other cars. Further, the truly wealthy tend to know how to protect their wealth and are probably more likely to appreciate the the usefulness of a an extended warranty on such a vehicle.

Ted
My point is that all he has to say about the black series are complaints about the gaps on the rocker panels and how can he get an extended warranty. He says he drove it, but had nothing to say about that, likes dislikes etc...personally I think he's a poser. And I have no clue what planet you live on but 99% of the population cannot afford a $130,000 car. Furthermore, and even less intelligent, is the fact that you infer that the black series is a moderatly priced vehicle "since it is significantly less expensive than many other cars."
Please dude...And my comment about having enough money to be able to afford a black series....well most people with enough disposable income to buy a black series don't use it as their daily driver and would most likely never put enough mileage on it to justify buying an extended warranty....
Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 PM

Without trying to take sides here, I agree there is nothing wrong with asking about an extended warranty, but I too find it strange that SteveL started out in another thread saying how the BS was not worth the premium over a regular BS but a CLK-DTM at 3 times the price was a special car, and now after supposedly driving the car, has not said one thing about being wrong or how great the car drove, only that there are gaps in the rocker panels.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:47 AM

I'm simply going through the process of whether I'll replace my RS4 with a BS. I still question whether the car is worth 138k and that is why I am looking at a low mileage used one that is $20K less. I still love my RS4 and it is not so easy to just give it up without some thought.

The comments about the rocker panel were before I drove the car and just to know if the new car I was looking at had an issue that I would need to get fixed before delivery if I decided to buy one.

Yes, I think the CLK DTM is worth the money. It is a collector car. If there were 100 of them available in the US that you could drive on the street, clearly my opinion would different. However, there are only 5 or 6. With 350 US cars and 500 to 700 BS cars, it is much less of a collector car than the DTM.

The warranty question isn't so much for the miles as it is for the years. I tend to keep cars for a long time and this car will be very expensive to fix out of warranty. Knowing I can get a 7 year warranty simply helps the decision process.

I did drive the used BS I looked at this past weekend. The car is very cool. At just 350 in the US, it is also very exclusive which is also a plus. I'm a big F1 fan and the fact the it is based on the F1 safety car is a big plus. It sounds awesome, looks great, is very quick, and very tight. Starting it is amazing. On a test drive I'm not going to drift it on a Saturday on busy public streets so it is difficult to say how it handled but I could easily tell that it is noticeably tighter than the RS4. I'm more inclined to buy the used one I found than ever before but am still trying to decide. It is not a matter of being able to afford the car but unlike potentially others here, I have to give it some serious thought. If I had $50M, then I wouldn't give a s*** and I'd just buy one because $138K wouldn't mean too much. However, unfortunately, I don't have $50M so I need to think about it.

The car would be more impressive if I was coming from slower cars but as I said, I have an RS4 which is more powerful than most and handles pretty well itself. I also have a heavily modified SLK32, pulley, ecu, cams, headers, exhaust, suspension, improved cooling, LSD, brakes, and several other changes. The car is at 350 whp and is currently in LA with Vadim from VRP getting a larger set of headers built and intake and more tuning. We are trying to get it into the 370s whp on a 3200 lbs car so at least in a straight line it will hang with a BS for a while.... not jcart's.

It would be great if the BS was 400-500lbs lighter. It would make it all the more impressive. It is as heavy as my RS4 which has 4 doors, a back seat, and AWD. AWD normally adds about 300 lbs all by itself.

There is also the fact I already have a 2 seater. I have way too much emotionally invested into the SLK to give it up, not to mention money to give it up.

Getting called a poser from a guy who doesn't even know how to search for a black series on autotrader is laughable. Think what you want.

For the guys here like Jim who have been helpful, thanks very much for your patience.

Last edited by SteveL; 03-04-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 AM
LZH
Banned

Getting called a poser from a guy who doesn't even know how to search for a black series on autotrader is laughable. Think what you want.
I will [think what I want] while you're driving around in your B!tchmobile SLK. Sorry dude, but sitting there questioning and comparing the BS to your RS4 only proves you need to be buying something else. If you were not sold after driving it, then an extended warranty will not be the deal breaker.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Since there are only a few hundred of us who are potential or current owners, it's reasonably important to accept an array of opinions. Personally, I clearly see Steve's point. There are a lot of people who don't mind spending money, but hate wasting it.
I do think that if one buys a BS, you do need to anticipate significant depreciation, particularly over the first several years. Therefore, people who were price-constrained will jump in as prices decline in the secondary market.
To those people, I say, "Welcome, and congratulations on your bargain".

I also have no criticism of those who have greater and lesser cars in the stable. If you saw me on a summer evening going to the movies in a tiptronic Boxster, I might be subject to the same denigration, until you saw me in my 570 hp Kurtis, which is definitely not a *****mobile.

Overall, I think the consumer mags find that most people who aquire extended warranties actually spend more money on the coverage then they save on repairs. I guess if you view it as short term catastrophic insurance, it makes sense. But sooner or later the warranty lapses, and then you are left with the decision to bail or stick it out. When your 6 year old Porsche needs an ignition switch 2 months before the extended waranty lapses, I guess you save $600. But do you dump the car at that time because worse may happen 61 days from now?

For a replaceable car like the Porsche, I might. But for one that is unique, I probably would not. Just my 2 cents. AS
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by LZH
I will [think what I want] while you're driving around in your B!tchmobile SLK. Sorry dude, but sitting there questioning and comparing the BS to your RS4 only proves you need to be buying something else. If you were not sold after driving it, then an extended warranty will not be the deal breaker.
I bow to your arrogant supremacy. You are THE MAN! You drive a CLK BS! Your testosterone levels are clearly above that of an average man. Do you struggle getting in and out of your BS with that enormous head? It just goes to show that some people have money but that doesn't mean they have any class.

Last edited by SteveL; 03-04-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:00 PM

I'm simply going through the process of whether I'll replace my RS4 with a BS. I still question whether the car is worth 138k and that is why I am looking at a low mileage used one that is $20K less. I still love my RS4 and it is not so easy to just give it up without some thought.

The comments about the rocker panel were before I drove the car and just to know if the new car I was looking at had an issue that I would need to get fixed before delivery if I decided to buy one.

Yes, I think the CLK DTM is worth the money. It is a collector car. If there were 100 of them available in the US that you could drive on the street, clearly my opinion would different. However, there are only 5 or 6. With 350 US cars and 500 to 700 BS cars, it is much less of a collector car than the DTM.

The warranty question isn't so much for the miles as it is for the years. I tend to keep cars for a long time and this car will be very expensive to fix out of warranty. Knowing I can get a 7 year warranty simply helps the decision process.

I did drive the used BS I looked at this past weekend. The car is very cool. At just 350 in the US, it is also very exclusive which is also a plus. I'm a big F1 fan and the fact the it is based on the F1 safety car is a big plus. It sounds awesome, looks great, is very quick, and very tight. Starting it is amazing. On a test drive I'm not going to drift it on a Saturday on busy public streets so it is difficult to say how it handled but I could easily tell that it is noticeably tighter than the RS4. I'm more inclined to buy the used one I found than ever before but am still trying to decide. It is not a matter of being able to afford the car but unlike potentially others here, I have to give it some serious thought. If I had $50M, then I wouldn't give a s*** and I'd just buy one because $138K wouldn't mean too much. However, unfortunately, I don't have $50M so I need to think about it.

The car would be more impressive if I was coming from slower cars but as I said, I have an RS4 which is more powerful than most and handles pretty well itself. I also have a heavily modified SLK32, pulley, ecu, cams, headers, exhaust, suspension, improved cooling, LSD, brakes, and several other changes. The car is at 350 whp and is currently in LA with Vadim from VRP getting a larger set of headers built and intake and more tuning. We are trying to get it into the 370s whp on a 3200 lbs car so at least in a straight line it will hang with a BS for a while.... not jcart's.

It would be great if the BS was 400-500lbs lighter. It would make it all the more impressive. It is as heavy as my RS4 which has 4 doors, a back seat, and AWD. AWD normally adds about 300 lbs all by itself.

There is also the fact I already have a 2 seater. I have way too much emotionally invested into the SLK to give it up, not to mention money to give it up.

For the guys here like Jim who have been helpful, thanks very much for your patience.
Deciding whether to replace your RS4 with the BS will undoutedly need to be based more on your ultimate use of the car (do you need AWD and back seats) rather than relative performance. I was replacing another 2 seater high performance car so it was more of an apples to apples decision. Personally I would stop throwing money into the SLK32 for minimal additional hp gains and either sell that (although I understand the return will be alot less than the RS4) or put the savings toward the BS.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ET550
Deciding whether to replace your RS4 with the BS will undoutedly need to be based more on your ultimate use of the car (do you need AWD and back seats) rather than relative performance. I was replacing another 2 seater high performance car so it was more of an apples to apples decision. Personally I would stop throwing money into the SLK32 for minimal additional hp gains and either sell that (although I understand the return will be alot less than the RS4) or put the savings toward the BS.
Sound advice. Yes, replacing the SLK32 would be the right thing to do and probably the best thing and lately I have been giving it some serious thought. But I'd long decided to keep the car indefinitely and that's why I spend additional money on it. It is very much a project car. In 2001 it was the only hard top convert with some serious power.

The AWD isn't as important as the back seats or four doors. We are thinking about starting a family and having two 2-seaters is more difficult to justify. We also have a Touareg and a C43 but maintenance and cleaning of 4 cars is a bit of a pain so we had been thinking about going down to 3 cars. If I get the BS, then we'll stick with 4. As you pointed out, performance difference isn't the deciding factor.

Last edited by SteveL; 03-04-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
'08 CLK Black, '08 SL65, '17 SL65, '07 SL55, '20 E63S Wagon, '14 GL450
I have an ’05 S4, which I like, but it’s my snow car now. I can assure you that I click on weather reports about 14 times more since I got the BS… because I just can’t wait to get back into it. BTW, I bought the extended warranty, and I’m glad I did. At this point I don’t see myself ever getting rid of the BS – I like it too much.

Here’s my humble recommendation: buy it
Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 PM
LZH
Banned

As you pointed out, performance difference isn't the deciding factor.
So if that is true, then why would you be considering a car that is made for one thing - performance ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can you get an extended warranty on a BS?