CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

520 vs 500 hp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Jim,
I've run BBS magnesium wheels that where substantially less than previous set ups and haven't experienced anything near that kind of gain and I've had similar weight savings. My guess it is a lot of little things that have added up to make the difference. We don't know all the details of JRcarts car. I think there's more to this story then we've been told.

Jimmy
Jim,

I think you drove down and saw the car at Evosport, you saw everything. You know the only thing that has not been mentioned here are the doors. No nitrious, no blower or turbos. Yes, the wheels where good for 25-30 HP, the headers and cat delete gave the car the biggest gain. Remember, I live in Illinois and the state is very lax in it's emmissions testing, no cats here on performance cars is the norm. The heads were not removed, not throttle body mods. Believe me, I would let you all know, why would I post 90% of my mods and leave one thing out. In the fall I am shipping the car back for round 2, which will include cams, head works and major intake mods, the car is being choked of oxygen.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by jrcart
Jim,

I think you drove down and saw the car at Evosport, you saw everything. You know the only thing that has not been mentioned here are the doors. No nitrious, no blower or turbos. Yes, the wheels where good for 25-30 HP, the headers and cat delete gave the car the biggest gain. Remember, I live in Illinois and the state is very lax in it's emmissions testing, no cats here on performance cars is the norm. The heads were not removed, not throttle body mods. Believe me, I would let you all know, why would I post 90% of my mods and leave one thing out. In the fall I am shipping the car back for round 2, which will include cams, head works and major intake mods, the car is being choked of oxygen.
I will agree that you lifted your skirt and showed us everything that could be seen. The devil is in the details.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
That happened with the E46 M3 (333bhp US vs 339bhp Euro) but the literature says the CLK BS are the same both sides of the pond.
I always thought that U.S. cars produce slightly less hp than their Euro counterparts because of the strict emission regulations, so we get charcoal filters and more aggressive catalyic converters, etc....
Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Weather permitting I should have some times slips and video posted on here a week from this Saturday or Sunday. Byron Dragway (Byron, IL) is holding open test & tunes days on Both the 5th and 6th of April. It should still be nice and cool with low humididty this early in the season. Now we will be able to gauge what real world gains we have made with my car.