CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Terrible Depreciation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008 | 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Hope you'll consider heading our way for the big AMG Meet this year (final date hasn't been set yet, but the last couple have been in fall). If not for that, perhaps for one of the track days that always seem to materialize quickly in our neck of the woods.
Old 04-16-2008 | 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
The CLK DTM was not out in the 80's or 90's, therefore would not be listed at what I was looking at.
I realized that after I posted, so I edited my message accordingly.

Was the list for "classics likely to see appreciation" for investment-type cars?
Old 04-16-2008 | 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
Originally Posted by JamE55
HOI?
MBLN, I wnet by there today and I did not see it..my guy was gonna let me drive it with him on sat...
Old 04-17-2008 | 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Vader13
MBLN, I wnet by there today and I did not see it..my guy was gonna let me drive it with him on sat...
Maybe they sold it? Is there a markup on that car and if so how much?
Old 04-19-2008 | 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JamE55
Maybe they sold it? Is there a markup on that car and if so how much?
139 grand...
I did not drive it cause I'm taking care of a sick person all day
Old 04-20-2008 | 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
You guys are talking about cars on the "lists", which is interesting (jcart's post as example).

What I observe from the Barret Jackson/Mecum type (sp?) auctions is that the demographic for high-return pricing is driven by the Boomers looking for the 1960-70 era muscle cars that they wanted or had as youngsters, and they are now in the position to buy what they knew as youngsters (assuming fully restored or pristine originals). So the 1970 Chevelle brings in 80k, even though it has no air, no fancy electronics, etc etc.

So CLK Black, for example, doesn't exist in the consciousness of the money-ed collector (too new). I'd imagine that if you garaged your blacks for a number of years, the same might be true. But not now.
Old 04-25-2008 | 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
I just spent that last hour researching "newer" collectible cars from the 80' and 90's. Sorry to break to you guys but there are no MB's on any of the lists I saw on numerous sites. Here are a few of what I did find. Several Ferarri's, Testarossa, F40, F50, BB, the Lambo Countach, Buick Grand National and GNX, Pontiac Trans AM GTA Turbo, Corvette ZR1, GMC Syclone and Typhoon trucks, Dodge Viper R/T10, even the lame duck Alfa Romeo Spyder was on the list...the BMW M3 Ultra Light made the list, No Mercedes, not even the AMG Hammer, but I did see the Hummer H1 on a few lists. Several of these cars are less than 20 years old and it stated some of them are already fetching more than their sticker prices when they were new with the Buick GNX leading the way, mint models are going for $75,000 plus at auctions one site stated.

Gosh, look at all those american cars that we love to hate on the list. Ponder that.

The fact that the BMW M3 UL made a couple lists may be a good sign for the Black Series. That M3 is only about 11 years old, but they were very rare and a lot of them got trashed on race tracks.
+1, I very easily could see the CLK63BS being similiar to the 1995 E36 M3 LTW in terms of longer-term stability of value and desirability
Old 04-26-2008 | 06:01 AM

W209 CLK 55 AMG
If you think the Black Series is expensive, come over to Britain and buy one for only around 95,000 GBP, yes almost $200,000. However I think they are selling slowly. I would like a DTM when the prices become more realistic>
Old 06-08-2008 | 09:41 AM

14 SLS Black Series, 09 SL65 AMG Black Series, 15 G63 AMG, 15 Ferrari Speciale, 16 GTR Nismo
i hate to say it but that depreciation that actually sounds pretty good. i bought mine at msrp 6 months ago. i got offerred $90K at a bentley dealership last week!!! $50K lose in six months. needless to say...i'm keeping my black for awhile longer...
Old 06-08-2008 | 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by XRAYAMG
... i bought mine at msrp 6 months ago. i got offerred $90K at a bentley dealership last week!!! $50K lose in six months. ...
What made you consider trading it?
Wanderlust or an issue specific to the car?
Old 06-08-2008 | 11:17 AM

CLK63 BS AUDI S5 AUDI Q7 4.2 SLine C230 Sport 2010 ML 350
Originally Posted by XRAYAMG
i hate to say it but that depreciation that actually sounds pretty good. i bought mine at msrp 6 months ago. i got offerred $90K at a bentley dealership last week!!! $50K lose in six months. needless to say...i'm keeping my black for awhile longer...

I would paraphrase some other astute scholars of the depreciation market but it seems to be a very sensitive topic on this board. If I was allowed to express surprise over the 50k loss in 6 months without being attacked - I would
probably be surprised and shocked but since I'm not - that doesn't surprise me at all.
I'll bet if you spend the rest of your day researching the resale values of other cars you will find that - that is well within reason. So I think you should go back to the Bentley dealer and tell him you'll take 75 and call it a day.
Old 06-08-2008 | 08:00 PM

2005 Alabaster White C180k sports pack, 1999 A160 Avantgarde
Just found out the rrp (sticker) price for the CLK63 AMG Black here in Australia...."The CLK 63 AMG Black Series has a RRP of $299.000*"

*excludes dealer delivery and on road costs!!

*Posssibly adding another $40,000 - $50,000 to the drive away price.

You REALLY do get it good in the states!! Enjoy!

btw. this price is before the newly elected Rudd labor Govt. increased the luxury car tax. Guessing you wouldn't have much change out of $380,000 now.

Customer deliveries of the CLK63 AMG Black series are due to commence in Australia late in the first quarter of 2008.
Old 07-07-2008 | 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
I drove a BS today. Wild ride. Crazy thing is the 08s that are only a few months old with 1500 miles are selling for less than $110k. What happened to the rarity factor?
Old 07-07-2008 | 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
I drove a BS today. Wild ride. Crazy thing is the 08s that are only a few months old with 1500 miles are selling for less than $110k. What happened to the rarity factor?
Only a few months old??? Where have you been living? I've had mine for over 10 months. 2009's from every manufacturer are hitting the road every day, $110,000 for a 1 year old used car that stickered for $139,000, I don't see the problem with that. Everyone is getting caught up with losing $30K-$50K, look at the percentages, not the dollar amount. Here's a better idea, just prentend it's a Kia and drop a zero off the figure. Pretend you just boight a $13,900 Kia Spectra, you drove it off the lot and then parked it in your garage for 6-10 months and then returned to the delaership to trade it in. What do you think they are going to give you for a trade? you would be lucky to see $9,500 for it. Same percentage loss as a BS only one of them cost you $4,500 to own and the other cost you $45,000. Here's a news flash for those of you living in automobile fantasy land, AMG's are amongst the worst depreciating cars sold in North America. If you are looking for an investment buy some Exxon stock not an AMG!

One more thing, if you have to even think or worry about how much this car is going to depreciate, you probably can't afford one in the first place.
Old 07-07-2008 | 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything over 100K new is gonna burn you in the but and people crying about do not need to enter this market.
I lost my *** on my GT3 but I had a HELLOVAFUN time doing it.
The market right now is F*&KEd for almost anything. I had a Million 8 prop just sell for 999.999 Does that mean it's only worth that no?
So if you have enough cap right now to spend the kind of money it takes on a BS good for you.
In a year or so I will be happy to take a BS
for 50 under..and if I can get my *** out of the home market.
Old 07-07-2008 | 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
...One more thing, if you have to even think or worry about how much this car is going to depreciate, you probably can't afford one in the first place.
When buying new cars at the $100K+ level, depreciation should be the last thing on the buyer's mind. Besides, depreciation is only "realized" when one tries to sell the car, right? And why buy the CLK63 BS only to sell a few months later for less $$$? Drive the darn thing!
Old 07-07-2008 | 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Only a few months old??? Where have you been living? I've had mine for over 10 months. 2009's from every manufacturer are hitting the road every day, $110,000 for a 1 year old used car that stickered for $139,000, I don't see the problem with that. Everyone is getting caught up with losing $30K-$50K, look at the percentages, not the dollar amount. Here's a better idea, just prentend it's a Kia and drop a zero off the figure. Pretend you just boight a $13,900 Kia Spectra, you drove it off the lot and then parked it in your garage for 6-10 months and then returned to the delaership to trade it in. What do you think they are going to give you for a trade? you would be lucky to see $9,500 for it. Same percentage loss as a BS only one of them cost you $4,500 to own and the other cost you $45,000. Here's a news flash for those of you living in automobile fantasy land, AMG's are amongst the worst depreciating cars sold in North America. If you are looking for an investment buy some Exxon stock not an AMG!

One more thing, if you have to even think or worry about how much this car is going to depreciate, you probably can't afford one in the first place.
I'm well aware of AMG depreciation considering I'm on my 4th one looking for my 5th. I just get a chuckle out of everyone who thought the BS was going to be different because it was limited production.
Old 07-07-2008 | 11:31 PM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
I'm well aware of AMG depreciation considering I'm on my 4th one looking for my 5th. I just get a chuckle out of everyone who thought the BS was going to be different because it was limited production.
It may well be different many years down the road, just not today. Most valuable "classic" cars today sold for crap for many years after their initial introduction. The limited production of the BS will certainly not hurt its value down the road. How much it helps is anybody's guess. I don't think any comparable cars in its price range will be doing any better resale wise years down the road though.
Old 07-08-2008 | 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
///

all cars depreciate.
Anything new that is not NEW anymore depriciates.Bottom Line.
Just some of the Cars i looked at in the past few days.

06 AUDI S4 loaded low miles 32,000$
04 MBZ E55 60k miles 31,000$
06 BMW M5 59.000$
04 E500 Loaded 23,900
03 E500 20,000$
04 SL 600 39,900$

Amazing!Talk about depreciation factor.
Old 07-08-2008 | 12:17 PM

U and I have had our disagreements in the past and I took the high road (VRY VRY UNLIKE ME) and even deleted nasty posts - so I would appreciate when you respond keep that in mind. I did that to keep the peace here cause we are a small group and no reason to attack each other based on opinions anyway....
While ive always agreed ab the depreciation factor i dont understand ur logic on the whole - "U prob. can't afford one if".... thing.
It is really an obnoxious statement. You have no idea who can afford what here and just because someone is conscious ab losing a **** load of money for no good reason doesnt mean that they cant afford something. We can all sit here at our computers and be anyone we want. Liars, truth tellers, aholes, super rich, humble whatever.
Nobody "likes" to lose money and why shouldnt depreciation be a factor in a purchase. Should everyone just go throwing money around devil may care?
Nobody here has any idea of the net worth of anyone else or how much money we have or how we do the things we do.
I could be a major drug dealer with tons of cash and I cant spend it or I could be a salaried guy who makes a good living or I could be a rich kid whos dad handed him the family business. Whatever it is - u don't know.
I laugh at measuring net worth by cars - thats absurd. Anyone can get a car who can afford a payment - Payment is 1500 - okay im 25 live at home with Mom and every penny I make goes to car (not me Btw) or I bght a stolen recovery for pennies or a salvage title or at an auction.
Who knows? Its all relative - I have no idea if you can afford a Carrera GT or a Bugati or whatever - but should I look at your cars and say you obv. can't afford one because you have a BS M3 Caddy Jeep Motorcycles etc. No that would be unfair cause I dont know - you could be stupid wealthy and I could be an idiot for saying that to you.
We all know the guy who has tons of money or a family fortune who is old school or grew up poor and hoardes all his money and is cheap as hell - turns the heat down in the winter and the a/c off in the summer.
looks at your stuff and says omg thats so expensive and you know he has 10x more money than u . That guy would never buy an AMG ever.
Our last exchange on this matter led to the assumption that if I cant pay then I cant play or something to that effect. But then I revealed my plus 50 k in aftermarket (at this point) and well maybe jus maybe i can play. So here I am a guy who can afford the car and can afford to play and i still hate the fact that I would take a beating if I sold tomorrow.
Does that mean Im not gonna dump more money in to it - Hell No!
a little side note - I have been makin money ever since i was 21 - I was making over 100k livin in NYC 18 yrs ago. By 29 I had made my first mil. and I mean that year. I had an absurd lifestyle and a ridiculous amount of fun - sex drugs cars n house music !!! What a jackass.
The next six years were good ones and then the bad ones - some legal trouble - bad bus. decisions - a divorce (lst 2 yrs) and god I wish I had cared ab spending all that money and depreciation. Reinventing urself in your late 30's SUCKS - and although Im not gonna qualify for welfare anytime soon - my wings are def. clipped. So I for one care ab depreciation and wish I cared a whole lot more before. So maybe you should care ab losing money after all.
Thats one to grow on
Old 07-08-2008 | 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I did not try to offend you or anyone else on this thread, I just stated what I thought was the obvious...and several other that posted after me agreed and made similar comments about the topic at hand. The simple truth of the matter is that if someone has to worry about how much their LUXURY car, motorcycle, boat or plane is going to depreciate, thay really can't afford it to begin with, and I will stand by that statement. My financial situation is not the topic here, but for the record I can go out and write a check for ANY production car made today...yes, even a Veyron. I of all people understand depreciation. I took my brand new $140,000 BS, shipped it to Evosport and dropped another $50,000 into it and I'm not done with it yet. I will never see any of that $50k, but then again I will probably never get rid of this car either. I own a lot more vehicles than are on my profile and they are ALL heavily modded and cutomized. I own a motorcycle that is worth nearly as much as my Black Series. I am sincerely sorry to hear you have fallen on tough times, I wish you the best...people who are succesful once can and always do rebound, it's a characteristic of succesful people. We don't like failure. That being said, you of all people should be jumping for joy about the depreciation of the BS, let someone else take the big hit and then you reap the benefit, you pay 75% of what the first guy did but still get to enjoy 100% of the fun.

Regards,
Old 07-08-2008 | 02:46 PM

Well I did not try to offend you or anyone else on this thread, I just stated what I thought was the obvious...and several other that posted after me agreed and made similar comments about the topic at hand. The simple truth of the matter is that if someone has to worry about how much their LUXURY car, motorcycle, boat or plane is going to depreciate, thay really can't afford it to begin with, and I will stand by that statement. My financial situation is not the topic here, but for the record I can go out and write a check for ANY production car made today...yes, even a Veyron. I of all people understand depreciation. I took my brand new $140,000 BS, shipped it to Evosport and dropped another $50,000 into it and I'm not done with it yet. I will never see any of that $50k, but then again I will probably never get rid of this car either. I own a lot more vehicles than are on my profile and they are ALL heavily modded and cutomized. I own a motorcycle that is worth nearly as much as my Black Series. I am sincerely sorry to hear you have fallen on tough times, I wish you the best...people who are succesful once can and always do rebound, it's a characteristic of succesful people. We don't like failure. That being said, you of all people should be jumping for joy about the depreciation of the BS, let someone else take the big hit and then you reap the benefit, you pay 75% of what the first guy did but still get to enjoy 100% of the fun.

Regards,
Well thank you and thanks for not jumpin all over me.
Unfortunately for me Im the one who bought the BS first and Im gonna take the hit. Maybe I care now because as of today I have less than 500 miles on it - its in a shop still waiting for parts and I havent driven it in 21/2 mos. and Ive had it since December.
But thats a whole other story.
I def. cannot write a check for a Veyron - CONGRATS BTW NICE
why not something retarded then?
Im hardly destitute i make a lil less than half of what I used to. Which is still more than ok.
But I will get back there and im on it hard.
Oh - better get that check book out Jr I'm gunnin for your top CLK spot - well thats if it ever gets out of the shop. Unfortunately now I know I cant outspend you -
Old 07-08-2008 | 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JT55
Unfortunately for me Im the one who bought the BS first and Im gonna take the hit. Maybe I care now because as of today I have less than 500 miles on it - its in a shop still waiting for parts and I havent driven it in 21/2 mos. and Ive had it since December.
Im hardly destitute i make a lil less than half of what I used to. Which is still more than ok.
Oh - better get that check book out Jr I'm gunnin for your top CLK spot - well thats if it ever gets out of the shop. Unfortunately now I know I cant outspend you -
I was under the impression that you just purchased a used BS, my mistake. Hurry up and get your mods done, I'm planning on driving my motorhome and trailering my BS to the EAST vs WEST drag meet out at MIR in early November. It would be nice to have another modded BS out there.

What my BS is not retarded enough? When I take delivery of my new ZR1 in about 7 weeks and ship it off to Lingenfelter, that is gonna be retarded! About 1000+ HP worth of retarded

Last edited by jrcart; 07-08-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2008 | 04:30 PM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by JT55
Wow I enjoyed reading the post from both JT55 and JRcart. Both of you made some valid points. Trying not to lean too far right or left I would like to add that the bottom line is are you HAPPY WITH YOUR PURCHASE!! Does it perform as well as you expected? Did you go broke trying to pay for it? and lastly, it's money isn't this why you work so dam hard, so that you can enjoy it? I certainly hope so. Having concerns about the depreciation value of your car doesn't necessarily mean you can't afford it it just means it was a waaaay over priced car to begin with then again, we all knew before hand that these cars aren't worth what they're selling for right? riiiight. Not once did I ever think about the depreciation value of my car until I started having all these issues with it but that's another story. I guess it all comes down to where you place value. I can appreciate the style, the power, the luxuries and rich tradition of MB and AMG. However, it's reliability sucks a$$. Rich or not these cars have waaaay too many reliability issues that cost a fortune to repair and for that reason I would sell it but all in all I'm having fun learning more and more about my AMG! These issues will not break the bank by any stretch but it is a bit frustrating at times.
Old 07-08-2008 | 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MARTYMAR
Wow I enjoyed reading the post from both JT55 and JRcart. Both of you made some valid points. Trying not to lean too far right or left I would like to add that the bottom line is are you HAPPY WITH YOUR PURCHASE!! Does it perform as well as you expected? Did you go broke trying to pay for it? and lastly, it's money isn't this why you work so dam hard, so that you can enjoy it? I certainly hope so. Having concerns about the depreciation value of your car doesn't necessarily mean you can't afford it it just means it was a waaaay over priced car to begin with then again, we all knew before hand that these cars aren't worth what they're selling for right? riiiight. Not once did I ever think about the depreciation value of my car until I started having all these issues with it but that's another story. I guess it all comes down to where you place value. I can appreciate the style, the power, the luxuries and rich tradition of MB and AMG. However, it's reliability sucks a$$. Rich or not these cars have waaaay too many reliability issues that cost a fortune to repair and for that reason I would sell it but all in all I'm having fun learning more and more about my AMG! These issues will not break the bank by any stretch but it is a bit frustrating at times.
Yes, all cars are over priced, think of it this way, my 3800 pound BS has about the same material build up of that of a 3800 pound $30,000 Chevy Impala SS. Steel, aluminum, composites, plastics and leather. 8 cylinders, a crank, two heads not much of a difference if you really think about it. I bet if you were to dis-assemble both cars and make piles of each material they would come out suprising close. In addition to materials I bet the hours required to produce and build each car are near equal as well (except maybe the hand built AMG engines) so what makes the BS worth $100,000 more???? R & D? Na, The BS is really not that advanced if you think about it. I bet there is $70,000 worth of fluff built into the BS, but I was still first in line with a check book in hand to fall for it hook line and sinker.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Terrible Depreciation