CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Need help with fault codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008 | 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Need help with fault codes

I was at a track day and the esp came on and car went into limp mode.

I reset it and turned off the esp and the car shut down again. Car runs fine on the street, I may have reached the level of esp intrusion. I had my tech clear the codes, but becasue MB doesn't publish the codes for two years I need to find out what set off. My dealer wants me to bring it in and all I want to know is what they are.

The codes were:
C1510 5510 DTR Control unit (n63/1) fault in Can communications with control unit.

C1024 5024 ECU: fault in Can commnications with control unit.

Any help appreciated.

Jimmy
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Front tire pressure

and check the harness going to the ECU.Something interfered with the controller area networks signals to the ECU and put you into limp mode.Dealer will have to pull out the stored pending codes with the sds machine.You would be best not to clear them next time so they can see the actual faults.
ohlord
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Call Brad or Simon at Evosport, I remember them telling me they sent my car into limp mode several times while they had my car during tuning and debugging. I beleive they have a good relationship with one of the MB dealers or AMG techs down in your neck of the woods. I have not sent my car into limp mode yet (knock on wood), which suprises me since I beat the crap out of it nearly every time I drive it. You might also want to try the Live Q & A forum over at the AMG Private Lounge, maybe someone there can assist you, good luck.
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jrcart
Call Brad or Simon at Evosport, I remember them telling me they sent my car into limp mode several times while they had my car during tuning and debugging. I beleive they have a good relationship with one of the MB dealers or AMG techs down in your neck of the woods. I have not sent my car into limp mode yet (knock on wood), which suprises me since I beat the crap out of it nearly every time I drive it. You might also want to try the Live Q & A forum over at the AMG Private Lounge, maybe someone there can assist you, good luck.
Jim,
Evosport read the codes and they don't know. I was going though turn 8 at about 120+ when the esp light went on then shut down into limp mode.
We then turned off the esp and ran about three more laps and it went into limp mode again.
I have the upgraded pads (no sensors) and springs and a little tune. I don't want to take it to the dealer. Simon thinks I've hit the esp limit. If that's the case the threshold is too low. For now I want to know what the codes are.
Jimmy
Old 07-09-2008 | 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ohlord
and check the harness going to the ECU.Something interfered with the controller area networks signals to the ECU and put you into limp mode.Dealer will have to pull out the stored pending codes with the sds machine.You would be best not to clear them next time so they can see the actual faults.
ohlord
Ok, I here what your saying. The fault codes should tell me the "what". I just need the rosetta stone to determine if I've reached the handling limits of the esp or whether it was a triggered by the reflash of the ecu and the esp didn't like the new program.
Jimmy
Old 07-09-2008 | 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You must have been wheeling the hell out of your car, I have put my car through things that should have not only put her into limp mode but probably should have blown the motor as well. It makes me wonder if you don't have a problem somewhere else that is triggering the limp home mode. The fact that you have seen the problem with both the ESP on and off tells me that it probably has nothing to do with the ESP limiter.

I will call my AMG tech at my dealership this moring, he is very "tuner friendly" and has watched the build up of my car from day one so he should be able to help us out. I will PM you any answers they give me.
Old 07-09-2008 | 01:40 PM

CLK Black
Weren't you one of the guys that picked their cars up at AMG in Germany?

Did you have any trouble with the cars when you all ran them in the Masters program? If memory serves me right it was like 10 Black Series right?

Seems like your problems started after your ECU flash. This is exactly what scares me so much about tuning my C63.

All of these systems seem to be inter-related. DId you ever have a problem with limp mode before yoru ECU tune?
Old 07-09-2008 | 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG Dictator

Did you have any trouble with the cars when you all ran them in the Masters program? If memory serves me right it was like 10 Black Series right?

Seems like your problems started after your ECU flash. This is exactly what scares me so much about tuning my C63.

All of these systems seem to be inter-related. DId you ever have a problem with limp mode before yoru ECU tune?
My car has the same ECU tune as his, done by Powerchip and Evosport and I have not had any issues with mine and have logged over 2500 miles of street driving, several hundred miles on road courses and 3 afternoons at the drag strip since the ECU tune was completed. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the ECU tuning.

As luck would have it my AMG tech is off today, I spoke with him on the phone and says he can research the codes first thing tomorrow moring when he get into work.
Old 07-09-2008 | 02:39 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
You must have been wheeling the hell out of your car.
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Jim,
Evosport read the codes and they don't know. I was going though turn 8 at about 120+ when the esp light went on then shut down into limp mode.
Jimmy

That's DAMN fast in 8. As a point of reference, I did the same speed there in mine when I was out there and had no problems with the ESP. It was however, all over the place and pretty hairy with the car in stock form. I could tell there was more to be had with some suspension changes. Good luck and keep us posted, Jimmy.
Old 07-09-2008 | 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You must have been wheeling the hell out of your car, I have put my car through things that should have not only put her into limp mode but probably should have blown the motor as well. It makes me wonder if you don't have a problem somewhere else that is triggering the limp home mode. The fact that you have seen the problem with both the ESP on and off tells me that it probably has nothing to do with the ESP limiter.

I will call my AMG tech at my dealership this moring, he is very "tuner friendly" and has watched the build up of my car from day one so he should be able to help us out. I will PM you any answers they give me.
Thanks Jim. FWIW the spring change did wonders for the car and Simon gave us some good shock settings but it's about at the max for mechanical grip with the currant tires and wheels. I could go faster but I'd need a big f***ing wing. I have to say the car was pretty easy to drive compared to the many many porsche's I've driven.
Jmmy
Old 07-09-2008 | 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG Dictator

Yes, mine was one of 10, actually seven were delivered in Affalterbach. I ran it in the AMG Masters trophy race against 19 other AMG cars including CLK DTM's. I didn't have any trouble but we were not approaching the speeds we see at Willow Springs high speed corners. I can understand your logic it didn't happen before the tune so it must be the tune.

Please understand that the upgraded springs and additional power is allowing speeds that are faster than the bone stock car. If there is something in the ecu that triggers the esp, will find it. The ecu turen really only changes the speed limiter, fuel, and timing.

I hope with the resources of the internet we can piece together an answer.

Jimmy
Old 07-09-2008 | 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LZH

That's DAMN fast in 8. As a point of reference, I did the same speed there in mine when I was out there and had no problems with the ESP. It was however, all over the place and pretty hairy with the car in stock form. I could tell there was more to be had with some suspension changes. Good luck and keep us posted, Jimmy.
Did you run with the ESP off or on? As I previously posted the spring upgrade made the car very stable so I believe that's an worthwhile change. Also, BS is faster than the GT3's through 8 and in my opinion more stable.
Jimmy
Old 07-09-2008 | 07:33 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Did you run with the ESP off or on? As I previously posted the spring upgrade made the car very stable so I believe that's an worthwhile change. Also, BS is faster than the GT3's through 8 and in my opinion more stable.
Jimmy
I always run with the ESP OFF - it's the first thing I do before putting it in gear - for both street and track. I can imagine how much better the car is with the new springs - like I said, in stock form doing ~120 through 8 was HAIRY and I was probably overdriving the car a bit (read drifting). The day I had my BS out there, we also had one of our 996 GT3 Cup Cars. The Black Series off the showroom floor, bone stock....was faster than the cup car. Not by much, but it was indeed quicker around the big track.
I find it strange that AMG would have built in software code with parameters set so low as to have triggered what you describe with you car. I'm sure the guys in the private lounge would address it....however you know what they will say when they learn of the ECU flash and subsequent limp mode being triggered - all bets are off. I'd say take it back to stock and drop it off at the dealer is your best bet.

Must have been pretty interesting to say the least having the car shut down on you while you were at 10/10ths in 8 - NOT THE PLACE TO LIFT

Last edited by LZH; 07-09-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2008 | 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Jim. FWIW the spring change did wonders for the car and Simon gave us some good shock settings but it's about at the max for mechanical grip with the currant tires and wheels. I could go faster but I'd need a big f***ing wing. I have to say the car was pretty easy to drive compared to the many many porsche's I've driven.
Jmmy
Order the wing I have on my car, it's not too rice or boy racer looking (in my opinion) and it worked wonders for me in high speed sweepers. If you guys look back at some of my first posts long before I was even thinking about having a wing/spoiler developed I said that is the biggest weakness for the BS. I also think that was the post where LZH and I got into a pissing match over if a BS was faster than a GT3...now do you guys believe me? In a few weeks I'm heading up to Brainard International, I'm going to see if I still have the sack to hold it wide open through turn one. Turn one at Brainard is arguably fastest turn on any track in North America.
Old 07-09-2008 | 10:30 PM
LZH
Banned

With almost a mile on the front straight, you will most likely be north of 150mph...I'd say go for it and make sure u have someone with a video camera at the turn...I'd love to see that !! good luck.
Old 07-10-2008 | 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LZH
With almost a mile on the front straight, you will most likely be north of 150mph...I'd say go for it and make sure u have someone with a video camera at the turn...I'd love to see that !! good luck.
I was thinking at least 160 mph through turn one, my M3 has been clocked at 144 in that section, granted it was one of the scariest things I have ever done. You should try it on a motorcycle...knee on the ground at 160mph My first time at that track on a motorcycle as an ametuer racer I was talking to a couple of the pros and they told me the secret to a fast lap is to not only not brake at turn one but only let up for a split second to set suspension and then roll it back on to wide open throttle, I thought they where joking. So I hoped on my pit bike, drove down to turn one and watched, sure enough, nobody was letting off....CRAZY!
Old 07-10-2008 | 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Back on topic;

Jim,

I spoke with my dealership and AMG tech. I sent you a PM on the issue at hand.
Old 07-10-2008 | 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Jim,
We then turned off the esp and ran about three more laps and it went into limp mode again.
I have the upgraded pads (no sensors) and springs and a little tune. I don't want to take it to the dealer. Simon thinks I've hit the esp limit. If that's the case the threshold is too low. For now I want to know what the codes are.
Jimmy
Hey Jim,

If you need info I can go get some at lunch on the codes. I think I am having lunch wiht my shop foreman. Let me know.

I was curious what kind of speeds you were seeing in various corners on the track. I used to do 120+ in 8 and 90-92 just before the apex of 9 in a C32 with more than a few go fast chassis bits. What do you see in the middle of 2? How about the slow point at the top of 4?

I wanted to come out to willow that day you had the event but i was out there the saturday before with open track racing and I could not get a day away from work. Next time you go post up and I would love to come see a BS in action out there.

How was tire wear? how much camber can you dial in up front with the adjustments? Could you get to 3 degrees negative?

Ever kept lap times. I got down to a low 1:35 in the C32 but that only had 415 hp not 507. Those straights really show a cars power.
Old 07-10-2008 | 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Hey Jim,

If you need info I can go get some at lunch on the codes. I think I am having lunch wiht my shop foreman. Let me know.

I was curious what kind of speeds you were seeing in various corners on the track. I used to do 120+ in 8 and 90-92 just before the apex of 9 in a C32 with more than a few go fast chassis bits. What do you see in the middle of 2? How about the slow point at the top of 4?

I wanted to come out to willow that day you had the event but i was out there the saturday before with open track racing and I could not get a day away from work. Next time you go post up and I would love to come see a BS in action out there.

How was tire wear? how much camber can you dial in up front with the adjustments? Could you get to 3 degrees negative?

Ever kept lap times. I got down to a low 1:35 in the C32 but that only had 415 hp not 507. Those straights really show a cars power.
I'll Pm you.
Old 07-28-2008 | 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jim,

Just curious, what ever happened with this situation? Did you or anyone figure out why or what was causing this? Did M-B blacklist your warranty? Feel free to PM me if you do not want to make this public information. I have a vested interest since we both have similar work done to our cars.
Old 07-28-2008 | 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jim,

Just curious, what ever happened with this situation? Did you or anyone figure out why or what was causing this? Did M-B blacklist your warranty? Feel free to PM me if you do not want to make this public information. I have a vested interest since we both have similar work done to our cars.
Jim,
I PM'd you. Evosport has been great to work with and I'm going in next week for the reflash. Seems I'm just such a fast hot shoe the car can't keep up with my talent.
I opted for the most aggressive throttle respnse and the ecu felt I didn't deserve it. It seems in drive by wire, throttle response can interfer with the esp. I'll give a full report on my next track day.

Jimmy