CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Thinking of buying...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 Porsche 911 993, Citroen SM, Citroen 2cv6
Question Thinking of buying...

Ok ok ok.... I went to the Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands in Surrey yesterday, and I do believe I have fallen in love with this exquisite machine...
My main love is classic cars ... I've got a Citroen SM and a 2cv6, but for everyday I drive a 1996 Porsche 911 993 and it's never given me any real problems, but well... I just feel its getting a bit old...

So should I go for it?

My other option is to buy second hand, and despite them all being rather new, I really just don't see the point when your your buying a car such as this. Any suggestions?

Regards,

James
Old 08-15-2008, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
I'd go for it! I'm also extremely temped to buy one. It's such a fine piece of work. Enjoy!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:27 PM

I know.. Is'nt it just beautiful? I was seduced by it as soon as I saw it... That bodykit... What can you say?

I've been reading some reviews and I've just seen Jermemy Clarkson's review of the thing. I think seeing it has put my mind at rest... As soon as I can Im gonna drive up to MB World and place an order...
Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Buy it used... you will find some with very low miles but $15K+ in savings... you could even work a sizable discount near that amount on a new one.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Clarkson's review was very good and hilarious! He got a letter saying the car was dangerous

I was at the dealer looking for a C63 and the CLK BS just caught my eye. Tough decision......
Old 08-15-2008, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fantasm
Buy it used... you will find some with very low miles but $15K+ in savings... you could even work a sizable discount near that amount on a new one.
You should be able to get a hefty discount off a new one. One of the dealers around me has has a BS on their lot for over a month now.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by james2cv
I know.. Is'nt it just beautiful? I was seduced by it as soon as I saw it... That bodykit... What can you say?
I know exactly what you mean. Felt (actually still feel) the same way when I first saw the car. I've said it b/f and it's still true that I cannot wipe the smile off my face whenever I fire the beast up for a drive. What a car!

Go for it!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 PM

Having just gone into my garage to find the SM spewing hydraulic fluid all over the floor I'm almost certain I'm gonna go for it ...

I'll probably be buying brand new though, because I like to feel that when spending that amount of money on such a beautiful machine that its yours and only yours. Or is that just me being weird?

I'm gonna ring up MB World tomoz to book a test drive because at the place I went to the other day, they offer you a package with a driver who thrashes you around their test track for half an hour, and then you've got the rest of the day to just drive it around by yourself, have a play with it on the motorway etc

Anyway I'm off to clean up the pool of c*#@ in the garage now....

Oh the joys of classic cars...
Old 08-15-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by james2cv
Having just gone into my garage to find the SM spewing hydraulic fluid all over the floor I'm almost certain I'm gonna go for it ...

I'll probably be buying brand new though, because I like to feel that when spending that amount of money on such a beautiful machine that its yours and only yours. Or is that just me being weird?

I'm gonna ring up MB World tomoz to book a test drive because at the place I went to the other day, they offer you a package with a driver who thrashes you around their test track for half an hour, and then you've got the rest of the day to just drive it around by yourself, have a play with it on the motorway etc

Anyway I'm off to clean up the pool of c*#@ in the garage now....

Oh the joys of classic cars...
Grats! Don't know about where you live, but here the BS's aren't moving very fast so you should be able to get good deal on a new one.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Did they let you drive it at Brooklands?
They didn't have one when I did their driving day ... must be a year ago.

I'd say buy it used. First there is the legendary AMG depreciation and secondly you pay a totally unreasonable premium on cars over there compared to the US models and third, you should get in the area of 25% off a car that has 1 or 2k miles.

If you combine those things, it makes used a fantastic deal ... unless the money just doesn't matter.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:00 PM

I rang them up earlier and they do have a CLK BS in their showroom, but for "serious customers only" to test drive... so I've booked a test drive for next Thursday, before I leave on a trip to Europe.

After weighing things up I've decided to buy new when I do get one, as I agree that there will probably be hefty discounts on them, considering the financial clitame atm.

Just one thing though,

It looks reasonable to use everyday, but how good is it REALLY in everyday use? Has anyone on here any expierience on using them day to day?

Otherwise I'll have to get rid of the SM, and keep my 911 as the daily...
Old 08-16-2008, 02:36 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Daily Use

The car is fun to drive, yet very docile, no problems in traffic, etc.

Engine has gobs of torque, and a complete novice can drive the car in automatic mode.

Only drawbacks are the low ground clearance, and difficult access into the area behind the driver and passenger seats. The seat backs do not fold forward, so it isn't the easiest area to reach. There also is a warning sticker in the trunk (boot) area, stating that the maximum load capacity is 110 lb. (50 kg). So that might be an area of concern for you as well.

Car has a small fuel tank, but mine does get 20+ MPG on the interstate when I drive it like an old lady . . .

When I really drive it, as in on a track, the mileage is somewhat diminished

The universal comment that I hear from other owners who have multiple interesting vehicles, is that they find themselves choosing to drive the CLK63 Black Series, time and time again, over their other choices. I have found their feelings mimick my own . . .

Hope this helps!

JDB
Old 03-30-2009, 03:37 PM

UPDATE :d:d:d

Well, I thought I'd drag this thread back from the dead and tell you guys that I did buy a BS in the end.... and what a ~%$#ing car it is too......

I'll tell the story and get some pics up later...

J
Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 AM
lsb

clk black series
Congratulations James,

At last another UK based owner, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one!!

Enjoy the car.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by lsb
Congratulations James,

At last another UK based owner, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one!!

Enjoy the car.
At the risk of going OT on the OP, I went by the Porsche dealer in Guildford last night. There must have been 30 cars on the floor.

Compare that to the 2 dealers in Dallas which can hold maybe 10 cars on their floor. The Dallas dealers serve maybe 3 million people combined.

Guildford maybe 400k, is that fair?
High taste for Porsche in Surrey!

Congrats to James, hope you love the car.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:37 PM
lsb

clk black series
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
At the risk of going OT on the OP, I went by the Porsche dealer in Guildford last night. There must have been 30 cars on the floor.

Compare that to the 2 dealers in Dallas which can hold maybe 10 cars on their floor. The Dallas dealers serve maybe 3 million people combined.

Guildford maybe 400k, is that fair?
High taste for Porsche in Surrey!

Congrats to James, hope you love the car.

Blimey I only live about 10 miles from Guildford, small world !!

There cannot be many places in the world where Porsche sells more cars per square mile than Surrey. Probably why the sales staff have had the luxury of not having to try too hard in the past.

By chance I had to take my 996 rs in for a service today. I always favour AFN Reading ( Porsche GB ) over Guildford, found the attitude far better, as well as the parking. Still won't stop me selling it soon though, fallen in love with the black !!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Despite the affluence here in Guildford / Godalming Surrey, I note your Renault dealer is packing up anything of value and the lights will be out soon. Only the strong will survive.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:37 PM
lsb

clk black series
I always think it sad when a dealership folds or moves on, no matter what the marque. Sign of the times I suppose.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:52 PM

Just for the record, I eventually ordered my black from a dealer in Blackburn, Lancashire, which is hardly black series territory. I was spurred on by the family I was visiting and the next thing I knew I was down at Whitebirk Mercedes.... You shoulda seen the look on their face when i said " So what do you know about the black series.... " LOL

Picked one up a week later, its silver btw, and blasted back home, setting off at 5 in the morning.... I was home at half 7.... A new record for me..... 224 miles in 2 and a half hours
Old 03-31-2009, 03:25 PM
lsb

clk black series
Congrats on picking the best colour

I was told that there were only 26 in the country and most of those seem to be black. There cannot be too many new cars that are rarer.

How's your ownership experience been so far ? How many miles have you done, past the diff oil change yet ?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 PM

Im currently at just over 3k so yeah the diff oil was changed at just under 2k IIRC.

Having just taken on another old car, it is true bliss to get in the black at the end of the day. No probs so far....
Old 04-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Banned

Volkswagan
Definitely yes,i think you have a very good choice for cars.

Go ahead