CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

My Rear Dymags Are Falling Apart or Something!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Keep an eye on this thread, it has been 4 months to the day that I started this thread. In the early going I praised Dymag on their quick response and thier professionalism in handling the issue with my wheels. I am sorry to say that my positive attitude is deteriorating at a rapid pace. I still do not have replacment wheels on my car and it looks like getting the wheels in my hands before my upcoming Willow Springs and Famosa events are going to be a long shot at best. I have already missed several track events and wasted over $1200.00 of my own money. I'm not sure what the hold up is, but maybe the risk of some negative press will motivate them to get me my replacement wheels before Jan 14th

....stay tuned
Old 01-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fickleone
Their service may be great, but it seems as these wheels are not yet ready for "prime time"

It seems to be a case of letting the Customers pay for the R&D. I know of others who have had "finish" problems with these wheels as well, and had to have them replaced. Who needs that hassle. In the automotive "performance" world sometimes there is no substitute for OEM and the rigorous testing that is required.

Finish is one thing, if the wheel "might" not be able to take the torque, that is a whole other level of concern.

Based upon what I read here, and the potential implications, I wouldn't dare put (or keep) those wheels on my car.
I posted the above on 9/06/08 and it looks like their service isn't great either.

Why take unnecessary risks? If the wheels aren't ready, will a rush lead to shortcut or new quality issue.

My suggestion: look for ceramic rotors instead, less risky and probably not that much more expensive.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Any update? Looking for wheels now and dymags came to my att.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by Frankster
Any update? Looking for wheels now and dymags came to my att.
I'll see Jrcart tomorrow and see if he's got the new Dymags. I know they've been shipped. Jim would respond...but he was a bad boy and they've revoked his first amendment rights for two weeks. I'm sure he'll respond as I wouldn't want to speak for him.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
The wheels arrived on Monday (shipped overnight from England on Friday at Dymag's expense). Already mounted and going on JRCart's car today (it is here now).

It is unfortunate what occurred, but in the end Dymag did step up and replace the wheels at no cost, and even with an upgraded design. Not saying that this was more then should have been done, as it is the right thing to have done. However, few in this industry actually do the right thing when things go south! So for that, I do applaud Dymag and am proud to be a premier dealer!

thanks
brad
Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by otoupalik
It is unfortunate what occurred, but in the end Dymag did step up and replace the wheels at no cost, and even with an upgraded design.
So does this mean Jim is getting a different style/spokes or when you say different design did you mean a better version of the Dymags?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
While four months may seem like a long time, I still applaud Dymag - for many other vendors the time period to wait for a replacement of an obviously defective part is closer to infinity!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
so how are the new wheels?
Jim did you notice a big difference with them now since oyu have been using stock ones for a while?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I finally got the replacement wheels, they look good, however one of them has a slow leak so that needs to be addresses ASAP, I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:28 PM

CLS55
Dymag has great customer service I know 4 months is a long time but the company is doing their best to stand behind their product. They are passionate about making things right at any expense. I applaud them1
Old 01-26-2009, 03:36 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by jrcart
I finally got the replacement wheels, they look good, however one of them has a slow leak so that needs to be addresses ASAP, I'll keep you posted.
a leak after getting fixed

best of luck mate!

contemplating getting theri revised ones or just waiting for the HRE dymags coming out soonish
Old 01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by Zod
a leak after getting fixed

best of luck mate!

contemplating getting theri revised ones or just waiting for the HRE dymags coming out soonish
leaking is not uncommon in multi-piece wheels after being used hard (ie: track time). They will need to have the torque on the fasteners checked, and I think (ie: hope) that is the cause.

The HRE/Dymags are at least 6 months out according to HRE.

thanks
Brad
Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
leaking is not uncommon in multi-piece wheels after being used hard (ie: track time). They will need to have the torque on the fasteners checked, and I think (ie: hope) that is the cause.

thanks
Brad
they are
bah
really playing with the idea of dymags and brake rotor and caliper weight savings over stock...what you think?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by Zod
they are
sadly, yes. Direct from HRE.

really playing with the idea of dymags and brake rotor and caliper weight savings over stock...what you think?
I think it is a HUGE improvement. Anytime you can take weight off the car, that is a huge plus. Then to make that un-sprung weight, especially rotating un-sprung weight. It is roughly a 4-1 ratio, so when you save 1 lb of un-sprung weight, that is like taking 4lbs off of the chassis. So going to ltw rotors and wheels is the best value for lightening the vehicle and improving dynamic performance (braking, acceleration, handling).

thanks
brad
Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks
Brad
Brad, the only problem is that they were leaking when I pulled the car off the trailer at Willow even before they where "used hard".
Old 02-04-2009, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Founder

Yep, as I just confirmed with you on the phone, a few of the bolts were found to be below torque. So we will make sure that they are all up to spec before initial mounting (when I say "we" of course I mean Dymag USA!)

thanks
brad
Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
hope it works out for you jrcart!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by jrcart
Brad, the only problem is that they were leaking when I pulled the car off the trailer at Willow even before they where "used hard".
So are they a new style wheel or what is new about them Hey Brad Pm me on price for the dymags.. Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
So are they a new style wheel or what is new about them Hey Brad Pm me on price for the dymags.. Thanks
The center discs are now made from forged MagnAlium while the old centers were just cast magnesium.