CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

So you wanna' be a rock star?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
So you wanna' be a rock star?

Buy a CLK Black Series.

I was at a track weekend and this car was absolutely the most commented upon car in any group. There were all types of track and street cars there and people sought me out to comment on the car. One guy went so far as to say, "I never thought I would see one of these!"

General consensus (and I paraphrase) "Oh ****, that car is just beautiful." At staging, a guy climbed out of a race prepped F430 to come over and offer his praise.

Best comment came after the parade laps, I let a guy and his wife take it out because she hates his 911 (lowered and coil overs), he's thinking about an E63 and they were both taken by the looks of the CLK Black. She gets out of the car and says, "They need to change the name of this car from AMG to OMG!"
I think he may be a convert soon ... at least if she has anything to say about it.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
nice , i love clk bs in person it looks like a supercar
Old 12-08-2008, 02:31 AM

Clk Black Series
now i really cant wait for mine to come in this week.

what track were you at and how do you feel it performed??
Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Buy a CLK Black Series.

I was at a track weekend and this car was absolutely the most commented upon car in any group. There were all types of track and street cars there and people sought me out to comment on the car. One guy went so far as to say, "I never thought I would see one of these!"

General consensus (and I paraphrase) "Oh ****, that car is just beautiful." At staging, a guy climbed out of a race prepped F430 to come over and offer his praise.

Best comment came after the parade laps, I let a guy and his wife take it out because she hates his 911 (lowered and coil overs), he's thinking about an E63 and they were both taken by the looks of the CLK Black. She gets out of the car and says, "They need to change the name of this car from AMG to OMG!"
I think he may be a convert soon ... at least if she has anything to say about it.
I assume you are talking about the TMR this past weekend, I was supposed to be down there but I never got my Dymags back from Dymag and I only had a set of badly spent rubber on my stock wheels, I have 2 sets of brand new 305's for my dymags but those don't fit on the stock wheels.

Sounds like you had a blast.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by jenk12m
what track were you at and how do you feel it performed??
Texas Motorsport Ranch on the 1.7 mile track running clockwise.

How did the car perform? The car was flawless, it did everything I told it to do.
And I didn't really mean to tell it to do a 540 degree, tire screeching smoking spin ending up 2 wheels off, right in front of the grandstand on the back straight ... but it did what I told it to do!

The central issue was the tire pressure, the Corsas at street pressure are balloons in very short order. It took 2 sessions to get them right and I ended up going out at 35 lbs, coming back at 40. They're good tires but not as good as track tires.

As others have mentioned, TC off is the way to go, the transmission is very smart and you're almost always in the right gear. There's an occasional downshift that's not perfectly timed but I can do that on my own too.

The OEM brakes are no problem at all, in fact they're really quite good.

JR, there's another event in January in College Station and the track is longer and supposed to be much more rewarding.

Last edited by DFW01E55; 12-08-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Nice, congrats. Did you get any pics?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Texas Motorsport Ranch on the 1.7 mile track running clockwise.

How did the car perform? The car was flawless, it did everything I told it to do.
And I didn't really mean to tell it to do a 540 degree, tire screeching smoking spin ending up 2 wheels off, right in front of the grandstand on the back straight ... but it did what I told it to do!

The central issue was the tire pressure, the Corsas at street pressure are balloons in very short order. It took 2 sessions to get them right and I ended up going out at 35 lbs, coming back at 40. They're good tires but not as good as track tires.

As others have mentioned, TC off is the way to go, the transmission is very smart and you're almost always in the right gear. There's an occasional downshift that's not perfectly timed but I can do that on my own too.

The OEM brakes are no problem at all, in fact they're really quite good.

JR, there's another event in January in College Station and the track is longer and supposed to be much more rewarding.
What are the dates in Jan? I just rented out Houston Raceway Park drag strip on Saturday Jan. 24th in my quest for a 10 second 1/4 mile. Let me know becuase my car is in Dallas for the winter and I am looking to do some road racing, that's what I built this thing for. I am supposed to be going to LA and with my car in mid-Jan to run Willow so let me know so I can decide what I am going to do.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
No pics right now Chappy, they should be up later in the week.

jr, that reference above to January is a link.

I'll save you the click, you guessed it, January 24 & 25.
However, College Station is an hour and a half north of Houston. You may want to look at the track layout, it's 2.9 miles and only 14 turns.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No pics right now Chappy, they should be up later in the week.

jr, that reference above to January is a link.

I'll save you the click, you guessed it, January 24 & 25.
However, College Station is an hour and a half north of Houston. You may want to look at the track layout, it's 2.9 miles and only 14 turns.
Drag racing on Saturday and road racing on Sunday sounds like a great weekend to me. I will most likely be there on Sunday.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:38 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by jrcart
What are the dates in Jan? I just rented out Houston Raceway Park drag strip on Saturday Jan. 24th in my quest for a 10 second 1/4 mile. Let me know becuase my car is in Dallas for the winter and I am looking to do some road racing, that's what I built this thing for. I am supposed to be going to LA and with my car in mid-Jan to run Willow so let me know so I can decide what I am going to do.
Last time I was in Willow there were almost more black series than Porsche's present Well, maybe not. Anyways, look at the picture, I've never seen so many in one place, have you?
Attached Thumbnails So you wanna' be a rock star?-dscn1876.jpg  
Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by SMP
Last time I was in Willow there were almost more black series than Porsche's present Well, maybe not. Anyways, look at the picture, I've never seen so many in one place, have you?
Sascha,
Great picture. That Mars red is sooo hot ,silver and black not bad either.
Jimmy
Old 12-08-2008, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SMP
Looks like you guys had some fun, cool pic. I have never seen more than 2 in the same place at one time...I love beating up on P cars, the look on their faces as I drive past them exiting a turn, that they most likely just outbraked (not always, lots of chumps parking it) me in is priceless....looks kind of like this

To date I have beat 997 tt's, a GT2 and several GT3's on road courses. I'm sure skill and experience had something to do with it, but it is still a great feeling being able to pass some of those guys that think their ***** don't stink and they for some reason think they are driving the baddest cars ever created. Then after the session is over they all walk over to my car and stare at it shaking their heads in amazment and dis-belief.

Last edited by jrcart; 12-08-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
For those of you tracking their cars in the TX area, I recommend this track; the BS will shine here:

http://www.msrhouston.com/msrhouston/homepage.asp

It's fairly new and very fast.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by SMP
Wow, I wonder how many were sold in SoCal vs. everywhere else.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by jrcart
To date I have beat 997 tt's, a GT2 and several GT3's on road courses. I'm sure skill and experience had something to do with it, but it is still a great feeling being able to pass some of those guys that think their ***** don't stink and they for some reason think they are driving the baddest cars ever created. Then after the session is over they all walk over to my car and stare at it shaking their heads in amazment and dis-belief.
I've had no problem with Gt3's, 2nd generation Vipers, stock 997 turbo, M3's, F360's, Lambo's. The legitimate steet cars that have got by on the track are a F430 Scud that had better braking, and a 700 hp twin turbo (way more power) and Carrera GT. I'm sure that someone will tell me how fast there GT3 is and my answer is show up.

Jimmy
Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Sascha,
Great picture. That Mars red is sooo hot ,silver and black not bad either.
Jimmy
Jimmy, it looked even hotter entering turn 8 when you gave that Scuderia a hard time getting by
Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 AM

Clk Black Series
all you guys needed was a white one to complete that pic