CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Selling the BS.... Price?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by 573WHPCLS
I feel sorry for guys like you that think you have it all figured out, have a master plan, yet you are sitting on the outside looking in. Keep pinching those pennies and maybe you can own one in 2-3 years, it will still be a great car in 2-3 years but it will be yesterday's news and you will still be on the outside looking in at the next great thing to come along.
You should be proud of yourself and the knowledge and insight you bring to this forum and discussion

I find your highlighted comment extremely interesting as it goes against all of the basic precepts of one who is a collector.

If you are a collector you must have a master plan as any investment requires.

Collectors don't wait for "the next great thing to come along"....
If it will be considered "collectable" it will prove itself in three to five years.
The collector will look at a great thing as the BS, wait for the market and the initial owners to take the depreciation, then purchase at a discount and hold waiting for appreciation, and in the mean time enjoying it.
The profit is made when one buys, not sells...if you know what I mean !!!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM
lsb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk black series
it will still be a great car in 2-3 years but it will be yesterday's news and you will still be on the outside looking in at the next great thing to come along.
I would be interested to know how many owners on here are planning to keep their bs for the long haul compared to those who will not be able to resist " the next great thing " ??

I will start the ball rolling by saying that I hope to keep it for the long haul.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM

08 CLK63 Black Series, 11 ZR1, 13 M6, 15 G63
Originally Posted by RBYCC
I find your highlighted comment extremely interesting as it goes against all of the basic precepts of one who is a collector.

If you are a collector you must have a master plan as any investment requires.

Collectors don't wait for "the next great thing to come along"....
If it will be considered "collectable" it will prove itself in three to five years.
The collector will look at a great thing as the BS, wait for the market and the initial owners to take the depreciation, then purchase at a discount and hold waiting for appreciation, and in the mean time enjoying it.
The profit is made when one buys, not sells...if you know what I mean !!!
When did I ever say I bought this car to be a collectors item? My Black Series is a summer time daily driver, my Black Series has over 6500 miles on it. I own a 1989 Trans Am GTA Turbo which is more of a collectors item than the Black Series will ever be IMO.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
When did I ever say I bought this car to be a collectors item? My Black Series is a summer time daily driver, my Black Series has over 6500 miles on it. I own a 1989 Trans Am GTA Turbo which is more of a collectors item than the Black Series will ever be IMO.
You're maybe the perfect owner that one who collects for pleasure or profit targets...

Owners that like "the next great thing" and move on to it are where the best price points are on a two to three year old desirable car.

Your GTA Turbo is a very desirable car, and if you've owned from new it has gone through a depreciation/appreciation cycle...the optimum purchase point is as the depreciation cycle is waning...but the risk is in the future appreciation of the car.

If you collect for pleasure you are never that wrong if you buy it right !!!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
With regard to cars, never understood the term "yesterday's news." A true enthusiast can appreciate all cars and doesn't need the latest to impress people pulling up at the club. I've penny pinched my way to a decent collection all bought from new (aside from the W220) and don't think the E46 M3 is any more yesterday's news than the E39 M5 or E55 became after the arrival of the E63, especially when kept largely stock/non modded. Outpaced in a straightline may happen after five or six years of release but any Neon with 10k into it can do that to most cars anyways.

I'm also fairly sure that any 500bhp or more car will still be faster than 99.9% of things on the road in ten years, especially the way the green crazies are taking the car business.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM

08 CLK63 Black Series, 11 ZR1, 13 M6, 15 G63
Originally Posted by transferred
With regard to cars, never understood the term "yesterday's news." A true enthusiast can appreciate all cars and doesn't need the latest to impress people pulling up at the club. I've penny pinched my way to a decent collection all bought from new (aside from the W220) and don't think the E46 M3 is any more yesterday's news than the E39 M5 or E55 became after the arrival of the E63, especially when kept largely stock/non modded. Outpaced in a straightline may happen after five or six years of release but any Neon with 10k into it can do that to most cars anyways.

I'm also fairly sure that any 500bhp or more car will still be faster than 99.9% of things on the road in ten years, especially the way the green crazies are taking the car business.
My "yesterdays news" comment was aimed at PIGMAN who was taking some low blow shots at some of us BS owners, seems he is a bit confussed, in one breath he is critical to Black Series owners (pretentious comment) as a whole and in his next sentence he is talking about being an owner someday, he needs to make up his mind. I owns some classic cars, so my "yesterdays news" statement might have been taken a little out of context. Let's be honest, a 1967 Shelby Cobra is "yesterdays news" but any of us would kill for one, me included. My "yesterdays news comment was only made to point out that in 2-3 years when the PIGMAN "pinches enough pennies" to afford one there will be another car out there that will outshine the Black Series. Don't take what I am saying out of context, remeber, I own a Black Series and I am a big fan, I hope it does become a desireable classic someday, if it does or does not, either way I am going to enjoy it just the same. I purchase cars to drive them, not lock them away in a climate controlled garage or museum and keep my fingers crossed the it becomes the hottest thing to roll up on stage at Barret Jackson 20-30 years from now.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
My "yesterdays news" comment was aimed at PIGMAN who was taking some low blow shots at some of us BS owners, seems he is a bit confussed, in one breath he is critical to Black Series owners (pretentious comment) as a whole and in his next sentence he is talking about being an owner someday, he needs to make up his mind. I owns some classic cars, so my "yesterdays news" statement might have been taken a little out of context. Let's be honest, a 1967 Shelby Cobra is "yesterdays news" but any of us would kill for one, me included. My "yesterdays news comment was only made to point out that in 2-3 years when the PIGMAN "pinches enough pennies" to afford one there will be another car out there that will outshine the Black Series. Don't take what I am saying out of context, remeber, I own a Black Series and I am a big fan, I hope it does become a desireable classic someday, if it does or does not, either way I am going to enjoy it just the same. I purchase cars to drive them, not lock them away in a climate controlled garage or museum and keep my fingers crossed the it becomes the hottest thing to roll up on stage at Barret Jackson 20-30 years from now.
Ah, gotcha- we're on the same page. Typing from a porter cabin on site so was just skimming. Makes sense and pleased to know you're not one of those who thinks a car is a fashion accessory like the Bentley drivers around here. Perf cars like Ms and AMGs are made to be driven, and when the opportunity arises, driven hard.

As regards the Shelby, darn right I'd kill for one even though it is true that after 40years the driving dynamics are more than a little out dated.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by lsb
I will start the ball rolling by saying that I hope to keep it for the long haul.
Depending on the economy I hope to trade up to something a bit more exotic, but I have this sneaky feeling that I'll be driving a 10 year old Honda.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by transferred
As regards the Shelby, darn right I'd kill for one even though it is true that after 40years the driving dynamics are more than a little out dated.
Very true about the driving dynamics of the Cobra.....all power and no downforce. Not something you see nowadays. A very dangerous car even in the best of hands. Even downshifting is dangerous due to no torque converter. Ive never driven a BS, but i suspect it is a very easy car to drive as has been said by some of the current owners.

T
Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by lsb
I would be interested to know how many owners on here are planning to keep their bs for the long haul compared to those who will not be able to resist " the next great thing " ??

There are a number of reasons why I'm holding on to my car. Like I said before, the only other car I was interested in, was a GT3RS. I have a feeling that neither Porsche nor Mercedes will build low production track worthy cars in the near future, especially in this economy. So, it's a keeper.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by slykmr
Just was a real low blow when dealer offered me 79k at trade in. Ouch!
Go back to that dealer and see if he will still do that trade. Maybe you can get a little more off on the car you are wanting to buy and can make up a few $$$. Good luck
Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 AM
lsb

clk black series
When I read the above post why do I keep hearing Latka ( Andy Kaufman ) from the tv show "Taxi" in my head ???
Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 AM

'11 VW GTI
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Go back to that dealer and see if he will still do that trade. Maybe you can get a little more off on the car you are wanting to buy and can make up a few $$$. Good luck
+1000! If that dealer is still willing to give you $79K. I just searched ebay completed listings for CLK63 Black, and it goes back to Feb 4th, showing no sales. For reference, there was a white one w/9K miles that bid up to $78K, but reserve was not met. And another white one w/7500 miles, starting at $85K, received no bids.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
not many people are buying anything except food......maybe Walmart is a good stock to have. The democrats are really shaking things up.

T
Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 PM

2014 G63 | 2011 LP570
Originally Posted by jwoods986
+1000! If that dealer is still willing to give you $79K. I just searched ebay completed listings for CLK63 Black, and it goes back to Feb 4th, showing no sales. For reference, there was a white one w/9K miles that bid up to $78K, but reserve was not met. And another white one w/7500 miles, starting at $85K, received no bids.

Oh yes I am still working on deals here and there. The problem is that no one is wanting to finance exotics no matter how good your credit is. With the economy where it is putting their neck out for a 150k exotic pleasure car is not in the deck of cards. Everything happens for a reason so will see what happens.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Oh yes I am still working on deals here and there. The problem is that no one is wanting to finance exotics no matter how good your credit is. With the economy where it is putting their neck out for a 150k exotic pleasure car is not in the deck of cards. Everything happens for a reason so will see what happens.
Your not trying to sell a $150K exotic pleasure car. Your selling a $80K car that a few months ago had a MSRP of $140K. I would think they would see the value in your car at this price and if someone had a good credit score it should not be a problem.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 PM

2014 G63 | 2011 LP570
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Your not trying to sell a $150K exotic pleasure car. Your selling a $80K car that a few months ago had a MSRP of $140K. I would think they would see the value in your car at this price and if someone had a good credit score it should not be a problem.
I know I am not selling a $150k exotic pleasure car. I am referring to the Lambo I am looking at My credit score is not the problem, mid 700's is more than sufficient and money down. Trust me this is not my first car. Have you tried financing an exotic recently?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Financing an exotic right now is a nightmare (premier, woodside) Besides the hefty down payment required, you need to provide bank account statement showing adequate funds in your accounts, tax returns, DNA sample etc. And then there's still no guarantee that you'll get the loan.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
The days of zero documentation loans are loooooong gone fellas.....
Old 02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Out Of Control!

Just curious but if you have a score of 800+ you still need to provide docs, etc.?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jl88
Financing an exotic right now is a nightmare (premier, woodside) Besides the hefty down payment required, you need to provide bank account statement showing adequate funds in your accounts, tax returns, DNA sample etc. And then there's still no guarantee that you'll get the loan.
He's right. My boss just bought a S65 and he said it's like buying a home. They wanted POI (proof of income), bank statements, 2 yrs tax docs, etc.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by JamE55
Just curious but if you have a score of 800+ you still need to provide docs, etc.?
I recently posted a thread about people getting denied loans on $60,000 cars with high 700 credit scores or being told they have to cough up huge down payments. A good friend of mine is the GM at a large Audi dealership, he said they are getting people in the door that want to spend money but they can't get financed and nobody has $20,000 sitting around to use as a down payment. He says they see 2 types of buyers at the Audi dealerships, the 17-20% of buyers that walk in and write a check for an A6 or A8 and the other 80% that walk in with $1000.00 or less to put down on a car. 13 years ago I was making a fraction of what I make now, I walked into my local BMW dealership signed my name and drive off with a a 1995 BMW M3 with no money down and a trade I was upsidedown on...boy how have times changed. Two weeks ago I was buying a new ride that was only $45,000 and you would have thought I was asking for a $3,000,000 mortgage with all the garbage the needed to see.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by jrcart
I recently posted a thread about people getting denied loans on $60,000 cars with high 700 credit scores or being told they have to cough up huge down payments. A good friend of mine is the GM at a large Audi dealership, he said they are getting people in the door that want to spend money but they can't get financed and nobody has $20,000 sitting around to use as a down payment. He says they see 2 types of buyers at the Audi dealerships, the 17-20% of buyers that walk in and write a check for an A6 or A8 and the other 80% that walk in with $1000.00 or less to put down on a car. 13 years ago I was making a fraction of what I make now, I walked into my local BMW dealership signed my name and drive off with a a 1995 BMW M3 with no money down and a trade I was upsidedown on...boy how have times changed. Two weeks ago I was buying a new ride that was only $45,000 and you would have thought I was asking for a $3,000,000 mortgage with all the garbage the needed to see.
That's just ridiculous. I can understand both sides (consumer and dealer) both where do you draw the line when buying an exotic car? Or i guess you just hold off til you have the money?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:49 PM

'11 VW GTI
Man, this crap is ridiculous! All I can say is Credit Unions baby. Navy Federal gave me a preapproval up to an amount that is 75% of my yearly income, over the phone, right after I gave the lady my SSN. This was back in October, but credit was already tight then. I also hadn't been at my current job for even a year, but I've been a NFCU member (in good standing) for a long time. I guess it also helps that Navy Fed didn't mess with these sub-prime loans and shady practices during the housing boom, and have $3 billion in cash reserves
Old 02-25-2009, 06:07 PM

CLS63, GLK350
I know I am not selling a $150k exotic pleasure car. I am referring to the Lambo I am looking at My credit score is not the problem, mid 700's is more than sufficient and money down. Trust me this is not my first car. Have you tried financing an exotic recently?
No I never have. I pay cash for everything. Except gas and some meals out, airfare when you buy online. May not be smart since I never have any tax write-off's but I like to own stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Selling the BS.... Price?