CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Willow Springs/Evosport Track Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
I'm also intersted in your thoughts about the transmission of the the Black Series while lapping.

Did you run in "S" automatic mode, or did you shift yourself in "M" mode?

If you tried both modes, which mode do you think you're faster in?

I ask because I'm pretty sure I'm faster in "S" mode in my older 5 speed Speedshift unit in the C55, as there is a lag between pressing the shift button/paddle and the actual shift in my "M" mode, especially during upshifts. In automatic "S" mode, I just let the car shift for me and it seems to do a pretty decent job most of the time (active downshifting under braking, holding a gear without upshifting during a turn). Of course, this is after a few laps of driving aggressively so the transmission learns and realizes you want an aggressive shift pattern.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 01-18-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by JDB
It is Willow Springs, but I think it's a smaller track at the facility known as the "Streets of Willow". Maybe some of the Southern California members can confirm this.

Incidentally, the Streets of Willow is where Mercedes-AMG held their international press day preview of the CLK63 Black Series back in 2007.

JDB

Attachment 147771
That track more closely replicates a canyon road. Also it is a slower track where you are less likely to have press drivers flying off the track at 140 mph. The big track can yield a serious crash if you let a under skilled driver lose in a car he does not own. At the big track, they normally have cones around the track that limit your line and speed, to slow people down and keep it "safe."

I have seen a press monkey stack up a New Viper on at a press event at th big track.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
I'm also intersted in your thoughts about the transmission of the the Black Series while lapping.

Did you run in "S" automatic mode, or did you shift yourself in "M" mode?

If you tried both modes, which mode do you think you're faster in?

I ask because I'm pretty sure I'm faster in "S" mode in my older 5 speed Speedshift unit in the C55, as there is a lag between pressing the shift button/paddle and the actual shift in my "M" mode, especially during upshifts. In automatic "S" mode, I just let the car shift for me and it seems to do a pretty decent job most of the time (active downshifting under braking, holding a gear without upshifting during a turn). Of course, this is after a few laps of driving aggressively so the transmission learns and realizes you want an aggressive shift pattern.
I don't know if this question is directed to me, but I use S mode. Next event
I'll run some sessions in M. Luke ran in M mode as your only using 3,4th & 5th.
Jimmy
Old 01-18-2009, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Craig Stanton did a 1:32 in a bone stock Lotus Elise (190 hp) NON sport package. I cant find the footage now but he is on the ragged edge the entire lap and he just drives it with absolute skill and no fear. His line in 4 is similar to that in the posted Exige footage.

The lotus cars are extremely quick in the hands of the select few who really know how to extract speed from them. The normal guys in elises and exiges at the track drive extremely slowly. It is a twitchy car that has a great deal of "liveliness" in the rear end upon any lifting of throttle after turn in. I have been off the track ONCE and it was in a Lotus Elise. I have never driven any mid engine cars other than that one Lotus and before I do that again i need to learn how to control a car like that. Its a whole different ball game. I lost count of the # of Enterprise Rental Car Lotus Elise cars I have seen cracked up at willow springs. A driver not ready for the mid engine experience will go off in a big way.
I am quite impressed withe the new EVO X. With stock suspension, minor motor upgrades, and 275/35/18 Nitto NT-01 tires on 18x9.5 wheels I have gotten down to a 1:34.8. I cant imagine what is possible if you really add power, stiffen the suspension and get moving. Unlike the Lotus that Mitsubishi is simple to drive. It is almost to easy in that you feel as if a monkey with hams for fists could do that lap time.

I think a BS bone stock, driven by a very skilled driver could do a 1:32-1:33 but after that you need to get rid of some of that 4000 lbs.
Cyn
We already know it'll do 1:32's with a pro driver. The Evosport track day helped evaluate upgrades vs stock back to back. We are still in the learning curve as to what works with this car and being able to run them against one another and reporting will help others evaluate what mods are for them.

I can get the BS under 1:30's with me driving!.. but I'd ruin what I got the car for. I've got another car I can barely stand to drive 50 miles but it'll do sub 1:30's. My point is cars capable of sub 1:30's are not very good street cars in spite of what some think.

For most of us a track day is for fun and the limited passing zone doesn't equate to the same as a time trial run. For that reason I'm skeptical at many of the alleged times produced by unverified timing. I'm getting OT. Most os the faster cars than the BS are not very good street cars and thats where the BS shines.
Jimmy
Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Cyn
We already know it'll do 1:32's with a pro driver. The Evosport track day helped evaluate upgrades vs stock back to back. We are still in the learning curve as to what works with this car and being able to run them against one another and reporting will help others evaluate what mods are for them.

I can get the BS under 1:30's with me driving!.. but I'd ruin what I got the car for. I've got another car I can barely stand to drive 50 miles but it'll do sub 1:30's. My point is cars capable of sub 1:30's are not very good street cars in spite of what some think.

For most of us a track day is for fun and the limited passing zone doesn't equate to the same as a time trial run. For that reason I'm skeptical at many of the alleged times produced by unverified timing. I'm getting OT. Most os the faster cars than the BS are not very good street cars and thats where the BS shines.
Jimmy
All very accurate. I drive around in a BMW with 600 lb springs and its at the point where any stiffer and I wont want to get in the car on a weekend even for a quick drive.

What I was saying is a stock BS is a 1:32 or so second car. Saying it can do 1.xxx.xx modified is not what I was saying. Once you go away from stock its a different ball game.

At some point you realize a car made for the street is never that perfect for the track and a track car is a joke on the street. Ideally you have nice car for the street and then something dedicated for the track.

But it is fun driving a street car at the track that is bloody quick and scaring people who are in their full race machines and not that great at driving.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
...am quite impressed with the the new EVO X.. I have gotten down to a 1:34.8...
You’re getting ‘round in >1:35 piloting the EVO X? Pretty darn close to an OE W209 Black Series.

Difference between CynCarvin32 and some – like me – is that he knows how to get after it-

Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by L8Apex
Very true! I've beat a handful but with a good driver really pushing the little car I had no chance. Here is a vid of a very capable driver (Craig pro driver) pushing an Exige 10/10ths. He holds the track record for the exige 1:26 or 27 cant remember. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJb0I74x3Rs Watch his line in turn 4. There are several NA Exiges in the 1:28s too.

BTW, That BS sounds incredible on the front straight. Any in car vids?
L8Apex,
Thanks for posting the video, I watched it several times and I've been at track days with Craig. No Exige I've run ever sounded or accelerted like the one Craig was driving. I did a little investigating on the car he was driving, it was a Ronin special with 320 hp! So the 1:27 is actually a highly modified Lotus! Interesting on the same day he ran an Exige S on Yoko Advans and turned a
1:32. which is what you would expect of a pro driver.
I can sleep much better now.
Jimmy
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
L8Apex,
Thanks for posting the video, I watched it several times and I've been at track days with Craig. No Exige I've run ever sounded or accelerted like the one Craig was driving. I did a little investigating on the car he was driving, it was a Ronin special with 320 hp! So the 1:27 is actually a highly modified Lotus! Interesting on the same day he ran an Exige S on Yoko Advans and turned a
1:32. which is what you would expect of a pro driver.
I can sleep much better now.
Jimmy
Thats a little monster! For being a street/track car (Exige) I've seen more on a flatbed leaving the track than those driving home. AAA should be a option. It seems their gearbox gives them all kinds of grief. Rest easy.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
great write-up!

man, that looks great.

not to stir the pot, but did Jangy show up for a race against JCart?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Out Of Control!

Awsome pics Luke!

The red BS and Jcarts really stand out. For anyone who drove Jim's EVO BS, how did the suspension handle on the twisties? Did you feel any body roll at all?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:48 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by nlpamg
great write-up!

man, that looks great.

not to stir the pot, but did Jangy show up for a race against JCart?
No, Jangy was not at Willow.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by JamE55
Awsome pics Luke!

The red BS and Jcarts really stand out. For anyone who drove Jim's EVO BS, how did the suspension handle on the twisties? Did you feel any body roll at all?
Thanks man - Honestly, not much. From turns two through six the car was on rails with very, very little body roll. As I stated earlier, IMO, the most impressive aspect of Jrcarts car is the modified suspension (including the Dymags).
Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ones too fast according to CHP!
We are doing it again on the 19th of Feb!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by otoupalik
We are doing it again on the 19th of Feb!
Brad,

Please tell us about the pulley and belt thing with jrcart's car.
We know he has your EVO under drive pulley system.

Thanks,
MachC5
Old 01-21-2009, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Are you referring to the belt shred on track? If so, what we found once we got into the car was a failed stock idler pulley, which we believe led to the belt moving as the idler wobbled.

It is impossible to know 100% as we are working on it after the failure. However, finding a broken part, it is reasoable to assume that caused the failure.

Remember, Willow Springs is unlike most any other track in the US. You have more consistent high RPM full throttle and high g-loading then anywhere I know of. This is very stressful on equipment if the car is being pushed. That is one reason that the track is a good test for our products!

As we did not do the install on the evosport pulley, we were concerned that might be an issue. However, it appears that it was installed correctly and was not the issue that led to the belt shredding.

We did show JRCart the destroyed stock idler pulley.

thanks
brad
Old 01-21-2009, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
has anyone changed the hood to a carbon fiber version? I think i read JCart contemplated it. How much front end weight savings would be achieved?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by Doctodd33
has anyone changed the hood to a carbon fiber version? I think i read JCart contemplated it. How much front end weight savings would be achieved?
Evosport is building one that should be ready pretty soon from what Brad told me at the track. No clue what the weight savings will be but I'm sure it will be significant.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by LZH
Evosport is building one that should be ready pretty soon from what Brad told me at the track. No clue what the weight savings will be but I'm sure it will be significant.
Not sure on the 63, but I remember someone saying you only saved about 20 lbs on the 55 series and thus not a big demand.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
Since the hood on the BS is already made of aluminum, the weight savings will be not as dramatic. As far as I remember, Simon told me that Evosport's CF hood will feature ram air inlets and build in air box.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 AM
LZH
Banned

I thought the hood was sheet metal. Brad also told me they were working on two different hoods. A direct replacement and the ram air with NACA ducts. Should be pretty cool and allow more airflow.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I'm back from my time out

The Willow event was a blast...up until the point my serpentine belt shredded. As Brad mentioned it was the factory idler pulley that failed, not the Evosport crank pulley. It put a quick end to my day, I think other people did more laps in my car than I did (honestly). I was slow as hell out there, only putting one lap into the 39's, granted I only put in about 10 laps, but I was still unhappy with my performance. I was happy to see Brad lay down a few low 33's with relative ease, he claims he could go 28's with it...I'm gonna hold him to it next time

Jim Brady, I really wanted to let you take my car for a few laps to get your opinions on my mods, I had intended on letting you drive it right after the guy that was driving it when the belt blew. I will be back out there for the Willow event on February 19th, maybe you can take it for a spin then.

See you all soon
Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jrcart
I'm back from my time out

The Willow event was a blast...up until the point my serpentine belt shredded. As Brad mentioned it was the factory idler pulley that failed, not the Evosport crank pulley. It put a quick end to my day, I think other people did more laps in my car than I did (honestly). I was slow as hell out there, only putting one lap into the 39's, granted I only put in about 10 laps, but I was still unhappy with my performance. I was happy to see Brad lay down a few low 33's with relative ease, he claims he could go 28's with it...I'm gonna hold him to it next time

Jim Brady, I really wanted to let you take my car for a few laps to get your opinions on my mods, I had intended on letting you drive it right after the guy that was driving it when the belt blew. I will be back out there for the Willow event on February 19th, maybe you can take it for a spin then.

See you all soon
Jim
It was a pleasure meeting you and for those that haven't, Jim is a gentleman and a true enthusiast. I thought we'd have a go as I got a great run out of turn 9 and I saw your car pull in glad is was just an idler. I would like to drive your car to compare the mods. I plan on being there on the 19th.

The BS sound great but Jim's car is out of this world going down the front straight. I would say the only better sounding car I've ever heard is a Pagani Zonda and its close.

I know you didn't get much seat time but what did you think of Willow compared to say Road America?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 PM
LZH
Banned

Welcome back, Jim. Not to worry man...Willow, although not very technical, does take some time to learn. But it's just more about having the ***** to let it all hang out at some pretty high speeds. IMO you did the right thing not pushing it too much....it'd be a shame to wad such a nice car up. I'm sure you will be down in the low to mid 30's next time out. See you guys then !!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series

I know you didn't get much seat time but what did you think of Willow compared to say Road America?

Jim, Road America and Willow have nothing in common except for both being fast, but they are different types of fast if that makes sense. Willow only has 9 turns and the only fast section is 8,9 up to turn 1 where as Road America has 14 turns and has a super fast front straight (close to 170)14 to turn 1 followed by another superfast downhill turn 3-5 (really just another straight away turn 4 is not really a turn) turn 5 is the slowest turn on the track and you brake from 155 down to 35-40mph then in the back section gets super fast again from about half way around the carousel (turn 9) to Canada Corner (turn 12) is wide open. There are 3 sections on Road America which my car hits or exceeds 155 mph but not really hairy turns like 8-9 at Willow, the closest thing to 8-9 on Willow at RA I would have to say would be the second half of the carousel heading into the kink at turn 10 which if done properly is pretty much done wide open except for a split second lift before 10 to unload the chassis/suspension which then allows you to hit the apex at 10 and four wheel drift across the track straightening up just as your front left hits the apron/rumble strip and then it is wide open all the way to 12...lots of deers in this section which adds some excitment as well, I have actually seen deer crossing the track in this section on more than one occasion.

RA has many more technical sections than Willow and many of the corners at RA are blind turns due to some elevation changes, bridges and the area being heavily wooded, as where Willow is wide open and you can see ahead to most any corner or section you want.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by jrcart

RA has many more technical sections than Willow and many of the corners at RA are blind turns due to some elevation changes, bridges and the area being heavily wooded, as where Willow is wide open and you can see ahead to most any corner or section you want.
Blind turns, elevation, bridges, deer, RA sounds like a great track ... to drive a Miata. That way when disaster strikes, I'm not crying over a beautiful MB!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Willow Springs/Evosport Track Day