CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Holy Crap - Rear Flare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009 | 11:38 AM

Holy Crap - Rear Flare

Has anyone noticed that the rear flare part is peppered? I just got the car yesterday and drove it no more than 20 miles. This morning when I got up, I just started noticing them. It looks like this part went through a gravel pit..I counted some 15 chips on each side! Now, here's the sucker punch. There's only 300 miles on the odometer. Anyone else noticed this?
Old 01-23-2009 | 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by Frankster
Has anyone noticed that the rear flare part is peppered? I just got the car yesterday and drove it no more than 20 miles. This morning when I got up, I just started noticing them. It looks like this part went through a gravel pit..I counted some 15 chips on each side! Now, here's the sucker punch. There's only 300 miles on the odometer. Anyone else noticed this?
I put film on mine immediately and was lucky, even with ~200 miles I had no chips. I did notice lots of road grime from the trip home and had it done b/f I drove it again. It's a problem for unprotected cars.....

BTW, congrats on your car!
Old 01-23-2009 | 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Yup, mine are a mess too. I haven't made time to get it covered.
Old 01-23-2009 | 12:26 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
I had the entire front end, hood, fenders, side rockers and rear flares covered the day I got the car. I'm surprised with so few miles your car has this already....didn't you notice it before buying it ??
Old 01-23-2009 | 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Good advise to wrap the flares I wraped the hood and side pods as well. I learned from my porsche days that the huge flares are a magnet for gravel.
Old 01-23-2009 | 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by LZH
I had the entire front end, hood, fenders, side rockers and rear flares covered the day I got the car. I'm surprised with so few miles your car has this already....didn't you notice it before buying it ??
I didn't see them when I bought it, but then again it was later in the day. GRRR....has anyone had this repainted? Does the Black Series have the ceramiclear paint system?
Old 01-23-2009 | 06:31 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Not sure about the ceramiclear....but I know it has the nanotech paint. I'm sure any good paint shop can repaint it and you'd never know the difference.
Old 01-23-2009 | 06:42 PM

I called several bodyshops today. One referred to me by the local Ferrari dealer. Quoted for a reshoot of the entire rear quarter panels for $5500. How does that sound to you guys?
Old 01-23-2009 | 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
I called several bodyshops today. One referred to me by the local Ferrari dealer. Quoted for a reshoot of the entire rear quarter panels for $5500. How does that sound to you guys?
Sounds really high but they must be used to charging for Ferarri paint work? If I were you, I would find a really good touch up guy who works at one of the high end dealerships and have them touch it up and then put film over top. At least the paint would be mostly original. Better yet, you might take the car to someone who does film and ask them how they deal with rock chips under film. Can't be the first time they've encountered this issue. I absolutely would not paint the entire rear quarters for a few chips. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2009 | 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by chuck z
Sounds really high but they must be used to charging for Ferarri paint work? If I were you, I would find a really good touch up guy who works at one of the high end dealerships and have them touch it up and then put film over top. At least the paint would be mostly original. Better yet, you might take the car to someone who does film and ask them how they deal with rock chips under film. Can't be the first time they've encountered this issue. I absolutely would not paint the entire rear quarters for a few chips. Good luck.
Yep, you're right. Doesnt make sense to reshoot the whole area just for some chips. I guess I'm more **** than I thought. Thanks tho guys
Old 01-23-2009 | 08:58 PM
LZH
Banned

That price is absurd. Are you near LA ?? I know for a FACT that Beverly CoachCraft could do the flares ONLY for HALF that quote. They have done lots of work for me over the years and it is the best paintwork I have ever seen.
Old 01-24-2009 | 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
They may match the color but they won't be shooting it with Nano. The price is too high, should be around 3-3500.
Old 01-24-2009 | 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
They may match the color but they won't be shooting it with Nano. The price is too high, should be around 3-3500.
I guess it's one of those things that bug the hell outa me just because the car is so new and it should be that way. I'll just not look at that area anymore.
Old 01-26-2009 | 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by LZH
That price is absurd. Are you near LA ?? I know for a FACT that Beverly CoachCraft could do the flares ONLY for HALF that quote. They have done lots of work for me over the years and it is the best paintwork I have ever seen.
I only go to beverly coach craft as well Peter is a great guy and his company is the best around!

The thing is not even beverly coach craft can get the same nano (ceramicclear) paint. Its really only something the factory can do and after that there are clear coats that will bond with the surrounding nano paint but it wont be as strong.

So for this guys car he should just coat it now and live with the existing chips. Flares aways get chips as they are out exposed to the elements and all flying debris.
Old 01-26-2009 | 07:02 PM

WHT BS
Was he holding a machine gun when he gave you that price? I see that you are in sunny california but it doesnt say where. If you are in the los angeles area, Avio coach craft also does great work. I am not sure what they would charge for this kind of Job but it doesnt hurt to call and ask. You should definitely have your car wrapped after your re paint. I had my car wrapped a short while after I got mine, and even Ii have 2 ro 3 pits in my rear flares. Mine is not as wrapped as LZH's car but but relatively close to it. Congratulations on the new car and enjoy in good health.