CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Track Tires - Input about Brands that work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009 | 09:37 AM

CLK63 AMG Black Series, CL55 AMG, ML350, Audi S4
Track Tires - Input about Brands that work

I am planning on taking the Black to the track in the Spring. I really do not want to use the Pirelli's that are on it. I would rather use a dedicated track tire, preferably DOT so I don't have to haul another set of wheels and tires to the track. Has anyone had any experience with Hoosiers 265/35/19 (F) and 295/30/19 (R) or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 265/35/19 (F) and 305/30/19 (R). Toyo has a tire as well. My experience with Hoosiers is that they have a VERY stiff side wall and usualy require a much softer spring rate and then you need to stiffen the sway bar (assuming you can) to keep the roll rate under control. Obviously I would also have to adjust the bump and rebound as well. My experience with Michelins (I have only raced on the slicks) is that they are more comparable in side wall construction to the Pirrelli's that are on the car. I would like to keep the wheel rate about the same as is so I don't have to spend all weekend trying to find a set-up that works. If anyone has experience with the DOT's or for that matter a racing slick that works well with the Black I would appreciate your input as well as what set-up you used on the suspension, (dampers, ride height, toe, etc.
THANKS
Old 01-28-2009 | 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Here's what we've found from our track days so far. 1. The car needs a good alignment and 2.25 deg neg camber is the most you can dial in the front. 2. The rear toe's out and you need to correct that to toe in. Too low of ride height and you'll be on the bump stops, but you can remove one them. Don't go too low on the ride height especially with the front.
I've got the H&R springs that Evosport sells and you can tell the difference. Personally, I don't like MPSC, they require too much heat to work, and they are unpredicable with sudden break away at the limit. I'd be interested to hear how the Hosiers work, but with so many other changes your planning it maybe difficult tell what is what. I'd go with tires first then make one change at a time.
Old 01-28-2009 | 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
The Corsas work great IMO, I run 305's and I really like them.
Old 01-28-2009 | 08:35 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
I liked my Corsas as well, but they are only good for about 20 heat cycles then they are junk. Going to a Hoosier would be ideal. I'd get the springs and do a good 4 corner balance and alignment as Jimmy mentioned. Do a track day, THEN switch over to the Hoosiers so you can get an idea of just how much better the slicks are.
Old 01-28-2009 | 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH
I liked my Corsas as well, but they are only good for about 20 heat cycles then they are junk. Going to a Hoosier would be ideal. I'd get the springs and do a good 4 corner balance and alignment as Jimmy mentioned. Do a track day, THEN switch over to the Hoosiers so you can get an idea of just how much better the slicks are.
Luke, you crack me up man, 20 heat cycles??? who puts more than 20 heat cycles into a set of rubber? My car had about 20 or so laps put on it that day we were at Willow and the front left is about spent already (that track is brutal on FL's), I'll probably swap left to right, but they will be toast after another full day at that track.

BTW, are you going to be out there again next month? I'll be there.

I've never run the Michelins PSC's on my BS but have run them on my M3 and I don't like their feel as much as the Corsas.
Old 01-28-2009 | 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Just for the record, I like my Corsa's also. If I didn't drive to the track I'd have a set of Hoosiers which are good for 2 seconds over anything else except slicks.
Old 01-29-2009 | 01:52 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by jrcart
Luke, you crack me up man, 20 heat cycles??? who puts more than 20 heat cycles into a set of rubber?
I do, on the street. That's my point about the Corsas for a STREET car. They suck until you heat them up...then they are great but only for a little while due to traffic, etc. One weekend of hard driving and they are gone. The MPS is a much better compromise IMO. Sure the Corsa has more grip - but if you are pushing the BS on the street so hard that you actually notice the difference - well, you are driving like a maniac.

BTW, are you going to be out there again next month? I'll be there.
You bet I'm actually going out there tomorrow to run a 997 cup and a 430 Challenge...
Old 01-29-2009 | 02:36 PM
LZH
Banned

I'll probably swap left to right, but they will be toast after another full day at that track.
Jim - I was just reading this again....Aren't the Corsas directional ??? I don't think you can swap sides
Old 01-29-2009 | 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by LZH
Jim - I was just reading this again....Aren't the Corsas directional ??? I don't think you can swap sides
from what I hear directional only really refers to the channeling of water. So you can swap them left right and get anohter day out of the rubber. I did this with the Dunlop Super Sport Race (tire that came on the CLK DTM) and with the Nito NT-01. Being that I dont always go for the fastest time I tend to keep the tires until they wear down then I throw them out.

On a car like the CLK BS the drivers front will wear quite quickly. 2, 8 and 9 just destroy that tire.

The R888 and the Nitto NT-01/NT-05 are pretty solid tires. They last a bit longer than the others I have used and they are very predictable.

I dont know if they come in a size that will work for the BS.
Old 01-30-2009 | 01:29 AM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
from what I hear directional only really refers to the channeling of water. So you can swap them left right and get anohter day out of the rubber.

maybe i'm loosing my mind but i don't think this tire can be swapped side to side....please someone correct me if i'm wrong ???

Old 01-30-2009 | 03:13 AM

WHT BS
Originally Posted by LZH
maybe i'm loosing my mind but i don't think this tire can be swapped side to side....please someone correct me if i'm wrong ???

You are correct Luke. You arent supposed to swap directional tires from side to side. That is why they are considered DIRECTIONAL. Just $.02.