CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

new M3 vs CLK BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by SMP
As long as you don't bring up someones Nordschleife lap times, it sure does .

You seem to be the perfect guy to answer my question, since both of us had the same cars. I assume your M3 was SMG? The way I remember, my M3 shifted much quicker and harsher than the M6. I know it's now the SMG2, but when I selected the next gear up on my M3, it was like bang and that gear was in. In order to make it smoother, you had to lift slightly. Maybe it's too long ago, but the M6 takes it's sweet time in comparison to change gears and there is no more need to lift. Could be just me, but was curious if you had the same experience?

Yeah I had an E46 M3 with SMG and my vague recollection is similiar to yours.
I would slightly ease off to upshift. My M6 seemed less dramatic and I didn't have to back off the accelerator. Though I had a CLS55 between the M3 and M6 so it's kind of hard to accurately compare them.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by LZH
Since you've focused this comparison based on track times/performance only - my REAL WORLD discussion referred that which you admit you have not yet done - track them all. Until that time comes, your argument/opinion are just as meaningless and "dumb" as you seem to think mine are.

I didn't see the M3 or the M6 in your sig line. Are you telling me that you currently own the E92 M3 ? Which M3 do you/have you own/owned ??

If that's the impression you got from me that's not my intent. I only referenced track times after people repeatedly stated the M3 incapable of matching a CLK63. And the Nurburgring is the ultimate test. So that seemed to be a reference point everyone could agree on but apparently I was mistaken.

I obviously prefer the CLK to the M or I would have waited a couple of months and bought the bimmer (or almost two for the price of the Merc).
The point I am trying to make is that the M3 is a worthy adversary to the CLK63 BS. It is a great car with a great lineage and no one should be scoffing at the idea it could run with a Mercedes.
How much do you think an M3 would cost if they only made 500?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by chiphomme
I would slightly ease off to upshift. My M6 seemed less dramatic and I didn't have to back off the accelerator. Though I had a CLS55 between the M3 and M6 so it's kind of hard to accurately compare them.
How does your GTR feel compared to your BS?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I think we all agree that the M3 and the BS are fabulous cars in their own rights. The M3 offers a great value vs. performance while the BS offers a more dedicated approach to performance. Afterall, it's the options available to us consumers that make this very interesting.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
How does your GTR feel compared to your BS?

I have only driven the GT-R in winter conditions so take this for what it's worth.
The GT-R is significantly quicker to 100, it shifts up and down seamlessly much faster, and it’s more practical. Since it is winter I don't have that much to say about handling. I like all the wiz bang gadgets but the interior material isn't in the same league as the CLK63. The exhaust sounds like a vacuum cleaner and the dry sump and light flywheel cause a rattling noise when idling (which is annoying).
It's also a really strange car to drive. I thought it would make me more anonymous than when I am in my Black but I was mistaken. I am followed constantly. I had a kid follow me into my parking garage at 2 am to just look at it. I bet I have someone follow me home or to work 3 or 4 times a week.
It's freakin creepy.

The car is growing on me though. At first there was no contest between it and the Mercedes. Now, though, I would have a hard timee parting with it.
I was suppose to sell the Mercedes in order to rationalize buying the Nissan but I haven't quite been able to.

Last edited by chiphomme; 02-17-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
So you had an E46, but have never owned or driven an E92 yet think because of what you read in a magazine and numbers on paper it will hang with a Black Series ? C'mon dude....
I'll say this again because you clearly missed it the first time around. I have driven them both....on the street and on the track. The M3 is a very well balanced car and I like it. But, it's no match for the Black Series; on the street, or on the track. The low torque high revving motor makes it difficult to drive around town without wringing it's neck. The Black Series on the other hand has enough torque to make it easily drivable around town....it's only drawback is it's rather firm suspension setup. But, that is what makes it such a great track car....not to mention the heavy duty mechanicals that allow it to run lap after lap without failure. Combine those things with the exclusivity of the Black Series and comparing the 2 makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by LZH
So you had an E46, but have never owned or driven an E92 yet think because of what you read in a magazine and numbers on paper it will hang with a Black Series ? C'mon dude....
I'll say this again because you clearly missed it the first time around. I have driven them both....on the street and on the track. The M3 is a very well balanced car and I like it. But, it's no match for the Black Series; on the street, or on the track. The low torque high revving motor makes it difficult to drive around town without wringing it's neck. The Black Series on the other hand has enough torque to make it easily drivable around town....it's only drawback is it's rather firm suspension setup. But, that is what makes it such a great track car....not to mention the heavy duty mechanicals that allow it to run lap after lap without failure. Combine those things with the exclusivity of the Black Series and comparing the 2 makes no sense whatsoever.

Did I say I haven't driven an E92? Sorry Duuude but I have.
And I will repeat, the M3 is a direct competitor to the CLK63.
They both have have strong points and weak points (the whole reason I joined this thread). The Mercedes has more power and the bimmer has a better tranny and is lighter.
The fact you say there is no competition for the Black series probably makes this a wasted effort.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
And I will repeat, the M3 is a direct competitor to the CLK63.
They both have have strong points and weak points (the whole reason I joined this thread). The Mercedes has more power and the bimmer has a better tranny and is lighter.
The fact you say there is no competition for the Black series probably makes this a wasted effort.
I think one of the problems here is your repeated use of the term "direct competitor" which in my mind means something more than just performance. the term must also take into account to who the vehicle is marketed and what it is being marketed as. There are lots of cars with comparable performance which are not direct competitors. I have no problem when you say you think the M3 is a worthy adversary on the track, even though I may not necessarily agree. But the bottom line is the M3's direct competition is the C63 and RS4. The M3 may be the best performer of that group and the C63 may be the most comfortable, but thats the "direct" competition for a new car buyer. The BS's direct competitor is the GT3. There may be other cars that can compete with a BS in one category or another (be it performance, comfort or expense) but the "direct" competitor is the GT3. The M3 is simply not a direct competitor of the BS regardless of performance numbers.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Lemme guess, ehhhhhh....on a test drive before you bought your BS, right ??

Last edited by LZH; 02-18-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH
Lemme guess, ehhhhhh....on a test drive before you bought your BS, right ??
I did. If the black series market hadn't softened I would have probably bought it too. The E92 M3 is a great car but I didn't think there was any comparison. They say it will run similar lap times, and that may be true, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by ET550
I think one of the problems here is your repeated use of the term "direct competitor" which in my mind means something more than just performance. the term must also take into account to who the vehicle is marketed and what it is being marketed as. There are lots of cars with comparable performance which are not direct competitors. I have no problem when you say you think the M3 is a worthy adversary on the track, even though I may not necessarily agree. But the bottom line is the M3's direct competition is the C63 and RS4. The M3 may be the best performer of that group and the C63 may be the most comfortable, but thats the "direct" competition for a new car buyer. The BS's direct competitor is the GT3. There may be other cars that can compete with a BS in one category or another (be it performance, comfort or expense) but the "direct" competitor is the GT3. The M3 is simply not a direct competitor of the BS regardless of performance numbers.

My issue isn't necessarily that someone would feel that way its that they would scoff at the idea of an M3 as being a consideration or that the M3 isn't in the same realm. We can go round and round (as we have) but my opinion isn't swayed by the "exclusivity" arguement and many aren't swayed by my performance arguement.
I have tried to make it clear that I prefer the CLK but the M3 was on my radar when I bought the Merc.. I just don't get what is so absurd about that?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
My issue isn't necessarily that someone would feel that way its that they would scoff at the idea of an M3 as being a consideration or that the M3 isn't in the same realm. We can go round and round (as we have) but my opinion isn't swayed by the "exclusivity" arguement and many aren't swayed by my performance arguement.
I have tried to make it clear that I prefer the CLK but the M3 was on my radar when I bought the Merc.. I just don't get what is so absurd about that?
I dont think its absurd that you considered an M3 when looking at the BS just as the OP wasnt absurd for asking his question. I just dont think most other people do and therefore I do not view it as a direct competitor. There is no terminology that will cover everyones preferences. However I think I have come up with a simple logical equation to sway you.

It cannot be argued that the direct competitors for an M3 cab are the CLK63 cab and RS4 cab. Therefore if the direct competitor of the M3 cab = CLK63 cab then the direct competitor of the M3 cab + fixed roof = CLK63 cab + fixed roof i.e M3 coupe = CLK 63 coupe (ie non BS, european availability only), and therefore the direct competitor of the M3 coupe does not equal the CLK 63 BS. In other words, adding a fixed roof to the M3 cab does not make it leapfrog the CLK 63 coupe into a direct competitor of the BS. I rest my case.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
What else would he say? Hey we're designing a $138k car to beat up on a $70k car? He's a marketing guy.
Chip,
He could of said it's more fun and almost as fast as a Pagani Zonda and 1/2 the price if he was a "marketing guy".
Jimmy
Old 02-18-2009, 01:20 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series, CL55 AMG, ML350, Audi S4
It cannot be argued that the direct competitors for an M3 cab are the CLK63 cab and RS4 cab. Therefore if the direct competitor of the M3 cab = CLK63 cab then the direct competitor of the M3 cab + fixed roof = CLK63 cab + fixed roof i.e M3 coupe = CLK 63 coupe (ie non BS, european availability only), and therefore the direct competitor of the M3 coupe does not equal the CLK 63 BS. In other words, adding a fixed roof to the M3 cab does not make it leapfrog the CLK 63 coupe into a direct competitor of the BS. I rest my case.[/quote][/COLOR]

After 138 total posts - ET550, you have absolutely put it into perspective. Concise, articulate, informative and correct. Something we don't see much of.

Last edited by selynn; 02-18-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by ET550
I dont think its absurd that you considered an M3 when looking at the BS just as the OP wasnt absurd for asking his question. I just dont think most other people do and therefore I do not view it as a direct competitor. There is no terminology that will cover everyones preferences. However I think I have come up with a simple logical equation to sway you.

It cannot be argued that the direct competitors for an M3 cab are the CLK63 cab and RS4 cab. Therefore if the direct competitor of the M3 cab = CLK63 cab then the direct competitor of the M3 cab + fixed roof = CLK63 cab + fixed roof i.e M3 coupe = CLK 63 coupe (ie non BS, european availability only), and therefore the direct competitor of the M3 coupe does not equal the CLK 63 BS. In other words, adding a fixed roof to the M3 cab does not make it leapfrog the CLK 63 coupe into a direct competitor of the BS. I rest my case.
So now that most of us can agree that the E92 is not a direct competitor to the Black Series. I'd like to know which car you guys think IS. GT-3, Aston Martin DBS, Ferrari 430, 599 ??
Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
I believe it competes well with the GT3, although there are more options (appointments) with the GT3.

The 599 is in a world by itself.

The DBS and 430 are beautiful but not necessarily competitive with the BS.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:54 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by LZH
So now that most of us can agree that the E92 is not a direct competitor to the Black Series. I'd like to know which car you guys think IS. GT-3, Aston Martin DBS, Ferrari 430, 599 ??
Didn't you say there aren't any competitors?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 PM
LZH
Banned

Didn't you say there aren't any competitors?
Yes, I did. That's why I asked OTHER MEMBERS WHAT THEY THOUGHT .
Old 02-18-2009, 03:08 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by LZH
Yes, I did. That's why I asked OTHER MEMBERS WHAT THEY THOUGHT .
Why? So you can go round and round with them too?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Why? So you can go round and round with them too?
lol
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH
Can't speak for anyone else, but the only car that I considered buying was a GT3. To me, both cars are aimed at the same market segment. Every day practicality with a focus on track capabilities based on an off the shelf platform.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by selynn
[/COLOR]

They make an RS4 cab? What does it look like...I want one!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
I had a deposit on a GT3rs when I bought the BS. So, yes I think its clearly a GT3 and the low end Aston.
Jimmy
Old 02-18-2009, 06:24 PM

I don't think the BS wins out over the RS, except maybe for daily use with the slushbox and seats. (I have one of each)
Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
It obviously depends on what you want from the car but I think it's main rivals are (in order of performance):

-M3
-M6
-R8
-997 Turbo
-GTR

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new M3 vs CLK BS