CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Cams, head work etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
Cams, head work etc

So are any of the tuners working on a cam, ported polished and maybe decked heads or anything else for the BS? I would like to know if we will see some 550whp n/a no nos on the bs with some heads, cams and the evo sport pkg already out? I know a buddy did intake, longtubes, ecu, cams, decked ported heads on his z06 and is making 570whp which was a 130whp gain over stock. I was under the impression that the ls7 was pretty high strung already so maybe this can be done to the high strung 6.2 as well? Also saw the post on the 620whp nos clk63 which must be one fast car and wonder what type of system that was and also how safe the motor and tranny are?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:28 PM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
So are any of the tuners working on a cam, ported polished and maybe decked heads or anything else for the BS? I would like to know if we will see some 550whp n/a no nos on the bs with some heads, cams and the evo sport pkg already out? I know a buddy did intake, longtubes, ecu, cams, decked ported heads on his z06 and is making 570whp which was a 130whp gain over stock. I was under the impression that the ls7 was pretty high strung already so maybe this can be done to the high strung 6.2 as well? Also saw the post on the 620whp nos clk63 which must be one fast car and wonder what type of system that was and also how safe the motor and tranny are?
i made a set of turbo cams for the car as well as head work. The heads are amazing from the factory. they need some clean up work from the cast and some bowl work. A good valve job will help but cams and springs will help a lot. There is no duration on the stock cams which limits mid lift flow and limits the motor from making power past maybe 7200rpm. the valve speed from open to close is very fast. Making a set of n/a cams is just as easy. The tuning part i havent dealt with yet and im sure its going to be a tough one but we'll see what happens. you cant deck a over head cam head like you can on an over head valve because the timing cover wont line up when you try to bolt it up. I believe the ls7 motor has something like 64cc chambers, and the m156 motor has 50.2cc chambers so you dont really want to go further anyways.

Last edited by TTAMG; 06-20-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by TTAMG
i made a set of turbo cams for the car as well as head work. The heads are amazing from the factory. they need some clean up work from the cast and some bowl work. A good valve job will help but cams and springs will help a lot. There is no duration on the stock cams which limits mid lift flow and limits the motor from making power past maybe 7200rpm. the valve speed from open to close is very fast. Making a set of n/a cams is just as easy. The tuning part i havent dealt with yet and im sure its going to be a tough one but we'll see what happens. you cant deck a over head cam head like you can on an over head valve because the timing cover wont line up when you try to bolt it up. I believe the ls7 motor has something like 64cc chambers, and the m156 motor has 50.2cc chambers so you dont really want to go further anyways.
All of that is just a few mm's away from being a foreign language to me!
Keep at your project, I know it will benefit me one day!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM

SL65 AMG
Thanks for the info, I guess my idea of a 550whp clk63 is going to need to be on nos or FI.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:40 AM

2011 C63
lol yea its easier then it sounds. You can easily make 550 whp with a stock short block and all that head work. It should make close to 600whp or more if you keep the same compression and do all that head work i can promise that. Maybe one of the guys one day with a stock motor will pull the heads off and i can make another set with n/a cams and see how it does. the secret is getting these motors to rev higher then 7200rpm. it will shift the power graph over and higher when you compare dyno runs. the stock internals can easily handle that power too.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:45 AM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
this is getting very interesting. Can't wait to see some crazy projects with the BS
Old 07-07-2009, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
What TT is saying is 100% correct. We had this project on paper, but the customer decided not to move forward. We use a one generation old f1 technology (came from Renault F1) CNC head porting and valve machine. It is awesome. Some great gains can be accomplished.

For cams, there is the cheap way and the right way. The cheap way is to use re-grind or weld-ups. The right way is to start with cold-forged billets from Turkey, then do a 1/2 model on a spintron with the combustion chamber to model what the best lift/duration is for the cam and head profile.

Lots of R&D to make a killer package. That is why it is expensive on a car-by-car basis and cheap for an LSx motor (lots of people buy them).

So yes, it is 100% doable. Someone just needs to WANT to do it and write the check.

thanks
Brad