CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Possible Future Owner with Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Possible Future Owner with Questions

Hello everyone,

I currently have an E320 CDI and an '08 Viper , both of which I love. I've been kicking around the idea of checking out the BS since I absolutely love the looks of the car. I'll admit, I've never had the opportunity to drive one yet so I'm not even sure I'll fall in love with it's driving dynamics, but I've read countless threads and reviews and think it's the kind of car I'd be into. So, my questions are as follows:

1) Are there any known defects to check out prior to purchase? Recalls to verify?

2) How maintenance intensive are these cars? One of the things I love about my Viper is that the maintenance expense does not deter you from driving and using the car. My MB tech has explained to me that they're not much, if any, more to maintain than my E-Class. Do you agree? He's stated that the CF rotors will last the life of the car if you're not tracking it, and the pads are no more expensive than a regular AMG car. If I do track the car, how much would it cost to do a FULL brake job on this car? Fluids and LOF along the same lines as my E as well? I'm just having a hard time believing this and scared to be hit with a couple three grand every year in maintenance (excluding tires of course). This is one of the main reasons I don't think I'll ever own a true "exotic". $5k for a clutch is simply rediculous to me (think Italian makes).

3) Is the car really THAT satisfying to drive? I'm a little nervous about having an auto transmission in a car of this caliber. If anyone here has owned a 997 911 turbo, how would you rate the "fun factor" between the two cars? I'm probably wrong in doing so, but the only other car I'd even consider right now is a 997 turbo, hence the reason I'm asking. Also, I doubt anyone here is a Gen IV Viper owner, but if there is, I'd be curious to know your perception of velocity between both cars. Gen IV's are capable of mid 3's to 60 and high 10's in the quarter, trapping near 130 mpg with the "top of the food chain" drivers, me excluded.

4) I absolutely love the Mars Red and wondered how many were produced in this color? Of those, how many were imported to the U.S.?

I love this forum, and thank anyone in advance who's able to give me some insight into this car. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The answer to some of your questions can be found on this link below.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...ing-up-bs.html

The rest you may want to do a search since it's been discussed before.

As far as the answer to questions # 3. There's only one way to find out....drive it yourself as this section is unbiased.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 63 AMG Black Series
To question #1. If you're not buying from a certified Benz dealer, it will be difficult to track the service records for the car you are interested in. So far, I have had only minor issues which were all covered under warranty. If your "dealer" cannot CPO the car, be weary. Fixing anything on an AMG is costly.

Question #2. Ware and tear on the car before you owned it. And what you do with it after you own it will make a huge difference in cost. As I'm sure you know. I have tracked mine 11 times on 3 different circuits. Tires, pads, rotors, and fluids have been the only tangible aspects. It is an MB after all. If you are planning to enjoy the car on the road specifically, these will all be moot till your regular service intervals. I think you could do the math if you drive the car the way it is meant to be driven. $$$$$

Question #3. This car is unlike any other MB you have driven. Steering response is tactile. Throttle response is race like. Handling is remarkable for a car that weighs as much as it does. Yet, suspension is infinitely adjustable to your style of driving. And it looks great doing all these things. The only weak point in my opinion is the transmission. It's a great automatic. But a mediocre Sequential Automatic. This is only because the transmission doesn't blip to match revs in downshifts. It's a big deal for me since a C63 will Blip and a BS won't. Some don't mind though.

Question #4. I have no idea what % of what colors were produced. Of the 5 colors, I have seen all but White. Mars Red looks great. I went for Obsidian Black.

Good luck on your hunt. If you chose to buy a BS. You will not be disappointed. For it's few short comings, it makes up in shear terror.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Simply out of curiosity, how much does a complete brake job, including rotors cost? I'm under the impression that the carbon ceramic rotors are in the $4k-$5k range.

I don't plan on tracking the car that much, if any. If I purchase from an individual, all service records from a MB dealer would be necessary for me to purchase the car. If I went that route, I'd look into a MB extended warranty. I'd also want the car looked over before purchase by a dealer in the area. A CPO car would be an option as well.

I obviously need to drive the car, but I'm so curious on how it stacks up to a 997 turbo. They are such different cars, but for some reason I'm comparing the two. It seems they're both in the upper 3 second to very low 4 second range to 60. I think they'll both do the 1/4 mile around 12 flat at around 118 mph (correct me if I'm wrong on this). Braking prowess appears to favor the BS, even when the 911 has the optional CS brakes. I'm not sure how the two differ on handling, however. Also not sure if there's a difference in durability/reliability, comfort or build quality. I really like the turbo, but wish I had the money to go for a GT2. If I was in the market for a $200k car, that would be it.

I drive my cars, and don't buy them to enjoy looking at them in the garage. I always take into consideration the durability/reliability of any car I purchase because I do drive them as they were intended (albeit, this one may not be tracked often).

By the way (and completely off topic), I recently saw a couple SL 65 AMG Black Series driving down the road, and one at a local dealer. If money were not a factor, THAT would be my car (along with the GT2 and my Viper)! These BS cars that MB puts out are stunning vehicles!

Anyways, thanks for the insight so far. It has been greatly appreciated!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by PackerFan
Simply out of curiosity, how much does a complete brake job, including rotors cost? I'm under the impression that the carbon ceramic rotors are in the $4k-$5k range.

I don't plan on tracking the car that much, if any. If I purchase from an individual, all service records from a MB dealer would be necessary for me to purchase the car. If I went that route, I'd look into a MB extended warranty. I'd also want the car looked over before purchase by a dealer in the area. A CPO car would be an option as well.

I obviously need to drive the car, but I'm so curious on how it stacks up to a 997 turbo. They are such different cars, but for some reason I'm comparing the two. It seems they're both in the upper 3 second to very low 4 second range to 60. I think they'll both do the 1/4 mile around 12 flat at around 118 mph (correct me if I'm wrong on this). Braking prowess appears to favor the BS, even when the 911 has the optional CS brakes. I'm not sure how the two differ on handling, however. Also not sure if there's a difference in durability/reliability, comfort or build quality. I really like the turbo, but wish I had the money to go for a GT2. If I was in the market for a $200k car, that would be it.

I drive my cars, and don't buy them to enjoy looking at them in the garage. I always take into consideration the durability/reliability of any car I purchase because I do drive them as they were intended (albeit, this one may not be tracked often).

By the way (and completely off topic), I recently saw a couple SL 65 AMG Black Series driving down the road, and one at a local dealer. If money were not a factor, THAT would be my car (along with the GT2 and my Viper)! These BS cars that MB puts out are stunning vehicles!

Anyways, thanks for the insight so far. It has been greatly appreciated!

The BS does not have carbon ceramic rotors, a complete job will run about $2400 (4 MB rotors and 2 sets of pads), there are no aftermarket front rotors that I am aware of so you have to pay MB prices on the fronts. I would suggest investing in the lightweight 2-piece rear rotors that Evosport offers rather than the heavy 1-piece OEM units. The OEM MB pads are great for street/track use, even moderate to heavy track use.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 PM

CLK63 BS, Panamera, Prius, Mini Cooper S

I had a 997 turbo tip. The BS is probably not as fast as the turbo but it easily has twice the fun factor. Since you love your E and the Viper, you will love the BS. The BS is like the E and the Viper merged together, with some 997 GT3 thrown in for handling.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I don't see how you'd need to replace rotors in the first 50,000 miles, unless you track constantly. I'm at 21,000 fairly aggressive miles, and haven't even changed pads.

I had a cam sensor act up transiently at about 3,000 miles, replaced instantly under warranty
I have a 996X50 with reprogram, and altered suspension and exhaust. I've tested the 997tt, and don't find it better than my car. The BS is much sportier and has become my daily driver til the snow flies, then the tt goes on 4 snow tires and serves thru the winter. I don't think the tt feels faster at all below 90mph, as the quick auto downshifts really propel you thru traffic much more than the tt. And, BS handling is much more fun with much better turn-in and much more throttle control of steering. The tt never escapes its awd characteristics.
With today's prices, it is hard to go wrong with a BS, unless your surrounding roads are really terrible, or your license is in danger. If you love the E class< I would recommend you hang on to it, as it is much more comfortable for long highway trips. The Porsche won't be great for those either. AS
Old 09-03-2009, 12:25 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Thanks for the responses guys. I will be keeping the E since it's one of our daily drivers. Since I started this thread, I came into thinking more heavily about a Ruf R 993 turbo instead of the 997. Now, I guess their both in the running against the BS. Heck, at one point I was even considering a GT-R.

I think the reality is I'll probably have one of the Porsche's and the BS within the next few years if all goes ok. They're both just awesome cars. I've got time to think about it, but having a really hard time with this. Alexander, thanks for the statement about the brakes. That's good to know, even thou I was incorrect in thinking the BS had carbon ceramic brake rotors.

The good thing is, trying to figure out your next car really is fun and exciting. A lot of us are just plain lucky to have such dilemnas in life. As a kid, I never thought I'd be able to drive an E Class everyday, have a Viper in the garage and be trying to pick between a Porsche turbo or Black Series. Funny thing is, I have a business associate who's driving himself crazy right now thinking about taking the plunge on a new SL65 BS right now!

Anyways, thanks again for all the comments.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:41 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Thanks for the responses guys. I will be keeping the E since it's one of our daily drivers. Since I started this thread, I came into thinking more heavily about a Ruf R 993 turbo instead of the 997. Now, I guess their both in the running against the BS. Heck, at one point I was even considering a GT-R.

I think the reality is I'll probably have one of the Porsche's and the BS within the next few years if all goes ok. They're both just awesome cars. I've got time to think about it, but having a really hard time with this. Alexander, thanks for the statement about the brakes. That's good to know, even thou I was incorrect in thinking the BS had carbon ceramic brake rotors.

The good thing is, trying to figure out your next car really is fun and exciting. A lot of us are just plain lucky to have such dilemnas in life. As a kid, I never thought I'd be able to drive an E Class everyday, have a Viper in the garage and be trying to pick between a Porsche turbo or Black Series. Funny thing is, I have a business associate who's driving himself crazy right now thinking about taking the plunge on a new SL65 BS right now!

Anyways, thanks again for all the comments.
After recently purchasing a loaded 06 C280 4 Matic for a daily driver I have now parked my SL55 and BS for the upcoming winter. However, they will still get exercised on nice week-end days and nights. Both cars have held-up extremely well to-date.

FYI, some have said the CLK body style is "old" but I most strongly disagree with them. IMHO the CLK63 BS will always be a very desirable car to own (and yes collect) because it is the end of the CLK line, its the first BS to be imported into the USA, it's body style is unique (it looks custom) and its a blast to drive (I too have owned several P-cars in the past)! If you're still thinking of the BS it's a GREAT car that will provide you with many years of "fun to drive" exciting enjoyment. That's what I expect out of mine!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:36 PM

CLK63 Black, 2006 Ford GT
Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
IMHO the CLK63 BS will always be a very desirable car to own (and yes collect) because it is the end of the CLK line, its the first BS to be imported into the USA, it's body style is unique (it looks custom) and its a blast to drive (I too have owned several P-cars in the past)! If you're still thinking of the BS it's a GREAT car that will provide you with many years of "fun to drive" exciting enjoyment. That's what I expect out of mine!
I recently purchased a Black & thought the price I paid was in line; $50K+ below the 2008 sticker price. With each new model year, prices on Blacks will come down & while the car is unique, it's a long way off before it'll be a "collector car" (if ever). I knew going into this car that it's going to devalue like crazy, but that's ok, I plan on driving it & enjoying it for what it is.

Looking at the asking prices are & what they are not selling for (on fleabay & autotrader), I'd estimate that real world pricing on a low mileage Black to be $76-80K. Come next spring, I'll bet mid-high 60s.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Originally Posted by Riley Martin
I recently purchased a Black & thought the price I paid was in line; $50K+ below the 2008 sticker price. With each new model year, prices on Blacks will come down & while the car is unique, it's a long way off before it'll be a "collector car" (if ever). I knew going into this car that it's going to devalue like crazy, but that's ok, I plan on driving it & enjoying it for what it is.

Looking at the asking prices are & what they are not selling for (on fleabay & autotrader), I'd estimate that real world pricing on a low mileage Black to be $76-80K. Come next spring, I'll bet mid-high 60s.
...... according to some of the other experts that show up here from time to time and drop turds about falling prices (usually they don't have one yet, but I see you do....) they were already supposed to be at $60K ..... a while ago! Fact is, nobody knows for sure and while I appreciate your opinion I do hope you're wrong. I too didn't buy mine thinking the value would go up or even stay near where it was when we bought it over 18 months ago - it's not an investment (well, it is an investment in the fun I get from it!). I do think you're wrong about the collectibility comment.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by chuck z
...... according to some of the other experts that show up here from time to time and drop turds about falling prices (usually they don't have one yet, but I see you do....) they were already supposed to be at $60K ..... a while ago! Fact is, nobody knows for sure and while I appreciate your opinion I do hope you're wrong. I too didn't buy mine thinking the value would go up or even stay near where it was when we bought it over 18 months ago - it's not an investment (well, it is an investment in the fun I get from it!). I do think you're wrong about the collectibility comment.
I just came back from a nice spirited ride on some nice NH back roads as a matter of fact. Man, I really like this car!

You're right; 60s is too low right now, but based on how all othe AMGs plummet in value, Blacks just can't escape unscathed.

I've often said that nothing depreciates faster than a Chrysler product, but somehow in the merger, Chrysler's big time depreciation seems to have rubbed off on the MB products. But let's face it, AMGs are pretty overpriced to begin with.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Don't worry about re-sale guys, Chuck Z will keep the AMG values up as he builds his stable!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I think you stop worrying about depreciation if you just keep the car. Stocks and bonds depreciated more, particularly if you factor in a use value. For me, it was never about investment, only the opportunity to enjoy a once-a-decade type of car.
I missed buying an L88 Corvette when I was a kid. This is like that. I don't know what will be worth anything in 10 years, but I do know what the enjoyment is worth now. AS
Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Don't worry about re-sale guys, Chuck Z will keep the AMG values up as he builds his stable!
$ cost averaging......
Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by chuck z
$ cost averaging......

It works in the stock market .... well, it used to.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
i was watching some car auction TV shows, and they came to a 94 Porsche 911 Turbo. They said they made about 450 for the US, and around 1100 total. MSRP was around 100k. Future value was supposed to be decent due to it being the last air-cooled turbo or something like that. It sounded eerily similar to the BS. So that being said, it might be a good barometer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-Po...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 09-05-2009, 07:40 AM

Now here's a car where (in my opinion) the owner has spent a lot of money, but has seriously comprimesed the value of the car....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...=p4506.c0.m245

Check out that suede interior. Could this really be the first Black whose true value realy is in the 60K range?

Last edited by Riley Martin; 09-05-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Gotta love the W209 Chassis!
Old 09-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Riley Martin
Now here's a car where (in my opinion) the owner has spent a lot of money, but has seriously comprimesed the value of the car....

Check out that suede interior. Could this really be the first Black whose true value really is in the 60K range?
Someone should really buy that car! It clearly says on the seller's description Original MSRP was $1138375!! LOL : p: One hell of a bargain!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
the seats are lightweight AMG seats from europe and cost a pretty penny.....i think someone on here has them and they were a few thousand each. As for the door panels, yes the black suede leather might not be for everyone, but i dont think it was done wrong.