CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Thinking Of Selling My Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public Transportation
Well then we will have to agree to disagree. I like you and respect your posts, but we just see differently on this issue.

I to hope that I am able to find a car that I am comfortable with.

Originally Posted by chuck z
I completely disagree with your first comment. I have bought and sold a whole bunch of cars (60+) in the last 15 years and ALWAYS sell them for what dealers do or more. That whole thing about dealer retail vs private party in most cases in bunk and any private party seller that buys into it leaves $ on the table especially if the car is up to date on maintenance and cosmetically in great shape. It's more about miles and condition rather than who's selling it. An example of this would be the 2005 E55 wagon we just bought. Bought it from a MB dealer who basically did nothing but detail the car and sell it. It was really no different than buying from a private party and I didn't pay more than I should have for the privilege of buying it from a dealer. The dealer vs. private party sale is probably proliferated by dealer associations to prop up prices for the membership? I especially disagree with it when it comes to limited production cars such as the BS. Personally, I'd rather buy a car from the owner b/c they can tell you about their ownership, how the car was cared for and history where a dealer will just shrug their shoulders and say "I don't know....". Of course you always risk someone (dealer or private party) taking it for one last "spin" in dyno mode and beatin the dog snot out of it....... Will buyers try and use it against sellers? Absolutely. Of course ultimately the final price will be determined by buyer and seller and how badly the other wants what the other has....

So if this car is worth $6-7k more then a realistic price would be $95-96k? That I agree with.

How long was the CPO warranty on the white car? 1 year? Why didn't you buy it? Frankly, I wouldn't want to pay the bump in $ for any CPO warranty, instead, I would buy an aftermarket warranty that will be much longer in term and cost about the same as the dealer is going to charge you for the CPO. I didn't want to pay the $4k the dealer wanted for the 2 yr CPO on the E55 so we bought a 5 year 70k mile Chrysler warranty for $3.2k.

I hope you get a BS and stick around after you do as I love to watch how opinions on price/value change AFTER someone buys one. Right Todd? This topic comes up a lot and buyers post the same sort of thing and owners post the same sort of thing......
Old 09-18-2009, 01:51 PM

Public Transportation
So here is the entire story.

When I was in Napa in June, I found the car on Autotrader at Walter's Mercedes. They advertised it for 89.9k and the ad said only "Make offer." I called them and offered 85. They declined my offer. I then asked the person what was their bottom line? He told me 89.9k. I then asked him why the ad said make offer. To this he offered no reply.

Anyway, I kept my eye on the car. I watched it drop from 89 to 88 and on to 87. A week or two later, I realized it was at 84.9 (this was maybe two weeks ago?). I called them on Monday and they said the car sold the day before at 83.9. Bottom line is that I missed it.

BTW, dealers tell me the CPO is 1500.

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Did you just miss it or do you have lower numbers in mind? That seems really attractive to me.

I agree with Chuck on the CPO, it's not worth the 3k +/- that they're adding to the price.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Originally Posted by forhamilton
Well then we will have to agree to disagree. I like you and respect your posts, but we just see differently on this issue.

I to hope that I am able to find a car that I am comfortable with.
Agreed and I feel likewise about you. We have a different bias as it relates to this subject. I truly hope you find the right car.

Best,
Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
was that for 1 year?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT

When I was in Napa in June, I found the car on Autotrader at Walter's Mercedes. They advertised it for 89.9k and the ad said only "Make offer." I called them and offered 85. They declined my offer. .... I called them on Monday and they said the car sold the day before at 83.9. Bottom line is that I missed it.

Same thing happened to me when I was looking.
They sold at a lower price than I originally offered. (Ticked me off too.)
If these guys would track their business they might make more profit.

I've never heard a CPO below 2.5 but that's here not there.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:03 PM

ZO6 TT
I looked at that car also, unfortunatley they offered me 10K less on my trade in than other dealers did.

When I was in Napa in June, I found the car on Autotrader at Walter's Mercedes. They advertised it for 89.9k and the ad said only "Make offer." I called them and offered 85. They declined my offer. I then asked the person what was their bottom line? He told me 89.9k. I then asked him why the ad said make offer. To this he offered no reply.

Anyway, I kept my eye on the car. I watched it drop from 89 to 88 and on to 87. A week or two later, I realized it was at 84.9 (this was maybe two weeks ago?). I called them on Monday and they said the car sold the day before at 83.9. Bottom line is that I missed it.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:14 PM

Wow thats a great price for a white BS & mileage & CPO. I also heard that CPO cost is $1500 for one year.

Forhamiliton, are you willing to get a vehicle with mileage above 10k? If so let me know.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:15 PM

Is anyone able to pull RECENT manheim numbers for this car? I think that would definately contribute to this topic!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS

Had a friend offer 85k in late July on the car and got the same response, pound sand.

They were into the car after recon for about 78-79k.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:37 PM

Public Transportation
Maybe. What is the color and condition? Is it yours? Price? PM me if you wish.

*edit* call me 361.688.1889

Originally Posted by ozz2002
Wow thats a great price for a white BS & mileage & CPO. I also heard that CPO cost is $1500 for one year.

Forhamiliton, are you willing to get a vehicle with mileage above 10k? If so let me know.

Last edited by forhamilton; 09-18-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:43 PM

Public Transportation
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Same thing happened to me when I was looking.
They sold at a lower price than I originally offered. (Ticked me off too.)
If these guys would track their business they might make more profit.
That's funny you say that. During that whole timeframe of me watching the car fall in price, I mentioned the same thing to Heidi. I could understand 2 or more years ago that they would not track that information better because they were too busy, but nowadays you would think they would do everything possible to follow every lead.

The dealers probably get all kinds of bull**** calls. I can only imagine. How do they really know if you are serious? I remember that I talked to Ruf in Dallas a few times and I started to get the feeling that they believed I was just blowing smoke. Then one day they got a Rturbo that I absolutely fell in love with. One phone call and wired the money the same day. Now our relationship is different and we have done multiple deals.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en

this car seems like a great deal/underpriced. As for pricing your relatively new car, i agree with Chuck. Start at mid 90's at least.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Is anyone able to pull RECENT manheim numbers for this car? I think that would definately contribute to this topic!
Why, very few actually have access to buy at auction.... Other than getting a base from which to add transportation, repairs, detailing, advertising, sales commissions and profit...... it means nothing to most.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:56 AM

You seem to be very opinionated...

Why, very few actually have access to buy at auction.... Other than getting a base from which to add transportation, repairs, detailing, advertising, sales commissions and profit...... it means nothing to most.
Why, because most dealers who are selling these cars purchased them either from auction or direct from owners. They, them selves used manheim auctions to run a valuation based upon those recent reports. That BASE price helps alot on this car.

Anyone can potentially have access to buy from an auction. There are plenty of brokers, and dealers who will facilitate the buying of a car, for a flat fee. In fact I am using one of these services currently, and there is a flat fee no matter if I bought a 2000 nissan maxima or the clk63BS.

Of course you also account for the transportation, repairs, detailing, advertising, sales commisions and profits. Of which, I, only need to pay for transportation. In addition to my flat fee.

I am not sure who his "most" you speak of, but there have been several posts in regards to manheim requests.

I was just asking for something that I thought would be valuable. If you thought otherwise, private message me and we can converse that way, not in the open forum.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
.....and you seem to be very defensive?

Why, because most dealers who are selling these cars purchased them either from auction or direct from owners. They, them selves used manheim auctions to run a valuation based upon those recent reports. That BASE price helps alot on this car.

Anyone can potentially have access to buy from an auction. There are plenty of brokers, and dealers who will facilitate the buying of a car, for a flat fee. In fact I am using one of these services currently, and there is a flat fee no matter if I bought a 2000 nissan maxima or the clk63BS.

Of course you also account for the transportation, repairs, detailing, advertising, sales commisions and profits. Of which, I, only need to pay for transportation. In addition to my flat fee.

I am not sure who his "most" you speak of, but there have been several posts in regards to manheim requests.

I was just asking for something that I thought would be valuable. If you thought otherwise, private message me and we can converse that way, not in the open forum.
That's what this forum is for, open discussion..... I didn't say anything I thought we'd need to go off line with, I just happen to have a dissenting opinion? When I say "most" I mean the majority of the car buyers in the market. You may be willing to take more risk by buying an auction car than most. By risk, I mean you're on the hook for any repairs the car may need immediately and you're likely not able to do a full inspection on the car b/f committing to buy one at an auction. What if it's been in a wreck that didn't show up on Carfax or Autocheck? I'm of the opinion the really nice cars end up on the dealers lot and that there is usually a reason a car goes to auction (besides lease return) instead of a dealers lot and personally I wouldn't be willing to take the risk. My issue with auction numbers is they get thrown around here as if they more to do with market value then they really do.

Last edited by user z478747; 09-20-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:21 PM

My issue with auction numbers is they get thrown around here as if they more to do with market value then they really do.
"Unlike real estate there is no credible verifiable way to determine "actual" selling prices of most cars. Except for auction prices of course and how many average Joe's have access to those prices and aren't most auction cars resold at "retail"? Low prices as they relate to these cars are usually quoted by potential buyers? Depends on which side of the transaction you are on....."

Im not throwing around any auction number. Simply making a request for a RECENT one. We all have access to for sale listings, through ebay, forums, cars.com, autotrader etc.

Its another tool for seeing what other "acutal" selling prices have been. Additionally there has been a few VERY nice cars that went on auction for the high 90's and very low miles. Even non black cars!

Dealers are paying higher prices now, because they were not as low as they were a few months back. The prices for the cars that are currently out are a direct reflection of this.

Of the several dealers I have contacted, they stated the prices at auction and what they are being traded for are in the mid 80's. Thats why we see numbers appearing in the high 80's for retail, and even higher numbers for cars, with lower miles and either 1 to 2 owners.

Your personal car, the one that was for sale, had low miles, and a meticulous owner. Of course this has an added value, in fact alot of added value. If I were in the higher spending range, I would of definitely inquired about it. I am not though and would not mind inquiring about an auction car.

Sometimes dealers look at these cars differently. It is a car that has a particular niche. Would they be willing to keep a high priced ticket item on their lot and take he risk of it not selling before interest payments have to be made on the loans? Or is the car for a client who has placed a deposit and is ready to move once they find the right vehicle.

I just want to see what see actual selling prices are since its is a verifiable source per even your words.

In another post I state how a factory car went for $87k at auction and than a few months later it was being sold on their lot for $78k. What happened in between there for this to happen. Accident? Problem with car itself? Or what and this was a nice reputable dealer, I saw the car myself and drove it.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
I take it the first paragraph is from a past post of mine? Pretty consistent huh? I say the same thing today.....

Wow, I can't focus on a response with that many points.... I will say I agree with many of your points.

I wasn't necessarily referring to you throwing around auction prices as you haven't been here long.... My guess is you are looking to buy right? Auction prices are wholesale and like I've said b/f, not many folks have access to wholesale/auction. You might, that's great so I can see why they might be more valuable to you than relevant to other folks. When I'm selling a car I pretty much dismiss anyone who starts down that road with me......

Buying directly from an auction even through a broker/dealer is a risky proposition at best. In the past, I've actually not bought cars b/c of an auction notation on the history. While I agree that times have changed and cars are now showing up at auction for reasons they may not have b/f, you still just never know.

Why didn't you buy the BS you mention in Atlanta? I'd be interested to here why?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Public Transportation
Tried to move on it yesterday. They want 92 for it. Said he was in the car "deep." I told him he was full of ****, as he just acquired the car and not a dealer on the planet is acquiring inventory at top dollar. He didn't really have a comment. I told him the first number is way off and to call me if he got in the low 80's.

Originally Posted by Doctodd33
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en

this car seems like a great deal/underpriced. As for pricing your relatively new car, i agree with Chuck. Start at mid 90's at least.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM

CLK63 Black, 2006 Ford GT
Tried to move on it yesterday. They want 92 for it. Said he was in the car "deep." I told him he was full of ****, as he just acquired the car and not a dealer on the planet is acquiring inventory at top dollar. He didn't really have a comment. I told him the first number is way off and to call me if he got in the low 80's.
At this point in time, I think low 80's fort a car with 3,000-8,000 miles is truly what the market value really is on these cars.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 AM

Audi RS4
many thanks to everyone and their advice. anyone interested or if you know anyone who might have an interest, please pm me, as i am offering my black/black BS with 100 miles, 4 years of warranty remaining, unregistered for $90k!
Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 AM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Good luck with the sale. My Black was just totaled. It was parked downtown SF and some drunk driver rammed right into it. Insurance told me it's a total loss at this point. If you had silver or white, I would be all over it even in the mid-90s.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 AM

Public Transportation
Really sorry to hear that. There are a ton of cars for sale at that price. Check switchcars.com. You should be able to pick up that car in the low to mid 80's and it is white!

Originally Posted by Frankster
Good luck with the sale. My Black was just totaled. It was parked downtown SF and some drunk driver rammed right into it. Insurance told me it's a total loss at this point. If you had silver or white, I would be all over it even in the mid-90s.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM

CLK63 Black, 2006 Ford GT
Here's a black Black that's being fire-saled on fleabay..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM

Audi RS4
wow, sorry to hear that! i agree, i too wanted white but extremely hard to find. good luck on your search!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
That sucks! Best of luck in your search.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking Of Selling My Black