CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Finally removed the charcoal filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 BS, Panamera, Prius, Mini Cooper S
Talking Finally removed the charcoal filter

I was not expecting much but I highly recommend this if you have not done this already. The throttle feels smoother/more responsive and definitely a noticeable gain in power. I am losing traction a little more readily as compared to before the removal.

Thinking of putting in the BMC filters next. If there is similar improvement as the charcoal filter removal, I would be very happy.

One interesting effect I noticed while normal(slow) driving is that the exhaust sound seems to have gotten a little smoother/quieter. Not too sure about this though. It could be because I am giving it less gas to get similar power as before.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
Just did the same thing today too. Also did a TPS reset. Car feels a bit more livelier.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by GeoGeo
Just did the same thing today too. Also did a TPS reset. Car feels a bit more livelier.
Please tell me about the TPS reset and how it is done!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Originally Posted by JLee
I was not expecting much but I highly recommend this if you have not done this already. The throttle feels smoother/more responsive and definitely a noticeable gain in power. I am losing traction a little more readily as compared to before the removal.

Thinking of putting in the BMC filters next. If there is similar improvement as the charcoal filter removal, I would be very happy.

One interesting effect I noticed while normal(slow) driving is that the exhaust sound seems to have gotten a little smoother/quieter. Not too sure about this though. It could be because I am giving it less gas to get similar power as before.
Where is the charcoal filter located? When I spoke to L.E.T about an ECU re-flash they suggested I remove the filter also.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
Where is the charcoal filter located? When I spoke to L.E.T about an ECU re-flash they suggested I remove the filter also.
If you take the air boxes apart to get to the air filters, flip over the top half of the box once you've unscrewed it from the base (where the air filters are located) and you'll see the charcoal filters.

Thought I read somewhere there is ~12 bhp after removing the charcoal filters? Perhaps someone might verify....
Old 10-11-2009, 04:55 PM

CLK BS
The actual gain is probably 3 hp...do a search, it's been covered before.

TPS reset:
1. get in car, close all doors
2. turn the key to ON position (but don't start!), then press the gas pedal all the way in for 5 seconds
3. keep gas pedal in while turn the key to off. THen take foot off gas, and wait for 2 minutes.
4. restart the car.

THere's some claim that this resets the throttle position, along the same line as resetting the ECU. However, I drove the car again today, not much difference. Also, it's been said that the ECU is quite powerful and learns / adjusts to your driving style. If you drive harder it'll responds better.

Seat of pants couldn't tell much difference, but the transmission seems more eager to kick down with any light thump on the throttle.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by chuck z
If you take the air boxes apart to get to the air filters, flip over the top half of the box once you've unscrewed it from the base (where the air filters are located) and you'll see the charcoal filters.

Thought I read somewhere there is ~12 bhp after removing the charcoal filters? Perhaps someone might verify....
It will be very hard to flip over the top part of the box unless you disconnect the part completely which is a lot more work. But if you look at the underside of the top part of the box, you will see the charcoal filter. It is held in place by the little black plastic tabs that stick out along the two long sides. If you pull on the charcoal filter gently so that it clears the plastic tabs, it pulls out pretty easily. Just be careful that you do not tear the delicate filter, otherwise it will get messy. Also, make sure to leave in the main air filter on the bottom.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by GeoGeo
The actual gain is probably 3 hp...do a search, it's been covered before.

TPS reset:
1. get in car, close all doors
2. turn the key to ON position (but don't start!), then press the gas pedal all the way in for 5 seconds
3. keep gas pedal in while turn the key to off. THen take foot off gas, and wait for 2 minutes.
4. restart the car.

THere's some claim that this resets the throttle position, along the same line as resetting the ECU. However, I drove the car again today, not much difference. Also, it's been said that the ECU is quite powerful and learns / adjusts to your driving style. If you drive harder it'll responds better.

Seat of pants couldn't tell much difference, but the transmission seems more eager to kick down with any light thump on the throttle.
Thanks!
Old 10-11-2009, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
It will be very hard to flip over the top part of the box unless you disconnect the part completely which is a lot more work.
You are correct but, I think it's only one connected wire that needs to be disconnected. Can't remember for sure as I haven't done mine yet. Is it really that difficult to disconnect?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 AM

You are correct but, I think it's only one connected wire that needs to be disconnected. Can't remember for sure as I haven't done mine yet. Is it really that difficult to disconnect?
To flip the box, the electronic sensor attachment and the air inlet attachment has to be disconnected. To disconnect the passenger side electronic sensor attachment(the driver side attachment can be taken out by accessing the top of the attachment), the box actually has to be flipped over to get to the underside of the attachment, which cannot be done unless you remove the shock tower brace.

I am sure there are tricks you can use but I was not too familiar with the process involved and did not want to chance breaking anything by using too much force in the wrong way.

I actually removed the shock tower brace and all that and removed the charcoal filter on the table, which I would not do if I had to do it again.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:38 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
To flip the box, the electronic sensor attachment and the air inlet attachment has to be disconnected. To disconnect the passenger side electronic sensor attachment(the driver side attachment can be taken out by accessing the top of the attachment), the box actually has to be flipped over to get to the underside of the attachment, which cannot be done unless you remove the shock tower brace.

I am sure there are tricks you can use but I was not too familiar with the process involved and did not want to chance breaking anything by using too much force in the wrong way.

I actually removed the shock tower brace and all that and removed the charcoal filter on the table, which I would not do if I had to do it again.
There is no need to remove the strut tower brace. I changed my stock airbox for a carbon fiber unit with the strut tower brace in place. Just unplug the sensors for the left and right bank and loosen the clamps on the rubber intake. Only if you want to change the box the sensors have to be removed and transferred. Takes about 10 minutes.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by SMP
There is no need to remove the strut tower brace. I changed my stock airbox for a carbon fiber unit with the strut tower brace in place. Just unplug the sensors for the left and right bank and loosen the clamps on the rubber intake. Only if you want to change the box the sensors have to be removed and transferred. Takes about 10 minutes.
Yes, if I had to do it again I would do it the simple way.

The first time, I did not know how easy/hard it would be to loosen the charcoal filter. I did this procedure on an E60 M5 before, and on that car, you almost had to break some plastic to get the charcoal filter out as it was held in place by metal clips.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 AM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
I seem to recall a thread some time ago that had pictures showing how to remove the air box and filters, including screw locations and sensor removal. Maybe someone else has the same recollection or is better at doing a search.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by ET550
I seem to recall a thread some time ago that had pictures showing how to remove the air box and filters, including screw locations and sensor removal. Maybe someone else has the same recollection or is better at doing a search.
First, remove the front cover (the one that has the MB star on it) of the airbox by lifting it up. Take the plastic covers off the left and right MAF, also by lifting it up. Disconnect the plugs for the right and left MAF sensors. Driverside is easier, push down the tab in the middle of the plug and pull off at the same time. Passenger side has the tab to push down on the other side towards the intake manifold. Loosen the 2 clamps that connect the airbox to the rubber intake. Remove the 5 torx screws from each airbox and pull it off the rubber intake. Done.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Here are the pictures I posted last time.
Attached Images   
Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That sounds abour right. Brian@GT PRO just did a dyno a couple weeks ago on a C63 and gained 10 HP (forget if that was crank or wheel) from the removal of the charcoals.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:57 PM

Public Transportation
Can you post these larger please? Thanks.
Originally Posted by SMP
Here are the pictures I posted last time.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 PM

2003 Clk55
is the removal process about the same on a w209 clk55? I changed the filters before and dont remember seeing any other filter
Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 PM

CLK Black Series
fun

that was fun! What else can we do?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by hughes369
that was fun! What else can we do?
Well, after the BMC filter, which I have not done yet, I am thinking of spacers to push the wheels out a little(10 -12mm) and maybe lower the car ~1 inch.

After that I think I will be pretty much done. Do not want to go the route of reflashing the ecu and exhaust yet.