CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Any reason this car hasn't sold??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG 030
Any reason this car hasn't sold??

At half the price of new how is this still for sale? The grill and side markers are a nice touch. Has anyone seen this car in person , it looks to be in good shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CERTI...t_17708wt_1167
Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Lemon law buyback. Check the "History Reports" tab.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:17 PM

2011 C63
How much you guys think this car is worth given the situation it is in? I know it was bought through Manheim for a little over 64k.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by jmf003
Lemon law buyback. Check the "History Reports" tab.
makes sense I never even looked at that but if a MB dealer has does this mean its fixed but will always have that buy back title?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:50 PM

S500
its still 70K. still a nice chunk of change. Too much for a lemon buy back I think.

A friend bought a lemon Range Rover HSE last year. got it pretty cheap was a 06 with 40k and he paid 18k I think. all other certifieds were going for about 20k more. And from what I remember the title didnt have anything on it, but he was given some papers where the truck was designated as a lemon buy back also car fax would show this. HE had a butt load of problems with it. after 5k in repairs in the first 6 months he sold it for 14k lost almost 10k on it.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 PM

They have had the car for roughly 2 months now, take a few weeks. If it was had for $64k, than they are in over there heads, if they plan to make a decent markup after all the fees associated with it. It has mileage, and the buyback to account for. Additionally when lemons occur, its hard to diagnose the main issue unless your able to contact the original servicing dealer for records. It could be more than a transmission leak.

Than again someone might take the leap into, decide to mod it and never have a care about warranty or resale value until a few years down the road.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
What concerns me is the fact that a BS was documented as a "lemon". That doesn't speak well for its reliability, especially a car of this caliber. I plan to keep my BS for a very long time so I prey this kind of unfortunate situation does not strike again.

And hell no, with this history you'd be crazy to buy this particular car for 70k...I wouldn't touch it for any $, IMHO.

Last edited by GeoGeo; 10-12-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 AM

They paid too much for that car IMHO. They are going to lose money on that one for sure. The lemon status is not going to go over well with most buyers.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Honestly, I don't see the CLK63 BS as a "complicated" car. It doesn't have the air suspension, the engine is a naturally aspirated v8, and the transmission isn't some fancy wet clutch or dual clutch setup.
The problem of there being a transmission oil leak is a minor one, and I really don't think there could be much to any additional fixes if something were wrong -- especially considering its certified so it still has full warranty. If the tranny needed to be completed replaced, it would still be covered by Mercedes warranty.
It simply sounds like someone just tried to get out of the car easily and used the buy-back as the method of doing it.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 AM

Fantasm

You are right about it not being a complicated car. We do know the main issue it was lemoned is because of transmission oil leak. What we do not know, like other mercedes vehicle, is that can be a whole array of issues, typically 3 or so that can get it to be lemoned. In California, the laws are more lenient than say in Maryland.

It is a good scenario for the owner to get out of the car, but even so from my understanding, they base the actual refund amount on miles and time. I had some experience with this and read up on others experience as well.

Anyhow, considering the only other black series with high miles that is for sale, his asking price is $75k with room, that I am sure of. So for this to still be asking into the $70k mark is high. Something into the 60's after some further investigating is more ideal. Really if it got to the $67k mark, Id scoop it up and turn it over to SRT out of maryland to develop something new and different.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
I'm sure that if you are serious about doing the $67K and are either a cash buyer or have very good credit that gets accepted on the first go, they would do it on the spot. You should give it a try if you are serious about doing it.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
given the fact that is it a lemon car from so cal doesn't say much about it actually being a lemon. There are some good lawyers and some stupid laws in california regarding lemons. I bet the original owner wanted out. It really isnt a complicated car and i bet nothing is wrong with it. With that said i still dont think its worth 64k. It would be an awesome car to get and track the crap out of though.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by mdweiss
given the fact that is it a lemon car from so cal doesn't say much about it actually being a lemon. There are some good lawyers and some stupid laws in california regarding lemons. I bet the original owner wanted out. It really isnt a complicated car and i bet nothing is wrong with it. With that said i still dont think its worth 64k. It would be an awesome car to get and track the crap out of though.
Southern California is full of slime ball crooks who buy expensive cars and make up fake issues to get out of cars. I know people who have had 5 cars bought back. The same group of people just ***** and moan until they get their way. In addition there are dealerships that are known as buy back central where the techs are crooks, the service manager is a crook and everyone gets a take on the deal. Hell one place even had the new car sales department in on the deal since it generated new car leads when the old car was returned. One place which I wont name did 60+ cars a month and 99% of these cars were FINE.

Funny how the bulk of these cars follow specific people from dealership to dealership. I dont know why people keep employing these shop foremen, techs, writers and managers.

MB has figured it out and is cracking down. They now flag cars as having "intentionally generated external influence" issues which means someone is trying to go for the buy back. The good techs booby trap the car with seals, tape, string etc and note the log to let other dealerships know about the trap and if the seals are broken its clear that the customer is opening it up and trying to cause an issue.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:36 PM

It may or may not be one of those scam cars, the question is whether its worth it to the new owner to find out.

For a few thousand more you can have a no stories car, why take the chance?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Glad to see people have more knowledge in regards to california lemon laws than I do. I have offered even near the $70k mark a few weeks back and there was no bite. Still off by several thousands. Anyhow they wil not finance the car themselves, and from my preliminary understanding pennfed will not do it either. They have the best rates, and I still rather hold out for a right white or silver one for near the $80k mark with low miles.

I also need to find the servicing dealer to get information what has been addressed. Maybe as time goes on theyll get more desperate and i can scoop it up. So ill invest the additonal funds to get it wrapped and than send it over to SRT and see if they want to do anything with it.

-Ozz

Last edited by ozz2002; 10-13-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 PM

CLK63 BS, Panamera, Prius, Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by ozz2002
Glad to see people have more knowledge in regards to california lemon laws than I do. I have offered even near the $70k mark a few weeks back and there was no bite. Still off by several thousands. Anyhow they wil not finance the car themselves, and from my preliminary understanding pennfed will not do it either. They have the best rates, and I still rather hold out for a right white or silver one for near the $80k mark with low miles.

I also need to find the servicing dealer to get information what has been addressed. Maybe as time goes on theyll get more desperate and i can scoop it up. So ill invest the additonal funds to get it wrapped and than send it over to SRT and see if they want to do anything with it.

-Ozz
You would be better off getting a no story car. I know a "lemon law" car can be a perfectly fine car, especially if under a full warranty. However, you are going to get a beating when it is time to sell the car. Also, while you are owning it, it just does not feel too good to have do not remove stickers on the car indicating the lemon law status of the car.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Southern California is full of slime ball crooks who buy expensive cars and make up fake issues to get out of cars. I know people who have had 5 cars bought back. The same group of people just ***** and moan until they get their way. In addition there are dealerships that are known as buy back central where the techs are crooks, the service manager is a crook and everyone gets a take on the deal. Hell one place even had the new car sales department in on the deal since it generated new car leads when the old car was returned. One place which I wont name did 60+ cars a month and 99% of these cars were FINE.

Funny how the bulk of these cars follow specific people from dealership to dealership. I dont know why people keep employing these shop foremen, techs, writers and managers.

MB has figured it out and is cracking down. They now flag cars as having "intentionally generated external influence" issues which means someone is trying to go for the buy back. The good techs booby trap the car with seals, tape, string etc and note the log to let other dealerships know about the trap and if the seals are broken its clear that the customer is opening it up and trying to cause an issue.
Interesting...
and JLEE-
what do you mean "remove stickers on car indicating..."
Old 11-12-2009, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Interesting...
and JLEE-
^^^
I also just found out many banks won't finance lemon lawed cars (not that I am considering buying one but....)
Old 11-14-2009, 03:38 PM

CLK63 BS, Panamera, Prius, Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Interesting...
and JLEE-
I am not sure about other states, but in California lemon law cars have "do not remove" stickers placed on the driver-side door jamb area, indicating the lemon status.

Lemon law cars are usually perfectly fine, especially with a warranty, but a pain when it is time to sell and you have to do all the explaining.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by GeoGeo
What concerns me is the fact that a BS was documented as a "lemon". That doesn't speak well for its reliability, especially a car of this caliber. I plan to keep my BS for a very long time so I prey this kind of unfortunate situation does not strike again.

And hell no, with this history you'd be crazy to buy this particular car for 70k...I wouldn't touch it for any $, IMHO.
It all depends on WHY it was Lemoned. It could be something major or it could be something silly.

There are people who do this for 'sport'. In most states, if a the same problem is reported 3 times within a given period, it can be lemoned. I have a friend who did this with a Lamborghini over........ squeaky brakes! And won!

It would require a bit of research to find out what the problem with the car was, but it could be worth it.