CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Lease ends soon - considering CLKBS or GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Lease ends soon - considering CLKBS or GT-R

Dear all,
I have just a few months left on my E63 lease, and am already trying to figure out what do I want to drive next. I feel that I am ready for something slightly different, perhaps more hardcore than the E. I am considering a used BS or a new/used GT-R. Have any of you BS owners considered going with the GT-R? What is a more friendly car as a daily driver? Which one is more special? Which one will keep its value in the long term? I have never driven the BS, but did drive my friend's GT-R. It is spectacular machine. A little about me: I am 42, live 2 miles away from work, engaged but not planning on any kids soon, if ever. However, this will be my only car as I never, ever want to drive my fiance's Scion TC (hopefully to be replaced with an IS-F soon, though)

thoughts? Ideas? I truly appreciate any input!
Ory
Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'12 CLS63, CLK63 BS (sold), '04 Maz Cpe (gone), '07 ML (gone), 08 SLK55 AMG (hers)
think smart

Do you own a home. If not buy one first. Start building your networth before you buy toys.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by rkjacobs63
Do you own a home. If not buy one first. Start building your networth before you buy toys.
What he said.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:03 PM

CLK63 BS, Panamera, Prius, Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by E63ory
Dear all,
I have just a few months left on my E63 lease, and am already trying to figure out what do I want to drive next. I feel that I am ready for something slightly different, perhaps more hardcore than the E. I am considering a used BS or a new/used GT-R. Have any of you BS owners considered going with the GT-R? What is a more friendly car as a daily driver? Which one is more special? Which one will keep its value in the long term? I have never driven the BS, but did drive my friend's GT-R. It is spectacular machine. A little about me: I am 42, live 2 miles away from work, engaged but not planning on any kids soon, if ever. However, this will be my only car as I never, ever want to drive my fiance's Scion TC (hopefully to be replaced with an IS-F soon, though)

thoughts? Ideas? I truly appreciate any input!
Ory
I actually thought about the GT-R before I bought the BS, and for me the BS was the right choice.

For daily driving, the BS is a more comfortable car and handles the road imperfections better than the GT-R. The GT-R however, has the back seats. In terms of being special, I think the BS wins hands down since it is more of a special edition car. I think the BS should be a better long term keeper and will grow on you as time passes. With the GT-R, you might get tired/bored with it pretty quickly as the only way to enjoy the car is to drive really fast which you cannot do too often on public roads.

But in the end, as you know, it should be a personal decision.

Also, if you don't mind manual transmission cars, 997 GT3 and 997 Turbo(manual and tip) are also in this category and price range.

Best of luck in choosing the right car for you!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
The GTR back seats are worthless, there is 0 leg room.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 PM

E63
Rkjacobs and Jams - Thanks for the warning. JLee, thanks for the input. I am also leaning towards the BS myself. I see it as a more 'special' car. Is is true that there is no blutooth? I am going to be looking at a black BS with 3k miles offered for 82K by a local MB dealership. I assume that I could bring the price down by a bit. I have been considering an 07 P turbo. The price is actually a bit higher - mostly in the 90s and therefore out of my range.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
u can add bluetooth for about $1K
Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 AM

'17 CLS550
Without a doubt, the BS.

I'm currently driving a 997S and in 18 months, I will be looking for one of these. Just saw the episode on Speed with Tanner Faust where he drives Tony Kanaan's BS....what a beautiful piece of machinery.

I wouldn't think twice about this one.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:10 AM

Public Transportation
The GTR is very fast. That is undeniable. I have read about the glass transmission. Don't have any personal experience, but it has never stirred my soul in any way.

Just picked up a BS after have multiple multiple P cars and a C6Z06. It is incredible in every way. I hear it calling from the garage daily. If fact, there it is calling now. I'm out.......
Old 10-17-2009, 09:43 AM

'17 CLS550
^^^^^ same with me although I was a bit intrigued when it first came out.

Looks like we have had some similar cars in the past. Just curious, does the BS have a better (meaning softer) ride than your Porsches? I'm getting to the point where I want just a bit softer feel (along the lines of the Z06...but with much better seats) than what my 997S offers.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
See new thread. Go for the Dale Earnhart Jr. car that's for sale in Charlotte. Best combination of good price, celebrity owned, and it's a black series. You can't go wrong!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 PM

'17 CLS550
I have to wait at least until early summer before I change cars....again. Had my '06 M5 for 90 days (couldn't stand the SMG, frequent stops at gas station and the Idrive). I've only had the 997S for 4 months....got to make it at least a year with it.

I wish I didn't watch that damn "Supercars" show. Now I am obsessed with the BS. I need to be around $70K anyhow and they aren't there yet. Hopefully (not for those that currently own them) they will be in my price range in the next 12-18 months.

I see you're in Manassas. You weren't by chance at the Open House for At Speed Motorsports (Hanover, MD) about a month ago were you? Somebody had a silver CLK63 BS there.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by alms21
I have to wait at least until early summer before I change cars....again. Had my '06 M5 for 90 days (couldn't stand the SMG, frequent stops at gas station and the Idrive). I've only had the 997S for 4 months....got to make it at least a year with it.

I wish I didn't watch that damn "Supercars" show. Now I am obsessed with the BS. I need to be around $70K anyhow and they aren't there yet. Hopefully (not for those that currently own them) they will be in my price range in the next 12-18 months.

I see you're in Manassas. You weren't by chance at the Open House for At Speed Motorsports (Hanover, MD) about a month ago were you? Somebody had a silver CLK63 BS there.
Yes, if that's where Wayne from L.E.T. was. Did you drive up from Charlotte? BTW, you can't go wrong with a BS, the thought of pre-owning one becomes an obsession and owning one becomes a passion!

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 10-17-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:31 PM

'17 CLS550
Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
Yes, if that's where Wayne from L.E.T. was. Did you drive up from Charlotte? BTW, you can't go wrong with a BS, the thought of pre-owning one becomes an obsession and owning one becomes a passion!
This was the Open House where Steve Dinan was the guest. I'm not sure who Wayne is that you are referring to. Perhaps we are talking about different get togethers.

I live just up Rt 15 from you in Frederick.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:37 PM

Public Transportation
My last car was a Ruf 993 BTR, so the ride was quite harsh. Before that I had a Ruf 550. I think the ride is quite comparable to the BS insomuch as I can remember.

I just took Heidi to a social event on Thursday. She had never ridden in the BS. She said it is her favorite car I have ever had. The BS offers amazing looks, exclusivity, most of the same creature comforts as other AMG's and it has the power and handling to boot. Perfect combination for me.

^^^^^ same with me although I was a bit intrigued when it first came out.

Looks like we have had some similar cars in the past. Just curious, does the BS have a better (meaning softer) ride than your Porsches? I'm getting to the point where I want just a bit softer feel (along the lines of the Z06...but with much better seats) than what my 997S offers.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:47 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
[QUOTE=alms21;3768098]I have to wait at least until early summer before I change cars....again. Had my '06 M5 for 90 days (couldn't stand the SMG, frequent stops at gas station and the Idrive). I've only had the 997S for 4 months....got to make it at least a year with it.

The BS won't go very far between gas stops. I think the biggest knock on the GTR is the need for dealer service before track use. You wind up having to do that (i am told) to avoid voiding the warranty. In the BS, when the opportunity arises, you just go to the track. There, you turn of all the assists and really drive yourself. In the GTR, I think it does the thinking for you. AS
Old 10-17-2009, 06:04 PM

Before the BS, I had the following cars: 996tt, 997 C2s, F430, 997tt, e60 M5. The BS is the most satisfying of all of those cars.

As for the gas milage, I used to get ~11 mpg on the M5. The BS gets about 17 mpg, but has a very small gas tank.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 PM

'17 CLS550
You guys have to check out this thread over at 6speed. I will preface by saying, like I said here, I own a 997S currently but some of these Porsche fanboys are unbelieveable. Pay particular attention to "JohnM".......I finally had to let him have it. Would love for JT55 to have a bit of a "debate" with him about the BS's trackability

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...des-997-a.html

Last edited by alms21; 10-17-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:44 PM

You guys have to check out this thread over at 6speed. I will preface by saying, like I said here, I own a 997S currently but some of these Porsche fanboys are unbelieveable. Pay particular attention to "JohnM".......I finally had to let him have it. Would love for JT55 to have a bit of a "debate" with him about the BS's trackability

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...des-997-a.html
That was a pretty interesting read. You sure let him have it. I am a regular at 6speed but mostly in the 997 GT3 section. Knowledgeable people do not underestimate the BS.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
You guys have to check out this thread over at 6speed. I will preface by saying, like I said here, I own a 997S currently but some of these Porsche fanboys are unbelieveable. Pay particular attention to "JohnM".....
Laugh him off and feel pity for him.
All of his "experience" with a CLK Black comes from quoting someone else.
Therefore, how much value do his words offer?

As JLee mentioned, knowledgable people respect the car.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 AM

This was the Open House where Steve Dinan was the guest. I'm not sure who Wayne is that you are referring to. Perhaps we are talking about different get togethers.

I wasn't at that event but would have attended had I known about it. Anyway, we should try to hook up one day. I would love to drive your P-car and your Z06. I test drove an 09 Z06 but didn't like the lack of forward visibility, low roof line and what I thought was a very rough ride. Are the earlier cars the same? I'm much happier with my BS!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 AM

I wasn't at that event but would have attended had I known about it. Anyway, we should try to hook up one day. I would love to drive your P-cars and your Z06. I test drove an 09 Z06 but didn't like the lack of forward visibility, low roof line and what I thought was a very rough ride. Are the earlier Z06's the same? I'm much happier with my BS!
Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 PM

E63
I will call the dealership where Earnhart's car is. Black color not my first choice for the BS though.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:06 PM

'17 CLS550
Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
I wasn't at that event but would have attended had I known about it. Anyway, we should try to hook up one day. I would love to drive your P-car and your Z06. I test drove an 09 Z06 but didn't like the lack of forward visibility, low roof line and what I thought was a very rough ride. Are the earlier cars the same? I'm much happier with my BS!
That sounds like a great idea. I'd love to take a spin in your BS.

I don't have the Z06 anymore. I do agree with you that the seating position is awkward and takes some getting used to. I think the Z06 has a softer ride than my 997S so my Pcar will most likely feel quite rough to you.........and underpowered... compared to what you're driving. It will be fun none the less.

Perhaps if we get some good weather over the next few weeks we can make this happen. Leesburg may be a nice palce to meet?? Please just shoot me a PM if you have a time/day in mind.