CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

hyper active traction control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche GT3, Ariel Atom
hyper active traction control?

Today I had the opportunity to drive down 2 empty freeway on-ramps inthe course of my day. They were both well paved, on camber, right hand, constant-radius corners. In both cases the traction control was cutting in and out fairly aggressively. I wasn't going particularly quickly, and there was no tire noise, or visible slip angle.

Has anyone else seen this?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:38 AM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
One thought is that if you are running Pirelli Corsa tires, they may have been cold.

Suggest that you warm the tires up a little and try and see if that changes your symptoms.

JDB
Old 02-18-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'12 CLS63, CLK63 BS (sold), '04 Maz Cpe (gone), '07 ML (gone), 08 SLK55 AMG (hers)
Try...

Maybe you had the 4 wheel drive button pushed. Try turning it off... worked for me.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:50 PM

WHT BS
I have to agree with JDB. It looks like cold tires to me. The corsas do take a bit of time to get up to temp in order to have good grip. No grip will send the TC computer into a frenzy especially with all that torque.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:28 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Turn the ESP OFF. It will still be on to a certain degree, but will allow you more throttle input with more steering angle before it kicks in. I agree about warming up the Corsas...they are horrible as a street tire and take sustained hard driving to bring up to an keep at operating temp. Those freeway cloverleaf onramps can be difficult becasue the ESP sees lots of sustained steering angle and reacts immediatly to the least amount of whelspin...that's why I always turn mine off and always drive in M mode. Always have the right gear selection and don't have to use the throttle to downshift giving the driver more car control.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 PM

2008 MBZ CLK63 AMG Black Series
I agree with all of the above. Those tires are horrible when cold and ESP will always kick in too early, just turn it off and be careful.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:18 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I agree that the Corsas are really slippery at the rear, especially if you are running the standard pressures, which seem way too high to me. However, if you are on cold tires on the street, I'm not sure you want the TC off.
From Pitts12 signature, it seems he is an experienced track driver. I'm not sure what an Ariel feels like at speed, but the BS has much less rear grip than the GT3.
As delivered, our cars have much more front end stick, and are dramatic oversteerers on and off the throttle. Using standard Porsche techniques to get the nose down will kick the rear out, especially with cold tires.
AS
Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
The wear level of the tires comes into play in my experience. Once they're at the end of their tread life, or heat cycled out, the LSD really bounces from side to side.
Tread life and heat cycles are well balanced, at least here in Dallas.
YMMV.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I agree with Alexander Stemer. Standing the BS on it's nose like you have to do with a Porsche and booting it through the rest of the turn is not a good thing. The BS also doesn't like feeding more and more steering into when in the middle of the turn, and is way more sensitive to it than a Porsche. The Corsas need quit some temperature to work properly, and when cold, they feel pretty much like hard plastic. Cruising on the FWY at 75 mph will not put enough heat into the tires, hence it will be quit slippery on the off ramp.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by SMP
I agree with Alexander Stemer. Standing the BS on it's nose like you have to do with a Porsche and booting it through the rest of the turn is not a good thing. The BS also doesn't like feeding more and more steering into when in the middle of the turn, and is way more sensitive to it than a Porsche. The Corsas need quit some temperature to work properly, and when cold, they feel pretty much like hard plastic. Cruising on the FWY at 75 mph will not put enough heat into the tires, hence it will be quit slippery on the off ramp.
True, however driving a heavy front engine car in the same manner you would a Pcar would be foolish (especially at the limit) and anyone with just a bit of experience would immediatly understand that and change their technique. Sure, it's tail happy, but it is also very well balanced and neutral handling when driven correctly.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I think we should all go to Pitt's house and test his car. Then he can try ours, and we can know if anything is wrong.
Pitt, where do you live and when should we show up? AS
Old 02-19-2010, 11:07 PM

Porsche GT3, Ariel Atom
You guys crack me up. I had never really looked at the tires closely (I've only had the car 3 weeks) - but noticed last night that I had Corsas on the front, and Potenzas on the rear. As it happened, my HREs came in today, with new Corsas all around. Hopefully it will solve the issue.

Thanks for the enthusiastic replies...

P.S. - the Pitts12 refers to a biplane - http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com/web/kits.php
Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by pitts12driver
You guys crack me up. I had never really looked at the tires closely (I've only had the car 3 weeks) - but noticed last night that I had Corsas on the front, and Potenzas on the rear. As it happened, my HREs came in today, with new Corsas all around. Hopefully it will solve the issue.

Thanks for the enthusiastic replies...

P.S. - the Pitts12 refers to a biplane - http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com/web/kits.php
Pitts were also know as Little Stinkers