CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

vegas in may

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
Yes it is all sorted.

To make a long story short, John's tuner went off the deep end (former tuner who worked for AMG) and did a bad number on the ECU so the decision was made to use Evosport for tuning. As you are likely aware, Evosport uses a Try-Y header design. Hennessey uses a 4 into 1 with Burns collectors (really nice stuff). The Hennessey design makes more torque down low than Evosport and was putting the car into limp mode with the computer saying torque values being exceeded.
The car was sent to Evosport’s shop where they did a custom tune on the ECU to match the car. ***big thanks to Simon for this***. The car was then shipped to Vegas where it arrived a couple hours before I flew in.
Results – first the bad news….my 599 is still quicker (no surprise there of course). Lots of good news though as the car is an easy daily driver. At the moment the car is just a play toy when I am in Vegas so I decided to keep the mods simple as I didn’t want the hassle or unreliability of a race car. There was an event in Vegas last weekend put on by the So Cal Ferrari owners….half way through the run out to lake mead when we pulled over I had a number of inquiries about the car. The car feels good in the turns although I can tell it would swap ends fairly easy if pushed too hard. In the end John did headers and exhaust. I got intake, ECU and pully system from Evosport.
If I had to do it all over again I would still have John do the exhaust and would have Simon supply parts and do tuning.
Back in London now but will be in Vegas in August or September….maybe catch up then.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by ecampbell
Yes it is all sorted.

To make a long story short, John's tuner went off the deep end (former tuner who worked for AMG) and did a bad number on the ECU so the decision was made to use Evosport for tuning. As you are likely aware, Evosport uses a Try-Y header design. Hennessey uses a 4 into 1 with Burns collectors (really nice stuff). The Hennessey design makes more torque down low than Evosport and was putting the car into limp mode with the computer saying torque values being exceeded.
The car was sent to Evosport’s shop where they did a custom tune on the ECU to match the car. ***big thanks to Simon for this***. The car was then shipped to Vegas where it arrived a couple hours before I flew in.
Results – first the bad news….my 599 is still quicker (no surprise there of course). Lots of good news though as the car is an easy daily driver. At the moment the car is just a play toy when I am in Vegas so I decided to keep the mods simple as I didn’t want the hassle or unreliability of a race car. There was an event in Vegas last weekend put on by the So Cal Ferrari owners….half way through the run out to lake mead when we pulled over I had a number of inquiries about the car. The car feels good in the turns although I can tell it would swap ends fairly easy if pushed too hard. In the end John did headers and exhaust. I got intake, ECU and pully system from Evosport.
If I had to do it all over again I would still have John do the exhaust and would have Simon supply parts and do tuning.
Back in London now but will be in Vegas in August or September….maybe catch up then.
Hmmmmm.....well, I'm glad you got things sorted out but I'm finding some inconsistancies with you explaination. So you are telling us the Hennessey headers make so much more torque than the evosport headers that the ecu's torque management/limiting software could not handle it??? I highly doubt this claim, in fact I guarantee this is not the case. Care to post up any dyno figures or charts, there are a dozen guys on here with the same mods as yours except they have the evosport headers, I would like to see your torque figures to compare.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
What I am telling you is that Hennessey's headers were causing the car to go into limp mode when using Evosport's ECU stage 2 program. Once the torque values were increased, it worked fine. Simon did a great job and I thank him again for the work he did.

I look forward to your explanation of how you can guarantee the torque values did not have to be increased from the stage 2 program Evosport normally uses. I am using a completely different header design than what you have so to infer nothing could be making more power than what you have is quite funny....

Last edited by ecampbell; 05-11-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
What I am telling you is that Hennessey's headers were causing the car to go into limp mode when using Evosport's ECU stage 2 program. Once the torque values were increased, it worked fine. Simon did a great job and I thank him again for the work he did.

I look forward to your explanation of how you can guarantee the torque values did not have to be increased from the stage 2 program Evosport normally uses. I am using a completely different header design than what you have so to infer nothing could be making more power than what you have is quite funny....
So, now we know what your car has in terms of mods. Don't you think it would have been alot less painful if you had just been more forthcoming in the first place when we all asked you about what was being done by Hennessey ?? Perhaps you would have learned something from the other members here and gone straight to Evosport instead of wasting your time learning about the torque limiting codes that Hennessey clearly knew nothing about while that part of the Black Series tuning is old hat to Evosport...Just saying...The cloak and dagger routine was all for naught, and in the end we were just wondering what kind of mods another tuner was bringing to market...if any....

Last edited by LZH; 05-11-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You and I have a few things in common, we love our Black Series and we love Vegas, I'm out there 6 to 10 times a year. Are you a gambling man....I am......I am so confident that my car makes mor rwhp and toque than yours and my car has no torque limiting issue...I am so confident that I will wager any amount of money and spot you 20hp and 20 ft lbs of torque just to make things interesting. I promise you your car is not even in the same ball pak as mine as far as HP numbers. Not to mention that on top of my N/A hp I have dyno'd my car on nitrous and put up number over 650rwhp recently and guess what...no torque management issues.....if I had to take a guess your car is making 460rwhp which is CONSIDERABLY less (about 60 to be exact) than mine, just ask around, so ya, I'm pretty confident.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
jrcart

I am still waiting for you to support your claim that you guarantee the torque limits on my ECU did not have to be raised from Evosports stage 2 program.

Support this claim or stfu.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:22 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
jrcart

I am still waiting for you to support your claim that you guarantee the torque limits on my ECU did not have to be raised from Evosports stage 2 program.

Support this claim or stfu.
Early versions of the Powerchip/Evosport tune did not address this torque limiting code and IIRC they fixed it so it would not throw the car into limp mode. Perhaps your tune was an early version from Powerchip.

Do you have any pics of your headers so we can compare them to the Evosport headers ? It's no secret that collector design has a direct impact on merge effectiveness so I don't doubt that a different header system could be made to develop more torque...but your gonna loose top end hp.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
LZH - Thanks for this. The ECU was just tuned so I would have thought Simon used the most current program. I drag raced for many years and found the 4:1 headers usually produced more power on the dyno. The 4:1 is usually better for top end whereas tri-y is better for street applications.

John dropped the engine and subframe as a unit when he built the headers in order to get the best fit. I know a couple of pics were taken with the iphone. Will check in the morning.

Without stirring the pot too much, grasshopper has become quiet.....perhaps he can't back up his guarantee.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Very interesting thread

I didn't know Hennessy makes long-tubes for the CLK black series? How much are they? What are the hp/tq gains if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Very interesting thread

I didn't know Hennessy makes long-tubes for the CLK black series? How much are they? What are the hp/tq gains if you don't mind me asking?
I got the 411, they are not long tubes, they are 4 into 1 shorties, yet for some reason he thinks they make more hp and torque than mine...I want to see some dyno sheets. Hell, I already offered to ship my car to Vegas to run him, I will ship my car to Vegas for a dyno shootout as well....and I will still spot him 20 hp and ft lbs torque.
This dude has absolutely no clue about my car, you would have figured Simon or Brad woulda have brought him up to speed, maybe somebody else can bring him up to speed.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LZH - Thanks for this. The ECU was just tuned so I would have thought Simon used the most current program. I drag raced for many years and found the 4:1 headers usually produced more power on the dyno. The 4:1 is usually better for top end whereas tri-y is better for street applications.

John dropped the engine and subframe as a unit when he built the headers in order to get the best fit. I know a couple of pics were taken with the iphone. Will check in the morning.

Without stirring the pot too much, grasshopper has become quiet.....perhaps he can't back up his guarantee.
I can back up everything I said, you are the one that backed out of a track rental last weekend or this weekend. I will ship my car to vegas whenever you want me to for a head to head dyno run and I will make you STFU!!!!!!! Don't bring a knife to a gunfight!!!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same day as above . . . it was a little bit fun
Attached Thumbnails vegas in may-imgp1175.jpg  
Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
Please tell everyone how you can guarantee the torque values were not raised (I still have the email from Evosport telling me they raised the values) - a point you are not addressing. Until you can post more info on this guarantee of yours which you seem to have backed off on you are just another blah blah blah.

You like to make a lot of assumptions about what you think I said vs. what was said....please show me where I said my black made more power than yours. We all know your car is the fastest car ever made...just like we all know you like to race drunk and then justify it.

For the avoidance of all doubt let me type real slow so you understand... I never said my car made more power than yours....I typed real slow here...did you understand? Here it is again in capital letters...I NEVER SAID MY CAR MADE MORE POWER THAN YOURS. If you are still not sure ask someone else on the forum as they may be able to help you.

Knife to a gun fight? You are much better than I when it comes to slinging mud but when it comes to using logic you are unarmed grasshopper...

Whilst getting you all bent out of shape was entertaining, this is now getting boring so you get the last word. Playing in Monaco this weekend and practice session 2 has just started so must go.

BTW - if I see you at Evosport in August or September I will still buy you a drink...

Last edited by ecampbell; 05-13-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wink

Please tell everyone how you can guarantee the torque values were not raised - a point you are not addressing. Until you can post more info on this guarantee of yours which you seem to have backed off on you are just another blah blah blah. While on the subject, please show me where I said my black made more power than yours. We all know your car is the fastest car ever made...just like we all know you like to race drunk.

Knife to a gun fight? You are much better than I when it comes to slinging mud but when it comes to using logic you are unarmed my young grasshopper...ah the ignorance of youth.
I guarantee your torque values were not raised any higher than the rest of us with evosport/PC tunes, as Luke stated early versions of the PC tune had some issues and since they used MY CAR to develop that software I think I might know what I am talking about.

....so where are those dyno figures? Several of us are waiting anxiously to see your gains and results. I don't have a problem with you but what I do have a problem with is the way you tiptoe around things and mislead people with your lack of disclosure. First you come on here 2 months ago bragging about you getting a Hennessy tune and everytime somebody asked what you were getting done you acted like it was some top secret NASA rocket project, it was not until I called Hennessy myself and found out that all you were getting was headers and a tune. Now we come to findout they are shorty headers (LOL) and Hennessy could not even tune the car (as I predicted early on would be the case). You should have brought your car to Evosport in the first place just like several of us stated early on, they have tuned more Black Series than any other tuner out there, people all over the world are running the various evosport packages on their cars and no other tuner can touch their Black Series stuff, add Hennessy to the list of overpriced underperforming AMG tuner list. If you are happy that is all that matters but 2.5 months in the Hen shop for a set of shorty headers seems a little extreme and then to add insult to injury you end up having to ship the car to another tuner to "fix it".....enjoy!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
Girls, this thread has been reported for high levels of testosterone induced stupidty.

I sympathize, honestly. But calm it down.

Subscribing to thread, I will hand out two day vacations for rampant idiocy from this point on.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
Yes it is all sorted.

ClayJ, is that you?????????????
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by MG
Girls, this thread has been reported for high levels of testosterone induced stupidty.
I always wonder who the douchebag narks are who run and cry to the mods and report threads....Not directed @you MG, of course, you're just doing your job.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by MG
ClayJ, is that you?????????????
First you say calm it down and then you taunt?

Maybe a couple of days at remedial moderator school?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by MG

I sympathize, honestly. But calm it down.

Subscribing to thread, I will hand out two day vacations for rampant idiocy from this point on.
I feel a banding coming.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
come on...Jim and I were just having some fun!

Last edited by ecampbell; 05-14-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
come on...Jim and I were just having some fun!
Change your mind on Lewis?

A guy that I worked with in the UK knew him and said he was an everyday guy, but the fame was wearing on him.
Occupational hazard.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
nah...hamilton is a young swinging dick and things his ***** doesnt stink. I mean really, who needs to walk around Monaco with bodyguards!

don't just take my word for it....every f1 off weekend you can come to Cipriani's in London and see Bernie and Flavio having brunch together. I have overheard them and Bernie (no I am not on a first name basis with him so no fights please Jim!!) is not a fan of Hamilton's but recognises he is good for f1.

Trying get an invite to the MB camp on Sunday...if I do will post pics.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nah...hamilton is a young swinging dick and things his ***** doesnt stink. I mean really, who needs to walk around Monaco with bodyguards!

don't just take my word for it....every f1 off weekend you can come to Cipriani's in London and see Bernie and Flavio having brunch together. I have overheard them and Bernie (no I am not on a first name basis with him so no fights please Jim!!) is not a fan of Hamilton's but recognises he is good for f1.

Trying get an invite to the MB camp on Sunday...if I do will post pics.
I have to agree with you on this topic, I attended most of the USGP F1 races at Indianapolis and most of them were a waste of time and my best memory of USGP races was "tiregate", that should tell you how exciting the F1 racing at Indy was. I also got to sit in the safetycar and talk with some of the AMG guys which was pretty cool, but besides that it sucked. The only reason I would attend was because we always got free luxury skybox tix and Indy is only a 3 hour drive from my house. If King Bernie ever brings F1 back to the states they need to have it at Road America, Miller or Barber, IMO those are the 3 best road venues in north america. IMO the reason F1 will never be that popular in the US is the attitudes and egos of Bernie as well as with most of the drivers and team bosses. Its very easy for fans to obtain pit/garage passes in the US for NASCAR, Grand Am and IRL races, those are probably the 3 premier series in the US whose star drivers are far mor recognizable to the general public in the US. Go to a NASCAR race and if you put in even some slight effort you could meet Jeff Gordon, Jaun Pablo Montoya and Dale Earnhart Jr in a single afternoon, in the 5 USGP races I attended I got within shouting distance of Hamilton but did not see him sign a single autograph. I personally could care less about meeting the drivers but for most fans its a big deal. IMO the racing in F1 sucks, I would rather watch a LeMans race over an F1 race.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by jrcart
I have to agree with you on this topic, I attended most of the USGP F1 races at Indianapolis and most of them were a waste of time and my best memory of USGP races was "tiregate", that should tell you how exciting the F1 racing at Indy was. I also got to sit in the safetycar and talk with some of the AMG guys which was pretty cool, but besides that it sucked. The only reason I would attend was because we always got free luxury skybox tix and Indy is only a 3 hour drive from my house. If King Bernie ever brings F1 back to the states they need to have it at Road America, Miller or Barber, IMO those are the 3 best road venues in north america. IMO the reason F1 will never be that popular in the US is the attitudes and egos of Bernie as well as with most of the drivers and team bosses. Its very easy for fans to obtain pit/garage passes in the US for NASCAR, Grand Am and IRL races, those are probably the 3 premier series in the US whose star drivers are far mor recognizable to the general public in the US. Go to a NASCAR race and if you put in even some slight effort you could meet Jeff Gordon, Jaun Pablo Montoya and Dale Earnhart Jr in a single afternoon, in the 5 USGP races I attended I got within shouting distance of Hamilton but did not see him sign a single autograph. I personally could care less about meeting the drivers but for most fans its a big deal. IMO the racing in F1 sucks, I would rather watch a LeMans race over an F1 race.

I agree with you that F1 is a much more exclusive and guarded atmosphere than any other racing in the world...thus making it less enjoyable for the average American...but the average American has no clue about what really goes into F1 and cannot truly appreciate it for what it is - the pinnacle of auto racing, R&D and the subsequent trickle down technology that allows us the privilege of driving the Black Series. Most idiots in the US just wanna see crashes, drink beer, go fast and turn left - yeeehaw - NASCAR has something called a "competition yellow" - biggest joke ever
I for one think F1 is the best it's ever been and anxiously await this weekend’s race.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Originally Posted by LZH
I agree with you that F1 is a much more exclusive and guarded atmosphere than any other racing in the world...thus making it less enjoyable for the average American...but the average American has no clue about what really goes into F1 and cannot truly appreciate it for what it is - the pinnacle of auto racing, R&D and the subsequent trickle down technology that allows us the privilege of driving the Black Series. Most idiots in the US just wanna see crashes, drink beer, go fast and turn left - yeeehaw - NASCAR has something called a "competition yellow" - biggest joke ever
I for one think F1 is the best it's ever been and anxiously await this weekend’s race.
+2!

I've been in Charlotte for HALF of my life (read I must be a geezer... ) and have NEVER been to a NASTYCAR race and can confidently say that I will never see one.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: vegas in may