CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK 63 BS Question/S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
What does being European have to do with it? It makes zero sense to me to take a car that will be terrible in the snow (I grew up in Minnesota so I know of what I speak.....) and make a ski hauler out of it...... At least the Lambos pictured above are AWD? I guess I don't understand that IF you have the means why wouldn't you buy a more capable (not to mention SAFE) vehicle to take on twisty sometimes steep snow packed roads? 30 years ago growing up in MN we even had "winter beaters"....... Maybe its all about what others think b/c you'll be in a Black Series? Personally, I'd think you a fool, but to each his own - be sure you post pics of this fiasco should it happen.......

Last edited by user z478747; 03-16-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by chuck z
What does being European have to do with it? It makes zero sense to me to take a car that will be terrible in the snow (I grew up in Minnesota so I know of what I speak.....) and make a ski hauler out of it...... At least the Lambos pictured above are AWD? I guess I don't understand that IF you have the means why wouldn't you buy a more capable (not to mention SAFE) vehicle to take on twisty sometimes steep snow packed roads? 30 years ago growing up in MN we even had "winter beaters"....... Maybe its all about what others think b/c you'll be in a Black Series? Personally, I'd think you a fool, but to each his own - be sure you post pics of this fiasco should it happen.......
Chuck, I guess this is meant for me since I said I'm European........but not sure if I'm a fool.

First to the guy who said he would like to take a BS to the snow: The way I look at it is he can do whatever he pleases with his car. What is it to you? He didn't ask you to drive him in your car through the snow or wanted to test your car in the snow. Would I do it? No, because the BS has already traction issues in the dry. But hey, he wants to do it, fine by me. Now to the winter beaters: I took my Porsche Cayenne and all my X5's to the mountains for skiing and use(d) them to transport my 112 pound German shepherd. I bought each of those cars brand new for the equivalent amount of money you get a used BS these days. It's not like that the BS is unobtainable or there are only 5 in existence. Don't get me wrong, I take very good care of my cars, but after all it's JUST a car meant for transportation. I bought my BS for a specific reason and use it as it was intended for by the engineers who built the car. You like your car to be a garage queen and probably wipe it down every other day and get high by just looking at it. Well, good for you! You like winter beaters. Again, good for you! That's what you like to do and I don't have a problem with it.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I know a buddy with a 550 and a bike rack on top

At least it's not a SuperAmerica
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by SMP
Chuck, I guess this is meant for me since I said I'm European........but not sure if I'm a fool.

First to the guy who said he would like to take a BS to the snow: The way I look at it is he can do whatever he pleases with his car. What is it to you? He didn't ask you to drive him in your car through the snow or wanted to test your car in the snow. Would I do it? No, because the BS has already traction issues in the dry. But hey, he wants to do it, fine by me. Now to the winter beaters: I took my Porsche Cayenne and all my X5's to the mountains for skiing and use(d) them to transport my 112 pound German shepherd. I bought each of those cars brand new for the equivalent amount of money you get a used BS these days. It's not like that the BS is unobtainable or there are only 5 in existence. Don't get me wrong, I take very good care of my cars, but after all it's JUST a car meant for transportation. I bought my BS for a specific reason and use it as it was intended for by the engineers who built the car. You like your car to be a garage queen and probably wipe it down every other day and get high by just looking at it. Well, good for you! You like winter beaters. Again, good for you! That's what you like to do and I don't have a problem with it.
The only comment in my post directed at you was the first sentence...... Not sure I understood why your logic would be any different b/c you are European from anyone else who is not? That's all.

The fool (IMHO) is the guy who cuts up the BS to get skis in it and then drives it to he mountains on snow covered roads when the are many other safer/more appropriate sensible choices..... Even you as a "European" have/had a Cayenne/X5 for that duty..... hence my comment "to each his own"

Whatever....... I don't really care what anyone does with their car(s)! I guess this is what happens when prices fall to a certain level? Just doesn't make any sense to me...
Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 PM

CLK BS
It's funny to see you guys having this heated argument over something that was originally posted with quite a bit of sarcasm. (I hope). I looked at it as more of a joke: I mean, ski rack and pass through on a BS? You simply can't be serious! Sure, anything's possible and you're free to do it, but the word "inappropriate" is created for a purpose. It certainly isn't something on any AMG people's mind when they designed the BS
Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by GeoGeo
It's funny to see you guys having this heated argument over something that was originally posted with quite a bit of sarcasm. (I hope). I looked at it as more of a joke: I mean, ski rack and pass through on a BS? You simply can't be serious! Sure, anything's possible and you're free to do it, but the word "inappropriate" is created for a purpose. It certainly isn't something on any AMG people's mind when they designed the BS
I think the post is/was serious.....

Might claim otherwise now.....

Its a discussion; certainly not heated argument on this end b/c I just think its a bad idea personal freedoms aside to do whatever he wants with his car and really don't care that much to get all worked up about it.

Last edited by user z478747; 03-16-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-
I think the post is/was serious.....

Might claim otherwise now.....

Its a discussion; certainly not heated argument on this end b/c I just think its a bad idea personal freedoms aside to do whatever he wants with his car and really don't care that much to get all worked up about it.
Safety is in your head and your driving skills, Chuck! Here in Moscow, Russia I had an experience of driving 330HP 69' Mustang convertable on the snow. That was so much fun! Moreover I have CL65 and I also drive it in the winter sometimes. First of all it's all about driving skills. It is also allright for me to have a 800HP 911 for everyday use, I can handle it.

And you know what? Any car I drive in the winter I prefer too drive with traction control off. It's much safer if you know what to do, if you are familiar with your vehicle, and do some special snow/ice driving practice sometimes.

A friend of mine drove his CLK 500 from Monaco to St.Moritz to ski there and was driving it in St.Moriz the whole week every day. With summer tires on it. He had no problem with it.

I am going to move to the US for a couple of years. And BS seems to be the perfect car for me in all aspect besides possibility to put skis inside it or on it.

Do you suggest me to buy two cars there, taking in account that one of them will only be used once a month? Sounds not very good.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:17 AM

Yugo
If you do decide to purchase the ski rack please be sure to post up some pics so we can all get a good friendly laugh. Now I am suddenly picturing my BS lapping a race track with a couple sets of skis strapped to the roof [/quote]
I thought I posted my roof racked (just the basic system) BS pic somewhere. Well here it is again. Okay, let's hear it.
Attached Thumbnails CLK 63 BS Question/S-my-truck.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 AM

-
Originally Posted by uscblack63
I thought I posted my roof racked (just the basic system) BS pic somewhere. Well here it is again. Okay, let's hear it.

That's great, man! Where did you get it?

Last edited by sleepless24h; 03-17-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by sleepless24h
Safety is in your head and your driving skills, Chuck! Here in Moscow, Russia I had an experience of driving 330HP 69' Mustang convertable on the snow. That was so much fun! Moreover I have CL65 and I also drive it in the winter sometimes. First of all it's all about driving skills. It is also allright for me to have a 800HP 911 for everyday use, I can handle it.

And you know what? Any car I drive in the winter I prefer too drive with traction control off. It's much safer if you know what to do, if you are familiar with your vehicle, and do some special snow/ice driving practice sometimes.

A friend of mine drove his CLK 500 from Monaco to St.Moritz to ski there and was driving it in St.Moriz the whole week every day. With summer tires on it. He had no problem with it.

I am going to move to the US for a couple of years. And BS seems to be the perfect car for me in all aspect besides possibility to put skis inside it or on it.

Do you suggest me to buy two cars there, taking in account that one of them will only be used once a month? Sounds not very good.
Oh, it's a blast driving in snow, that's what I learned to drive in. It's not my driving skills I'd be worried about.........

Be sure to have a camera for pics of the aftermath. You must be young enough that you haven't learned to be concerned about things like this yet. Best of luck with that.

Options are good and options when it comes to vehicles are also good. If budget and space allow you to have more than one vehicle I would say go for it. I too have driven high performace cars with summer tires on them in snow and I'm not sure I'd call it fun (I distincly remember tractor trailers blowing by us in a snow storm on an interstate out west and almost sending the car into the ditch)..... more like white knuckle driving unless there is no snow/ice on the roads?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Good one!!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:18 AM

-
Oh, it's a blast driving in snow, that's what I learned to drive in. It's not my driving skills I'd be worried about.........

Be sure to have a camera for pics of the aftermath. You must be young enough that you haven't learned to be concerned about things like this yet. Best of luck with that.

Options are good and options when it comes to vehicles are also good. If budget and space allow you to have more than one vehicle I would say go for it. I too have driven high performace cars with summer tires on them in snow and I'm not sure I'd call it fun (I distincly remember tractor trailers blowing by us in a snow storm on an interstate out west and almost sending the car into the ditch)..... more like white knuckle driving unless there is no snow/ice on the roads?
Frankly speaking I don't think about myself as an old person, but 7 years and more than 500,000 miles of worldwide driving experience made me understand what I like about driving and cars and what I don't. I'll try to make some pics specially for this forum next time I do some things, other people suppose to be crazy.

Anyway, thanks for your advises and comments. I am still in process of searching and choosing the car to buy. Honestly, I hope that I will buy a Panamera turbo, because it fits all my "perfect-car" requirments. However If I will not be able to get one, BS is definetly the best choice for me and is one of my "must-have cars" list.

By the way, Chuck, do you have a BS? Can you give me some more details and nuances about this vehicle. Especially in terms of everyday use and track use? Any weak links? Any often problems?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Yugo
That's great, man! Where did you get it?
MB dealer should have it or could order one for you.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 PM

Yugo
Good one!!

User DFW01E55 once said: "Looks like a redneck spoiler. " That's exactly what I think, too.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche 996 gt3 cup, 09 Audi R8
I think thats awesome IMHO...but I know thats not the popular opinion...

Says to me "Ya, And Im still a badass..."
Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Anyway, thanks for your advises and comments. I am still in process of searching and choosing the car to buy. Honestly, I hope that I will buy a Panamera turbo, because it fits all my "perfect-car" requirments. However If I will not be able to get one, BS is definetly the best choice for me and is one of my "must-have cars" list.
Great cars! Have a very special 4S due in ~2 months....

By the way, Chuck, do you have a BS? Can you give me some more details and nuances about this vehicle. Especially in terms of everyday use and track use? Any weak links? Any often problems?
I do, mine is white and doesn't have the only option - the iPod connector. It was also built b/f Mercedes added TPMS. Had it for over two years. Haven't had any trouble with mine at all but it doesn't have many miles on it b/c it's a 5th/6th car so others might be better to answer with specifics. I know there have been some small issues but nothing major.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by WTDoom
People do things like this because they can and because they are free to do so :

An all-wheel drive Lambo is going to fair far better in the snow than a rear whell drive BS...that being said you would not catch me dead taking either vehicle on a weekend ski trip. IMO people that are forced to do this are car poor, over-financed up the azz and are forced to drive that vehicle 365 days a year in any and all conditions becuase it is all they have. I know that this is not always the case but when I see some tool driving an exotic in the dead of winter "over financed idiot" comes to mind and is the only logical conclusion I can come up with to explain such porr decision making. Anyone that says they choose to drive their exotic all year around for the "driving pleasure" is full of crap, there is absolutely no "driving pleasure" involved when trying to navigate a 400-600hp 3200 pound vehicle in the ice and snow...or even rain for that matter. You guys can post up all the lame pictures and try to justify it anyway you want, but driving an exotic in the snow makes you look like a bust-out and I would bet 99% of the population (including non-enthusiests) would agree. Bottom line, if you can't afford a decent daily/winter driver you can't really afford the exotic either.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you do decide to purchase the ski rack please be sure to post up some pics so we can all get a good friendly laugh. Now I am suddenly picturing my BS lapping a race track with a couple sets of skis strapped to the roof
I thought I posted my roof racked (just the basic system) BS pic somewhere. Well here it is again. Okay, let's hear it.[/QUOTE]

Hey, look at the bright side, you be a future Darwin Award winner.

I can see it now...Headline reads "Man takes 502 hp Mercedes AMG Supercar on ski trip"...see how stupid that sounds?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dumb and Dumber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4f4EsPBvTk

Need I say more?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by jrcart
Dumb and Dumber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4f4EsPBvTk

Need I say more?
You're on a roll!
Keep it up.
Talk about people in McMansions next!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
You're on a roll!
Keep it up.
Talk about people in McMansions next!

No, I'll let the current state of the U.S. economy do all the talking on that topic.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
So bottom line, nobody has a picture of a Black Series with a nice rack?
Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
surely somebody does!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...s-my-truck.jpg

Yes, see this thread post #33, granted the rack is holding lumber not skis, but it's a roof rack none-the-less.

Last edited by jrcart; 03-17-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
surely somebody does!
Thank you Chuck!
Sorry Jim, points deducted for missing the obvious!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK 63 BS Question/S