CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Locking differential

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a true locking differential inhibits a vehicle from cornering at anything but a very slow speed....

LSD is the proper application for a vehicle that needs to go around a corner...
Correct...A true locking dif is only good for towing and for off-roading, hill climbing and rock crawling. Air and fluid lockers are great for the Jeep and Toyota FJ crowd, I had some awesome lockers on my Wrangler Unlimited but would never want them on my Black Series.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by Gordon Gecko
First the dealer suggested I consider the true locking as opposed to the ltd slip that is stock because the warranty pays for labor and stock so why not consider while it is all apart Second I just got this three weeks agp and there was a loud knock from th rear upon 2nd and 1st downshifts. So may have been abused as a child. Wonder if the lack of blipping tears it up. Wish I cld get it to to downshift mire quickly coming into a turn hot. Miss my fcars and manuals sometimes!
Gecko - nice meeting you at Road Atlanta. Another "by chance" meeting in a crowd of 50,000 people.

I would probably go with the OEM unit. As others have mentioned, the OEM diff appears to be pretty tough, and it's already LSD. Your problem was because of the leak we both saw, right there where rage's car had the same issue...

Spend your extra money on some Evosport goodies (tune, airbox, etc).
Old 10-05-2010, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by SMP
I don't know how many previous owners the car had, whether the LSD was properly broken in and serviced at the factory recommended mileage. When I brought my car in for the LSD oil change, the dealer had the right gear oil in stock, but not the hardware, which had to be ordered from Germany and took a couple of days to get here. I guess some dealers just used the old parts instead, or the customer forgot about it and the LSD was never serviced. Either way, whith a low oil level and some aggressive driving, the LSD overheats and spews the rest of the oil out the overfill. Without lubrication or any cooling, the gears and clutches will literally eat each other.
I am taking my 'new' BS in for a check at my local MB dealership and am having them replace the oil in the rear diff; (when I got the car it had 1900 miles on it, so I'm not sure if it had been changed already). Can you tell me what "hardware" you're referring to?

TIA,
Bish
Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by thebishman
I am taking my 'new' BS in for a check at my local MB dealership and am having them replace the oil in the rear diff; (when I got the car it had 1900 miles on it, so I'm not sure if it had been changed already). Can you tell me what "hardware" you're referring to?

TIA,
Bish
Nothing really special, just a screw plug and gasket ring. But since the Black Series is the only car with that diff, the dealer doesn't stock it. At least not when I had the service performed. Make sure they have it in stock or order it ahead, otherwise your car will be there for a few days. If they use the old parts, I'm quite certain that it will leak slowly which causes the overheating problem.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK63 Black Series
Just heard from MB of Buckhead - it was a Flex Disc. That accounts for the rubber smell I encountered ! Still not sure why some fluid was leaking onto my pipes that caused the smoke briefly during my "Sunday Ride" to Petit Lemans.

Sorry if I alarmed anyone - they say these cars should be able to take lots of abuse - I have had it for 3 weeks - must have been abused as a child as I said before!

Thanks again for all the input. You guys are just as good as Ferrarichat!

Now scuse me while I
Old 10-05-2010, 07:52 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Gordon Gecko
Just heard from MB of Buckhead - it was a Flex Disc. That accounts for the rubber smell I encountered ! Still not sure why some fluid was leaking onto my pipes that caused the smoke briefly during my "Sunday Ride" to Petit Lemans.

Sorry if I alarmed anyone - they say these cars should be able to take lots of abuse - I have had it for 3 weeks - must have been abused as a child as I said before!

Thanks again for all the input. You guys are just as good as Ferrarichat!

Now scuse me while I
I would push for the dealer to replace the entire dif assembly and I'm pretty sure it got smoked from running it with very little fluid....not from being abused by the pevious owner/as a child...

Fchat is pretty good....glad we don't have that loser VIKEN over here
Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by jrcart
Correct...A true locking dif is only good for towing and for off-roading, hill climbing and rock crawling. Air and fluid lockers are great for the Jeep and Toyota FJ crowd, I had some awesome lockers on my Wrangler Unlimited but would never want them on my Black Series.
My G55K has three ( front, middle and rear ) locking diffs...
Going aroind a corner faster then 10MPH is akin to a four wheel drift...
Old 10-08-2010, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by RBYCC
My G55K has three ( front, middle and rear ) locking diffs...
Going aroind a corner faster then 10MPH is akin to a four wheel drift...
I knew G wagons came with a good locker system but kinda suprised to hear the AMG 55 version comes with lockers too, I just assumed the 55's where road going versions, I bet a G55 would be tons of fun in the mud. G wagons are VERY capable off-road machines.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
I knew G wagons came with a good locker system but kinda suprised to hear the AMG 55 version comes with lockers too, I just assumed the 55's where road going versions, I bet a G55 would be tons of fun in the mud. G wagons are VERY capable off-road machines.
My good friend has a 2010 G55 and it really is a blast off road...the one issue is the side exit exhausts, it's all too easy to rip them off, when he gets the time he says he's probably going to have them moved but he doesn't want to lose the sound...
Old 10-08-2010, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
You should corner with all 3 diffs locked in two feet of snow....
I think I saw the rear come past the front a few times !!!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I have Detroit Lockers in 2 vintage racers. With a locker, driving technique changes, as you must drift or slide every corner. Otherwise, you just tiptoe around.
Perhaps I had a misunderstanding, but I thought our cars limited slip dif did actually lock at the traction limit. I had attributed our rather marked corner entry oversteer to that, but perhaps I'm wrong. AS