CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Advice on helmet selection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Advice on helmet selection

I have had a basic white Pyrotect helmet (SA2005) for quite some time but I keep getting ads from helmet suppliers and can't help notice the graphic choices available in the motorcycle line. What are the fundamental differences between auto and motorcycle helmets. Pricing is similiar for SA2010 models but the auto versions have nearly zero choices other than white or black. Would a helmet designed for motorcycle use not be functional/safe beheind the wheel of a car?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
I don't see why not...the main differences being aero dynamics, venting, styling, and weight (lighter usually). The visibility also, but not sure which is better.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Make sure you get a fibeglass or carbon fiber shell, lower cost helmets have polycarbonate or polymer shells, which with todays technology is not bad if they have all current DOT and SNELL ratings, but I would still drop the extra coin on a glass or cf shell a good motorcycle helmet will work fine for track day events, however if you plan on ever investing in a head and neck restraint device such as a Hans device you should step up to a helmet that is equipted for such a restraint. Also make sure the helmet fits properly DO NOT order one online without trying them one first, every manufacturer has slightly different sizing a Simpson L is like an Arai XL.

Last edited by jrcart; 10-23-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Not only that but M or SA Snell ratings are different as well as the fact that 2005 ratings are different from 2010 ones. Not only is the testing requirement different but also the fire resistant rating. SA is normally used by club racers and above. AX or DE will allow M Snell ratings.

I agree with jrcart. Try a helmet before you buy on the interweb. HJCs seem popular but I know that my L Bell fits a lot better than a L HJC; I would've had to go to a XL HJC for similar fitment. Helmet manufacturers also use different head shape models. That will account for one size helmet fitting different than another one.

Go here, http://www.hjchelmets.com/, and then look under helmet technology for proper fit.

Go here for an unbiased review of helmets: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Further STFFing is up to you.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:16 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
What ever helmet you decide on, make sure it is rated Snell 2010 not DOT, as some tracks and events will require it from next year on. Since it is your own head you're protecting with it, I would be more concerned with quality and safety features, rather than color choices. As Jrcart already mentioned, proper size is very important.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 958 Likes on 575 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
IIRC car helmets are designed to have a higher flame retardent factor than a M/C helmet; hence there might be the occasional track event that won't accept a M/C helmet. Best bet imho is to have one helmet for each application.
Bish
Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63S, SLS BS
Ill pipe up here as this is a topic I actually know something about lol.

Get an arai helmet. They are absolutely the best. You DO NOT need carbon fiber. It is way overpriced and actually shatters so is worse than fiberglass. I would suggest looking at a gp5 or gp6 which is the latest design. Gp6 maybe very expensive, but I promise you that arai is the best. The japanese quality is second to none.

Motorcycle helmets will not be nearly as safe. The eye ports are much larger for visibility on the street but will flex a lot more under any sort of Impact in a car.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Originally Posted by GRahal09
Ill pipe up here as this is a topic I actually know something about lol.

Get an arai helmet. They are absolutely the best. You DO NOT need carbon fiber. It is way overpriced and actually shatters so is worse than fiberglass. I would suggest looking at a gp5 or gp6 which is the latest design. Gp6 maybe very expensive, but I promise you that arai is the best. The japanese quality is second to none.

Motorcycle helmets will not be nearly as safe. The eye ports are much larger for visibility on the street but will flex a lot more under any sort of Impact in a car.

Hope this helps!
I also love my Arais (all for motorcycling). They fit the best for me (ie NO pressure points) and are very well crafted. As far as the sizing is concerned, it's more about the padding INSIDE the helmet than the actual size of the shell- for example - Arai's shells are the same same size for S and M and L and XL also use the same shell - the padding inside them is was makes one larger or smaller than the other. I personally have to put in thicker pads in a large helmet to get my size because their mediums are too small and I can't make them "Big enough" with smaller pads so I have to buy a Large and put in thicker pads all the way around...Also, a couple of things to remember:
Helmets are only good for ONE impact - drop it and you could have just used up that one
Helmets naturally degrade over time so a good rule of thumb is to replace them every 5 years
High end helmets are NOT cheap - When friends of mine ask me "how much should I spend on a helmet" - I reply "how much is your head worth to you?"
Old 10-24-2010, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
The basic idea is to have the helemt protect your brain in event of an unintended crash. Now if your brain is telling you to get a "cheaper" helmet then perhaps its not worth protecting.
Don't buy any helmet without trying it on. Based on independant testing and fit, I choose a Stand21 which exceeded all the safety regs. Now if I could get my hands on a Schubert 599xxx helmet, I'd have one of those but you have to buy the car to get one.