CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Most Collectible Cars In The Future

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2011 | 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Most Collectible Cars In The Future

This popped up on my Yahoo homepage this morning. What do you guys think? I agree with the Ford GT, CGT and maybe some Vipers, but I have my doubts about the SLR and ZR1. Nobody wanted the SLR when it was new so how does it all of a sudden become a desired collectible? ZR1's, although produced in limited numbers by Chevrolet standards are far to mass produced to ever become a highly valued collectibhle IMO.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...lectible-cars/
Old 01-03-2011 | 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
I agree. Viper > ZR1 although I don't quite know why.

SLR is a h00t, yet the SLS will be the one to collect in the future because it's the better car that's cheaper to maintain.

Not just because I own one, but I feel the CLK Black will be more of a collectible than the SLR. Even more than the CLK DTM, and that for being the better car (although the DTM is more of a h00t).

I dunno, just speculating... Time will tell anyway.
Old 01-03-2011 | 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
the only two from that list I agree with are the Ford GT and the Porsche.
You are 100% spot on about the SLR and ZR1.

I can still remember the first time I saw a Carrera GTon the road--I could hear it for a minute or two before I saw it and said to myself, what's making that noise--I went through my engine/exhaust note files in my brain and came up empty.
I stopped my wife in our tracks and said "hold on, I gotta see what this is."
Sweet car, it would be welcome in my garage anytime and I'm not a huge P-car fan!

Sadly the SLR, although I think it's cool and does a lot of things right, it's just that type of car for me which makes me think, "yeah its cool, but I'd rather have this for the same money or less"--not a home run for MB IMO!
Old 01-03-2011 | 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sprins
I agree. Viper > ZR1 although I don't quite know why.

SLR is a h00t, yet the SLS will be the one to collect in the future because it's the better car that's cheaper to maintain.

Not just because I own one, but I feel the CLK Black will be more of a collectible than the SLR. Even more than the CLK DTM, and that for being the better car (although the DTM is more of a h00t).

I dunno, just speculating... Time will tell anyway.
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it. I don't know about actual production numbers of SLR's vs CLK Black Series but I see a hell of a lot more SLR's driving around on the streets than CLK Black Series. With the exception of track days and MB meets and such I have only seen 3 other Black Series on the road. One of them lives just down the street from me, I saw one in Vegas and another on on the 405 between Long Beach and LA. I've easily seen 3 times that many SLR's and SLR roadsters on the road in that same period of time.

oh well...my car isn't a museum piece and I'm never gonna sell it so I guess it's no biggie either way.
Old 01-03-2011 | 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Many of the collectibles sat on dealers lots and they couldn't give them away in their day, Shelby GT350, Shelby Cobra just to name two. So I wouldn't discount the SLR Roadster.

Cars that I've owned and regret selling, 63 Vett split window with 340 hp, 69 Mustang Cobra Jet, 65 Shelby 350 GT! What I've learned is buy horsepower and limited number cars and don't sell them.

The Ford GT is number one on my list, and I'm going to have to fill that space in my garage with one very soon. The Carrera GT, as porsches go, have a following and it has the exclusivity. ZR1 would be a near collectible since there are sooo many chebby lovers with fat blond wives, just look at who buys the Vetts at Barrett Jackson, need I say more.

Most of the AMG cars will be like the old Mopar muscle cars, sitting in the back yard with a blown engine the owner can't afford to fix. The SL65's will be collectible, just wait 20 more years!
They've built a lota Vipers so not much exclusivity.
Old 01-03-2011 | 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
I would think the CLK BS would be too. Its one of the most pure sports cars that hold the MB name and not in mass numbers. On the other end of this, what about the BMW Z8? Those cars are now over ten years old and STILL selling for 80k + ??? Even weirder, NO ONE reviewed that car well and for the specs, it performs poorly. I guess you just never really know what cars will hold value. I can see the SLR be more collectible later just because of the higher price tag vs the SLS. I would rather own and SLS hands down, however, very few rich people that waste there money know anything about cars. They just follow the price tag.
Old 01-03-2011 | 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by austinholloman
I would think the CLK BS would be too. Its one of the most pure sports cars that hold the MB name and not in mass numbers. On the other end of this, what about the BMW Z8? Those cars are now over ten years old and STILL selling for 80k + ??? Even weirder, NO ONE reviewed that car well and for the specs, it performs poorly. I guess you just never really know what cars will hold value. I can see the SLR be more collectible later just because of the higher price tag vs the SLS. I would rather own and SLS hands down, however, very few rich people that waste there money know anything about cars. They just follow the price tag.
The BS has the criteria for a collectible with horsepower and low build numbers and exclusivity with the chassis. The economy sapped some value but I see it climbing so it's a buy enjoy and hold, I'm holding on to mine till the green hysteria passes.
Ya agree with you on the Z8, their bringing over a 100k for later model low mileage. Problem is the aluminum chassis is plagued with failures that BMW refused to acknowledge mostly due to the small number so there was never much pressure for a recall.
I know some wealthy car guys who know their stuff and they didn't get rich by buying depreciating assets.
Old 01-04-2011 | 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
^ They didn't get rich that way no but they know their stuff. Some rich people just know their parents are dead and their bank accounts changed hands. Not all rich people are smart.
Old 01-04-2011 | 08:30 PM

'12 CLS63, CLK63 BS (sold), '04 Maz Cpe (gone), '07 ML (gone), 08 SLK55 AMG (hers)
Originally Posted by jrcart
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it. I don't know about actual production numbers of SLR's vs CLK Black Series but I see a hell of a lot more SLR's driving around on the streets than CLK Black Series. With the exception of track days and MB meets and such I have only seen 3 other Black Series on the road. One of them lives just down the street from me, I saw one in Vegas and another on on the 405 between Long Beach and LA. I've easily seen 3 times that many SLR's and SLR roadsters on the road in that same period of time.

oh well...my car isn't a museum piece and I'm never gonna sell it so I guess it's no biggie either way.
Was the BS/car you saw between LBC and LA on the 405 Iridium?
Old 01-04-2011 | 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rkjacobs63
Was the BS/car you saw between LBC and LA on the 405 Iridium?
No, it was black, all three of the other ones I have seen on the road were black now that I thin about it, kinda odd sinceI think iridium had the highest build numbers.
Old 01-04-2011 | 10:06 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Do you know how many dumbasses have said to me, "If it's called a BLACK series then why is it silver??"
Old 01-05-2011 | 07:31 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Actually, I think black is first followed by iridium silver, then it's a toss-up between mars red and white.
Old 01-05-2011 | 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
The bs and cgt are the most deserving to be on that list. The ford gt closely follows.
Old 01-05-2011 | 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
The CLK63 BS is one of the most beautiful AMGs out there. It deserves to become a collectible.... and it might. However, one of AMGs future plans may prevent it from becoming one; namely, the release of the C63 Black Series. When AMG releases the new C63 BS, which will supposedly out do the CLK63 BS in many categories, such as, horsepower, torque, straight-line acceleration, twisties, transmission, other updates, etc... while remaining in the same price range, the CLK63 BS may become less appealing over time. The hard-core naturally aspirated folks may still abide by it, but I think many enthusiasts will go for the better performing C63.

Either way, the CLK63 BS will remain a very memorable car to many of us.
Old 01-05-2011 | 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by LZH
Do you know how many dumbasses have said to me, "If it's called a BLACK series then why is it silver??"
I can't believe more than one person has thought of this stupid one-liner
So doucey

I didn't think of the Z8 right away, but I think it will be one of those cars that keep its value, however, I don't see it escalating too much more, but what do I know?
I actually always liked the looks of the Z8 and saw one at a gas station a couple years ago and thought it still looked fresh and timeless--surprised BMW hasn't made a similar car since.
Old 01-05-2011 | 08:40 PM

76 220D
BMW tried to recapture the magic of the 507 but failed. The frame problems will kill it with all but the unknowing.