CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

multiple owners cll 63 amg bs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 63 AMG BS
multiple owners cll 63 amg bs

I am in the market for BS, and i have noticed that quite a few have traded hands multiple times with low miles, i wonder why, people dont like the car after they drive, or what is it, i cant figure out the reason, i could under stand if it was high miles etc? or am i over analyzing it.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
If you're in the Chicago area, my former CLK BS is for sale here:

http://www.diamondmotorworks.com/det...d-7547532.html

I loved the car, still miss her, and only traded it in because I have a C63 BS on the way next year. It's a 3 owner car, CPO warranty until April 2013. From my research into the history, the first owner had the car repo'd, second owner traded it in for a SL65 BS, and I was the 3rd owner.

Last edited by rage2; 08-24-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Originally Posted by gestut
I am in the market for BS, and i have noticed that quite a few have traded hands multiple times with low miles, i wonder why, people dont like the car after they drive, or what is it, i cant figure out the reason, i could under stand if it was high miles etc? or am i over analyzing it.
I cant imagine anyone not enjoying this car! you will not regret it!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by rage2
If you're in the Chicago area, my former CLK BS is for sale. From my research into the history, the first owner had the car repo'd, second owner traded it in for a SL65 BS, and I was the 3rd owner.

Another thought.

I think it is tough to drive in an urban setting because of the lousy urban, shovel ready roads. The suspension is best suited to smooth roads or tracks.

I tried to drive a static demonstrator CLK BS with 40k miles on the clock at a Boston AMG event A few years ago. They told me "the suspension is unsuited to urban roads." I didn't get to drive the car.

If I lived in a metro area and had a BSeries I guess I would put on narrower higher profile tires and spare wheels for a more comfortable commute. I'd save the stock setup for weekends. Just my 2 cents.

Bottom line is on most roads many people might feel the car is uncomfortable, so they move on. Horses for courses.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
IMO most of the former BS owners were "enthusiasts" and not collectors who enjoy owning and driving different, leading edge, high performance cars. They typcially don't own a car (any car) for a long time because there's always something "better" on the horizon that may handle better, have more horsepower, be more exotic etc. The BS is and always will be a GREAT car but there's always that Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari or other exotic itch that must be scratched. Most owners regret selling their BS for a variety of reasons but they've moved on to that other challenge. Personally, I would not be afraid to buy a used BS because its not well suited for suburbia. The BS is a unique, over-the-top, ahead of its time modified F1 racer that appeals to the go-fast, get-it-done, let's have fun owner who appreciates excellent quality, performance, and a race-like ride.

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 08-24-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by grane

Another thought.

I think it is tough to drive in an urban setting because of the lousy urban, shovel ready roads. The suspension is best suited to smooth roads or tracks.

I tried to drive a static demonstrator CLK BS with 40k miles on the clock at a Boston AMG event A few years ago. They told me "the suspension is unsuited to urban roads." I didn't get to drive the car.

If I lived in a metro area and had a BSeries I guess I would put on narrower higher profile tires and spare wheels for a more comfortable commute. I'd save the stock setup for weekends. Just my 2 cents.

Bottom line is on most roads many people might feel the car is uncomfortable, so they move on. Horses for courses.
Another possibility is that many who purchased a BS couldn't afford it as the economy changed...
Also there are buyers that want the latest and the greatest who have more money then brains and flip in and out of vehicles regardless of how much is lost on a transaction.
I prefer one owner in general especailly if they have complete documentation and service history.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45

Another thought.

Everyone has a different tolerance to suspension stiffness and compliance. While I absolutely loved it, being able to feel urban roads and potholes and knowing exactly what was going on even though I'm just going to work, my girlfriend hated the BS. She only put up with the car because she knew how much I was in love with it lol.

gestut, you should at least go test drive the BS in Naperville to get an idea if you like the suspension setup in Chicago area roads. For reference, the car runs on PS2's which is a slightly softer ride than stock.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:01 PM

CLK63 BS, 997tt
agree it is all relevant. As my DD I find it a very comfortable ride and softer than my 997tt. drive it.

Everyone has a different tolerance to suspension stiffness and compliance. While I absolutely loved it, being able to feel urban roads and potholes and knowing exactly what was going on even though I'm just going to work, my girlfriend hated the BS. She only put up with the car because she knew how much I was in love with it lol.

gestut, you should at least go test drive the BS in Naperville to get an idea if you like the suspension setup in Chicago area roads. For reference, the car runs on PS2's which is a slightly softer ride than stock.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
First owner here. I think you're over analyzing it... there's no one reason people are selling, and I think you'll find the reasons as varied as for any other exotic. IMO for the money you really can't get anything better.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Now that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Buy a track car and put Camry wheels on it for the weekday commute. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...
Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Also there are buyers that want the latest and the greatest who have more money then brains and flip in and out of vehicles regardless of how much is lost on a transaction.
We have a winner!!!.....at least in my part of town. I went and saw a used white BS a few years ago and it was beat up. The story was it was owned by a Medicare HMO insurance company owner. He flipped cars often and probably didnt know or couldn't care less about it's engineering.

Another reason might be because some people want the attention of a Lamborghini or Ferrari.

Either way, this is a futile exercise.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:06 AM

'12 CLS63, CLK63 BS (sold), '04 Maz Cpe (gone), '07 ML (gone), 08 SLK55 AMG (hers)
Because, people like us can choose to try out a lot of toys.... Having numerous options is a benefit of having money.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by rkjacobs63
Because, people like us can choose to try out a lot of toys.... Having numerous options is a benefit of having money.
There is a difference between what you refer to as "a benefit of having money".

Many do as you state "try out a lot of toys"...others are more purists and appreciate the marque and tend to collect and still use and enjoy owning special and limited production models
Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
people like me buy a collector car, spend $$$ on it keeping for a year and then sell to move on to something else.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
If you're in the Chicago area, my former CLK BS is for sale here:

http://www.diamondmotorworks.com/det...d-7547532.html

I loved the car, still miss her, and only traded it in because I have a C63 BS on the way next year. It's a 3 owner car, CPO warranty until April 2013. From my research into the history, the first owner had the car repo'd, second owner traded it in for a SL65 BS, and I was the 3rd owner.
I have never heard of Diamond Motorsports and I have lived in Naperville for 25 years, I goggle Mapped it and its only a couple miles from my house. Must be an internet car dealer becuase to the best of my knowledge the city of Naperville does not allow non-Franchised car dealers within city limits(no used car lots) unless thay have very recently changed their zoning laws. The BS is by far the nicest car in their inventory followed by a 997tt. Im gonna ago check out the car just to see the wrap job in person.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 PM

WHT BS
This car was up for sale on this board not too long ago. I am sure you can find the original owner and ask him some questions about the car prior to purchasing it. Having said all that, Why would anyone buy a BS and change the tires for a SOFTER ride???? It doesnt make any sense. Just buy something that suits your needs. That would be like buying a Tuxedo and the cutting the pants to make shorts. Just my opinion.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
The compression rate is adjustable anyway, not that I've messed with mine but it's certainly an option if you want it a little softer
Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by jrcart
I have never heard of Diamond Motorsports and I have lived in Naperville for 25 years, I goggle Mapped it and its only a couple miles from my house. Must be an internet car dealer becuase to the best of my knowledge the city of Naperville does not allow non-Franchised car dealers within city limits(no used car lots) unless thay have very recently changed their zoning laws. The BS is by far the nicest car in their inventory followed by a 997tt. Im gonna ago check out the car just to see the wrap job in person.
I believe they're an Internet based dealer. They had a car I wanted in stock, gave me a more than fair trade-in value which is why I went with them. My brother lives 30 mins away, stopped by to make sure they were legit and to get the 996TT checked out for me.

Next time I'm in Chicago do you mind meeting up to show me your BS? I'd love to see your beast in person!

Originally Posted by Eitan1
This car was up for sale on this board not too long ago. I am sure you can find the original owner and ask him some questions about the car prior to purchasing it. Having said all that, Why would anyone buy a BS and change the tires for a SOFTER ride???? It doesnt make any sense. Just buy something that suits your needs. That would be like buying a Tuxedo and the cutting the pants to make shorts. Just my opinion.
I got the PS2's for the street performance factor. The softer ride quality was just a side effect that I mentioned.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
I got the PS2's for the street performance factor. The softer ride quality was just a side effect that I mentioned.
This. The Corsas really aren't an appropriate street tire IMO due to heat cycling issues. Mine developed premature cupping issues and after reading of others with the same problem I switched to PS2's.

Now switching the wheels, that's just stupid.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM

WHT BS
I believe they're an Internet based dealer. They had a car I wanted in stock, gave me a more than fair trade-in value which is why I went with them. My brother lives 30 mins away, stopped by to make sure they were legit and to get the 996TT checked out for me.

Next time I'm in Chicago do you mind meeting up to show me your BS? I'd love to see your beast in person!

I was responding to Granes comment about narrower and higher profile tires. Sorry for the confusion. Ps2's are great tires. I would put them on my car if i could find a full set.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series

Sure, let me know when you're going to be in town next. I live in Naperville 2-3 miles straight south of that dealership.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by jrcart
Sure, let me know when you're going to be in town next. I live in Naperville 2-3 miles straight south of that dealership.
I frequent Naperville often, no luck spotting a BS. If you a 2005 CLK55 AMG in silver, most likely that is me.

Regards to Diamond motorsports, I have a hesitation buying anything from one of those types of dealers, supposed "high quality" used niche/luxo vehicles.

Everytime I go to check out a car at one of those dealers, there is always something a miss. The way I see it, if that car is there and not at a real dealership, it is for a reason.

I have had nearly 50 cars now, all bought local in IL except 1. The closest I have ever come to a purchase to that type of dealer was at Luxury motors, I did purchase cars there, but the seemed different as how big they where and then ended up buying actual brand dealers and becoming a Bentley dealer as well. I also worked directly with owner, which helped put my suspicion at ease.

To the OP, I would not worry about the mutliple owners, like others said it is a toy and a niche vehicle. It is bound to be recycled. With that said, there is something nice about buying the car from an original owner.

Again, if everything checks out great, except it has had 4-5 owners, I would not let that keep you from buying it. My Z06 had 5 owners, it checked out and bought it no regrets. Was a great car.

Last edited by Nachtsturm; 08-26-2011 at 12:57 PM.