CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

M156 Engine Class Action Suit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
76 220D
M156 Engine Class Action Suit

Is anyone here following (have any information about) the class action suit against Daimler AG/Mercedes regarding the M156 engine defects?
Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
yup

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ne-issues.html

http://www.benzbost.com/content.php?...engine-defects
put another o in 'bost'
Old 09-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 63 AMG BS
great, I just got the car and has 900 miles on it now, had 700. i did hear a slight ticking noise when it warms up , so is my engine going to blow up now
does this effect the BS?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by gestut
great, I just got the car and has 900 miles on it now, had 700. i did hear a slight ticking noise when it warms up , so is my engine going to blow up now
does this effect the BS?
Unless your BS has the special Toyota Camry engine swap option, I'd say you've got the M156 motor.

If this turns out to be an actual defect, let's hope MB/AMG remedies it and extends the engine warranty.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
does this effect the BS?
There's nothing for you to worry about, drive your new car and enjoy it. I have had the cams out of my car and I did not see any problems and there are over 7000 hard miles on my car. Obviously 7k is not a whole lot of miles but these motors have been around for over 5 years now, if there were any major issues they would have manifested into somting bigger by now. The the lawsuit envolves 1 vehicle and people on the forum this stroy came from have only heard of 4 affected motors total to date. I will make the same argument here as I attempted to make over there 4 known cases out of close to 30k M156 motors on the road worldwide is nothing to panic about. I will be paying attention to the suit but its not going to change the way I drive my ca. Follow your recomended service intervals and check your oil (these things do burn a little oil) and you will be fine. Besides your car is stock and you just purchased an MB extended warranty so. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Some of us with mods or who are out of warranty or soon to be out of warranty have more to worry about if this is a real issue that does not get "fixed" by MB. Once again for the record I don't think this is a real issue.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
There's nothing for you to worry about, drive your new car and enjoy it. I have had the cams out of my car and I did not see any problems and there are over 7000 hard miles on my car. Obviously 7k is not a whole lot of miles but these motors have been around for over 5 years now, if there were any major issues they would have manifested into somting bigger by now. The the lawsuit envolves 1 vehicle and people on the forum this stroy came from have only heard of 4 affected motors total to date. I will make the same argument here as I attempted to make over there 4 known cases out of close to 30k M156 motors on the road worldwide is nothing to panic about. I will be paying attention to the suit but its not going to change the way I drive my ca. Follow your recomended service intervals and check your oil (these things do burn a little oil) and you will be fine. Besides your car is stock and you just purchased an MB extended warranty so. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Some of us with mods or who are out of warranty or soon to be out of warranty have more to worry about if this is a real issue that does not get "fixed" by MB. Once again for the record I don't think this is a real issue.

+1 .... lot of jibberish noise ... 99% of it is completely unsubstantiated. Enjoy your 6.3L and rev it to hell and back. You will be fine
Old 09-28-2011, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Will this affect re-sale values?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
Originally Posted by betrezra
Will this affect re-sale values?
About as much as the Kraken affects luxury yacht prices matey
I wouldnt worry about this scare mongery

Last edited by WTDoom; 09-28-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
does this effect the BS?
The important bits from Weistec in the other thread

We have taken apart many of these engines, and have documented any issues (if any) very well. Some of these issues that have been mentioned in the class action documents seem to be perhaps "exaggerated". We have not seen any lifter or camshaft issues, but these are a few things that we have seen that can be a potential problem down the line, and can also be a problem for a customer returning with the problem at a dealership. This might also be a reason why the customer might have been denied any kind of warranty of the defected parts or whatever the case may be.

Issue 1: These engines take 0w-40 synthetic oil from the factory. If you have the dealership change your oil they put 5w-40 synthetic oil. Although MB isn't admitting any type of guilt here, they have obviously learned to change the oil. The reason for this is because the lifters are known to bleed the oil out when the camshaft is in the correct position overnight or for a few days pressing against the lifter. When someone starts the car the next day you get the lifter tick which many people have complained about. If this happens enough times, it will cause an issue, and this can perhaps be the reasoning behind this.

Issue 2: When replacing or simply removing camshafts the lifter will expand from the pressure. The problem with this is the fact that simply installing the camshaft can be a problem now because the lifter will now hang the valve open for a while, and it is a possibility that if can bind the valve spring putting unwanted pressure on the camshaft, lifter, valves, etc. Now these are 1 out of a million chances of causing serious damage, but again it is possible.

Issue 3: As someone stated earlier, the lifter is very flat where it meets the camshaft lobe. This is a little odd in design because the lifter needs to have some kind of ability to spin in its bore during its motion. It might have been beneficial to give it a dome like shape.

Lastly, just an FYI for guys running the M156/M159 engine. If you haven't driven the car in a few days and you hear an kind of valve train noise, do not drive the car. Let it idle till the noise goes away. Also put 5w-40 in the engine if you haven't yet. Thanks.

Steve
Weistec Engineering
Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by WTDoom
About as much as the Kraken affects luxury yacht prices matey
I wouldnt worry about this scare mongery
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Mine suffered from a few failed fuel injectors and they ended up replacing them all under warranty (at my request), but that's about it. 32k miles and no problems since then. Knock on wood