CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

True CLK Ram-Air Hood Teaser Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2011 | 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
True CLK Ram-Air Hood Teaser Pics

As most of us know these motors are starved of oxygen, when my Weistec Supercharger was installed there was an even bigger need for more air and additional cooling. I decided to have a hood built to address those needs. I am sure some of you guys are not going to like the styling but when I met with the guys making the hood I told them function and performance are my number one priorities and styling was second. Here are some photos of what they engineered for me. The two large air inlets taper back getting narrower before dumping off directly into the airboxes. Also note that new longer(larger) airboxes are being built as well that will seal off with the inside off the hood creating a true ram-air hood. There was also additional "tunneling" done on the inside of the hood to aid in heat extraction. Higher flowing MAFs and MAF tubes are being sourced as well.
Attached Thumbnails True CLK Ram-Air Hood Teaser Pics-img_5963hood1.jpg   True CLK Ram-Air Hood Teaser Pics-img_2969hood2.jpg   True CLK Ram-Air Hood Teaser Pics-img_2767hood3.jpg  
Old 09-29-2011 | 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by jrcart
As most of us know these motors are starved of oxygen, when my Weistec Supercharger was installed there was an even bigger need for more air and additional cooling. I decided to have a hood built to address those needs. I am sure some of you guys are not going to like the styling but when I met with the guys making the hood I told them function and performance are my number one priorities and styling was second. Here are some photos of what they engineered for me. The two large air inlets taper back getting narrower before dumping off directly into the airboxes. Also note that new longer(larger) airboxes are being built as well that will seal off with the inside off the hood creating a true ram-air hood. There was also additional "tunneling" done on the inside of the hood to aid in heat extraction. Higher flowing MAFs and MAF tubes are being sourced as well.
nice....i was just about to pm you if you ever got the hood done
Old 09-29-2011 | 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Looks like an exagerrated version of the 1964 Mopar aluminum hood...
Not sure what the raised hood area is made of, but you might want to consider a small center brace that connects the middle of the lower portion of the top section to the lower hood section.
You'd be surprised at speed how much a wide, high opening can balloon and be stressed.
As described it should be extremely functional especially with the air boxes sealing to it

Last edited by RBYCC; 09-29-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2011 | 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RBYCC
Looks like an exagerrated version of the 1964 Mopar aluminum hood...
Not sure what the raised hood area is made of, but you might want to consider a small center brace that connects the middle of the lower portion of the top section to the lower hood section.
You'd be surprised at speed how much a wide, high opening can balloon and be stressed.
As described it should be extremely functional especially with the air boxes sealing to it
Actually we kinda styled it after the 68 Shelby KR and 2010 KR hoods so as to try to keep a low of a profile as possible. I did not want big scoops ticking up out of the hood. The guys building it kinda had their hands tied design wise becuase in order to be functional they needed the inlets to be larger than the airboxes and the inlets had to be a certain distance back so as to not create turbulance so this is what they came up with. I am actually going to test it with and without the airboxes sealed. They said I might have some varying issues at different(slower) speeds with the boxes sealed. They said ram air is very complex and although this might work great at WOT on the track it might not be what I want for the street. I have a couple of track events I will be attending over the next seveal weeks that will allow me to get the set-up sorted and everything tuned perfectly, I assume the ecu will compensate for the new amount of air, but there may be the possibility that I need to have the tune tweaked as well.
Old 09-29-2011 | 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic

I Like it. It does not look racy at all. It look like part of the grille. Will the water get in on a raining day?
Old 09-29-2011 | 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Klinh
I Like it. It does not look racy at all. It look like part of the grille. Will the water get in on a raining day?
They tell me that water will not get in, they built a little drop down channel that the water is supposed to do through if caught in rain or while washing the car. They explained how it works, I didn't really nderstand so I just took their word on it LOL. Considering I don't drive the car in the rain, unless caught off gaurd the water/rain issue was of little concern to me, but I am happy to hear that they claim I can drive the car in a down pour at highway speeds and not worry. I will definetly let you guys know about that and take some better pics when the actuall hood is completed. this is just the mock-up for the mold, this is not the actual hood. What you are looking at is a stock hood I purchased with the custom scoop attached to it, they pourded a mold around what you see here and then they make the actual hoods from the mold.
Old 09-29-2011 | 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I suspect that is going to look sickeningly aggressive when painted and installed.

Nice work Jim !
Old 09-29-2011 | 05:50 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Great job! It looks like a manta ray. Your work has truly benefitted all on this board. I'm sure you're stoked with how it turned out and i'm sure maverick will come knockin on your door soon especially since he has the sc. My hood is nowhere as cool as yours but it's at the shop. Initial test fit is good. We'll see. It's hard to tell at this point.
Old 09-29-2011 | 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I'm subscribing..... I don't have a black... but I do have a supercharged clk55, so this might be of use in my future.

Please post up pics when it's done, and post some underhood pics... not sure if my kleemann intake tube setup would interface with what you have cooking here!

Nice to see some real pioneers in this hobby.
Old 09-29-2011 | 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by betrezra
I'm subscribing..... I don't have a black... but I do have a supercharged clk55, so this might be of use in my future.

Please post up pics when it's done, and post some underhood pics... not sure if my kleemann intake tube setup would interface with what you have cooking here!

Nice to see some real pioneers in this hobby.
I am not too familar with the 55 kompressor motor, I doubt the air boxes are in the same place so I don't know if it would function the same. I am going to be testing it with and without the ram air, one of the guys who helped design it seems to think it will actually perform better by simply forcing the air into the inlet and then running the filters open and at an approx 25 degree forward angle so if you did the same it would work on your car or any W209 for that matter. You guys will know which way performsbetter because the better way will be what I run.
Old 09-29-2011 | 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If there is enough interest I might go ahead and have them build me a half dozen or so extras. I am not a sponsor and I don't want to become one and I don't want to get in trouble to trying to sell something not being a sponsor, that would be wrong to all the paying vendors on here. I am not interested in starting a aftermarket parts company either. If I do sell any of them I will sell them at what they cost me to build, no need to try to make money off this project or off any of you guys. So let me know if there is any interest, I will post up pics next week with it installed and painted hopefully.
Old 09-29-2011 | 07:55 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
If there is enough interest I might go ahead and have them build me a half dozen or so extras. I am not a sponsor and I don't want to become one and I don't want to get in trouble to trying to sell something not being a sponsor, that would be wrong to all the paying vendors on here. I am not interested in starting a aftermarket parts company either. If I do sell any of them I will sell them at what they cost me to build, no need to try to make money off this project or off any of you guys. So let me know if there is any interest, I will post up pics next week with it installed and painted hopefully.

Have you seen the hood on the car yet?
Old 09-29-2011 | 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I want to see it painted, and installed, but def interested. I presume you would want a new mb hood to start with... or is this a completely custom pc? Cool project. And thanks for passing on the deal.
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I want to see it painted, and installed, but def interested. I presume you would want a new mb hood to start with... or is this a completely custom pc? Cool project. And thanks for passing on the deal.
I bought a new hood for this project. What you see in the photos is not even the actuall hood, it is a mock up. They fabricated and then scabbed on the scoop portion onto the donor hood I bought. If you look closely you will see that the edges are steel because that's the donor hood. They will pour a mold around this and then build the actual hoods out of the mold. They poured the mold today and were going to beging the hood late today or tomorrow morning, the first hood will be ready late Monday they tell me.
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wonsuk_utmb
Have you seen the hood on the car yet?
No, see my previous post. These photos are of the pre-mold mock up.
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
It looks like something off a 1968 AA/SA Hemi Dart.
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:14 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
No, see my previous post. These photos are of the pre-mold mock up.
I understand that, but is the company not able to swap your hood out before the mold is made, or is distance an issue.
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I understand that, but is the company not able to swap your hood out before the mold is made, or is distance an issue.
I am not following you, sorry. Please explain further
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:23 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
I am not following you, sorry. Please explain further
That mockup hood is actually a real w209 clk hood. Before making the final hood from the mockup, couldn't they place this mockup on your car to make sure you approved of the design.

I wish I had that luxury with the hoods I had fabricated, it would have saved a lot of time.
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Any plans for some mesh on the inlet side of the air intake? SS or black anodized or black painted?

I have a the silver clk..... thinking this would look good with matt silver wrap on just the raised part of the hood on my ride.

Can't wait to see fin product, and get your thumbs up after a 100+mph blast!
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any plans for some mesh on the inlet side of the air intake? SS or black anodized or black painted?
No mesh, just wide open. Its all going to be painted body color, at least that's my plans for now, might do the inlet ramp a matte black like I just had my grill painted. I won't know til its on the car and painted body color. I will know more then.
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That mockup hood is actually a real w209 clk hood. Before making the final hood from the mockup, couldn't they place this mockup on your car to make sure you approved of the design.

I wish I had that luxury with the hoods I had fabricated, it would have saved a lot of time.
I already approved it the way it sits. Like I said earlier I told them function over style, they said this is the optimum design so I said go with it.
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Bad-azz!
Old 09-29-2011 | 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS

Sorry for the thread jack Jim but how is your hood coming Won??
Old 09-30-2011 | 07:11 PM

'08 CLK Black, '08 SL65, '17 SL65, '07 SL55, '20 E63S Wagon, '22 E450 All Terrain
[QUOTE=jrcart;4853609]....So let me know if there is any interest..

I'll take one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: True CLK Ram-Air Hood Teaser Pics