CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Warped Rotors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 clk63 amg black series
Warped Rotors?

Hi guys, just took my black in for service and major vibrations in steering wheel under hard braking, car has 9200 miles on it, and according now to my 2nd dealer, i have extremely warped rotors... so bad they have to be replaced, i have only tracked the car twice, and not been to harsh on the brakes, has anyone else experienced warped rotors with such few miles on our cars? if so would evosport rotors be less susceptible to warping? and/or any other ideas for future use, the only mod i have done to the brakes was paint the calipers.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
On my first outting to Road America with the car several years ago I warped a set of rotors in about 45 laps(about 185 miles) on the BS but I have not had any problems since. Is it one side or both sides that warped? Regular road use should not cause a warped rotor in under 10k miles. I had an issue on another vehicle (M3) where I was warping rotors on the left side of one of my old M3's and we finally diagnosed a bad caliper that was just slightly hanging up which cause a slight rub, so slight I couldn't feel it but it was enought to build up lots of heat into the rotor which eventually warped it. Check you calipers and mic the remaining pad material thickness, significantly uneven pad wear from left side of car to the right can be an indication of a caliper hanging up or other problem.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 63 Black Series
I thought I had the same issue on my M5 but then read this article from Stop Tech and tried the bedding procedure and got rid of the vibration, at least most of it. Try this before replacing the rotors, can't hurt.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 12-20-2011, 02:42 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by spifffs
Hi guys, just took my black in for service and major vibrations in steering wheel under hard braking, car has 9200 miles on it, and according now to my 2nd dealer, i have extremely warped rotors... so bad they have to be replaced, i have only tracked the car twice, and not been to harsh on the brakes, has anyone else experienced warped rotors with such few miles on our cars? if so would evosport rotors be less susceptible to warping? and/or any other ideas for future use, the only mod i have done to the brakes was paint the calipers.
Did you run with ESP on or off? It is possible to warp the rotor very quickly depending on how you brake this car.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
also remember thats not necessarily a warped rotor . could simply be pad deposits or a number of other things . make sure the dealer not just trying to make a fast buck .
also sorry for stating the bleeding obvious , remember to give them a couple of cool down laps and NEVER apply the handbrake when you go back in to the pits .
Old 12-21-2011, 12:34 AM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
StopTech has a great article on warped rotors, its actual metal deposits on the rotors that cause this. This is usually caused by stopping the car with extremely hot brakes and allowing it to sit, the pad material leaves deposits which form hard spots. Since then, I learned the need to do at least two cool down laps and have not had problems since.
Attached Thumbnails Warped Rotors?-img_0074.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
Originally Posted by kent426
StopTech has a great article on warped rotors, its actual metal deposits on the rotors that cause this. This is usually caused by stopping the car with extremely hot brakes and allowing it to sit, the pad material leaves deposits which form hard spots. Since then, I learned the need to do at least two cool down laps and have not had problems since.
exactly
Old 12-22-2011, 01:25 PM

08 clk63 amg black series
Thanks guys you are all full Of useful info thank god for all the advicE I get on this forum I will be checking on all your suggestions My first inclination was that the calipers were the culprit after they got painted I'll keep you guys posted thanks again
Old 12-23-2011, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
can you post a close up of your blue caliper spifffffs?